Sign in to follow this  
d.walker43

ability to filter salt water

Based on my most recent death I have an idea for a new item/ability in dayz. You should be able to filter salt water to make it drinkable. I had run for nearly a half hour from the northern corner of the map all the way along the western border to the south-west corner, and from there I was going to make my way back east to Balota. I began to run short of supplies, and was thirsty for most of the trip. nearly to the coast, I was "dying of dehydration". the thought crossed my mind that it was salt water at the coast, but it was my only shot. I made it there, and obviously i couldn't drink the water. I attempted to run along the coast to a nearby town (i had seen it on the map, idk what the name was. It was between the corner and Balota and it had a water pump). I went unconscious on the way to said town, and obviously ended up dying.

Anyway, my idea is you should have the ability to filter salt water into drinkable water, or simply be able to drink salt water with some sort of added side effect. Have a filter that can be found as loot, or be able to craft an improvised one out of common supplies. I know this is possible, it has been demonstrated on shows like "Survivorman" and "Man vs. Wild" several times.

Well, that's my suggestion. Any thoughts or feedback are appreciated, criticizing is fine but please no just being a vulgar idiot. Thanks.

You can't easily filter seawater.  There are ways to remove the salt from sea water but as of right now there's no 'filter straw' or purification tablets (I stand corrected) that will remove the salt.  The simplest (and probably fastest) way to remove the salt is to boil it and collect the steam, basically requiring you to build a still.  Another way would be to dig a pit, put a container in the middle, put some salt water in the pit, cover it with clear plastic with a rock in the middle and wait.  That's a survival method.

I think drinking seawater should be an option however, just like how eating rotten fruit is an option, you'll learn to regret it and instead start to learn where all the wells and pumps are.

*EDIT*

That said, there are ways you can stretch out your fresh water supply using sea water, mostly by mixing in a little salt water with your fresh water (depends heavily on the salinity levels), and also provides electrolytes in the form of salt (but not too much to the point where they dehydrate you)

Edited by BigMike
  • Like 2

Anyway, my idea is you should have the ability to filter salt water into drinkable water [...]. Have a filter that can be found as loot, or be able to craft an improvised one out of common supplies. I know this is possible, it has been demonstrated on shows like "Survivorman" and "Man vs. Wild" several times.

Well, that's my suggestion. Any thoughts or feedback are appreciated, criticizing is fine but please no just being a vulgar idiot. Thanks.

Well, if you have those "filters", you'd be the richest person on this planet, because this would solve all the world's water problems. Even richer areas like California have a huge water problem and don't really use filter techniques.

There is a way to "filter" salt water, but this technique requires a lot of energy and high tech membranes. With a lot of pressure the salt water is pumped through those membranes, which only let the water molecules through and filter salt and bacterias, this is called reverse osmosis. You can't make the reverse osmosis on your own with some "kit", it requires high tech industrial equippment and a crazy amount of electricity. They even try to make electricity now with osmosis (putting salt water and normal water together), this shows the crazy amount of electricity needed for reversing it.

Edited by degude
  • Like 1

Now that is rather interesting.  First I've ever heard about something like that, though I wonder how 'healthy' the chemicals are for you long term...

I am sorry this happened to you but I don't understand how it could have. Almost all the towns and villages in the west have a well, in the extreme sw corner of the map there is a gas station/grocery store that almost always has a few bottles of water. Almost every draw has a stream. If you eat any canned foods, especially peaches, you get water also.

Now that is rather interesting.  First I've ever heard about something like that, though I wonder how 'healthy' the chemicals are for you long term...

The chemical bars remove the salt from the solution in the water, causing it to be crystallized. When water passes through the spout at the bottom of the bag, a filter keeps the salt from passing through, giving the user salt-free drinking water.

I guess most of the chemicals will remain in the filter along with the salt. Can't find out what kind of chemicals are used.

Anyhow, this should really be in DayZ.

Slow down in your run from airfield to airfield. There are these things along the way called TOWNS. If you can't spare an inventory slot over all the hoarded weapons and ammo, drink one of the 1000 cans of soda that are in almost every building or just drink from a well.

It is impossible to die of thirst in this game currently unless you actively try.

I guess most of the chemicals will remain in the filter along with the salt. Can't find out what kind of chemicals are used.

Anyhow, this should really be in DayZ.

Possibly, then again you can never be sure with chemicals.  I have to agree with most of the others though, water/drink is easy enough to come by now.  When they add infections it will be slightly harder, but not by much, you just won't be able to walk to a pond and drink without a chance of getting sick.  I would think the salt 'filters' (if added) would only spawn on boats (both vehicles and 'buildings') rather than randomly spawn anywhere else.  If you're on an island with no freshwater source that's one thing, but as I said, plenty of sources of fresh drinking water, while cool I would imagine it's expensive to have one of these kits.

You should be able to filter salt water to make it drinkable.

If you are reffering to the "filter", this is chemicals causing the salt to chrystalize.

This link is great, could have saved a lot of confusion  :thumbsup:  :beans:

Same here, so I did some research

First of all those "filters" are no real filters. The process works as following:

You fill the bag with salt water and add the chemicals which remove the salt from the solution in the water, causing the salt to be crystallized. In the bottom of the bag there is a filter which lets the water through but not the salt anymore because the crystals are to big now. There are two problems with those kits, they are very expencive ($600 for a new one) and therefore rare, maybe the ship in the north east could be a good spot for them. They are even so rare that there is no video on youtube of somebody trying them out. Second problem, it takes usually an hour until all the water is desalted, maybe this can be ignored for the game.

I couldn't find the answer for the question how "good" the water is, but they only say it gives you unsalted water which saves you from dehydration, so I guess it's "better than nothing". If I understood it correctly, the chemicals "replace" the salt in the solution but no guarantee that this is correct, I'm not a chemistry pro.  :P

But so far I like those kits, but I agree with the others here, dehydration is usually not a problem in DayZ (so far). It would probably be harder to find such a kit than to find water.

Edited by degude

How about making normal saline from salt and water? For volume replacement in bleeding or severe dehydration.

If I understood it correctly, the chemicals "replace" the salt in the solution but no guarantee that this is correct, I'm not a chemistry pro.  

I think the chemicals bind themselves with the chlorine and saline creating large enough chunks for to get stuck behind the filter.

Funny how no one on youtube tried it yet they're willing to trash new iPhones, Xboxes and whatnot.

You will never be too far away from a well or stream. Water tablets mechanic s sufficient, in my humble opinion.

I'd be ok with having those systems so long as it took a while to purify the water and they were incredibly rare (I mean, have you ever seen one?  Has anyone on here ever seen one?).  They should also add the ability to craft a still and make purified water that way -- including solar stills.

It seems like a lot of trouble to get water though... especially considering you can get canteens and water bottles all over the place and fill them in any town or stream.