Sign in to follow this  
PencilTips

Food Aspect - Surviving with Energy

Some people in the game can just log off and come back with all of their inventory items and health just as they left it. There should be a better reason for us to go out and find food more often. Before we go off and we can look at our food supply and that will tell us somewhere in the inventory how many days can be spent logged off with the food supply you have left. So while you are off, your character is waiting standby still consuming food and drinks that you have available. So there's a reason to keep coming back and check on their characters health. 

There's still a reassurance though, if you cannot for some reason open DayZ to check on the character for the time the character has been left on stand by, and he runs out of food, when you come back you will be left very hungry and have maybe 20 minutes or 10 minutes until you starve to death. This is just so characters are not lost so easily. What do you think? Give me your beans if you like my idea! I need to survive too you know?!

this sorta happened very early on  in the mod, your character would remain there until you logged back in but it didn't consume your food, it wasn't very popular with the player base though I liked it, I like your id4ea of the character consuming food maybe not staying in the world though but would be hard to track and would clog up servers

You'll probably go hungry faster when they introduce sickness, contaminated water, a penalty to being soaked ... You know, once the environment can actually kill you.

I recall it being a lot more difficult to stay energized in the mod than it has ever been in SA.

No I don't want my survivor to starve to death because I am unable to play for a few weeks. However, reducing energy and water levels by a moderate fixed amount whenever you log off could be a nice thing to make people worry about supplies.

Edited by Evil Minion
  • Like 1

I dont like the idea of being forced to play everyday just to stay alive, Haveing the food and drink drop by half would be perfect though,

Maybe some foods could be perishable like meat's could be fun if they add in ways of preserving food as well.

I don't really like the idea b/c not everyone can play every day... it's basically punishing a particular play style which is against the core ideals of the game devs.

• Like 2

People aren't reading everything! If you can't play everyday then if you're off for example a year, you would be extremely hungry and all your food supplies are gone.

this sorta happened very early on  in the mod, your character would remain there until you logged back in but it didn't consume your food, it wasn't very popular with the player base though I liked it, I like your id4ea of the character consuming food maybe not staying in the world though but would be hard to track and would clog up servers

Yeah, you're character wouldn't be in a server. Maybe there's a large massive server that holds data for each player, that data is all calculated and changes how your characters health is, when you come back, the server you go on sorts that stuff out even better. So that giant server would just be a data collecter an supplier. Or even maybe if it's too much, when you log off and comeback, it checks how long you've been off and decreases the amounts of health or whatever.

The day this game forces me to play every day without risk of penalty will be the last day I play it. That will turn this game into an annoying iPad/phone game.

I go on vacation and my character suffers? Nope. Who needs that kind of stress? Keep continuing to make the game better and better as you have and I will keep coming back.

I think the best thing they can do with food at the moment, is make it harder to get.

Currently the only time you ever starve to death is when you're on a 100 player server and everybody's on the coast.

I think starving to death should be a more common occurence, especailly early in a characters life, being nearby others, feeling the struggle of being forced to fight for food, resorting to trickery and maybe even cannibilism to stay alive.

One day they'll leave the chaos of the cities well geared by way of either luck/ a lot of death.

No matter how lucky thry may have been, they will have a unbelievable survival story.

Once you're out of those big towns you can rely on fishing, hunting and boiling water.

People aren't reading everything! If you can't play everyday then if you're off for example a year, you would be extremely hungry and all your food supplies are gone.

I definitely read everything, and I'm afraid that you're missing the point.

It really comes down to whether we think the characters should be 'living' in the game while we are away.  The answer is a resounding 'no' from the community... as an example: we don't want our characters to be laying on the ground unconscious while we are away from the game because we have no way of controlling their responses to situations then.  The same holds true for this suggested mechanic -- if I go on vacation for 2 weeks then my character will no longer have any of the perishable supplies that I have carefully collected and organized -- and you're telling me that someone who carries no supplies at all will be perfectly fine leaving their character for a year, but I will lose all of my supplies every week if I only play Fridays for 1 or 2 hours?  No, no thankyou, and fuck no.

• Like 1

I understand the desire to add more realism to food and important's of it. In fact I enjoy the fact they have added hunting and gathering to the game. I also would like to see more realism and more detail. But if I'm not playing I'm not playing, do not think my avatar should suffer adverse effects due to this.

Edited by CJFlint