massacrorBKK

Do you want to see persistant storage disapear with player death ?

Do you want to see persistant storage disapear with player death ?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see persistant storage disapear with player death ?

• Yes.
    • No.

I see some people talking about ability and fun to loot other people's tents. I never say that such thing should be removed. Of course the "tresure hunt" for other people tent must be keep in the game.

What I said was, when a player find another survivor's tent, it is by luck, or because he followed the survivor and found his hidden stash, etc. When a player's character died and his new born character is going right away to the other character tent, tell me how this can be authentic. You as a player behind you screen know where the tent is, but your avatar, just washed on the shore shouldn't have that knowledge.

The tent disapearance is not authentic, the survivor without any knowledge of the tent location running right away to it is neither authentic. As Caxton Gibbet said just up there, the key question is not how much it is authentic, but how it affect gameplay.

Personnally, I am for a permanent death where you lose all your item and have to start from the start.

The barricading is another question in my opinion. Barricade don't need to be remove while you die.

About the utility of having a persistant storage that didn't persist after death, I would quote Pillock who made this very well.

My idea of the purpose of persistent storage is so that you can keep a bigger variety of equipment to perform different tasks than you can fit into one backpack - not so that you can hoard spare guns to gear up with quickly as some sort of way to 'cheat' death.

If you want to go hunting or fishing, or you want to build a fire, or useful items, you can't carry everything you need in one go alongside all you weapons, ammo and medical supplies. So storage allows you to leave what you don't need for whatever specific task, and return later in the knowledge that it hasn't been wiped out by a server reset.

Hopefully, inventory size and weight will, in future, affect your character's ability to move quickly and quietly over longer distances: so if you're going to a gunfight, you travel light in order to be fast and stealthy, and not tire too quickly; you don't lug around fireplace kits and tools, which you leave back at 'camp'.

Edited by massacrorBKK

Nope, based on my experience with the mod.

Finding a tent that you can place usually takes some time, placing it in a decent spot takes time, finding usefull extra items and filling your tent with them takes a lot of time. So if I have to spend 2-10hrs preparing all that and face the risk of losing it if: shot by random player, killer ladder, bugged zombie inside the wall kills me, ACT death, my own vehicle decides to kill me for no reason, falling 5m and dying, some other bug kills me -  I'm pretty sure I'd never bother with tents at all.

• Like 1

This is, practically speaking, a stupid idea. If you are in a group and one person dies then it's all gone.

Absolutely not, there plenty reason but I will state one: Absolute break of authenticity. This is more then enough reason why they should be truly persistent. They are not your "soul linked" pets or something god damn it.

lol. no soul-linked pets, but constant reincarnation?

"you find yourself lost, hungry, awash on a foreign beach. you are soaking wet, your only possesions a flashlight and the few clothes you wear.

you sit down and for a short moment, you are attained to nirvana, all anger, fear and desire are gone. you are one with the universe.

suddenly, you clash back into reality, your mind burns with conflicting emotions... you remember your struggle, all the thousands of lives lived and deaths suffered. you concentrate, bring your last demise into focus.. yes... yes.. you see it clearly now, you last life, your death, all the things you have lost, and all the things you have hidden.

you look around. this is not a foreign country anymore, you are not a scared survivor. this is the everlasting apocalypse, and you know it too well. determined, you set course for your emergency cache to replenish your supplies, arm yourself, and then execute vengeance on those who ended your last life."

yeah. sure. authenticity.

see, i'd be all in favor of that idea, but i quit psychedelic drugs a few years ago, so no.

to all of you who say "storage is pointless if it does not persist beyond death" - then the whole attempt at permadeath in DayZ has failed. Then we can simply respawn with the items we had at the moment of our death. because then you cheat around the whole concept of of giving your virtual life value and making death meaningful. and since death and loss of items is s irrelevant, we could as well introduce fast-regenerating health. because losing health and dying doesnt matter anyways.

Edited by e47
  • Like 1

suddenly, you clash back into reality, your mind burns with conflicting emotions... you remember your struggle, all the thousands of lives lived and deaths suffered. you concentrate, 

Edge of Tomorrow

Live.

Die.

Repeat. 

Edge of Tomorrow

Live.

Die.

Repeat. 

haven't seen it yet. thanks for the reminder

face the risk of losing it if: shot by random player, killer ladder, bugged zombie inside the wall kills me, ACT death, my own vehicle decides to kill me for no reason, falling 5m and dying, some other bug kills me -  I'm pretty sure I'd never bother with tents at all.

Please notice that in my first post on this thread, I explain that the poll is for give your opinion on the question for the final product of Dayz. After the bugs and glitch have been eradicated. Right now, the game is quite broken and death mean nothing so, no need to implement this kind of feature right away.

Edited by massacrorBKK

Please notice that in my first post on this thread, I explain that the poll is for give your opinion on the question for the final product of Dayz. After the bugs and glitch have been eradicated. Right now, the game is quite broken and death mean nothing so, no need to implement this kind of feature right away.

I always enjoy it when people feel the need to point out that this is an alpha and there are still bugs... then someone has to point out that this is the suggestions forum for the finished game... so many obvious things that people apparently have trouble remembering.

• Like 1

More i think about this idea, less i like it.

More players in your community/clan, less you lose.

It just makes players way too unequal.

And OBV too many ways to exploit it also.

how about, when you die, you are locked out of the server you died in for a certain amount of time. You go to a different server and carry on playing, but any base you built, tent you filled, or base you barricaded is lost to you. I don't want to see this become a game where death is meaningless. Oh, I died, but that's okay... I can respawn, find my tent in that barricaded part of a town near the coast and gear up again!

If you do this, you aren't really playing DayZ. Usually my opinion is that ghosting isn't something I should worry about, as I don't do it. But if lots of people do this, then I am going to be swamped by other players with full gear. And they, with their full gear, will have nothing to collect.

Seeing as they have nothing to collect, they get bored. Can you see where this is going?

If we have both persistant storage AND the ability to stay on one server after respawning, then we will lose any hope of DayZ becoming an amazing game. It has so much potential, but this has the potential to kill it in one blow.

Edited by 11tw

Absolutely not, there plenty reason but I will state one: Absolute break of authenticity. This is more then enough reason why they should be truly persistent. They are not your "soul linked" pets or something god damn it.

Absolute break of authenticity ?

After the owner's death the tent continues because it does not die with the owner

After his own death the owner continues, and comes back to the tent because he does not die either.

.. hmm.. explain which of these is the break with authenticity ?

[edit: e47 said it first - I musta read the post in some other reincarnation]

Edited by pilgrim

to all of you who say "storage is pointless if it does not persist beyond death" - then the whole attempt at permadeath in DayZ has failed. Then we can simply respawn with the items we had at the moment of our death. because then you cheat around the whole concept of of giving your virtual life value and making death meaningful. and since death and loss of items is s irrelevant, we could as well introduce fast-regenerating health. because losing health and dying doesnt matter anyways.

The thing is, the average character life in this game is pretty short. Sure, you can hide in the woods and avoid contact with other players but most players don't. Keeping that in mind, storage would be almost pointless for most people if it did not persist beyond death. Like I said, not everyone uses persistent storage to hoard guns for endless deathmatching.

The thing is, the average character life in this game is pretty short. Sure, you can hide in the woods and avoid contact with other players but most players don't. Keeping that in mind, storage would be almost pointless for most people if it did not persist beyond death. Like I said, not everyone uses persistent storage to hoard guns for endless deathmatching.

The whole point of death in the game is to make you start over from scratch - not to randomly relocate you so you have to find your way back to your gear.

• Like 2

This make us ask again the question about what gameplay and what game is Dayz ?

1) Surviving including PVP, or

2) Deathmatching including food consumption.

The game may have no goal but it should have a direction (giving place too to other play style indeed). I wouldn't be rewarded for hiding in the bush while playing COD or BF !! Why should I be reward for playing PVP without good reason in a survival game where I can lose it all ? I think Dayz can have even more emotion, RP, difficulty and authenticity if you make death a real hardcore punishment

It would force the people to think, not just click...

An easier decision is about dead bodies

I would very much like to see dead players stay in game for quite a while

(and bring back flies too, they were cool)

BUT I want it to be impossible for a player to loot his own body

So you can ask your friend to loot the body for you, or other players can loot it, but you yourself can't.

I have noticed that in experimental lately your body is hidden by zeds.  I made it back to the body before me and when the zed left it it went poof.  If old me dies from a fall or some other mis-adventure the body will usually persist a bit longer.

I voted no, because to me that is too much like when zeds insta-spawn where you killed them.  What's the point of killing them if they just come right frigging back?

Edited by Barnabus

There are good points to both sides of the suggestion. I do believe the person that died should not be able to get the loot the old character stashed, but other players should be able to access it.  I do like the alternative as some people have suggested, your stashed equipment degrades over time when not interacted with. May be that timer speeds up on players demise so if they do get to their items they are in poor condition then they are required to fix them so worn is the best you have. That I think would work for both sides and I would be cool with it.

Edited by fing24

This make us ask again the question about what gameplay and what game is Dayz ?

1) Surviving including PVP, or

2) Deathmatching including food consumption.

By saying this, you're totally underrrating what persistent storage brought to the gameplay in the mod. There's a lot more to it than just people running back to their tent for moar PvP. Epoch was doing it wrong I agree, but not the vanilla mod. It's similar to how making a good survival game is not as simple as making food and weapons rare.

Only problem is, what if you kill someone while they're at their camp?

Their stuff just instantly disappears and you get no chance to loot it? That's going to break my immersion far more than remembering what happened before I died in a video game.

And what if someone dies halfway across the map while you're looting their tents? Should they just disappear?

Sorry, going to have to vote "no" on this one.

Simple question I wonder about, and what is the opinion of people on this forum.

Do you think that the permanent storage like tents or whatever the dev's will create for it should belong to one character (can be loot by other players too indeed), and when this character die, the permanent storage should disapear like the character body ?

Just say yes or no and leave some comments if you think you need to.

In my opinion, I would say yes for 2 reasons :

1. Keep the difficulty. Like for the people running back to their corpse for get their gear after dying, I'm good with the hide body option. I think the game is not hard anymore if you just have to run back to your tent to get fully geared again. You can have permanent storage as long as you remain alive.

2. Some people say the corpse of somebody who get shot shouldn't disapear cause somebody else could find it. They would say the same for permanent storage... I think it is quite dishonnest to say so... What is the percentage that somebody find a player corpse or a permanent storage by luck ? I don't know but surely not a lot. What is the percentage that somebody find his corpse or his permanent storage after dying ? 200%. To make the permanent storage remaining after someone die serve only the purpose that this person can get back his gear and not for somebody else to loot it in the meanwhile.

Last thing ! I making this poll to ask people what they think and if they want to see this feature happens when the game will work and be completly functionnal (no glitch that kill you without reason). I have no shame to say that I've done the run to my body exploit with help of some friends to get back my gear, but only because my character died on one of those fucking ladder, and I considered that I wouldn't have died without the glitch of the game.

You obviously never played the mod. It's not like you respawn and instantly run to your tent to reequip most of the time. You know that you need to store things there first , in a hidden away place... 

degradation of items there is utterly unnecessary, as you don't always run up to your tent and therefore can not use it's contents. It's also unlikley that your tent will remain undiscovered for more than 2 weeks.

Edited by Khanarac

No not wing able to access my previous camp/having it disappear is far worse than the current state of the game. While your logic is partially sound, I didn't die a character did. Being able to loot my own corpse or tent has nothing to do with my toon.

What you're suggesting completely negates persistent storage. If the player that built the storage can't access it. It's just a tent/base with items. Honestly if player built houseing includes locks that require a key, this problem kind of solves itself. I'll have to 1) run to my house 2) find and axe or sledge hammer etc if I can't make it back to my body in "x amount of time" and break down the door 3) rebuild a door and lock to keep my area secure.

Yes some people will stock pile guns and ammo. Many however (like myself) will stock pile rations and survival gear.

The fact that there are only a few places (at the moment) people go to means a slim number of paths which means a huge number of game trails (areas frequented by "game" and this stalked by predators) so the areas most people hide their tents will be in areas near these and not as hard to find. Sure survivalist might hide their tent in say Bumphuck Egypt so that it's an hour hike to re-gear and then hike back to Elektro or NWAF. But the chances of dying during that hike are increased.

Also the fact that for you to be able to stockpile requires in most cases multiple trips to and from camp increasing the odds that you will be ill owes balances this as well!

Having tents degrade over time without interaction is fine with me, it's also mildly realistic. You leave a tent in the woods it's going to get snooped in by wildlife and affected by the weather. But having it lock or just disappear is not something I want to see. 0.02

Edited by Lithium1056

the problem isn't the persistant storage, in fact I think that making it disappear when you die would add more problems than it fixed.

However, the problem is that people can respawn on the server and get their stuff. I think the Devs should implement a timed wait to get back in to the server you just died in, and if after that time you return and your stuff is still there, then kudos. I can't think of a better solution, but without the wait the game would be ruined by the fact that death would be meaningless.

I think a middle ground approach would be in order.

If a player dies, the tent containing all of his collected goods inside just dies with the player. So, what would be left is the goods scattered on the ground unprotected from the elements gathering natural degrading effects worsening as time passes. What is left there would be available to another player coming upon it. 

The goods left would be available to the re-incarnated player in a extremely degraded (weathered) state no matter how much or little time it was left unprotected.

Edited by Tashtego