thenorwood

Nutrition Issues

Ok, the new nutrition system is a good idea, but it has been very poorly implemented.

Currently, it requires around 15 tins of food and 15 drinks of any variety, PER HOUR, to survive.

This equates to around 720 food/drink items every 24 hours to survive - this is ludicrously excessive and highly unrealisitic.

It has turned the game into supermarket simulator 2014, the values need changing considerably as the game is far, far less realistic and far, far less fun now - so bad in fact that i felt compelled to make my first complaint ever.

• Like 1

Ok, the new nutrition system is a good idea, but it has been very poorly implemented.

Currently, it requires around 15 tins of food and 15 drinks of any variety, PER HOUR, to survive.

This equates to around 720 food/drink items every 24 hours to survive - this is ludicrously excessive and highly unrealisitic.

It has turned the game into supermarket simulator 2014, the values need changing considerably as the game is far, far less realistic and far, far less fun now - so bad in fact that i felt compelled to make my first complaint ever.

dunno where ya are getting yer numbers but I can eat a bag of rice and drink two canteens of water and be good for an entire days play with all statuses in the green - I do find that I have to drink more than eat but that's probably because I have to in real life too - food and drink are the least of the problems in the game.

oh and welcome to the forum

My only complaint is that when you are hungry (with the icon flashing), you can only eat some until you feel full but remain about half full. I believe this should change.

It has been since the 1.81 patch, and the numbers are correct from my experience. I get maybe 10 minutes of hunting players before i have to start looking for food again. The average nutritional value is around 100-200 per tin, dependent on the content - meats being at the 200 end. After an hour of not eating, my hunger level is at around 2500, and the actual process of searching for food uses up around another 500 hunger points.

Do the math.

Thanks for the welcome.

Edited by The_norwood

It has been since the 1.81 patch, and the numbers are correct from my experience. I get maybe 10 minutes of hunting players before i have to start looking for food again. The average nutritional value is around 100-200 per tin, dependent on the content - meats being at the 200 end. After an hour of not eating, my hunger level is at around 2500, and the actual process of searching for food uses up around another 500 hunger points.

Do the math.

Thanks for the welcome.

haha I responded to a post on the wrong game :p I do that sometimes. I don't play the mod so I don't really know about its mechanics.

now I need to remind myself yet again to read the header before responding ;) and that does sound a bit excessive.

• Like 1

We know there is a few issues with it just now. As we release new updates it will change to balance out much more.

Current state is 1st implementation to remove the 1 tin fills everything system we had before. 

Tinned food is not your best choice of food nor are cans. Water + meat/fish/MRE's are much better to use if you have the tools for it. As we extend cooking more the tins will find a use as you combine foods during cooking. 

We just don't have time nor the ppl to get everything perfect for every release. If you can find a team that implements new systems first time and have them perfect please point them out :-)

Thanks

• Like 2

I am aware that tins are not the best choice, but often they are the only choice.

I am also aware that this is the first implementation, hence my stating it was a good idea that needed better balancing.

My own suggestions on the amounts required to fill the meter would be along the lines that 3-4 tins would constitute a meal in reality (meat, pasta, peas and tin of fruit for desert), and that this would keep you full for around 3 hours.

Obviously, your character is not leading a sedentary lifestyle, so would require more calories - 8 tins for a full meal every 3 hours.

Liquid would be less of an issue due to food containing liquid itself, so i would consider adding a thirst value to foods as well (I noticed tins of milk now do this), and maybe 2-3 drinks every 3 hours on top of that.

As any soda has a calorific value due to the sugars in it (except for diet soda), a small hunger boost (perhaps in the form of simply freezing the hunger value for 5  minutes or so) would reflect this.

These are my suggestions, take them or leave them, but please leave the sarcasm out of any reply - i understand it is all a work in progress.

And finally, thank you for the hard work that the team has already done, as i have been happy with the way things have progressed up till this point, i would have to point my finger in the direction of the Dayz team as people who can implement things perfectly first time, this being the only time i consider you to have dropped the ball a bit.

Thanks.

Edited by The_norwood

There wasn't any sarcasm just really the facts on how it is.

If you would like to help do testing contact kich or if you wish to make a suggestion post it on github i really do not have the time to remember suggestions from every post.

• Like 1

We already have a system in place to support adding drink-values to food and food-values to drink.

The problem we're currently facing is the following:

We're trying to represent something that is not necessarily representable - not without an awful lot of work anyway. This does not mean that we're not going to go down that route eventually, but we have already reworked the system significantly. I myself wasn't entirely happy with how the system works in 1.8.1 - this is why we set out to change it once again.

We have already made adjustments - but at the moment we can't really do any big adjustments, as we're still waiting for the 1.8.2 release ourselves.

As soon as we get to release that we can look into further options - and I myself would like to have a more sophisticated system, which I have a few ideas for already. We will see how it works out with 1.8.2 and go from there.

I am the infamous kichi to contact for dev-build-tests and other issues, by the way.

Edited by kichilron

Then why have a suggestions thread?

I don't know what you mean?

We are here and listening to you. We're merely explaining to you that our hands are bound in regards to the 1.8.2 patch, as it has already been submitted to BIS. We can't update anything of that at the moment.

But we're more than willing to look into other alternatives and I even offered you to PM me and add me on Skype, if you have more ideas.

Why the hostility?

Are there going to be more food items in the future?

I've been playing Epoch for a while and just came back to play some original Dayz. I've noticed that it seems like no matter how much food I eat, I can't get my food level above 50%. Is there a trick to this? How do I get my food level full?

Merging

I've been playing Epoch for a while and just came back to play some original Dayz. I've noticed that it seems like no matter how much food I eat, I can't get my food level above 50%. Is there a trick to this? How do I get my food level full?

Merged

Cooked meat/fish is your number one type then MRE's any type of fruit should help then general tinned food.

Water is your number 1 for drink

There wasn't any sarcasm just really the facts on how it is.

If you would like to help do testing contact kich or if you wish to make a suggestion post it on github i really do not have the time to remember suggestions from every post.

This is what i was replying to. ^^^

Hostility? Really?  - "And finally, thank you for the hard work that the team has already done, as i have been happy with the way things have progressed up till this point, i would have to point my finger in the direction of the Dayz team as people who can implement things perfectly first time, this being the only time i consider you to have dropped the ball a bit.".

Does that sound hostile to you?

On the other hand, does the quote from R4ZOR49 at the top of this post sound somewhat dismissive?

Honestly, I am simply confused by the response i got from R4ZOR49 and wondering why you would have a suggestions forum if the suggestions therein aren't considered as R4ZOR49 implies.

It is entirely possbile that we are both misreading the situation (text is never a good conveyor of emotion or intent), or perhaps I caught R4ZOR49 at a stressful moment which rendered his responses unclear to me and slightly sarcastic. Either way, i just wanted to point out what i consider to be an issue in the hope that in a future patch (doesn't really matter which one) it can be tweaked so that it achieves its desired goal (which i think is a positive thing for the game when it's adjusted) and offer my own view on what would be a good compromise/alternative.

Anyway, thanks for acknowledging my post and stating your own views on the subject. It is nice to be able to discuss the game with the dev team, not many game makers will even acknowledge your existence on their forums(not going to point fingers at any publishers as we already know who they are).

Edited by The_norwood

My typing skills are not the best at times then add 3 kids and two projects (A3 2017, A2 DayZ) and full time work it does tend to catch up with me. I tend to just drop the facts of the problem rather then trying to explain :-( or try to explain and get annoyed with myself because i cant type what i need to :-(.

I do what i can

Thanks for clarifying R4ZOR49, i understand stress ;), you caught me at a stressful time too.

Also please understand that I am grateful for the work you put in.

• Like 1

Poking my head in to get an update and give an update on my experiences with the current nutrition system.

I have switched to fishing and hunting almost exclusively, and unfortunately it is still inadequate - the one exception being bottled water, which does the job well.

The 2 friends i play with have also started complaining about Dayz turning into eating simulator 2014, even with fish and cooked meat. It has reached the point where one of my friends is fully engaged in fishing, he does nothing else, and that just about keeps us ok. This means, however, that he doesn't get to do anything else as keeping hunger at bay for 3 players is a full time occupation, so he's missing out on the fun bits and is getting very grumbly about the game.

Some servers tinker with the nutrition values, but i've noticed they all send it to the other end of the spectrum - 1 can of food=full. This allows for more fun, but it does detract from the general Dayz experience. It seems that no servers occupy the middle ground, the sweet spot, which is unfortunate.

I have noticed that some players prefer starving constantly, so perhaps a simple config option of low/medium/high nutrition that is easily accessible by server owners would be the way to go, that way everyone gets to have their cake and eat it....providing they can find said cake first :).

Edited by The_norwood

The development build is on github go take a look and see what you can do to change the code for the middle ground. But i suggest you dont change anything about the single food types and work on doing a way to create meals allowing for a much better regenerate of blood/water.

It's on our todo list at some point as someone gets time.

If there is something you must change for next patch, increase the nutritional value of soda cans on par with food cans. I find myself being able to strictly survive off food cans and barely survive on sodas..which has me basically chasing water 24/7.

Edited by Borges

Fizzy pop don't really help with much other then make you bloated, Maybe add some fruit type drinks to fill the gap or just remove them all and keep the 3 original types and remove the nutritional values altogether.

Hmmm, the creation of meals is a very interesting idea, it would certainly allow for different levels of nutrition - crafting a meat tin and 2 different vegetables into a separate meal that gives greater nutrition, perhaps turning them into an MRE if that would make things easier.

Then individual tins could remain as they are nutritionally.

Another idea that comes to mind is heating the food , even single tins, to release more nutrition - much like an extension of what already goes on with meat/fish but without the issue of potential infection.