Walker Tall

Seriously, they "just started working on vehicles" ?

A few days ago someone was reporting the updates on Reddit.    I was astonished when they said the team relayed that they "just started working on vehicles". 

Why is no one concerned that they JUST started working on vehicles?  Isn't something that complicated and such a huge feature of a completed DayZ that it is something they should have been working on for at least 6 months already?

On one hand, God Bless them for their honesty.  But on the other..........  We sure as hell ain't getting no vehicles until after Christmas. 

This is horrible news and yet no one has said a freaking word about this.   I have waited patiently for 5 days seeing if anyone else noticed this little accidental admittance of bad news from the dev team.

i dont want vehicles...

they have also stated that vehicles will be one of the last things they do....

Glad they are not spinning their wheels on that but are instead adding a host of other new features

• Like 3

That's pretty freaking convenient if we just all of a sudden don't want vehicles.....  The dev team must love people like you.   No one said we need 100 Heli's and 100 cars on restart.   And besides, what the hell have they been working on all this time if not vehicles?   We have seen very little core progress.   Are you not at least curious what they have been working on in terms of core?

In a real world scenario......    There would be working vehicles.       Why do you want a fake survival game with no vehicles?

Edited by Walker Tall

I don't see it as a problem since it's still early in the development phase, this is as expected. Starting on vehicles seems to be appropriate and we don't really know when we expect to see them but I would like it if they took their time to make it perfect. Comparing to Arma 2, it was very clunky, buggy(especially ATV's), and plenty of other issues that can go on.

Are you not at least curious what they have been working on in terms of core?

Navmesh, You know.. To stop zombies walking through walls?

Been their focus for awhile now. I'd rather zombies view walls as a solid entity, instead of a portal, Than have a vroom vroom when it only takes like 25-35 minutes to get from one side of the map to the other...

• Like 1

A few days ago someone was reporting the updates on Reddit.    I was astonished when they said the team relayed that they "just started working on vehicles". 

Why is no one concerned that they JUST started working on vehicles?  Isn't something that complicated and such a huge feature of a completed DayZ that it is something they should have been working on for at least 6 months already?

On one hand, God Bless them for their honesty.  But on the other..........  We sure as hell ain't getting no vehicles until after Christmas. 

This is horrible news and yet no one has said a freaking word about this.   I have waited patiently for 5 days seeing if anyone else noticed this little accidental admittance of bad news from the dev team.

Because vehicles were NEVER the main priority. Id rather they get everything else down first before working on that crap.

Ok,   You have a good point there.   I don want them to fix the zombie clipping first.   So I agree.   Thank you for adding a good point.    The desync and zombie glitching and all the client side problems are the first big ass problems.  I agree.   So maybe they can't work on vehicles until the other stuff is fixes.     I rest my question now.

Because vehicles were NEVER the main priority. Id rather they get everything else down first before working on that crap.

What the hell is a priority?   Zombies can still walk through walls....  hit me when facing wrong way........ and even hit me after I shot them.   (they still hit you even if you made a kill shot but they freaking hit you somehow before going down).

But, like I agreed..... I want them to fix the core problems first.   I guess I just simply gave up on them ever being able to fix client side desync issues and other core problems.     I think at this point, many of us are broken and defeated.     Maybe we can learn to shoot at people under desync problems.  LOL   just kidding.

Edited by Walker Tall

What the hell is a priority?   Zombies can still walk through walls....  hit me when facing wrong way........ and even hit me after I shot them.   (they still hit you even if you made a kill shot but they freaking hit you somehow before going down).

Ok would your rather they just leave everything broken to work on your cars than make multitudes of other cars without fixing the other issues?

If you want a game with cars ether play the mod for now or try Grand Theft Auto 5.

Adding cars wont solve problems it will just create MORE problems.

No.  I agree with you.      What I was saying is that if zombie problems were really a priority to the company, they would have been fixed by now.    Just my opinion so I can of course be wrong.

But I agree with you that it would be better to fix core before vehicles.   Thank you for the good points.

No.  I agree with you.      What I was saying is that if zombie problems were really a priority to the company, they would have been fixed by now.    Just my opinion so I can of course be wrong.

But I agree with you that it would be better to fix core before vehicles.   Thank you for the good points.

They have been working on fixes for the zombies. If you download the newest experimental and play allot of the zombies actually interact with buildings properly now.

"We had more important things to solve first" Would be my best guess.

Actually cars are not too hard at all, it shouldnt take long, there are barely any animations except wheels turning and doors opening. Its all script.

They have been working on fixes for the zombies. If you download the newest experimental and play allot of the zombies actually interact with buildings properly now.

Ah, but we are getting reports that it is not fixed yet.      Hopper zombies are still going through walls.       So it is not fixed.      This is another example of how the dev team, with all due respect, have a big job to do and maybe need more help.    

Actually cars are not too hard at all, it shouldnt take long, there are barely any animations except wheels turning and doors opening. Its all script.

And physics?

We don't want all vehicles to be like DayZ mod's ATV.

• Like 2

Ummmmm not to sound like an asshole...... But if the game can't even let us hit a weapon hot key and be expected to work...  (smashing number button to pull your sidearm)... then how in the hell can you say that adding vehicles to this game will be easy for them?    Have you played DayZ yet?  Have you not seen all of the core problems?   Nothing is simple for this game to work right.

When I played Pong on the Atari 30 years ago as a little baby, the controls were 100 times more responsive.   What world do you live in?

Edited by Walker Tall
  • Like 1

And physics?

We don't want all vehicles to be like DayZ mod's ATV.

I dont think they will have completed cars right away, they are most likely to contain certain bugs.

Honestly mate i don't see the problem in them just NOW starting to work on vehicles when there was so much early game breaking shit that honestly took precedence over a freaking Pick up truck or humvee. let the devs do their job if they wanna take there time to polish something and make it perfect then freaking let them. id rather have something that works as its supposed to then some half assed piece of coding.

There are more important things than Vehicles right now. I don't blame them for not working on them. They still need to change the game's engine

• Like 1

Ummmmm not to sound like an asshole...... But if the game can't even let us hit a weapon hot key and be expected to work...  (smashing number button to pull your sidearm)... then how in the hell can you say that adding vehicles to this game will be easy for them?    Have you played DayZ yet?  Have you not seen all of the core problems?   Nothing is simple for this game to work right.

When I played Pong on the Atari 30 years ago as a little baby, the controls were 100 times more responsive.   What world do you live in?

Bugs are there because its an alpha, most items are still just placeholders and not finished. And same will be for cars.

Moped's... that's the extent of the vehicles imho that belong in this game.  Loud, stinky, prone to breaking down...just saying.

People like you should leave the forums and not come back. They're recreating the zombie pathfinding mechanic, how they detect you as well as the gameplay engine. Please read something its not an overnight project. 

If you're looking for your thread in the future it will probably be here: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/6794-i-give-up-this-game-is-bull-i-want-my-money-back/

• Like 1

We all want vehicles as much as the next dayz player..

The team has been busy with other core aspects of the game such as the basic framework, first we had the modular inventory, network bubble,  then later physics, navmesh, ragdoll.

When they are added, Vehicles will be functionally, one of the most important aspects of DayZ, along with persistant storage, then after that Barricading. There are a million complications that slow down a development aspect such as this.

How will the network bubble respond to a helicopter loading in a team of eight players all at the same time, flying into another players bubble?

How will vehicles react with the newly implemented Physics engine?

What significance does the Modular inventory system have for vehicles?

My point here, is that these questions need to be answered long before development of vehicles even begins. That is why the development of vehicles has started so long after the launch of the Alpha back in December. This expands on to my next point:

If anything I think that it is a good sign that Vehicles have recently been announced as being started. It means that many of the other behind the scenes things are nearing a close and we are ready to start seeing more functionality and content. Tents (and other persistent storage types) are being added to the game soon and that will make for a different experience.

I understand the concern, I can't wait for Vehicles either, but nobody will be able to say anything other than - 'you have to just wait'. We'll be getting pretty substantial update to Stable soon, and I think this will be enough to tide many of us over for a while.

Tl:DR;

You have to construct a building from the bottom up, without the foundations at the bottom, the floors at the top would not exist. Other things in the Alpha development have been required to be completed in order to even let vehicles be an option at this stage.

If you've never worked on a game development process, you should probably not be offering opinions about the pace, approach or overall approach to developing DayZ. Building something like this is an incredibly complex project, and possibly the worst thing you can do is rush the process. Most software projects are rushed to completion, and software developers are almost always forced to sacrifice the best approach in order to hit arbitrary deadlines. Get over your sense of entitlement and stop harassing the development team about shit you know absolutely nothing about. It'll be done when it's done.

That's pretty freaking convenient if we just all of a sudden don't want vehicles.....  The dev team must love people like you.   No one said we need 100 Heli's and 100 cars on restart.   And besides, what the hell have they been working on all this time if not vehicles?   We have seen very little core progress.   Are you not at least curious what they have been working on in terms of core?

In a real world scenario......    There would be working vehicles.       Why do you want a fake survival game with no vehicles?

For the record, i wouldn't mind a vehicle or two...

but have you tried setting your car to pasture for a three month period or so? 

Try putting your car out of action for 10 years and see how well she starts without any kind of maintenance... yup, that's the world you're looking at bro.

Now if we're talking hangliders/parachutes/skateboards/bicycles (kinetic energy sans 'fuel') then you're probably on the money but shit rusts and tarps frey.

Edited by q.S Sachiel