Sign in to follow this  
degude

Server hopping

Server hopping  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to prevent server hopping?

Hi,

I created this topic because recently people keep posting topics about some weird ideas they have to prevent people from server hopping, so I thought it makes more sense to discuss server hopping in general and ideas to prevent it or to make it harder. Hopefully this prevents future posts, about some game changes that could prevent server hopping, which are rejected most of the time anyways.

Hopefully we can see how the community thinks about server hopping, with the use of the poll.

Edited by degude

Everyone focuses on the issue of server hopping but no one focuses on the main causes.

LOOT respawns do not work which causes other players to leave a server in search of fun that restarted more recently

Fix loot respawning and I bet you a large majority of server hoppers quit.

• Like 4

I think that combat logging is a much bigger issue than server hopping and I am dumbfounded that the devs have implemented a generally annoying and immersion-breaking system to prevent server hopping (99 second timer) whilst completely ignoring combat-loggers.

I couldn't care less about server hopping. I server hop from time-to-time, simply because I have a list of servers that I play on and if one goes down or is [almost] full I go play on another one. Combat logging needs to be the priority.

My vote: "I don't give a shit."

Edited by angel_eyes42
  • Like 2

They need to implement longer wait times for when you switch servers and then come back to a server, to prevent ghosting. This is the only real problem I see with server hoping.

Additionally, they need to have logout time delay, say 20 seconds or so, to prevent battle logging. We had some fool login on us at NWAF, he was on the firehouse tower and tried to snipe us. As soon as we started shooting, he logged and then we think he came back in and ghosted one of us.

I watched him wall glitch from inside the fire station tower to the ladder. Funny though, once he was on the ladder I lit him up and he dropped! ;-) The guy had all kinds of pristine gear, 2 storage containers, a decked out AK47, about 8 or 9 mags, MP5, etc. Oh it was so great killing someone that exploits.

• Like 2

I don't think it's a problem in alpha at all.

My brother and I do it and then meet up in zelenogorst to hunt each other fully kitted. It's great fun.

As mentioned, it's because of loot spawning mechanics. You can easily join just one server, hit up 2 barracks and a prison in zelen, go a bit south to the woodland military base, get 4 more barracks, a few hospitals, piano houses, and cop shops on the way and then BOOM. You are plenty geared. Gearing full is almost easier than fighting zombies. As an alpha should be, right?

The 99 second log in timer is poorly implemented at present. It kicks in far to often. At the moment I can't log out and back into the SAME server without waiting 99seconds+'please wait' time which is stupid. Logging in and out of the SAME server does not allow you to ghost or server hop. Let me go to the bathroom or recover from a DayZ gameclient crash without fearing my characters life!

Does anyone know the answer to these questions:

1. Is my character standing undefended during the 99 second log in timer, as is the case with the 30 second log out timer?

2. How long does one have to be logged out before you can log in again without hitting the login timer?

• Like 1

The 99 second log in timer is poorly implemented at present. It kicks in far to often. At the moment I can't log out and back into the SAME server without waiting 99seconds+'please wait' time which is stupid. Logging in and out of the SAME server does not allow you to ghost or server hop. Let me go to the bathroom or recover from a DayZ gameclient crash without fearing my characters life!

Does anyone know the answer to these questions:

1. Is my character standing undefended during the 99 second log in timer, as is the case with the 30 second log out timer?

2. How long does one have to be logged out before you can log in again without hitting the login timer?

1. I am wondering the exact same thing. A little scary, that one.

2. 30 minutes, I believe. Don't quote me on that, might be wrong.

Edit: Sorry, it's 30 minutes or less in game that causes the timer... not sure how long you have to stay out of a server to evade it... but I know you can. I usually just take an hour long break and when I come back, no timer.

Edited by angel_eyes42

What about the idea, that you can't pick servers from a list anymore:

- There could be a "start" button which puts you on a random server, which has a ping that is good enough for you (regarding the distance issue).

- To ensure that people could still play together, the option "join game" on steam could be still available.

- If people want to join a server together they can create a "group" that joins a random server together (with enough space of course) and again the best solution for the ping for everyone should be found.

- A player or group could still enter options before joining (regular/hardcore, daytime)

- The engine which puts player on servers should try to make servers quite full

The idea behind this is that server hoppers often look for empty servers, where they can loot more easily, but with this idea it could be prevented. A crowded server is a nightmare for hoppers, especially near airfields.

Personally I don't really mind server hoppers, but I wouldn't mind this idea either. It would be stupid for people who have their own server, I don't know how to solve that. 

I like the was it is currently, but a lot of people seem to dislike it (what I read from the forums). The login timer didn't seem to bother that many people.

• Like 2

I completely understand were all of the concern comes from. Its from people spawning in right on you in a fire fight or from people completely abusing looting. Got it. I want this sort of thing cracked down on too. 

People using TS to tell there buddy's were to log in at is common SOP now, but it can be easily abused. Its almost just part of playing grouped now.

On the other hand have you ever been booted from a server and had try another one then have to sit through a long timer. Or you needed to meet your friends on a different server and have to sit through a long time. Its a pain in the ass! 

So its a double edged sword. I really don't want to see more bull shit timers added. There needs to be some other way to combat it.

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 1

Isn't this the sort of thing that private hives will crack down on? I'm not too keen on getting long long-in timers because some people server hop. That punishes everyone.

Server hopping is a problem mainly because of the abundance of loot and the easiness to gear up it creates. The most straightforward way to solve this issue is by preventing server hopping from being effective.

If there are other ways - why not? Its not like switching servers while keeping your character is a bad thing.

1. Yes you are completely in game space for the 99 seconds/30seconds and please wait. It's garbage! You're also in game for 20-30 seconds after you logout so combat logging isn't an issue

• Like 1

I see your point but one thing that gets me is how can you tell if someone has server hopped or just came off.

• Like 2

1. Yes you are completely in game space for the 99 seconds/30seconds and please wait. It's garbage! You're also in game for 20-30 seconds after you logout so combat logging isn't an issue

Are you serious? I didn't know this for sure. That is absolutely ridiculous.

Like I said in my previous post on this topic, server hopping is not an issue for me, combat logging is. 

But I also dislike the way that the vanilla DayZ mod handles combat logging. I like the way Epoch does it. Anytime you want to abort, you get a 10 second timer, unless you are actually in combat (or in a safe zone or something). It works really well and is way better than the vanilla mod, like I said. The standalone really needs to get something like this and they should just get rid of the stupid 99 second timer once and for all. Server hopping is no big deal. Ghosting might be an issue for some people, but I think we can all agree that combat logging is the bigger issue.

Are you serious? I didn't know this for sure. That is absolutely ridiculous.

Like I said in my previous post on this topic, server hopping is not an issue for me, combat logging is. 

But I also dislike the way that the vanilla DayZ mod handles combat logging. I like the way Epoch does it. Anytime you want to abort, you get a 10 second timer, unless you are actually in combat (or in a safe zone or something). It works really well and is way better than the vanilla mod, like I said. The standalone really needs to get something like this and they should just get rid of the stupid 99 second timer once and for all. Server hopping is no big deal. Ghosting might be an issue for some people, but I think we can all agree that combat logging is the bigger issue.

But I also addressed Combat logging, if you're more than 20 seconds away from a person when in combat then sure it could be a problem. But when you log out the server retains your body (will read unknown if pulse is checked) but it's still kill-able and registers as a death to your character in all servers. (IE you fresh spawn on log in)

What if servers were limited to 48 hour restarts? If they all restarted at the same time then most people would stop doing it. However the whole sit in one room and server hop till you get a rifle thing might still be a problem.

Limiting restarts and restarts in general are not the problem loot spawns are the problem, fix loot spawns solve the problem. Once loot actually respawns the only reason to leave a server is to play with buddies or just find server with more/fewer players

Yesterday (or should I say today at 4 AM) I did a massive 30-40 min server hopping marathon. On the small base near Kabanino and  Vybor. Why ? Because there was a ton of empty servers and I wanted the AKM, so no harm done since not only I didn't hoard any other loot but also most people were asleep so they wouldn't take that gear anyway. 

They could make it if you respawn within a certain proximity of your last spawn, the timer increases significantly. And this proximity needs to far enough so people don't just save at a different corner of their favorite barracks.

With all the bugs and issues and lost characters/loot, etc, server hopping is a necessary evil sometimes right now. Especially if you roll with friends, nobody wants to be t-shirt and wrench guy while all you buds are geared. If anything I find myself saving at a loot rich location when I log off hoping for goodies upon my return.

no harm done

Wrong. Everyone who is getting shot by your AKM is harmed by that server hopping because without you would not have found it. This also translates into everyone who kills you on a populated server and loots your AKM.

Its not because you looted an AKM that might have gone to another player. Its because you joined empty servers and got a high reward at almost no risk. Which is unhealthy for gameplay in general. You can roughly compare it to a DotA/LoL game where someone starts at level 10 instead of having to level up.

Wrong. Everyone who is getting shot by your AKM is harmed by that server hopping because without you would not have found it. This also translates into everyone who kills you on a populated server and loots your AKM.

Its not because you looted an AKM that might have gone to another player. Its because you joined empty servers and got a high reward at almost no risk. Which is unhealthy for gameplay in general. You can roughly compare it to a DotA/LoL game where someone starts at level 10 instead of having to level up.

Valid points... But how is fair that I found my first MP5 legit and lost it because I didn't stack my inventory correctly? How fair is it that I lost a +10 hour character because I spawned on a roof? Or dying like I did yesterday to a player that somehow made me put my gun away?

Logging into an empty server harms no one. Logging into a newly restarted server while saved near a military base and taking all the good stuff and promptly logging off is wrong. Too bad there is no honor among thieves. Until they fix some of the glaring issues, people will do what they have to gear up.

As people have mentioned, once loot respawn is in, and is consistent, I suspect the server hopping will be pretty much gone. So long as respawn is consistent, that is, i.e. not only bows and food respawn, while making it near impossible to find anything else.

• Like 1

As people have mentioned, once loot respawn is in, and is consistent, I suspect the server hopping will be pretty much gone. So long as respawn is consistent, that is, i.e. not only bows and food respawn, while making it near impossible to find anything else.

Loot respawned in the mod and people still hopped the barracks. I think we'll always need log-in timers for those changing servers TBH.

From what I heard Dean saying on the 'roadmap' video, it sounds like they _want_ people to server hop.  They're talking about global (hive wide) limits on certain items so people would have to go server to server to find certain gear (like heli parts).  To me it seems that they consider server hopping to be part of the game.

I guess we just have to imagine that our characters live in a world where they can 'slide' between parallel realities at will if we want to keep immersion :\