massacrorBKK

Do you want to see persistant storage disapear with player death ?

Do you want to see persistant storage disapear with player death ?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see persistant storage disapear with player death ?

• Yes.
    • No.

Simple question I wonder about, and what is the opinion of people on this forum.

Do you think that the permanent storage like tents or whatever the dev's will create for it should belong to one character (can be loot by other players too indeed), and when this character die, the permanent storage should disapear like the character body ?

Just say yes or no and leave some comments if you think you need to.

In my opinion, I would say yes for 2 reasons :

1. Keep the difficulty. Like for the people running back to their corpse for get their gear after dying, I'm good with the hide body option. I think the game is not hard anymore if you just have to run back to your tent to get fully geared again. You can have permanent storage as long as you remain alive.

2. Some people say the corpse of somebody who get shot shouldn't disapear cause somebody else could find it. They would say the same for permanent storage... I think it is quite dishonnest to say so... What is the percentage that somebody find a player corpse or a permanent storage by luck ? I don't know but surely not a lot. What is the percentage that somebody find his corpse or his permanent storage after dying ? 200%. To make the permanent storage remaining after someone die serve only the purpose that this person can get back his gear and not for somebody else to loot it in the meanwhile.

Last thing ! I making this poll to ask people what they think and if they want to see this feature happens when the game will work and be completly functionnal (no glitch that kill you without reason). I have no shame to say that I've done the run to my body exploit with help of some friends to get back my gear, but only because my character died on one of those fucking ladder, and I considered that I wouldn't have died without the glitch of the game.

• Like 2

Simple question I wonder about, and what is the opinion of people on this forum.

Do you think that the permanent storage like tents or whatever the dev's will create for it should belong to one character (can be loot by other players too indeed), and when this character die, the permanent storage should disapear like the character body ?

1. Keep the difficulty. Like for the people running back to their corpse for get their gear after dying, I'm good with the hide body option. I think the game is not hard anymore if you just have to run back to your tent to get fully geared again. You can have permanent storage as long as you remain alive.

2. Some people say the corpse of somebody who get shot shouldn't disapear cause somebody else could find it. They would say the same for permanent storage... I think it is quite dishonnest to say so... What is the percentage that somebody find a player corpse or a permanent storage by luck ? I don't know but surely not a lot. What is the percentage that somebody find his corpse or his permanent storage after dying ? 200%. To make the permanent storage remaining after someone die serve only the purpose that this person can get back his gear and not for somebody else to loot it in the meanwhile.

Last thing ! I making this poll to ask people what they think and if they want to see this feature happens when the game will work and be completly functionnal (no glitch that kill you without reason). I have no shame to say that I've done the run to my body exploit with help of some friends to get back my gear, but only because my character died on one of those fucking ladder, and I considered that I wouldn't have died without the glitch of the game.

I would like to see it disappear if noone touches it for some time (maybe 4 hours) after the dead of the player it belonged to (or even if he's still alive but didn't touch it for one week or so)

Tents should be open to everyone, that issue of looting is a problem for many and a great gift for others. To solve that while still letting players be able to loot stranger tents would be to add in camouflage. Not just the tent but where we could chop bushes and branches down an collect them, then cover our tent up with them, there should be a certain extent to how much they look like a bush, like you could see maybe the tips of the tent coming out. The game wouldn't say "Cannot apply anymore." that would make it feel restricted and limited and ruining the simulation, it should maybe say "Cannot apply due to weight pressed on object." making the player understand that the tent could collapse. As to bodies, they should be open for looting and we could drag them out of sight in a bush since if anyone cross sees the body, he would know something went down here and he should take caution, also a body should de-spawn  within maybe 6-8 hours, slowly falling into the ground or something. If a player owns something like a tent and dies, the tent shouldn't de-spawn for maybe 5 days since if it was kept forever that may create massive amounts of lags, if someone comes along and opens the tent before 5 days, that tent becomes his and will not de-spawn anymore, and it will also say so, that it is his now. I don't know about players being able to steal tents though or belongings from others, since it's the same as stealing a vehicle. Any ideas?

It´s persistent.. or not ?
For me, its a way of hiding stuff that for WHEN I DIE
i can retrive what i had saved for bad times.
Whats the meaning of a permanent storage, when it degrades after the player dies ?
Help me out.. maybe i´ll get it then..

Edited by dawud
  • Like 7

What I enjoyed most in the mod was running over other people's tents with my BIG ASS TRUCK! After taking all the useful things, of course.

So no, shouldn't disappear. A maximum number of tents per player would be in order. Can't recall if there was one.

• Like 1

There was nothing better than coming across someone elses secret stash in a forest in the middle/or edge of nowhere.

On the other hand i never liked the idea of loading up a tent with 15 guns and shitloads of ammo and when you died you could get fully geared up again in 30 minutes.  Pretty soon everyone is geared to the hilt and we go through the old "PvP cos i'm bored" routine again.

Perhaps there needs to be a timer that kicks in after death.

• Like 3

yes I want because this give more value of the life also if you dieing and after run to some hide the loot place how you know is there when persons who putting is die? so is no reality system if loot is stay permanent after you is dieing

wow - difficult question dude.

To keep the game sharp: I think the answer has to be Yes - when you die you loose everything.

but what happens if storage is shared, if the original owner of the container - the person who placed it - dies ? then it all vanishes, right ?

what happens to vehicles, barricades, bases ?

I guess these things can't hang around "for ever" just because someone created them once... so what to do ?

e.g. you build a base (or plant a tent) you fill it with stuff - when you die the stuff vanishes, does the base or the tent vanish too ?

suppose it is a friend's tent - does his stuff vanish, or only yours, or neither because it is not your tent ?

An easier decision is about dead bodies

I would very much like to see dead players stay in game for quite a while

(and bring back flies too, they were cool)

BUT I want it to be impossible for a player to loot his own body

So you can ask your friend to loot the body for you, or other players can loot it, but you yourself can't.

• Like 1

People would hoard like an AMC special. This would and could break the entire game dynamic. If people knew they could gear up again, that would totally change the way they played. People would kamakazi all over the place.

And let's talk about the realism/immersion factor. You have a stash... and you die. Unless this game is about reincarnation, how would you know where to find things stored in a previous life. It's almost wrong to be able to loot your own body after dying (which I have never been able to do).

• Like 3

Timer won't help unless it's short, because you will be able get to it in time. On the other hand why else would I hide and store things ? I can get most thing I need on the go, so the only reason for storage is to use if after you loose things. 

Whats the meaning of a permanent storage, when it degrades after the player dies ?

Help me out.. maybe i´ll get it then..

It does not despawn if you leave the area, the server, it persists beyond server restarts.

player storage needs to degrade over time. otherwise we will have a massive item inflation in no time. there are different systems possible.. in the mod, tents despawned if not interacted with for a certain amount of time (no matter if it was the owner or not) iirc. it wasnt enough.

i can imagine a constant decay with active upkeep required, like constantly adding sticks, scrap metal etc once every 8 hours to keep the storage pristine. otherwise it would lose one quality level per time frame and eventually despawn when ruined.

My idea of the purpose of persistent storage is so that you can keep a bigger variety of equipment to perform different tasks than you can fit into one backpack - not so that you can hoard spare guns to gear up with quickly as some sort of way to 'cheat' death.

If you want to go hunting or fishing, or you want to build a fire, or useful items, you can't carry everything you need in one go alongside all you weapons, ammo and medical supplies. So storage allows you to leave what you don't need for whatever specific task, and return later in the knowledge that it hasn't been wiped out by a server reset.

Hopefully, inventory size and weight will, in future, affect your character's ability to move quickly and quietly over longer distances: so if you're going to a gunfight, you travel light in order to be fast and stealthy, and not tire too quickly; you don't lug around fireplace kits and tools, which you leave back at 'camp'.

As I understand it, the devs' goal regarding persistent items is to eventually make everything persistent, not just things you put in certain 'storage' containers such as tents or vehicles. You could leave fishing equipment in a backpack near a lake so that you can always go there if you need/want to; you could hide a gun somewhere near your location so you can run there if threatened; you could collect books; etc.

Regarding persistent storage as as means to defy death: in my view, you should be locked out of the server you died on for 24 hours, to prevent people re-gearing off their old corpse or stored items. It would also force you to start afresh in a new server where you don't know the whereabouts of other players and loot, and you can't rejoin a gunfight that you were fairly and squarely eliminated from. This'd mean you properly have to start again from scratch after a death - as it should be. The only exception to this would be server admins on their own server - you have one steam account nominated as admin for each server, and they and only they get to respawn on that server after death, as a perk for providing others with a place to play for free.

• Like 1

I don't want permanent storage magically linked to the lifeforce of anyone. It should persist even if the owner dies or switches server and it should be lootable by everyone although at some difficulty.

Lets say you have a chest with a lock and two keys. Everyone who has one of the keys can access it freely. Everyone else has to break open the chest one way or the other or manage to open the lock which can take quite some time and might create quite some noise. Maybe special equipment is needed.

• Like 1

I disagree with you on this, think about this.

it takes a very long time to run across the map. most of the time you would spawn very far away from your tent, and most likely the bandit that killed you or somebody else would come along and loot it. it kind of ruins the point of storing things in it if it goes away anyway when you die. My idea is make it like a gravestone in Runescape. Give the player a certain amount of time, say like 15 minutes to run back to their tent and get the items before the tent disappears. During this time it can still be looted by others. Have no waypoint or anything showing where the tent is, so if you were in the middle of the woods it would be very hard to find.

if you die or not..
a tent, is a tent, is a tent.

• Like 1

Nope, definitely not. There seem to be a lot of suggestions what should be done with tents but bugs aside, they were pretty much perfect in the mod IMO. Yes, people could hoard gear and guns but you could find such big camps pretty easily and destroy them with nothing but a hatchet. Being able to access your tent after dying is not a problem. Some would argue it promotes KoS and deathmatching but I actually think it has the opposite effect overall. Lots of people will change the way they play once they're able to "safely" store the useless junk they find.

• Like 2

On the other hand i never liked the idea of loading up a tent with 15 guns and shitloads of ammo and when you died you could get fully geared up again in 30 minutes.  Pretty soon everyone is geared to the hilt and we go through the old "PvP cos i'm bored" routine again.

To be Fair, thats already in the game

But i agree, nothing was more fun than Tent hunting in the mod 

The best (and most simple) way to make them properly persistent along with not creating mass stash tents full of Mosins, Would be to simply have Them with reduced space, so they can only hold 1-2 weapons and a few attachments and Include a script so they cant be placed on top of each other. 

Doing that makes people not be able to mass store High level gear, and makes them think twice before having 4-5 tents in the same location 

I think the issue currently is with memory constraints - but ignoring the software side, I would like to see _all_ items be persistent.

It would be awesome if I could go into a town and drop some gear into a cabinet in a random house, then come back for them later if I need to.

Personally, I hate the idea of leaving gear for your reincarnation... doesn't make sense at all that a person would crawl onto a beach and know instinctively where to find a dead guy's cache of gear -- but then having gear disappear for no reason makes no sense as well.  Perhaps the solution should be to link gear dropped by a person to that life.  If they come back in a subsequent life, they won't be able to grab or use the gear - ever, but others could.

• Like 1

To be Fair, thats already in the game

But i agree, nothing was more fun than Tent hunting in the mod 

The best (and most simple) way to make them properly persistent along with not creating mass stash tents full of Mosins, Would be to simply have Them with reduced space, so they can only hold 1-2 weapons and a few attachments and Include a script so they cant be placed on top of each other. 

Doing that makes people not be able to mass store High level gear, and makes them think twice before having 4-5 tents in the same location 

This seems interesting

Suppose you have a persistant tent, or a stash, that is about the same as a backpack now. So you could keep gear in it but NO main weapons - only a shotgun or a pistol, as well as other 'small' loot. You could keep spare stuff in it while you were alive.. food, matches, knife, ammo, whatever.. but it would not be an endgame stash when you got killed.

In the Mod, the real "endgame" was in fact the experienced uber-players with a couple or three of tents hidden on two or three different servers, full of collected hardware. So being killed meant you only had to log in and go back to any of your tents to gear up completely. Then you wandered around (not afraid of death) and picked up choice items from NWA and helicrashes. You could have 2 or 3 of everything "rare" stocked away, if you wanted. Plenty did this.

A persistant stash with no weapons space might give the best of both game styles ?

[edit: but damn yes, it's true.. in the Mod - hunting and following until you track down a tent camp full of leet gear, and either destroying the tents, or staking it out, or taking stuff you want from time to time..that was GOOD gameplay. I admit it, a lot of players got emotional or went postal totally, over camp raids]

Edited by pilgrim

I feel it has to be removed if you die. I think that, at the very least, access has to be removed from the player once they die, anything short of this, giving a player access to previously stashed gear, would  completely negate the permadeath nature of the game.

Seems to me that one key aspect to DayZ is creating ways to give value to your avatar, a reason to want to keep it alive. The greater the loss the greater the risk...

Absolutely not, there plenty reason but I will state one: Absolute break of authenticity. This is more then enough reason why they should be truly persistent. They are not your "soul linked" pets or something god damn it.

Edited by Darke

I think the issue currently is with memory constraints - but ignoring the software side, I would like to see _all_ items be persistent.

It would be awesome if I could go into a town and drop some gear into a cabinet in a random house, then come back for them later if I need to.

Personally, I hate the idea of leaving gear for your reincarnation... doesn't make sense at all that a person would crawl onto a beach and know instinctively where to find a dead guy's cache of gear -- but then having gear disappear for no reason makes no sense as well.  Perhaps the solution should be to link gear dropped by a person to that life.  If they come back in a subsequent life, they won't be able to grab or use the gear - ever, but others could.

This somehow.

Let`s say all items are server-bound and persistent. I.e there are only 10 M4s that spawn. When you die somebody else can pick it up. If yo store it away somebody else can find it. If it gets ruined it respawns.

Now add that items in the storage container/tent/whatever degrade. If you don`t maintain them weekly they degrade and if they get ruined they respawn. 

Have fun tracking players back to their base.

..........They are not your "soul linked" pets or something god damn it.

Then how would you explain the knowledge you have, of their location and contents, the moment you awake as a new character, I mean, if you're talking about 'authenticity' and them not being linked to you, how do you square the circle of having that knowledge? I mean no offence, and I understand your point. However, it seems to me, the key question here is not "is it authentic or not", The key question here is,  how will affect game play and to what extent will it dilute or even negate the permadeath nature of DayZ.

No.

I do think that stored items should degrade, however.

Removing stored items after death makes storing items pointless. The same goes for base building. Should all of my barricades and whatnot disappear because I died? Of course not, so neither should my stored items.

However I do think that storing a large number of weapons could lead to problems already addressed, and I think a slow degradation of weapons over a course of many days would be the best solution to this problem.