natelawrence

Signs to tell if someone is hostile

Several times in my DayZ experience, I have been killed by those I had some trust in. Its a stressful experience, you beat yourself up with the fact that you could have avoided that death. I am looking to compile a list of the signs of your demise by others, I'll start.

- Constantly pointing their gun at you.

Many players that are actually friendly will lower their weapon to be polite and prevent fratricide. Potential killers may aim at you, they're waiting for the perfect chance to kill. If you see this, kill them. Don't risk it. It may sound harsh, but its happened to me way too many times. If they are aiming at you through a  car window, they most likely are going to kill, so act fast. But be sure to gauge their personal characteristics, like age. If their older, they would have likely lowered their gun to be polite, if they don't have it lowered, you may be in danger. They may also make you look away, say to loot or kill a zombie, so they can kill you without resistance.

- If they are acting weirdly

Players that are asking for your pants, claiming to be god/ the president and yelling are goofing off and may disregard your life. 

That's all folks, this is my first post, so I'd like constructive criticism on my work. No "too effin short m8"s please.

Feel free to reply to add on to this list.

If they have no pants on and are wearing some kind of mask, just shoot them.

• Like 5

Players that are asking for your pants, claiming to be god/ the president and yelling are goofing off and may disregard your life. 

some of the friendliest people I know ask me to take my pants off...

• Like 3

universal wisdom if I've ever heard it.  XD

Nudists and cos-play enthusiasts beware ....

Nailed it.

I wear a mask at all times, And I can be the nicest guy you'll meet.

• Like 1

If they don't speak. kill on sight

if they refuse to lower their weapon at the very least, if not completely put it away. Kill on sight

If they insist you put your weapon on the ground. kill on sight

if they sound like they are 10 years old. kill on sight (likely to get easily bored and kill you)

if they play crappy music over mic. kill on sight (assumes everyone simply LOVES the music they are playing and will likely become easily offended when you complain about it, or complain about anything they do, and kill you) plus music breaks the GD immersion

People that seem to always be trying to stay behind you, always circling around behind you, or keeps running into melee range. kill on sight.

And like the OP said, aim your weapons at me once, and I will put you down. you never aim at anything you don't want to kill, so aim at me and I'm going to assume you mean to kill me.

Never warn a player of your actions. Say a player aims at you. Don't warn them not to do it. just kill them. DayZ is a harsh, cruel world only the strong (and smart) survive.

• Like 2

If they don't speak. kill on sight

What if no mic ?

if they play crappy music over mic. kill on sight (assumes everyone simply LOVES the music they are playing and will likely become easily offended when you complain about it, or complain about anything they do, and kill you) plus music breaks the GD immersion

Yesterday me and my 4 mates we running to NEAF with lord of the rings ost playing from comms, would you shoot us ? 

• Like 1

Nailed it.

I wear a mask at all times, And I can be the nicest guy you'll meet.

Don't care one little bit how nice you think you are.

Yeah, uh-huh, sorry but since they don't respect my space or style of play and insist on including me in some reindeer game I don't want to play I shoot them if they come anywhere near me.

They are named Barnabus or zryxy?

You just discribed several hostile traits, you don't have "space" until player construction comes out. So you both just stated you're going to kill me on site. If go no other reason that I came within range of you.

Think about it in an apocalypse I'm going to draw down on you, we are going to determine each other position and go from there.

I don't shoot on site, if you act hostile I will warn you, continue and I'll kill you, just the same I would I. This actual situation. The difference is there is no actual penalty for killing you in game.

Also so I need to adhear to your style of play because you don't respect mine? You tell me you aren't playing that way fine I carry on, no harm no foul.

Because I'm not going to stand in front of you because you've already stated you are hostile to anyone who isn't you, you're going to shoot me.

I am in the middle of responding to you via text because my mic May be broken, so you're going to shoot me?

OP you have valid points, these can be signs of hostility, beans for you.

Also because this game has toggles there is a chance people who don't play with headphones don't know that they have an open mic. I've glanced down several times and discovered I had toggled chat by accident. If a guy drives past you in real life "bumpin' f*** tha police" do you shoot him? No you roll the window up (aka mute them)

You don't role play got it! Not a whole lot of place for anything but personal RP atm (IE: I'm survivor traversing the wasteland) later maybe there will e more place for it or even whole servers of people that want to RP. But it's not always a sign of hostility.

Unless they really are god or the president, silly!

We are obviously going to have a problem with you respecting my democratically chosen position in Chernarus!

You just discribed several hostile traits, you don't have "space" until player construction comes out. So you both just stated you're going to kill me on site. If go no other reason that I came within range of you.

Think about it in an apocalypse I'm going to draw down on you, we are going to determine each other position and go from there.

I don't shoot on site, if you act hostile I will warn you, continue and I'll kill you, just the same I would I. This actual situation. The difference is there is no actual penalty for killing you in game.

Also so I need to adhear to your style of play because you don't respect mine? You tell me you aren't playing that way fine I carry on, no harm no foul.

Because I'm not going to stand in front of you because you've already stated you are hostile to anyone who isn't you, you're going to shoot me.

I am in the middle of responding to you via text because my mic May be broken, so you're going to shoot me?

Also because this game has toggles there is a chance people who don't play with headphones don't know that they have an open mic. I've glanced down several times and discovered I had toggled chat by accident. If a guy drives past you in real life "bumpin' f*** tha police" do you shoot him? No you roll the window up (aka mute them)

You don't role play got it! Not a whole lot of place for anything but personal RP atm (IE: I'm survivor traversing the wasteland) later maybe there will e more place for it or even whole servers of people that want to RP. But it's not always a sign of hostility.

If I see you first, I won't shoot you, I will AVOID you at all cost.  I don't need to warn you.  Too often I have ganked from both behind and in front.  I have almost 900 hours in game and can count on the fingers of one hand, excluding my thumb , how many friendly encounters I've had and still have fingers left over.  All the other encounters I have had have been in the negative, so many that between us we don't have enough fingers and toes and teeth to count them.  I am not taking the chance any more.  You don't like that?  Too Frigging Bad for you.

Edited by Barnabus
  • Like 1

If I see you first, I won't shoot you, I will AVOID you at all cost.  I don't need to warn you.  Too often I have ganked from both behind and in front.  I have almost 900 hours in game and can count on the fingers of one hand, excluding my thumb , how many friendly encounters I've had and still have fingers left over.  All the other encounters I have had have been in the negative, so many that between us we don't have enough fingers and toes and teeth to count them.  I am not taking the chance any more.  You don't like that?  Too Frigging Bad for you.

Now, now now ...

900 hours and you only had a few friendly encounters? Maybe you are doing something wrong?

I have logged less than that and most encounters with human beings end up being all sploosh.

when I meet someone at first I try to stay out of melee range at first, I keep my weapon lowered, and stay slightly turned at an angle to try and demonstrate that I am not hostile. I expect people to also try and demonstrate that they are not hostile too. What I'm talking about are those people that run right up on you in melee range, maybe looking to knock you out.

What if no mic ?

Yesterday me and my 4 mates we running to NEAF with lord of the rings ost playing from comms, would you shoot us ? 

Then your repeated death should be incentive to get a mic.

Over teamspeak or game coms? Flight of the Valkyries night be cool too. I'm never going to engage a 4 man squad heading to a hotzone. Now I will kill someone playing rap music over their mic or happily die trying.

• Like 2

Sign #1: They wear clown masks

Sign #2: They cut down your berry bushes and don't want to buy your hats.

My advice in general? Don't assume because of your personal experience; many things depend on many individual situations and encounters. Who, when, where, why, how.

You can only really rely on some statistics or what would happen on average. Theories, scenarios. Enough blah, a abit more precise:

In general the worst thing that can happen is two strangers or more running into each other face to face. Armed. Every time I was shot right away. Once I even tried to yell out to someone but I was just shot. They don't know I'm generally not KOSing / semi-friendly, I don't know if they were KOSers or just scared. I mean if you loot barracks, run out and see someone crouched to the right with an AK up and yelling "HEY!", you'd be scared I guess. Or at least tensed.

You want friendly encounters? Come with a (friendly / neutral) group and speak to someone. If you can bring a group or not: If you want to contact them (you could also just avoid them altogether, best way imho as loner) do it out of cover, with people backing you up if possible. If you have a group, make it clear to the person so he does not get funny second thoughts. He may not know there's a group and assume you're alone or just 2-3 people instead of X more.

Also, group or not, give clear warnings or set clear limits. Especially if you're some kind of "hero player". If someone does not lower his weapon and even aims at your direction, kill them after failed clear comms attempts. They had their chance. I too had too many stupid situations even with squadplay. Makes you really think what the fuck people were thinking when they had a small army in front of them, supposedly friendly, and yet they fired. And obviously got turned into swiss cheese.

In short: As loner: Avoid people. Otherwise, communication matters. If you can observe the target but the target cannot then that's a plus because you can just pull out any time. In theory. See how someone reacts, or rather does NOT react and make up your mind and judgement. Also, being "friendly" does not f'in mean you have to run into each others arms and jump around while singing nice songs. It can simply mean not to KOS right away without due cause or threats. Say you encounter a stranger: If you don't offer supplies, tell him to keep distance or go the other way -> agree to avoid each other or certain places, to avoid certain actions, etc. When in doubt, that is.

Apart from that there's always the risk you might get shot when meeting strangers. On the other hand you could become best buddies for that "round" or even beyond the next server crash or death.

Then your repeated death should be incentive to get a mic.

Over teamspeak or game coms? Flight of the Valkyries night be cool too. I'm never going to engage a 4 man squad heading to a hotzone. Now I will kill someone playing rap music over their mic or happily die trying.

Game coms, it was epic, running in this game has never been so exciting. Beans for killing for rap. 

Edited by General Zod
  • Like 1

I really think the only possible indications of hostility are:

1: Non responsiveness

2: They're shooting at you

3: They're trying to shoot at you

4: They're looting your body

That's about it

I really think the only possible indications of hostility are:

1: Non responsiveness

2: They're shooting at you

3: They're trying to shoot at you

4: They're looting your body

That's about it

What about wearing a hat? Pretty sure I saw that discussed somewhere!

Kind of wish there is a universal code of gear which notified that you are friendly like certain hats or maybe a tag to player id's that way when joining a server players are aware of your status. You know in a perfect world lol