IReadTheAgreement

Being friendly finally paid off

I have played all styles, and while I enjoy banditry often, I'm usually more of a friendly player.  Anyone that's played that style for a bit knows it's not exactly the route paved with gold.  Except for the two guys I ran into today.  I met them at the town hall in Novo.  Just happened to run into them while I was running through the city.  Neither of them had a gun on their backs, but one had an axe.  Anyway they told me that a couple of players had just been shooting at them by the bus station and since I had an SKS I offered to help them take those players out if they led the way.  Once we got their one of them yelled "I see one!" so I pulled out the SKS and ran to a wall for cover.  We were scoping the area out when the one that said he say someone said that he must have been mistaken so I put my gun away.  That's when they both told me to follow them down to the stream across from the bus station.  They explained to me that they were trying out an experiment and since I was actually a friendly player that I'd won a prize.  Floating on top of the stream were 3 full plastic containers full of medical supplies and food, and a hunting backpack with a 75rd drum for the AKM, 200 7.62x39mm rounds, and 2 full canteens.  After giving me all that they said there was more under the water.  Then they gave me an AKM with all the attachments, and a black high capacity vest full of more ammo.  Best part about the whole thing was every single item I listed that they gave me was in pristine condition.

I made sure to ask them why they had been so trusting that I actually was friendly.  They told me they didn't trust me until the end.  That's when one pulled out an MP5 from his backpack and the other pulled out a FNX from his jacket.  We laughed about it then we said our pleasantries and parted ways.

Today it paid to be friendly.

• Like 8

It's like you exited a friendzone dude,ONE IN A MILION!!

• Like 1

I wish i ran into people like this so i could record some decent encounters.

All i get is either shot at or a player that i manage to talk down but never anything like this.

• Like 1

<'gooogle translation'>

This story is make me very happy and touch my hearts.

I hope many players will play like a friendly now.

This is my wish for the future for Dayz to make a pleasure.

Gosh I envy you. I think I would be an awesome person to bump into because I would be so happy to see someone also friendly!

Things like this have been happening more and more lately.. its great :)

Friendly encounters really aren't that rare. Your situation is rare .. But in general assuming you aren't deathmatching in berezino or looting nwaf or balota, its not uncommon to have friendly encounters.

• Like 1

The problem of mostly pointless friendly behaviour persists. Imagine Id have met you and I was friendly and unarmed but not interested in teaming up (just like those guys, it seems). How boring would this meeting be? It would have all components of what you described, but no reward. You wouldn't tell anyone about our amazing friendly encounter.

This game needs a reason to be friendly to strangers. There currently is none except for grouping up. But when you are acompanied by your friends, there really is no convincing reason to be friendly to strangers.

Edited by Khanarac
  • Like 2

The problem of mostly pointless behaviour persists. Imagine Id have met you and I was friendly and unarmed but not interested in teaming up (just like those guys, it seems). How boring would this meeting be? It would have all components of what you described, but no reward. You wouldn't tell anyone about our amazing friendly encounter.

This game needs a reason to be friendly to strangers. There currently is none except for grouping up. But when you are acompanied by your friends, there really is no convincing reason to be friendly to strangers.

Humanity system with bandit/survivor/hero skins/animations would do that.

Nope, never affected my behaviour in DayZero and I'm glad its gone. I don't wanna be forced to wear some ugly crap.

edit: It kind of freakes me out that I can't even come up with a suggestion, being the wiseass that I am.

Edited by Khanarac
  • Like 1

Nope, never affected my behaviour in DayZero and I'm glad its gone. I don't wanna be forced to wear some ugly crap.

And different animation for hero/bandit? Different way of holding guns, running, standing etc?

Would be kind of cool but...I dunno, will THAT make you take the risks of being friendly? I really doubt it. Any ingame system that rates your behaviour is doomed imo, as it can not distinguish true interactions or just you exploiting the system together with your friends. Also the potential complex friendly behaviour can never be statisfactory covered by an ingame system :/

If its spotting bandits, saving hostages, sharing food, giving advice or more stuff I can't think of now. An ingame system will never statisfy.

• Like 2

I like to remember one day, when me and 2 other buddies met unarmed stranged in Krasno...and it turned out to be girl named Natasha from Ukraine.

She had charming voice and whenever zombies made us bleed, she would sprint and bandage us, she was really cute.

We went to Novo where we found SKS that she was looking for. Soon after we came under fire near Town Hall, lost one of our buddies, but we  managed to kill 2 bandits armed with Blazers.

It was getting late, so we logged off in nearby tree line and that was the last time I saw Natasha O_o.

I kinda miss her, but I hope, she is doing just fine.

Anyway by this rambling I ment that there is real chance to meet nice folks in game.

No doubt about that Hombre, but in most players that hope is weak.

Making my way back from balota to the east. Spotted a guy running down the street towards cherno from electro. I made my way down from the treeline and held him up. I asked him to drop his phibia on the ground which he complied immediately. After checking his stuff for hidden weapons I chatted with him for 15 mins. He was clearly a new Dayz player so I told him to come with me on a recruiting mission. He came with me as we made our way back up to coast towards solnichny. We teamed up for another hour and I recruited him into our clan. Great guy glad to have him. Glad I shook off the urge of my first intuition to shoot him when he was in my sights. There is hope!

I was once in the firestation in cernaya and all of a sudden a guy looked in through the back door. I had an sks and a sawed of shotgun. He vanished back outside and started talking to me that he was friendly. Took out my shotgun, because I could tell that he stayed just outside and went there. There he was standing just next to me, his armes raised, a berret and all military with a mountain backpack (I think). A zed was just there next to him, blew that thing away, he did not move an inch. We started talking, asked if I need something, I said no if I remember correctly and he simply dropped a pristine lrs for me. Back then they were a little more rare. He then told me that that's what he does, go west, loot everything. And then go back as a friendly and give away the loot. I think his next stop was svetlo.

When he saw me, he did not even have a weapon out while I was with my sks in hands. Then just waiting with raised hands outside... . I asked him how long he usually lives, he just laughed at that. I was actually tempted to go with him, but decided not to. There is friendly and then there is suicidal.

Whenever I decided to initiate friendly contact, I got attacked. Every single time, unless I AND the other guy(s) had no guns at all. Ok, the three fully geared guys I spotted (a little west of berezino just south of the sniper hill at the police station), called out to and slowly walked to as a bambi with my current char two days ago only told me to drop the backpack, or they would "blow my brains out", because one of them had none. Then they dropped an amphibia with a mag for me - great when you only have a jeans with rags and morphine. When running away I got shot at after being about 200 meters away from them, I first thought it was them, but then all around me ppl started shooting...m4, sks, at least two mosins, all from different directions and really close. I guess they were too involved with each other, or I should have died.

Now the question: Why the hell would a geared guy with an m4 (I think), full camo, army vest and at least 10 slots in upper body and pants want an orange taloon backpack in a pvp zone? Especially if he is running with two others with backpacks?

EDIT: Just remembered, I once got into a fight with two guy at the hangars at the nwaf. A zed showed my position and they waited outside, I shot first (and missed ;)). I spoke to them, was only unconscious. They were telling me that they are usually friendly, but you know, airfield and all...told them I would go to grishino, if they would bandage me. They were moving west. They bandaged me, took my mosin but gave me an fnx with mag. That was a nice supprise. Woke up about two minutes later and went east.

Edited by bautschi

That's wicked cool. Way better than most of the other experiments I've heard other players involved in.

Since .45 was released I started playing hardcore more often I've have yet to be shot at. teamed up with a few randoms for awhile, met a couple of friends, backed away from a few very startled folks who agreed to do the same.

I wouldn't say it's wholly due to the dynamic caused by the lack of a third person perspective, but the equalization of the percentage of risk to both players in most circumstance, favouring cover of course, seems to make people a little less cavalier.

Making my way back from balota to the east. Spotted a guy running down the street towards cherno from electro. I made my way down from the treeline and held him up. I asked him to drop his phibia on the ground which he complied immediately. After checking his stuff for hidden weapons I chatted with him for 15 mins. He was clearly a new Dayz player so I told him to come with me on a recruiting mission. He came with me as we made our way back up to coast towards solnichny. We teamed up for another hour and I recruited him into our clan. Great guy glad to have him. Glad I shook off the urge of my first intuition to shoot him when he was in my sights.

I get both angles on this.  If the game was reality I think things would go down this way too.  Some encounters friendly, some disappointing, a many more end in ruin.  Civilization would likely yield more cooperation at first, but as food and other things got more scarce people would get more desperate... IDK, I think the high % bandit encounter route is the most likely end game if we were in a post apocalypse environment.  But then you realize you are playing a pc game with real people while being based in a non-disaster life and you have to weigh the existential fantasy aspect vs. the real time "Don't be a Rick, it is just a game" aspect...  I get both camps, I choose to be friendly because it makes me enjoy the game.  If someone shoots me in the face I could care less.  In a few days I will likely die from a server burp anyway, or a ladder, or a firefly, or a piece if code I never saw coming...

• Like 1

I think the only way to convince people to be friendly and group up is to have a lot of zombies as a major hazard in the game...ATM they are just a nuisance if you find one. If there was hordes of them passing through a town then people might try to help someone in danger of being over run or group up to kill them and then you can loot. The game really is about the pvp at this early stage so just rummaging for supply's to survive is not all that. I know that changes are coming like vehicles but again those will just add more pvp encounters which isn't bad but if you got a car I want it!

I hope with the new pathing and barricading systems coming help people want to be friendly. Imagine you come into a town and find a house crawling with zombies and someone is stuck inside. You could create a hole for them to escape. We just need reasons to want to be nice as for now its still kill or be killed. Again not always abad thing I just think the game could be so much more than a open world CoD.

• Like 2

The problem of mostly pointless friendly behaviour persists. Imagine Id have met you and I was friendly and unarmed but not interested in teaming up (just like those guys, it seems). How boring would this meeting be? It would have all components of what you described, but no reward. You wouldn't tell anyone about our amazing friendly encounter.

This way of thinking speaks volumes about you my friend. I guess you are the kind of person who walks the city shouting "go get a job ya bum" and cuts in line when nobody's looking?

Have you ever considered that maybe, just maybe, people play friendly because they enjoy being friendly rather than just another arsehole? That making friends is a reward in and of itself to those of us that aren't closet sociopaths?

You don't need a reason to be friendly to strangers in the game or in life, it's just kind of something that comes naturally to people that aren't f*n c*ts.

Edited by zeeabo

I think the only way to convince people to be friendly and group up is to have a lot of zombies as a major hazard in the game...ATM they are just a nuisance if you find one. If there was hordes of them passing through a town then people might try to help someone in danger of being over run or group up to kill them and then you can loot. The game really is about the pvp at this early stage so just rummaging for supply's to survive is not all that. I know that changes are coming like vehicles but again those will just add more pvp encounters which isn't bad but if you got a car I want it!

I hope with the new pathing and barricading systems coming help people want to be friendly. Imagine you come into a town and find a house crawling with zombies and someone is stuck inside. You could create a hole for them to escape. We just need reasons to want to be nice as for now its still kill or be killed. Again not always abad thing I just think the game could be so much more than a open world CoD.

+1.  I've seen long term DZ players and noobs like me saying the same thing.  This game needs a bunch more zombies.  I ran through like 2 miles of fields by the coast and only 1 zombie chased me (the one I was running from, lol.)  No other zombies joined her.  It SHOULD have been a scene from the Benny Hill Show, Benny running at 5x film speed being chased by an ever growing number of angry people as he runs by them.  In fact, I would love to see someone throw a clip like that together with the kazoo music, but you can't because this never happens for the obvious reason.

All I can guess is that whetever engine they have for the zombies would kill the servers.  40 Players + 10,000 zombies + physics = 100 ping of disconnection.

Edited by Zombie Milkman

After reading the first post the first thing to pop into my head was that these guys gave you a bunch of sweet, pristine gear that was likely duped. Better shoot them for duping.

Is that wrong?????

• Like 1