Sign in to follow this  
Warhoax

Use scopes without guns

Am I the only person who thinks it's rather logical you can see through a PSO-1 scope or long range scope when it's not mounted on a weapon?
Cause I've tried to put the scope in my hands and use it instead of binoculars and came to the surprise that ....you simply can't.

If I want to check out an area and I've got a scope, I somewhat should be able to use it, right? I think all scopes should be able to be put in your hands and be used as if they were mounted on a weapon.

What are your opinions?

EDIT: Happy to see that my suggestion made it ingame! Thanks everyone for supporting the idea.

Edited by Warhoax
  • Like 12

It's basically impossible to hold a scope steady and at the right distance to look through it like that.

• Like 1

It's basically impossible to hold a scope steady and at the right distance to look through it like that.

Bollocks, I use a 4x32 scope most days to look over at the hills south of my house (nice view with of pet goats & turkeys for wishfull target practise). If you cannot hold a light scope steady you are too weak to hold a rifle.

/end drunken rant

• Like 8

Hello there

On the whole Mos1ey is right in many cases. It purely depends on the type/power/etc scope etc.

It can be done As Mc_noob drunkenly points out, but mainly scopes arnt great substitutes for binoc and monoculars in my limited experience.

However, as an in game thing, it might be a fun mechanic.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

...as an in game thing, it might be a fun mechanic.

Holding up the scope to look through it would be good to have as part of the game for the reason orlok mentioned.

Something else I'd like to see is the ability to use duct tape to attach a sight to weapons they weren't made for so that you can look through easily. I know this would provide trash for accuracy, and every shot would change the orientation of the scope a bit (especially bad for long range scopes), but it would entertain me regardless.

• Like 3

It should be possible to create a lot of sway for the scope, making it a somewhat unpractical replacement for the binoculars.

• Like 2

I remember having a 10-40×50 scope and even through full zoom i was able to look perfectly at long range, same for my actual airsoft 3-9×50 scope, and in fact, without mount it on my gun or any airsoft replica, so yes it is totally possible and i totally agree with this idea, and in fact when i have find the biggest scope in the game i have try to use it as a Spyglass !

• Like 3

No it's not, as I own a scope, it's perfectly fine to do. They're not that heavy, just hold to the correct eye relief and don't bounce around loads... 

To the thread, yes this would be a good addition. 

• Like 4

A scope has a sweet spot to look trough, to far to the left or right (your eyes) and the lens will turn black because the light of the hull gets reflected. It is possible but would be to much of an hustle to get a steady vision.

Am I the only person who thinks it's rather logical you can see through a PSO-1 scope or long range scope when it's not mounted on a weapon?

Cause I've tried to put the scope in my hands and use it instead of binoculars and came to the surprise that ....you simply can't.

If I want to check out an area and I've got a scope, I somewhat should be able to use it, right? I think all scopes should be able to be put in your hands and be used as if they were mounted on a weapon.

What are your opinions?

Yeah I thought of this too the first time I picked one up I thought nice one now I can see far away...what the hell? How do you look through it!?

What would also be cool is if you could split binoculars in half, then you could give a buddy a monocular.

Something else I'd like to see is the ability to use duct tape to attach a sight to weapons they weren't made for so that you can look through easily. I know this would provide trash for accuracy, and every shot would change the orientation of the scope a bit (especially bad for long range scopes), but it would entertain me regardless.

That would be great too just for multitasking rather than aiming. You could turn any non scoped weapon in to the perfect scouting gun, without having to look through the scope instead of the iron sights.

Even if it's not super practical I'm sure people in real life would at least try that.

Anyway yeah I've never understood why you can't, especially a PU scope with it's fairly weak magnification. Hopefully it's a planned feature. I would rather it since rather than binoculars it gives an extra two slots with a penalty to range.

That would be great too just for multitasking rather than aiming. You could turn any non scoped weapon in to the perfect scouting gun, without having to look through the scope instead of the iron sights.

I really hope this is their plan for duct tape... I want to attach random things to random other things... Just to name a few:

Motorcycle helmet to tree

Machete to end of a shotgun like a ridiculous bayonet

Shoes to telephone line... guess you don't need duct tape for that one :D

• Like 2

I really hope this is their plan for duct tape... I want to attach random things to random other things... Just to name a few:

Machete's on baseball bats...

People to lamp posts, zombie dinner.

Everything Mythbusters has used it for.

Or just make a boat out of Duct tape, love that episode :P.

OT: Seems like many people share my idea about the scopes, hope to ever see this implemented in the game. It's not a priority as of now of course, but it would definitely be a nice addition for the future, along with the Duct tape suggestion :).

What ?

Term for today :

Spotting Scopes

Monoculars

But that's wrong. It's actually really really easy. Mounting it on a rifle changes nothing for looking through it.

Obviously you're blurry because the monitor is so close..

GMp8YYSl.jpg

• Like 8

@Heav Exactly, in fact this is pretty easy, mainly when you have the good technique.
Personally i have a technique which consist to grab it with your right hand (left if you are left handed) with your thumb, pinkie, ring finger and middle finger.

You have to grab it closest as possible to the (end) where you put your eyes.

Put your index away from the others finger and just put it on your eyebrow or next to it, and it keep the scope at the exact distance of your eyes for you to see correctly through your scope (cause too close or too far of some inch and you can't see through it).
But with my technique once mastering (it don't take too long and its pretty natural, i'm sure many people have already do it cause it is simple and it work damn well) is really useful, and it work with almost all scope i think.

Underbarrel shotgun to a shotgun...

• Like 1

Underbarrel shotgun to a shotgun...

A Masterkey shotgun sounds wonderful.

• Like 1

But that's wrong. It's actually really really easy. Mounting it on a rifle changes nothing for looking through it.

Obviously you're blurry because the monitor is so close..

GMp8YYSl.jpg

I concur. Here is an example with an ACOG.

NM0SjaX.jpg

• Like 3

Seeing now that you can do it so easily, how easy would it be to put it in the game?  Could you just use what you have for the binoculars or is it a little harder?

It's actually easier than binocs irl, plus you get the added fact you could do this all while hiding your sidearm etc. I feel like I get shot a lot cause it's assumed I'm aiming at you.

When in fact I'm just scouting an area, if I could just pull up the scope it's great sure KOs kid will still shoot but no gun means less chance you feel threatened

Sounds great. perhaps they could make it so that you have to modify the scope first in certain cases.

For example, the PU scope has this mounting rail that probably would only be in the way if you were to use it as a scope. New recipe: saw + PU scope = useful binocular?

Or maybe you could detach it manually in real-life but hey, what do I know ...

The PU rail would actually be useful for holding it, but I like your concept.

Seeing now that you can do it so easily, how easy would it be to put it in the game?  Could you just use what you have for the binoculars or is it a little harder?

The mechanic is already there, they just need to make it available without having a gun.