Mjones (DayZ)

Remove LRS from Mosin?

I think they should remove the capability of mounting the LRS on the Mosin. Realistically speaking, it is pretty impossible to mount a scope other than the PU scope (side mount) to the Mosin without heavy modification. 

Also hoping they will fix the PU scope magnification.

With the new CZ Rifle coming out, it is best reserved for that rifle instead, as it is more suitable.

Thoughts? 

• Like 3

Sure once they add few more sniper rifles we might go with realism, until than, stay away from it. 

Also hoping they will fix the PU scope magnification.

Fixing broken sound didn't happen for more than a year now, if that's not priority than attachments are way down the line. 

Edited by General Zod
  • Like 2

You can mount other scopes on the Mosin in real life - its true that it requires some work but thats true for all weapon scopes (at least you have to calibrate it). In DayZ its plug&play for gameplay reasons. Maybe tone it down by requiring some tools and a little bit of time to add a scope but there is no reason to remove it completely.

In general I think attachments should be much harder to find (in beta/final) so most players have to rely on ironsights.

Edited by Evil Minion
  • Like 5

I know you can mount other scopes on the real mosin, but you must drill into the barrel and install a rail. The scope in game just sits on top of the barrel(breech), and its so low that it is impossible to clear the bolt handle. 

Edited by Mjones

I know you can mount other scopes on the real mosin, but you must drill into the barrel and install a rail. The scope in game just sits on top of the barrel(breech), and its so low that it is impossible to clear the bolt handle. 

Look we get it, LRS doesn't normally fit on mosin. But until they add at least few more long range guns they can't change that. And that's on top of fixing scope magnification. 

Edited by General Zod
  • Like 2

The Mosion should be compatible with the PU Scope

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006GOK5FE

but when other long range rifles are available and they render the mosin of its attachment functions no one will use it, just as the enfield in the mod

Considering that the mosin is more common and a civilian rifle. Once a proper loot system is in place and when they do fix the pu scope magnificatio; I don't see the problem of it not being used.

Edited by Mjones

the rail mounts under the rear sight dovetail (2 screws) - the only holes that need to be drilled are the holes required to mount the replacement bolt - the actual 9130 does not require the replacement bolt as the factory bolt is already bent to accommodate the rail and scope.

Look we get it, LRS doesn't normally fit on mosin. But until they add at least few more long range guns they can't change that. And that's on top of fixing scope magnification. 

Listen. I didn't suggest that they remove it right now. I am just reasoning with the idea of it's future removal

• Like 1

the rail mounts under the rear sight dovetail (2 screws) - the only holes that need to be drilled are the holes required to mount the replacement bolt - the actual 9130 does not require the replacement bolt as the factory bolt is already bent to accommodate the rail and scope.

I think you are referring to the "scout scope" set up with long eye relief. Sure you can do that with the real mosin, but the one in game is not mounted there.

Listen. I didn't suggest that they remove it right now. I am just reasoning with the idea of it's future removal

considering how simple it is to add a ringed scope (like the LRS) to the 9130 in real life your suggestion seems more than unreasonable.

considering how simple it is to add a ringed scope (like the LRS) to the 9130 in real life your suggestion seems more than unreasonable.

What is unreasonable is your lack of understanding in regards to the game's setting. Every Joe will have the know how and the tools to drill and install a scope not meant for the rifle, yes?

Listen. You're asking for realism in a game that has zombies.
  • Like 2

OP I must assume you have never owned one of these rifles. several years ago I owned a mosin nagant model 1891 (this was the first in the line and was manufactured by the Russian imperials during the late 19th century) and the first thing I did with it was investigate how to mount my scope. because this was the 1891 and not the 1891/30 (the actual model of the 9130) it required a bolt mod or a new bolt. had I owned an actual 1891/30 the bolt would not be required and I could mount my scope using the rail kit and the scope's rings - yes a real scope (4x 32mm) - I have never heard of a "scout scope" and I have been shooting all my life.

• Like 1

What is unreasonable is your lack of understanding in regards to the game's setting. Every Joe will have the know how and the tools to drill and install a scope not meant for the rifle, yes?

pay attention now.... There is NOTHING to drill.

Listen. You're asking for realism in a game that has zombies.

The dev's themselves said they are pushing for realism, zombies aside.

The dev's themselves said they are pushing for realism, zombies aside.

They can 'push' until their intestines drop out of them, zombies aren't aside - it's a Zombie Survival game.

I'm going to go ahead and guess you're tired of being sniped.

• Like 2

fortunately we already use the 9130 so the bolt handle is already bent. unfortunately the 9130 in the real world is horribly rare and expensive.

the actual 9130 does not require the replacement bolt as the factory bolt is already bent to accommodate the rail and scope.

because this was the 1891 and not the 1891/30 (the actual model of the 9130) it required a bolt mod or a new bolt. had I owned an actual 1891/30 the bolt would not be required

Uh, the 91/30 is the cheapest and most common and the Russians kept the same old straight bolt until they replaced the Mosin with the SKS... you must be thinking of the sniper version.

• Like 1

pay attention now.... There is NOTHING to drill.

OP I must assume you have never owned one of these rifles. several years ago I owned a mosin nagant model 1891 (this was the first in the line and was manufactured by the Russian imperials during the late 19th century) and the first thing I did with it was investigate how to mount my scope. because this was the 1891 and not the 1891/30 (the actual model of the 9130) it required a bolt mod or a new bolt. had I owned an actual 1891/30 the bolt would not be required and I could mount my scope using the rail kit and the scope's rings - yes a real scope (4x 32mm) - I have never heard of a "scout scope" and I have been shooting all my life.

Look at the game's depiction of the scope. Does that look right? Now back in real life, If the scope that is sitting on top of the rifle's barrel (as depicted in game) You telling me that does not require drilling for the rail?

I fully understood the other mounting method you described. But it is not where it mounted in game. Pay attention

They can 'push' until their intestines drop out of them, zombies aren't aside - it's a Zombie Survival game.

I'm going to go ahead and guess you're tired of being sniped.

what? do you even read? I want the scope to be mounted in other rifles (CZ) that they are introducing into the game that actually are meant for the LRS. 

Uh, the 91/30 is the cheapest and most common and the Russians kept the same old straight bolt until they replaced the Mosin with the SKS... you must be thinking of the sniper version.

it was about 25 years ago that I owned the 1891 and back then that was the most common iteration of the rifle (they were everywhere and cost about $50 to own). when I went shopping for later versions of the rifle all of the examples of the 91/30 were the sniper version with the bent bolt handle and they were all in excess of $1000. I did find a few examples of the carbines however but with the recoil of the 7.62x54r the 1891 was a better choice for me as it was heavy and its weight took a lot the recoil.

Look at the game's depiction of the scope. Does that look right? Now back in real life, If the scope that is sitting on top of the rifle's barrel (as depicted in game) You telling me that does not require drilling for the rail?

I fully understood the other mounting method you described. But it is not where it mounted in game. Pay attention

so you have a problem with the art??? seriously I am quite sure that my elbows in the game showing through my riders jacket does not look right but I am not suggesting that they remove the riders jacket from the game until a better fitting jacket is ready.

• Like 1

Sure once they add few more sniper rifles we might go with realism, until than, stay away from it. 

Fixing broken sound didn't happen for more than a year now, if that's not priority than attachments are way down the line. 

SA hasn't even been out for a year.....

What I suggested is more realistic than what you countered it with. I did not insult you, rather I countered your comment above. Get over it "adult"

Actually no, what you are suggesting is not more realistic.  It doesn't take much suspension of disbelief that some of the Mosin rifles we find could be the sniper version, or converted by hunters to accept more common modern scopes for  the purpose of hunting, therefore all it takes is either some art assets to change the positioning of the LRS to include a rail, or we could make this modular and require you to find a rail in order to mount the LRS on the Mosin.  These options would be more realistic than not being able to mount the LRS at all.

That is my belief, at least.

Please keep the offtopic bantering out of this Forum. There is no need for it and you should settle down before posting.

Comments hidden / topic cleaned.

• Like 1