trev186

Night Time Play & exploit Poll

Night time play and Gamma exploits  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What deters you from playing at night on a regular basis?

• Too dark
    • Gamma exploiters
    • I just prefer to play during day
    • Nothing deters me
  2. 2. If you do play at night on a regular basis do you use gamma exploits?

• Yes I turn up the gamma/brightness
    • no
    • I do not play at night
  3. 3. if you do play at night regularly & use gamma exploits why?

• Because everyone else does
    • Too hard to see
    • Too scary
    • I do not use gamma exploits

What I'm saying is that, in making night time playable... you're inevitably making the advantages given to NVG users less powerful. If I can only see targets 1m away, and he/she can see targets 500m away... there's a massive disparity. However, if I can see targets 300m away and he/she can see targets 500m away... the disparity is lessened.

And again, the argument can be made that DayZ isn't meant to be "fair." Wherein there's not really such a thing as "overpowered."

You know I totally agree and if they do bring in night vision goggles or scopes then I would suggest they use the ones from the 80's to make it a more even playing field.

So night time needs to be made playable and please don't use the NVG's we are used to from ARMA 2 or 3, but some older types of night vision goggles and scopes from the earlier generations.

This should be the image you get

010-1.jpg

Would you care to link us to one? I have a $3,000 monitor that won't do it, nor have I heard of one. But I'm always willing to learn something new.

I voted 4, 2, 4. I realize that I'm a moving target at night time as I move around with my head lamp, but I don't care. I, too, am disappointed how they removed the pitch blackness from night play. People tend to forget that true night time is black as pitch. Here in Atlantic Canada, you don't go outside at night with 1) a good excuse, and 2) a flashlight. You can't see ten feet in front of you, even on a clear night with a full moon.

Try looking at Lg or Samsung gaming monitor,and you got ripped off tbh..

If you payed 3grand for a monitor you got ripped...

There is a team that is sponsored in Oz they had 1 of there players using it showing what it can do..

And you will be surprised at what it does..

He was a  cs player,there was no dark corners on any part of any map...

Try looking at Lg or Samsung gaming monitor,and you got ripped off tbh..

If you payed 3grand for a monitor you got ripped...

There is a team that is sponsored in Oz they had 1 of there players using it showing what it can do..

And you will be surprised at what it does..

He was a  cs player,there was no dark corners on any part of any map...

I have the ASUS PQ321Q. If you would, please explain to me how I got "ripped". Currently, there are three main contenders for the 31.5" belt: Dell, Asus and Sharp. Samsung has yet to release their 31.5" UD970, but as soon as they do, I'll sell mine and buy it (or just run dual-display with both). I am a big Samsung fan (every television and mobile device in my house is Samsung), but I couldn't justify sacrificing 3.5" of screen real estate at the time of my purchase as Samsung only had the 28" UD 590 on the market. The Dell was out of the question as I've never had a good experience with them and their monitor was cheap looking, and the Asus/Sharp monitors looked exactly the same so I went with Asus. HDMI currently requires compression to reach 4K resolution, so I didn't give a shit that I wasn't getting an HDMI port on my lovely, big, fly-as-fuck monitor. 

However, none of these monitors (which are top end, btw) do what you claim in "eliminating shadows" and "making black lighter". Hence me asking you for a link, as I'd love to learn how to make my monitor do so.

Also, getting "ripped" is relative. I make a lot of money. I wouldn't lose any sleep over $3,000.

I absolutely use gamma exploit. I'm not going to run around in pitch black darkness only to be a sitting duck for someone using the exploit.

I absolutely use gamma exploit. I'm not going to run around in pitch black darkness only to be a sitting duck for someone using the exploit.

And thus, herein lies the problem in a nutshell.

And thus, herein lies the problem in a nutshell.

Make the night time better looking (DX11 renderer) and lock gamma/brightness (I think Arma 3 does that) and there is simply no problem at all, is it?

Anyway to truly judge night time, we need to wait for renderer improvements.

As the night is now, it is rather poorly implemented. I think that arma engine simply expected playerst to have NVG's since it was ment as army simulator to certain degree.

People tend to forget that true night time is black as pitch. Here in Atlantic Canada, you don't go outside at night with 1) a good excuse, and 2) a flashlight. You can't see ten feet in front of you, even on a clear night with a full moon.

That's odd, because here in Northern Canada I can see very, very well in the middle of the night without even the moon to help guide me.

Nearest civilization is 200 kms away and night time is no where near as dark as it is in DayZ.

It's not just the exploits that stop me playing at night, it's also the light from your flash light/weapon flash light/head torch clipping through buildings, once they get the dynamic lighting I'll start playing at night more.

That's odd, because here in Northern Canada I can see very, very well in the middle of the night without even the moon to help guide me.

Nearest civilization is 200 kms away and night time is no where near as dark as it is in DayZ.

That is odd, because when I work in northern Alberta for six months of the year, it's pitch black there too.

That is odd, because when I work in northern Alberta for six months of the year, it's pitch black there too.

Very odd indeed. Since Northern Alberta is exactly where I am working. And it's not pitch black here ever.

honestly, i do use gamma "exploiting" to make it more playable at night, luckily im generally not a bandit. so my advantage really isn't someone elses disadvantage.

Personally i'd prefer them to remove gamma exploiting and simply make nightime grayscale with slightly reduced brightness and contrast, with reduced visibilty range based on the moon size - this option may even attract users who want to avoid being sniped at from range. That said, the new night time really isn't that bad anymore, rarely is so bad you find yourself running 10mins against a knee sized fenced without realising.  So if i was confident everyone else wasn't "exploiting" i'd happily stop using this.

Edited by foxdie_01

Topics guaranteed to bring out the frothy-mouthed trolls

1. Gamma

2. TPV vs. FPV

3. Helicopters

4. Everything else in the DayZ universe

Topics guaranteed to bring out the frothy-mouthed trolls

1. Gamma

2. TPV vs. FPV

3. Helicopters

4. Everything else in the DayZ universe

By far the worst are the obsessive, foam-splattering gun nuts...

Stop throwing away your flashlight.  Problems?

even without a flashlight the night time in stable .46 is quite easy to move around in. Sure u may not see all the items in a dark room but most players know where the items commonly spawn. In those situations all you have to do is hit tab and most the time you will see what is there and can take it. 

When you first ever start DayZ they should have a calibration image for you to find the right gamma and brightness settings. This option should be saved and cannot be changed anywhere other than the main menu. When it is changed you should have to restart.

• Like 1

even without a flashlight the night time in stable .46 is quite easy to move around in. Sure u may not see all the items in a dark room but most players know where the items commonly spawn. In those situations all you have to do is hit tab and most the time you will see what is there and can take it. 

The point is people are bitching about it being dark.  No shit, stop throwing away your source of light, morons(not directed at you)

• Like 2

Then why do you bother playing at night? See this is what I don't get and it does not make sense at all to play at night when all you want is 24/7 Day.

The "I use the gamma exploit because everyone else does" excuse is ridiculous at best. You do it because you do it and want the advantage over someone else. If you really wanted to you would either play 24/7 day or not use the gamma exploit at night.

Edited by R.Neville

Then why do you bother playing at night? See this is what I don't get and it does not make sense at all to play at night when all you want is 24/7 Day.

The "I use the gamma exploit because everyone else does" excuse is ridiculous at best. You do it because you do it and want the advantage over someone else. If you really wanted to you would either play 24/7 day or not use the gamma exploit at night.

Because I don't feel like server hopping every time it gets dark. Because then everyone would tell me how horrible all server hoppers are. Pick your poison. Don't worry about it so much. Play in the dark if that makes you happy. If not, use the exploit. Who cares.

Because I don't feel like server hopping every time it gets dark. Because then everyone would tell me how horrible all server hoppers are. Pick your poison. Don't worry about it so much. Play in the dark if that makes you happy. If not, use the exploit. Who cares.

Then pick a server that says it's 10 am?  it will never get night.  

Then pick a server that says it's 10 am?  it will never get night.

What if the Ping is high? What if there are no players and I want a highly populated server?

What if the Ping is high? What if there are no players and I want a highly populated server?

Just keep pulling at them straws...

Just keep pulling at them straws...

Or I can just play at night how I want until it's fixed like the other million or so people doing the same thing.

Or I can just play at night how I want until it's fixed like the other million or so people doing the same thing.

It's not really night using gamma now, is it? I highly doubt the number is that high it's just you trying to justify using the exploit.

It's like saying, I'm gonna go glitch into the NWAF Jail because everyone else does it. Does everyone else do it, absolutely not it's a minority.

It's ridiculous and you know it, but anything to justify the douchebag actions of yourself and others, yeah?