Sign in to follow this  
LeeVanSpliff

I demand my broken leg back!

Okay, yesterday me and my friend were running around in Novo. Inside the hospital stairwell, we turn a corner and run into a player. Normally we'd try and engage him in some form of conversation, but my friend was apparently about as calm as a chihuahua after the tenth espresso so he immediately fired a round.

Obviously all hell broke lose and reigned for the next few seconds. Random-guy fires back, I break a leg and get knocked unconscious, but not before I managed to land some shots on him. He gets away, presumably wounded and with a lot of bullet holes in his inventory. I'm conscious rather quickly (before my friend is done bandaging me) and I'm kinda looking forward to having to make it out of Novo with a broken leg, ruined pants and only a few rounds of ammo (DayZ peaks when you're screwed imo).

Anyhow, I don't get to enjoy my fail, because then the "no messages received" text shows up. After reconnect, our characters were set back to before our hospital encounter. It seemed a little suspicious that it happened JUST after our gunfight - and it wasn't a scheduled server reset because we had just had one of those. The guy didn't appear that impressively geared. He wasn't down either but he would probably have been bleeding and the gunfire might have ruined his bandages/rags.

Not accusing anyone, might very well have been a random crash or isp problem. However, I've got a few questions that some of you wise people might be able to shed some light on:

-Would people actually reset their own server over what looked like a mediocre set of gear? Seems very bad for server population.
-How long would it take from the time an admin deciding to reset the server to me seeing the "no messages" text? Must be a time-out of sorts involved...
-How often is character data transferred from a server to the db?
-Is it done by character or bulk changes for everyone on the server?

Edit: failglish.

Edited by LeeVanSpliff
  • Like 2

no timer

also, admin can do that for knee-jerk revenge .. its very easy to do.. it's a kind of combat log for admins

in that situation, I'd be deeply suspicious

certainly if there were 5 or less players, plenty of admins would do it without the slightest thought

a number of admins do not run their servers for 'server population'

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 2

A simple setting so that it takes 5 mins before the server is restart when a admin restarts it would solve this

Sure it might be a little annoying, but no more annoying than a chance at getting killed while remaining ingame after you leave for 30 seconds

This way if an admin dies and they try to restart they won't get their stuff back as in that 5minute delay their character will save as dead

• Like 3

A simple setting so that it takes 5 mins before the server is restart when a admin restarts it would solve this

Sure it might be a little annoying, but no more annoying than a chance at getting killed while remaining ingame after you leave for 30 seconds

This way if an admin dies and they try to restart they won't get their stuff back as in that 5minute delay their character will save as dead

See Jexter's poll and Beck's suggestion about exactly this

pretty much everyone agrees - except only one or two bad admins who won't name themselves

• Like 1

it's a kind of combat log for admins

The shitbaggery is mind numbing!

Nice, that would indeed solve the problem.

See Jexter's poll and Beck's suggestion about exactly this

pretty much everyone agrees - except only one or two bad admins who won't name themselves

Oh I read that poll as "should scheduled server restarts have warnings". I'd still have voted yes though, it's a fine idea.

Edited by LeeVanSpliff
  • Like 1

I've had this happen before, maybe 3x, and was never sure if it was coincidence or if I'd just nailed the admin who wanted to get his gear back. I've learned in this game there are very few coincidences...

He's funding this server, so his house, his rules. Plenty of public servers for you to use or feel free to hire your own.

He's funding this server, so his house, his rules. Plenty of public servers for you to use or feel free to hire your own.

Not really, no, this is from the server rules:

You may not perform the following actions on your server :

Restart server to farm loot

Restart server to protect your character integrity after dying

Kick players without just cause

Lock / Password the server

Not really, no, this is from the server rules:

I know the rules, and im sure he does too. But the fact is he's not hosting that $50 pm server to make YOU happy is he.

I know the rules, and im sure he does too. But the fact is he's not hosting that $50 pm server to make YOU happy is he.

No, he's probably not hosting it to make me happy. How does that make it okay for him to restart his server to protect his character?

If he did indeed restart the server to save his character, it obviously violates the permadeath premise of the game. And ruins it for all the people who're not even nearby but get kicked for no reason. Which is probably also why it's stated as one of the very few examples of unacceptable behavior from server admins.

This is a pay to play game, not a cheesy pay to win game. Whether he donates money to the UNICEF or a server doesn't really make a difference imo.

I'm kinda looking forward to having to make it out of Novo with a broken leg, ruined pants and only a few rounds of ammo (DayZ peaks when you're screwed imo).

This is so true.

Once it becomes difficult to stay healthy, injury free and properly nourished, and when sickness and injury have longer-lasting effects, it's going to make the game way more interesting in every aspect.

• Like 1

No, he's probably not hosting it to make me happy. How does that make it okay for him to restart his server to protect his character?

If he did indeed restart the server to save his character, it obviously violates the permadeath premise of the game. And ruins it for all the people who're not even nearby but get kicked for no reason. Which is probably also why it's stated as one of the very few examples of unacceptable behavior from server admins.

This is a pay to play game, not a cheesy pay to win game. Whether he donates money to the UNICEF or a server doesn't really make a difference imo.

It only ruins it for himself, which actually is debatable seeing as he's choosing to pay to host a server to potentially avoid permadeath in the first place.

Personally i find it disgusting people paying their hard earned cash and being forced to share their server with the ungrateful/duping/hacking public.

If they took away the ability to restart servers you soon find only the few hackfest call-of-berezino public servers remaining. I for one am quite happy to have a few admins able to restock/restore themselves at the cost of having access to thousands of servers being sponsored. A small price to pay i think.

Ah yes, because owning the server makes scumbaggery and cheating completely okay :P

• Like 1

foxdie_01, on 22 Jul 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

It only ruins it for himself, which actually is debatable seeing as he's choosing to pay to host a server to potentially avoid permadeath in the first place.

Personally i find it disgusting people paying their hard earned cash and being forced to share their server with the ungrateful/duping/hacking public.

If they took away the ability to restart servers you soon find only the few hackfest call-of-berezino public servers remaining. I for one am quite happy to have a few admins able to restock/restore themselves at the cost of having access to thousands of servers being sponsored. A small price to pay i think.

I am trying to figure out what your point is. Then I just decided your being an idiot here or trolling because your bored.

• Like 1

Ah yes, because owning the server makes scumbaggery and cheating completely okay :P

No but putting them in the same league as hackers etc is a bit unfair giving they're actually contributing something to the community.

And really, we're all capable of server hopping which is no different to just pressing the restart button

I am trying to figure out what your point is. Then I just decided your being an idiot here or trolling because your bored.

No, its because i spend all day fucking around the all-entitled lazy public on a day to day basis. Except here i can actually say "no, your wrong, he's contributing more to this community than you ever will all for this tiny little perk (or curse depending on your position). So after being in is house, enjoying his food. At is table. You then have the cheek to complain that he wont let you kill him. I mean seriously, if he didn't run the server in the first place the situation wouldn't even have materialised. 

No that's true he is not hosting a server to make players on his server happy

he's paying out of his own pocket to have an advantage in the game

and it works

.. hey, hacks work too don't they.. that's why they are such a problem and a pain in the neck

a lot of players want to play fair, and don't like that game-breaking stuff

if the admin wants to pay for unfair game-breaking advantage, he can always take his game out of the public hive, right ?

then he can play as unfairly as he likes

the public hive is where the players live, dude shouldn't mess with honest players

ya see ?

private servers will be here in a while, then admins can be as fair/unfair or as 'special' as they like - clan only, or pay to enter.. whatever

but that's not now

messing with the players on your server to get them to GO AWAY is cheap, not adult, pathetic .. it's sad sad kids stuff

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

AND an obligatory - built in - 5 minute wait before the admin can restart his server, with a restart message to warn players

would SOLVE this problem for everyone.. and there wouldnt be anything for anyone to get worked up about - admins could still loot farm, they could still kick players as they like.. they just couldn't do instant restarts. Problem solved. Go vote.

Edited by pilgrim

No but putting them in the same league as hackers etc is a bit unfair giving they're actually contributing something to the community.

And really, we're all capable of server hopping which is no different to just pressing the restart button

Whoa hold on there, I never said they were HACKERS. I just said they are cheaters :P Having the ability to reset a server to avoid death, injury, firefights, and the ability to reset the server for loot whenever you want is most definitely an unfair advantage, and yes you're right, anyone has the ability to server hop, but if a player is going to do that they're taking a risk. An admin who simply resets his own server to re-loot the same area takes no risk whatsoever in doing that. He knows there isn't anyone there already, and if he does, he simply resets the server (why wouldnt he) so it's harder for that person to come back.

Those admins are cheaters, albeit far from hacking.

Edited by DeatHTaX

Well,  we had the exact same thing, and WE got killed by someone who ran in our house with an AKM and just after that the server reset.

Lol.

And no we didn't restart it. It can be luck. :)

I can see where your coming from but that isn't the case

Open the filter and search "clan"

You will see the screen FILL with "CLAN ONLY OR BAN" servers, this is just the beginning

Imagine now that the devs give even more tool to the admins in the future

The mod ended up with admins able to view where other players were, what they had, even what they were seeing

They could use LEGAL teleports, maphacks, spawning in gear and verchiles

Plenty of mod servers like this, the SA will only have the same thing happen, because lets face it:

Nothing is going to happen in our defence, they arnt shutting down these kind of servers and most likely wont ever do that and because its not "Hacking", you cant ban them

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior

His server; Bohemia's rules. Pretty much refutes every statement you made after that ...

• Like 1

His server; Bohemia's rules. Pretty much refutes every statement you made after that ...

Those rules are neither enforced or enforceable. Its essentially just a good practice guide. That's because if they went around every server waving the ban hammer every time an admin took advantage of their position you'll soon find a very empty game table. Bohemia, just like you need these private admins to populate the game tables with their hard earned, infact they so badly want to distance themselves from potentially upseting these servers admins they dont even deal with complaints direct, they ask you to direct complaints to the server providers instead (and they're not going to listen to you either, as the server admin is their customer, not you!). So everyone turns a blind eye. So perhaps the community should accept the price of using these services for free, just like everyone else has in the chain. Failing that, put your hand in your pocket and buy your own 100% never abused server and play on that, or any of the public servers.

..//..

you need these private admins to populate the game tables with their hard earned

..//..

oh dude

why do you say "hard earned money" when you mean to say is  "its my money I can spend it on any 'fuck-you' activity I like" ?

we all earn money

maybe you mean server admins have more difficulty making their way in life ?

it's harder for them to earn their keep than it is for normal people with brains and muscle etc ?

I hire a server from a server provider

my money is earned, it is not "hard-earned", because I don't have a fuck-you attitude. I work and I get paid.

"hard-earned" means "next I'm going to complain about grifters and whiners"

"next I'm going to complain about all these people on my back pushing me down and stopping me from being a man and turning my life to crap"

etc etc. I don't have that problem.

I notice you also say in your work you have to deal with the public and you don't like them.

I guess when you play you have to deal with other players and you don't like them either ?

Someone who hires a server and then treats players like °°°°, with disrespect, and messes with their game is NOT doing a service to the community,

they are paying because they want to °°°° on other players.

the next time you're facing a member of the public at work

and that client spits in your face

and you ask why

he will tell you "because I'm paying for this place and paying for your time and paying for you to be here, with my cash

so I can do what the °°°° I like, my hard-earned money pays for this and if you don't like it you can quit the job and f-off."

You'll understand that, won't you ?

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 2

Those rules are neither enforced or enforceable. Its essentially just a good practice guide. That's because if they went around every server waving the ban hammer every time an admin took advantage of their position you'll soon find a very empty game table. Bohemia, just like you need these private admins to populate the game tables with their hard earned, infact they so badly want to distance themselves from potentially upseting these servers admins they dont even deal with complaints direct, they ask you to direct complaints to the server providers instead (and they're not going to listen to you either, as the server admin is their customer, not you!). So everyone turns a blind eye. So perhaps the community should accept the price of using these services for free, just like everyone else has in the chain. Failing that, put your hand in your pocket and buy your own 100% never abused server and play on that, or any of the public servers.

Did you forget that we're actually paying customers as well? Pretty sure the number of non-server-owners outnumber those who do own a server. (Read: "rent")

Not to mention that people who have already paid for the game are more likely to want to keep playing it so if a bunch of servers get shut down (how much does Bohemia get from that any way, do they license server software? I doubt they get a big cut seeing as how hosting anything costs next to nothing these days) new servers will pop up since pretty much anyone can do it without much technical knowedgle.

You just like to play the devil's advocate but that's cool.

Don't know if the server vendors aren't listening, no experience with that at all but I doubt Bohemia's largest part of their income comes from clandestine server admins.