Sign in to follow this  
Mark Darkers

Outstanding Dayz UI and game design

I just wanted to point out this Reddit post for the non Reddit people, this guy has really has outdone him selves on the design an I really think the devs should consider looking at it.

credits go to (also link to the original Reddit tread):
DayZ UI and Mechanic Suggestions

by joeyslucky22

Click here for the design images. They look really professional and should fit right in with the current dayZ systems.

Edited by Mark Darkers
  • Like 13

God this is epic, I hope they will add all of this one day.

Beanz for first person helmet and banana!

Survival Mode FAP FAP FAP

Edited by amikron

Yeah really cool designs. 

I mean at the moment the interface does its job, but its kinda like one of those poor websites you find that are in Times New Roman. Even a minor font change would help. 

Times New Roman is the future and looks well pro, don'tcha know. So don't complain or you'll get Comic Sans

• Like 2

Hello there

"Simple" GUI changes are not as easy as you think.

Expect changes to the GUI as we progress, dont think its going to stay as an "it'll do" piece of engineering.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Well, you know our Joey is pretty famous around these parts, he's just a little shy.

0bdokOz.png0uxYYeD.png

• Like 2

It looks phenomenal.  Hopefully the game devs will hire this guy lol.

I hope so to, he has a very good insight on the game, but in the reddit post is also a guy who made the original design, of witch this design is based.

Hello there

"Simple" GUI changes are not as easy as you think.

Expect changes to the GUI as we progress, dont think its going to stay as an "it'll do" piece of engineering.

Rgds

LoK

I never expected that, I was just amazed by the looks of this gui so I wanted to share :).

Very impressed with this. Although obviously the least of the devs worries right now. But i would like to see this of something similar on release.

Hello there

The issue I have with most modern Game's GUI's is the inventory system. We're still essentially using the same concepts that we were in the 80's and 90's.

Its time to move on.

For me, object handling and the inventory need to be completely rethought not just made to look pretty and have "boxes" in which items are held.

Obviously there are limitation in time and cost but i would adore it if DAYZ could pioneer yet another aspect of gaming.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 4

Hello there

The issue I have with most modern Game's GUI's is the inventory system. We're still essentially using the same concepts that we were in the 80's and 90's.

Its time to move on.

For me, object handling and the inventory need to be completely rethought not just made to look pretty and have "boxes" in which items are held.

Obviously there are limitation in time and cost but i would adore it if DAYZ could pioneer yet another aspect of gaming.

Rgds

LoK

It would be pretty cool to have some sort of 3d inventory system with a physics engine so you could 'drop' things into a bag and then have to 'dig' for them... but that might be quite a stretch for a mouse/keyboard game.  We'd need some awesome kind of HMI like a Leap Motion or a Kinect.

This is awesome and survival mode sounds EPIC!... but would a whole week ban be too much? maybe a 24hr or 48hr ban? ppl may lose interest way too quick if they die and can't play again for a week. The punishment should last only a couple of play sessions, otherwise it becomes more annoying then anything else.

This is awesome and survival mode sounds EPIC!... but would a whole week ban be too much? maybe a 24hr or 48hr ban? ppl may lose interest way too quick if they die and can't play again for a week. The punishment should last only a couple of play sessions, otherwise it becomes more annoying then anything else.

Nah man, it will make it that more exciting, you have regular hardcore, same game mode, no week penalty, it will be one of those once in a time events, and combat would be even more intense. Also running from zombies.

But as more people said, it is not on the devs current watch, the core game must be there first, then they can expand.

I think a new font would be a huge beginning for the UI of the game. Not like I don't like Times new roman, but... I don't know, something more modern could do the trick :)

Because I think the font is giving the cheap aspect of the game..

I think a new font would be a huge beginning for the UI of the game. Not like I don't like Times new roman, but... I don't know, something more modern could do the trick :)

Because I think the font is giving the cheap aspect of the game..

Hello there

At the moment the font is "hardwired"/deeply embedded in the code. When it first came out I ranted at R that "its a simple font change!!111!!!" He took a deep breath and explained in detail exactly why it isnt a quick fix.

Unfortunately, I have the memory of a small tangerine and have forgotten the details. Suffice to say, the devs are aware and so dont get too hung up on fonts and suchlike.

Ideas are always welcomed though as are all the mock ups of the DAYZ GUI, we've had quite a few thrown at us.

And I do appreciate the time and effort folk have put into em.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Hello there

At the moment the font is "hardwired"/deeply embedded in the code. When it first came out I ranted at R that "its a simple font change!!111!!!" He took a deep breath and explained in detail exactly why it isnt a quick fix.

Unfortunately, I have the memory of a small tangerine and have forgotten the details. Suffice to say, the devs are aware and so dont get too hung up on fonts and suchlike.

Just sayin'.

I'm not a game developper, but 'just' a web developer that used to develop with multiple different language, I find out really weird that 'just' a font was that much embedded into the code.. Like, I thought they made a huge improvement to actually be able to modify some aspect of the game quicker.

I'm not saying that to complain or whine, but yeah it's really odd for me :O :)

Just sayin'.

I'm not a game developper, but 'just' a web developer that used to develop with multiple different language, I find out really weird that 'just' a font was that much embedded into the code.. Like, I thought they made a huge improvement to actually be able to modify some aspect of the game quicker.

I'm not saying that to complain or whine, but yeah it's really odd for me :o :)

Hello there

You and I both.

Im a Graphic Designer (or used to be as a career) and for me, in my particular field fonts (unlike the creation of them) are on the whole easy to use/manipulate and change.

I too found it "odd" that it wasnt a quick fix. But when the reasoning for it was explained I could see why it wasnt. I just cant for the life of me remember what it was. Have a search of the forums If you dare, Im positive it was addressed here publicly.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1