falcon1439

Best size squad?

First, a little about myself. I normally play with one other guy and it has normally worked out fine. He has an AKM, myself a mosin and as of recently the MP5K. That combination means we have weapons that work at all ranges. Moreover, due to the small size of the squad, we don't have to share food and possibly not have enough for everyone. 

However, borrowing some tactics from the military (who are obviously pretty qualified in combat tactics) they seem to split into 4 man bricks (bricks is what the British army calls squads). Would having a four man squad or even higher increase my survival time and what are your experiences with squads?

I run with 8 guys per squad with 2 squads at times. Still coordinated enough if the people you play with have mic discipline.

• Like 1

what are your experiences with squads?

"Who is running with mosin and  green helmet to the red brick buidling?!" "Guys, any of you is running to the red brick building?!"

*shoots*

"Oh fuck man I was running to the red brick building, you killed me wtf"

:facepalm:

• Like 17

I run with 8 guys per squad with 2 squads at times. Still coordinated enough if the people you play with have mic discipline.

In combat, do you feel like you have a huge advantage?

2-4. We don't fight clans so we don't need 10 ppl to kill a guy.

Tremendous. When you have 2 guys with AKMs 4 with SKS's and 2 with Mosin's you have a %90 chance of winning any pvp encounterment you come across if you are observant and stay out of the open. Again, this is just my current squad that I run. It all depends on the players you run with. You could be running with guys who can shoot a penny 1k away with a mosin or you could be playing with guys who cant shut up and cant shoot the broad side of a barn at 10m.

• Like 1

when i play with our clan we normaly have a 3-5 team. 

works quite nice. i think 5 persons is the max for a controlable firefight.

its also the max for staying low profile. more members a group has the higher the chance for a major fuckup. ( friendly fire ) 

• Like 1

Tremendous. When you have 2 guys with AKMs 4 with SKS's and 2 with Mosin's you have a %90 chance of winning any pvp encounterment you come across if you are observant and stay out of the open. Again, this is just my current squad that I run. It all depends on the players you run with. You could be running with guys who can shoot a penny 1k away with a mosin or you could be playing with guys who cant shut up and cant shoot the broad side of a barn at 10m.

You seem to have a lot of experience with squads, what's your favourite squad size? Like a balance between having lots of armed guys and having clear coms and easier looting.

4 man works great having used that for many years in RL and can split 2/2 3/1 depending on config but the guys have to have radio discipline and be constantly aware of situation and position. It requires drill drill and more drill, also having something to distinguish team mates is helpful. I have a few guys I play with but when the rest of the mob get onto TS its a fricking nightmare with everyone talking over the other, no one knowing where everyone else is etc, so generally we head off to another server and another channel on TS.

Pick a good couple of guys you can work with, drill with them on a quiet server and then you'll get a decent squad.

• Like 2

If I could have guys with alright-good mic discipline and that could shoot even fairly well I'd say about 6.

4 man works great having used that for many years in RL and can split 2/2 3/1 depending on config but the guys have to have radio discipline and be constantly aware of situation and position. It requires drill drill and more drill, also having something to distinguish team mates is helpful. I have a few guys I play with but when the rest of the mob get onto TS its a fricking nightmare with everyone talking over the other, no one knowing where everyone else is etc, so generally we head off to another server and another channel on TS.

Pick a good couple of guys you can work with, drill with them on a quiet server and then you'll get a decent squad.

I'd give you my beans but I guess I'm too nice and have ran out of beans to give...

"You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day"

• Like 2

I've ran from solo up to around 8/9 people.

I feel most comfortable in a group of 3/4 (5 at a push).

I've found it works best like this:

(in a group of 3)

1 x Long Range Sniper

2 x SKS/M4 short range scope or ironsights (no acogs unless you can use them efficiently)

(in a group of 4)

1 x Long Range Sniper (2 if you want to cover each other)

3 x SKS/M4 short range scopes or ironsights.

In my experience groups larger than 4, comms start to overlap and people tend to talk for longer than needed. It can be quite messy, small group like the above everyone can easily update with new positions and cover accordingly.

Group of 3 or 4 can quite easily loot through a town in about 10 minutes (depending on size of said town) and still walk away with enough loot to keep themselves going.

• Like 1

I'd give you my beans but I guess I'm too nice and have ran out of beans to give...

I'm returning some beans to you as you seem to have overdonated to some of my posts :)

• Like 1

I'm returning some beans to you as you seem to have overdonated to some of my posts :)

Thank you very much kind sir. :D

4 5, usually naked with crowbar and fist. Best squad ever, nothing to loose, but everything to win.

• Like 2

"Who is running with mosin and  green helmet to the red brick buidling?!" "Guys, any of you is running to the red brick building?!"

*shoots*

"Oh fuck man I was running to the red brick building, you killed me wtf"

:facepalm:

Hahahah

Had a very similar one in the mod..

Guy shoots at us, we return fire and kill him...

"gonna chk his body guys"...

"hes getting up!"...

"that's m.."...

You are dead

Facepalm doesn't even come close lol

PvP raids with clan

6 pax teams

max two teams and siege berenzino NW airfield

Teamleader coordinates movement and gives commands fire at will or hold fire, retreat into position

each member of the team has his own position exactly predefined

in 3 hours we killed like 25 fully geared with no hand to hand combat al we did was wait range scope and shoot

military tacics are advised for advanced gameplay

I found 3 works best. One for overwatch and 2 for breaching.

I mostely operate in a group of 3, 4/5 is optimal depending on the location being covered. 6 is really pushing it but can work if all are good. I find it that it's primarily important to find people who are disciplined and OBEY orders. I typically give orders out but in one group I am receiving them, and don't mind - as long as one guy calls the shots and the others follow accordingly things can work out fine.

I was with some friend's group and they were like rabid monkeys. "I don't have anything but a pistol, I'm running across the airfield k?" "ok I go with you". 2 minutes later they were killed by a single guy with an SKS.

Edited by Infiltrator
  • Like 1

Given you some of mine for being a good chap

• Like 1

Given you some of mine for being a good chap

Thanks mate! :D

If we want to talk about real life up to date concepts the correct answer would be between 3 and 6, depending on the mission.

A specialized modern infantry team can have a countless number of tasks they have to perform but in terms of covert operations the most useful that could be applied on dayz would be probably a modern sniper-team.

The missions changed from mainly sometimes single or two man missions to a team of six that performs a multitute of different tasks not always related to what is percieved as sniping missions in a classicial sense.

The 6 man team consist of a teamleader, team leader assist, "radio guy", 2 security members and the last can fulfill any rule needed, like a libero in soccer. For better organisation and since we have no military base to report to, we can reduce the team to a 5 men team, getting rid of the soldier needed for communication. So what we want when we organize a squad would probably be: One Long Range Sniperrifle, One guy carrying a DMR, 2 guys with assault rifles and a 5th member who can fullfill both rules, so a sniper rifle and a machinepistol or assault rifle. If you have to work with less people, 2nd security and the "libero" roles would fall flat.

Edited by TyrDaishi

If we want to talk about real life up to date concepts the correct answer would be between 3 and 6, depending on the mission.

A specialized modern infantry team can have a countless number of tasks they have to perform but in terms of covert operations the most useful that could be applied on dayz would be probably a modern sniper-team.

The missions changed from mainly sometimes single or two man missions to a team of six that performs a multitute of different tasks not always related to what is percieved as sniping missions in a classicial sense.

The 6 man team consist of a teamleader, team leader assist, "radio guy", 2 security members and the last can fulfill any rule needed, like a libero in soccer. For better organisation and since we have no military base to report to, we can reduce the team to a 5 men team, getting rid of the soldier needed for communication. So what we want when we organize a squad would probably be: One Long Range Sniperrifle, One guy carrying a DMR, 2 guys with assault rifles and a 5th member who can fullfill both rules, so a sniper rifle and a machinepistol or assault rifle. If you have to work with less people, 2nd security and the "libero" roles would fall flat.

Replace "radio guy" with "the Fridge", the guy who is carrying food.

3-4 is my favorite. Although I've played with up to 15. 

It gets a bit hectic in the channel and in game if you have more than 4, unless you have good mic discipline. I find it easier to keep it fun if you don't crowd the channel though.