Mullraugh

WWII German Gear in Chernarus

I know most of us want German WWII gear and helmets and Russian WWII gear, but I don't think this will be possible without... well.. backstory.

Take a look at this map I put together

jiGxX48.jpg

Chernarus is on the Caspian Sea, which is pretty damn far from Germany - plus, it's on the other side of the Russian border, not very convenient. The Nazi's would have had to fly/travel south and all the way around in order to attack them from the water of the Caspian sea - OR, fight their way inland to get a hold of that "nub" the Russian Federation (that's Russia for everyone who doesn't know) owns that's between the Black and Caspian seas.

Moral of the story:

It's highly unlikely that Nazi Germany would have been able to invade Chernarus unless they came in from the west- in which they would have had to capture (or at least parts of these countries) Poland, The Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Possibly Austria, Moldova, Ukraine, Romania, THEN travel around the Black Sea to Georgia, then past where USSR-Owned Takistan would be if it were real, then up to USSR-Owned Chernarus. Seems like a ton of effort on the Nazi's part in order to take over a few tiny little cities and some villages, which I'm sure had no value to the Soviet Government and wouldn't have caused them to surrender.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see some WWII Nazi stuff in the game, but it just seems very very very unlikely that Germany would launch such a massive invasion over the "nub" that Russia owns between the Caspian and Black seas.

You have the wrong location of chernarus...

Source:

Go to google maps and type in Povrly. It will take you to the location of Elektro.

Edited by SFRGaming
  • Like 1

It's not on the Caspian Sea, it's on the Green Sea, a fictional sea.

Chernarus isn't able to be located anywhere on the globe, because it's fictional. It's based on certain things... like the landscape of the Czech Republic, the conflict in Kosovo and/or Chechnya, the geopolitical situation of Georgia, etc. But it isn't those things. It's based upon them.

All they'd have to do is somehow, if they haven't already, incorporate WWII into the background of Chernarus as a country.

I don't see a problem with that, as all the major parties of the ETO... Germany, Russia, United States, and the United Kingdom are already represented in the Armaverse.

But yes, wouldn't be opposed to a few Kar98's kicking around and/or a few old Wehrmacht helmets.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 3

You have the wrong location of chernarus...

Source:

Go to google maps and type in Povrly. It will take you to the location of Elektro.

:emptycan: Hmmm, nope? It's based on the geography of the area surrounding Usti Nad Labem, but it's not the area itself. Chernarus is a fictional sovereign country, on a fictional sea, bordered by fictional nations in a fictional universe.

I will NOT stop replying to these posts, until the whole of the community gets this. It's a little thing, but it irks me so much.

• Like 3

:emptycan: Hmmm, nope? It's based on the geography of the area surrounding Usti Nad Labem, but it's not the area itself. Chernarus is a fictional sovereign country, on a fictional sea, bordered by fictional nations in a fictional universe.

I will NOT stop replying to these posts, until the whole of the community gets this. It's a little thing, but it irks me so much.

And in the first few seconds of this official ARMA2 trailer, it clearly shows Chernarus' location on a real world map.

Edited by mullraugh

It's on the Caspian sea according to here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?97143-Location-of-Chernarus-in-the-world

it may not be pinpoint accurate in my diagram, but that's where it generally is.

The ArmAverse is a alternate universe. I'd assume the Green Sea is a Casipan analogue, but there are other circumstances applied to it. At some time in history, Chernarus was a Principate of the Bohemian Kingdom some time after the fall of the Roman Empire. Which is pretty generous, but that's Word of God.

And in the first few seconds of this official ARMA2 trailer, it clearly shows Chernarus' location on a real world map.

I love that trailer.

It's on the Caspian sea according to here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?97143-Location-of-Chernarus-in-the-world

it may not be pinpoint accurate in my diagram, but that's where it generally is.

DayZ SA roads and city locations are based off of that area.

Edited by SFRGaming
  • Like 2

The ArmAverse is a alternate universe. I'd assume the Green Sea is a Casipan analogue, but there are other circumstances applied to it. At some time in history, Chernarus was a Principate of the Bohemian Kingdom some time after the fall of the Roman Empire. Which is pretty generous, but that's Word of God.

I agree it's an alternate universe, but it's so centralized to a tiny point on the world globe that if Chernarus and Takistan truly existed, they wouldn't have much of an impact on world history until just recently when the USSR fell and satellite countries/states started to become independent.

DayZ SA roads and city locations are based off of that area.

And that's just what it's based on, not where it actually is in the ArmAverse.

Edited by mullraugh

All it does is zoom in on the Caucasus.

I agree it's an alternate universe, but it's so centralized to a tiny point on the world globe that if Chernarus and Takistan truly existed, they wouldn't have much of an impact on world history until just recently when the USSR fell and satellite countries/states started to become independent.

And that's just what it's based on, not where it actually is in the ArmAverse.

"Where it's based on" Yea, and that kinda sets the tone for the game's influences.

Not that a bending of history is necessary, as Chernarus is wholly fictional and can be explained via fictional means (rather than an appropriation of "real-world" events).

Here's some facts that could lend to a "realistic" approach to explaining why there are weapons from Nazi Germany in a post-Soviet state.

Eastern_Front_1941-06_to_1941-12.png

Nevermind that the Germans actually entered the Caucasus.

Eastern_Front_1942-11_to_1943-03.png

From 1941 to 1945, during World War II, almost 700,000 Georgians fought in the Red Army against Nazi Germany. There were also a few who fought on the German side. About 350,000 Georgians died in the battlefields of the Eastern Front.[34]

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

"Where it's based on" Yea, and that kinda sets the tone for the game's influences.

They're talking about the Physical location of where Chenarus is, not the physical location where it is based on.

They're talking about the Physical location of where Chenarus is, not the physical location where it is based on.

Geographically, it's in the Czech republic.

The physical location it's based off of, IE the terrain, is located in the Czech Republic, that does not mean it is the Czech republic or they would have called it the Czech Republic instead of Chenarus.  There would also wouldn't be a coastline, but rather a river and land on the other side of what is now the coastline.

• Like 1

This is where you're wrong.

The landscape, the ecosystem/biome/terrain, is based on the Czech Republic.

Not the overall geographic situation of the country itself. Hence why there's no sea next to the landlocked Czech Republic, or, why there's not an arid Helmand Province analog next to Czech.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

1: in order to comply with international laws it would have to either be labeled with a Iron Cross or just negate any "Nazi influence" and just be "German WWII" helmet etc.

2: Chernarus is as involved in any fictional Nazi invasion as they want it to be.

3: I fully support German weaponry, armor and such however not so much, in that Era, most of it would have been buried with it's owner, or ruined. Many Nazi froze to death and were subsequently as tank trails (kid you not look it up) not sure that would be "pristine" condition gear.

WWII Russian winter gear once weather effects us would be cool.

Also stop trying to apply real world location and history to a fictional universe. This is a video game not a documentary! We don't have any restrictions in weapons, conflicts, or anything else. People screaming this is a former soviet state that turn around and cite it's based on the Czech Republic any American items should be removed seriously grind my gears. Go look up Czech/US relations, we are just as up their arse as we are with any country we play "world police" for.

So in closing I would be thrilled to see era specific German gear, however it's a find line to tread due to international laws (ie: swastikas as I recall are against the law in Germany) so an analogue symbol system would be required.

Arguments aside, the Location in my diagram is the closest we'll ever get to knowing Chernarus' actual whereabouts on Earth, and no matter how much we wish and wish for things to happen - such as adding old German gear to the game, it's all up to the developers and the people who actually created the ArmAverse.

I'm just pointing out that it seems a little far fetched that the Germans would attack Caspian Sea east-coast USSR due to it's remoteness.

All it does is zoom in on the Caucasus.

And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where it could possibly be located based on that quick "zoom in on the Caucasus"

Edited by mullraugh

I'm just pointing out that it seems a little far fetched that the Germans would attack Caspian Sea east-coast USSR due to it's remoteness.

Well you're in luck! Germany did push into the Caucasus, the region in which you're asserting Chernarus fits.

But, that's irrelevant. We live in a globalized society, with a globalized economy. Germany doesn't need to be in close proximity to Chernarus for there to be German gear in-country.

Well you're in luck! Germany did push into the Caucasus, the region in which you're asserting Chernarus fits.

But, that's irrelevant. We live in a globalized society, with a globalized economy. Germany doesn't need to be in close proximity to Chernarus for there to be German gear in-country.

Well I stand corrected then. Thank you for the information because I genuinely would like to see some extremely rare WWII gear.

1: in order to comply with international laws it would have to either be labeled with a Iron Cross or just negate any "Nazi influence" and just be "German WWII" helmet etc.

2: Chernarus is as involved in any fictional Nazi invasion as they want it to be.

3: I fully support German weaponry, armor and such however not so much, in that Era, most of it would have been buried with it's owner, or ruined. Many Nazi froze to death and were subsequently as tank trails (kid you not look it up) not sure that would be "pristine" condition gear.

WWII Russian winter gear once weather effects us would be cool.

Also stop trying to apply real world location and history to a fictional universe. This is a video game not a documentary! We don't have any restrictions in weapons, conflicts, or anything else. People screaming this is a former soviet state that turn around and cite it's based on the Czech Republic any American items should be removed seriously grind my gears. Go look up Czech/US relations, we are just as up their arse as we are with any country we play "world police" for.

So in closing I would be thrilled to see era specific German gear, however it's a find line to tread due to international laws (ie: swastikas as I recall are against the law in Germany) so an analogue symbol system would be required.

Wehrmacht never wore swastika's on there uniforms it was the Waffen SS that wore swastika's. The Wehrmacht had the iron cross and the eagle that i dont know what it was called on their uniform.  I would imagine that it would be perfectly fine for them to add in some Wehrmacht gear without worry of people screaming some neo-nazi bullshit.

My grandfather brought home a lot of "souvenirs" he picked up during the war. No doubt Russian troops did as well. So finding some Nazi gear would be possible.

Wehrmacht never wore swastika's on there uniforms it was the Waffen SS that wore swastika's. The Wehrmacht had the iron cross and the eagle that i dont know what it was called on their uniform.  I would imagine that it would be perfectly fine for them to add in some Wehrmacht gear without worry of people screaming some neo-nazi bullshit.

Wehrmacht did wear a eagle on the side of their sleeves, not depending on what type of unit they were. As well as the helmets also carrying the eagle, usually on either side as well as the Imperial German colors printed on the other.

For example, the coastal artillery also worn a breast eagle, and that is not counting the numerous of other divisions of which bore both insignias on the helmet, sleeve and jacket; As well as the awards and stamped equipment they had.

Edited by Santa fox