Sign in to follow this  
degude

Server hopping

Server hopping  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to prevent server hopping?

Loot respawned in the mod and people still hopped the barracks. I think we'll always need log-in timers for those changing servers TBH.

Log in timers only delay the inevitable. I am sure there is some far better solution than imposing a one and a half minute long wait, though, I am not sure what just that would entail. Personally I don't mind server hopping, and will mind it even less once respawn is implemented. The delay is at the moment nothing but an annoyance, both to regular players and server hoppers.

Personally I don't mind server hopping, and will mind it even less once respawn is implemented. The delay is at the moment nothing but an annoyance, both to regular players and server hoppers.

Yup.

I know, DayZ is meant to be a "hard" and "unforgiving" game.

But not everybody has the time to search and search and search for 1 thing.

Server-hopping is for the people who want to skip the effort and want to have time experimenting/having fun with things.

However, dead-serious hard-core-pro-gamers can still live by the "server-hopping is a sin!"-rule.

and if the Pro-gamers are angry, because some newbie with a super-rare-item killed them, they can just go and play on hard-core-servers,

TBH, I don't see the problem, but I can understand it.

Some people want DayZ to be unforgiving, etc. with respawn-timers of 7 weeks, etc. ( ;)).

But quite a big part of the players isn't into the whole hard-core-thing. They want to have fun, etc. (including me)

Edited by irishroy

What about the idea, that somebody who is server hopping, ghosting, etc. gets a "penalty" on his character.

So if someone switched through x servers in a certain amount of time, each switch after that, a penalty is given to the character.

Penalties could be:

- The character's status is like the one when respawning (hungry, thirsty, not healthy)

- Zombies spawn nearby and attack

- Log-in timer like the log out timer (standing somewhere for 30 seconds)

That would make hopping etc. less efficient (need search for food, defend) or more risky.

Just an idea, what do you think?

What about the idea, that somebody who is server hopping, ghosting, etc. gets a "penalty" on his character.

So if someone switched through x servers in a certain amount of time, each switch after that, a penalty is given to the character.

Penalties could be:

- The character's status is like the one when respawning (hungry, thirsty, not healthy)

- Zombies spawn nearby and attack

- Log-in timer like the log out timer (standing somewhere for 30 seconds)

That would make hopping etc. less efficient (need search for food, defend) or more risky.

Just an idea, what do you think?

No, imposing artificial and arbitrary punishments simply because one chooses to join another server, perhaps he has crashed or wishes to join a friend, should not happen.

No, imposing artificial and arbitrary punishments simply because one chooses to join another server, perhaps he has crashed or wishes to join a friend, should not happen.

That's why x should be chosen in a way that this can't happen.

A fictive scenario where x is 5 per hour:

1. You start playing and you don't like the first server because it's night

2. Second server kicks you, because it's a clan server

3. You play on the third server when your friend comes online

4. You switch to the server your friend is playing on

5. That server restarts, so you go on the 5th server

In this case 5 switches still would be no problem. Or do you usually switch more than that?

The x in an ammount of time, was just an idea to trigger the "penalty", maybe someone has a better idea...

1. Can be avoided by picking another server in the first place. Thats why I don't use the play-button - it doesn't show me the server properties.

2. You should not get a timer for getting kicked - if you do this should be fixed.

3. Why don't invite your friend to your server?

4. If you switch hives you probably should not get a switch timer either. Otherwise - see 3.

5. As far as I have seen there is no switch timer after server restart.

So if you only add timers for switching between servers in a single hive that did not kick you (admin or otherwise) it should suffice to set X to 1 or 2. Even then you probably want a (shorter) switch timer to prevent duplicating/ghosting - 100 seconds should be enough.

Edited by Evil Minion

1. Can be avoided by picking another server in the first place. Thats why I don't use the play-button - it doesn't show me the server properties.

2. You should not get a timer for getting kicked - if you do this should be fixed.

3. Why don't invite your friend to your server?

4. If you switch hives you probably should not get a switch timer either. Otherwise - see 3.

5. As far as I have seen there is no switch timer after server restart.

So if you only add timers for switching between servers in a single hive that did not kick you (admin or otherwise) it should suffice to set X to 1 or 2. Even then you probably want a (shorter) switch timer to prevent duplicating/ghosting - 100 seconds should be enough.

I agree, makes even more sense with kicking an restarts not "counting". I just tried to find a worst case scenario :P

That's why x should be chosen in a way that this can't happen.

In this case 5 switches still would be no problem. Or do you usually switch more than that?

The x in an ammount of time, was just an idea to trigger the "penalty", maybe someone has a better idea...

In such a case, your first and second solution is no problem for a geared player, and if he is not geared, he has no reason to be anywhere were military gear spawns, at least not geared with some very basics such as food, a axe or a pistol, so it is still useless.

In such a case, your first and second solution is no problem for a geared player, and if he is not geared, he has no reason to be anywhere were military gear spawns, at least not geared with some very basics such as food, a axe or a pistol, so it is still useless.

Well it would still slow a geared player down, because with each server switch he has to eat al least 3 canned foods (rather more) and drink 2 canteens. So an airport would be harder to loot, because there is water is hard to get. If they would start horting food or drinks for hopping, it would take a lot of space in the inventory.

Zombie attacks could still slow you down, destroy some of your cloth or equippment if they damage you and attract other players (gunfire, running around)

But I would appreciate it if someone had better ideas for "penaltys"

Well it would still slow a geared player down, because with each server switch he has to eat al least 3 canned foods (rather more) and drink 2 canteens. So an airport would be harder to loot, because there is water is hard to get. If they would start horting food or drinks for hopping, it would take a lot of space in the inventory.

Zombie attacks could still slow you down, destroy some of your cloth or equippment if they damage you and attract other players (gunfire, running around)

But I would appreciate it if someone had better ideas for "penaltys"

In such a case, I would simply run around until it says I am dying of thirst or hunger, and I would gun down the zeds, retreat to cover, scout the airfield and then enter it. The best idea to combat server hopping, would be to simply have a button that says "Play", and it simply drops you onto a server that has the best ping for you, through a system like this, if you, say, were to click the "Play" button within 30 minutes or so, you would simply be directed to the same server.

So long as the server hasn't gone down, you have been kicked, it is a private hive or so forth, of course. I haven't done much programming in my life, though, I suspect a simple priority list would be quite easy to implement, once the game is out of beta.

Edited by Santa fox

Wrong. Everyone who is getting shot by your AKM is harmed by that server hopping because without you would not have found it. This also translates into everyone who kills you on a populated server and loots your AKM.

Its not because you looted an AKM that might have gone to another player. Its because you joined empty servers and got a high reward at almost no risk. Which is unhealthy for gameplay in general. You can roughly compare it to a DotA/LoL game where someone starts at level 10 instead of having to level up.

If found it after first server change, than I hopped for mags. And yes I would find them without hopping, it would just take more time. Also before that I had SKS and mosin, a much deadlier combination than the AKM. But what I meant by no harm done was in the context of loot for others. 

In such a case, I would simply run around until it says I am dying of thirst or hunger, and I would gun down the zeds, retreat to cover, scout the airfield and then enter it. The best idea to combat server hopping, would be to simply have a button that says "Play", and it simply drops you onto a server that has the best ping for you, through a system like this, if you, say, were to click the "Play" button within 30 minutes or so, you would simply be directed to the same server.

I don't really get it... (the running, shooting, scouting idea)

I suggested that too earlier this topic

I don't really get it... (the running, shooting, scouting idea)

I suggested that too earlier this topic

If zombies were to spawn right next to me, I would deal with the immediate threat first, I would then run to cover to asses the overall situation, before deciding on my next move.

Edited by Santa fox

If zombies were to spawn right next to me, I would deal with the immediate threat first, I would then run to cover to asses the overall situation, before deciding on my next move.

I get it, but still annoying :P What about the starving part, still don't understand that

I get it, but still annoying :P What about the starving part, still don't understand that

I would still wait until it explicitly says that I am dying of thirst/hunger before bothering about it. Food is the one thing, that is somewhat aplenty in DayZ, even if you cannot find food that hasn't rotten, one should at least be able to find charc. tabs to offset the bad food one consumes.

I think they should introduce landmines into the game.

And if you manually change servers more than twice in a 1 hour period, you "randomly" spawn on top of a land mine.

And the explosion breaks your arms and your legs and it ruins all your gear and leaves you crawling about with nothing to heal yourself with.

And they should introduce this feature without telling anyone.

This forum would be fucking brilliant if they did that!

I think they should introduce landmines into the game.

And if you manually change servers more than twice in a 1 hour period, you "randomly" spawn on top of a land mine.

And the explosion breaks your arms and your legs and it ruins all your gear and leaves you crawling about with nothing to heal yourself with.

And they should introduce this feature without telling anyone.

This forum would be fucking brilliant if they did that!

No, as I mentioned earlier, arbitrary and otherwise nonsensical solutions to a non-problem should never, ever be added, at least not to public hives.

Edited by Santa fox

No, as I mentioned earlier, arbitrary and otherwise nonsensical solutions to a non-problem should never, ever be added. I just hope I don't stumble upon a private hive run by yourself in the future.

As long as you hadn't stumbled across two other servers in the previous hour, you'd be fine!

You guys want the simplest solution and also the reason none of it will ever work? Just store characters server side. That's the only thing that would end server hoppers.

Loot respawn will slow the process buys it's going I continue. The biggest issue is that right now it's a majority, there is no benefit from grouping and staying alive it's gear up kill or be killed. Once loot respawns and people actually try to group and play in a fairly normal fashioned on a regular basis it will just be the KoS griefers doing it for the most part. Also easiest fix for ghosting is if you switch servers it spawns you back on to a server where you logged out on that server not on the other server.

You need a healthy balance in those aspects from a technical / restriction POV.

So, I say: Private hives = best solution. Anything else: Compromise.

You can't have it all :)

You need a healthy balance in those aspects from a technical / restriction POV.

So, I say: Private hives = best solution. Anything else: Compromise.

You can't have it all :)

That was more or less my point about hopping.

The only other way to do this is massive hive maps that interlock servers the way MMOs do, a couple thousand people per map, each cluster is a separate a "server" hosting a different character on it

You guys want the simplest solution and also the reason none of it will ever work? Just store characters server side. That's the only thing that would end server hoppers.

Loot respawn will slow the process buys it's going I continue. The biggest issue is that right now it's a majority, there is no benefit from grouping and staying alive it's gear up kill or be killed. Once loot respawns and people actually try to group and play in a fairly normal fashioned on a regular basis it will just be the KoS griefers doing it for the most part. Also easiest fix for ghosting is if you switch servers it spawns you back on to a server where you logged out on that server not on the other server.

Except when your server is always full and you can't access your character.

Unless it let you keep multiple characters on multiple servers and when you clicked on a server it would show your character and status. That would solve the server hopping issue and make rare equipment more valuable than ever. That would certain make people invest a lot of hours in the game.