gibonez

What are good game mechanics/ features from other games that work in dayz ?

Quite a simple thread.

List game mechanics/ features from other games and why they fit with dayz style.

Red Orchestra 2 : Free aim + manual bolting

Free aim creates more depth in the game and ensures that it does not turn into a twitch shooter.

Manual bolting is a feature in red orchestra 2 where when you fire a bolt action rifle you have to press the fire button one more time to pull back the bolt and load a new round in.

This solves two problems in dayz that people seem to complain about .

#1 - Bolt actions are not intuitive enough.

#2 - Snipers complain that the gun loads by itself and you cannot see your impacts.

Misery Mod - Stalker

Masks/helmets affect vision

This idea would be far more drastic. This idea would require that 3pp is removed from the game completely otherwise it would not make sense.

Simply put none of the helmets, goggles, or masks in dayz have any drawbacks, they simply offer ballistic protection and have zero negatives.

Misery by far one of the most immersive and scary games to date fixes such a dilema.

The various helmets and masks in the game obstruct your vision in a realistic manner and the more damaged they get the less you are able to see out of them.

hqRSD.jpg

MPkBKKH.jpg

jqH5K5b.jpg

So what game mechanics or features from other games would you like to see implemented within dayz ?

• Like 6

Ballistics and weapon mechanics from Arma 2... or better. But at least that much of an improvement. 

and... thats it. All I want. 

I would like to have multiple stances from ArmA 3, but this idea has already been discussed many times.

Also Spintires physical simulation of cars :) (pretty sure this is not possible to do on a scale of DayZ though)

And the Red Orchestra reminds me of its really nice covering system.

• Like 1

Bash/shove with rifle - Left 4 Dead

Pipe bombs - Left 4 Dead (work same way drawing zombies)

Broken down, Craftable ammo - Fallout New Vegas

Specific places to make certain items (like benches) - Skyrim

That's all I got for now. Never tried Red Orchestra, looks like a good system though. The mask thing for sure, imagine the restriction in view from the current mask with those two eye holes lol 

PS No need remove 3pp for it, just some will miss out on the cool effects :)

Edited by Karmaterror
  • Like 2

That free aim thingy was possible in DayZ mod and Arma 2 generally by sliding option called "aiming dead zone" or something.

Too bad it was not ported to Standalone, we have only head bob I think.

Red Orchestra is nice BUT I think it's a bit exaggerated. I think it should be similar to Insurgency. Still has free aim but only when not aiming down sights.

Example video:

I would like to see a complete re work of character movement and improved agility

-Ability to climb and pull self up onto any wall >8ft (run and jump push onto walls higher than 6ft)

-Ability to drop and roll to reduce fall damage

-Dodge mechanic to be able to do a 'commando roll'

Pretty similar to basic GTA commands. Would be useful...

• Like 2

That free aim thingy was possible in DayZ mod and Arma 2 generally by sliding option called "aiming dead zone" or something.

Still the same for DayZ. There was also a suggestion to force it and make the amount depending on weapon an attachments which is a good idea in my opinion.

A melee blocking feature for held items - any game with focus on melee combat. Just hold up an item and let it take the damage instead.

I would like to see a complete re work of character movement and improved agility

-Ability to climb and pull self up onto any wall >8ft (run and jump push onto walls higher than 6ft)

Dude....I have a unbelievable problem with vaulting with V above knee high fence or pulling out weapon with hot bar.. those thing you suggest will never work with the desynch we have.

This would be my starter list.  The current jump/fall mechanics in the game are horrible.  What do you mean I can't jump to my left/right while strafing?

• Like 1

Agreed.

Needs to be the case, in my opinion, before things like barricading and construction are put in place.

Fences become insanely unfair if they cannot be vaulted/scaled. They become 100% insurmountable obstacles, rather than providers of concealment and the impediment of motion. The only reason why fortresses were so ridiculous in the mod(s) (not just Epoch, different story entirely) was that simple things like a HESCO bastion couldn't be climbed at all.

Edited by Katana67

cardboard_534534534.jpg

Oh f* there is a guy in a box, I though it was a building.

• Like 1

Dude....I have a unbelievable problem with vaulting with V above knee high fence or pulling out weapon with hot bar.. those thing you suggest will never work with the desynch we have.

Hi yes i know what you mean that is part of my request. the current system doesn't allow you to vault if the fence is over waist height. I suggest the max height be abut 8ft tall, but you would need a sprinting run up for something over 6ft. For waist high, that should just improve the vault system so it can handle anything from ground level to 6ft, and anything over that you would need a run up. As for hot bar that is a general Lag feature of the engine that is apparantly been improved in experimental and with the new engine what nots.

Edited by AgentNe0

Relevant area 3D Map, able to be viewed whilst in a vehicle (Far Cry 2)

139922399447.jpg

Visible wounds (Far Cry 2)

100538-farcryheader.jpg

Dynamic blood stains on clothes (Red Dead Redemption)

rdr_multicomp_001.jpg

Offensive animals (Red Dead Redemption)

bear_inline_1269905449.jpg

• Like 7

Relevant area 3D Map, able to be viewed whilst in a vehicle (Far Cry 2)

139922399447.jpg

Visible wounds (Far Cry 2)

100538-farcryheader.jpg

Dynamic blood stains on clothes (Red Dead Redemption)

rdr_multicomp_001.jpg

Offensive animals (Red Dead Redemption)

bear_inline_1269905449.jpg

Great suggestions everyone.

Katana I do know Injuries will be coming.

OddShamelessBubblefish.gif

ACE Style realistic Sniping

The ultimate solution to fix how easy sniping is + at the same time enhance the capabilities of people who spend the time to learn this new angular system of sniping.

Arma 3 weight and fatigue system ported over / ACE weight volume inventory

166a967bf5.jpg

Awesome game mechanic that would change the entire game and improve realism and authenticity in dayz.

Ballistics and weapon mechanics from Arma 2... or better. But at least that much of an improvement. 

and... thats it. All I want. 

Give ace mod a try if you can.

The ballistics in ACE mod are affected by wind + and the guns actually have higher dispersion rates compared to vanilla arma but combined with weapon resting, bipod deployment and complex sniping it all gels so fantastically.

LMGs are the monsters of the battlefield that they should be meanwhile sniper rifles are scalpels that require planning and skill to use.

• Like 3

Great suggestions everyone.

Katana I do know Injuries will be coming.

OddShamelessBubblefish.gif

My only concern is that this will just translate into a generalized "injured" state.

So no matter your injury (gunshot to the shoulder, broken femur, sprained ankle, grumbly tummy, etc.) you'll just enter into a generalized "injured" state where you hobble around on one leg.

If my leg's broken, I want to see that bone poking out of my leg. If I'm bleeding from my forearm, I want to see that. If my finger's broken, it should be offset.

Wound identification is half the battle. And right now it's just "Welp, I'm wounded" or "Welp, my leg's broken somewhere."

• Like 3

My only concern is that this will just translate into a generalized "injured" state.

So no matter your injury (gunshot to the shoulder, broken femur, sprained ankle, grumbly tummy, etc.) you'll just enter into a generalized "injured" state where you hobble around on one leg.

If my leg's broken, I want to see that bone poking out of my leg. If I'm bleeding from my forearm, I want to see that. If my finger's broken, it should be offset.

Wound identification is half the battle. And right now it's just "Welp, I'm wounded" or "Welp, my leg's broken somewhere."

Yea lets hope that is not the case there is so much potential with a deep and complex medical system and injured states.

I would hope to see things like being shot in the lung affect stamina and breathing, being shot in the heart causing profuse bleeding, and head injuries causing concussions knocking people in and out of consciousness.

Adding in a more realistic weapon movements would be nice, I should want to be use my MP5 while clearing something like an apartment complex instead of my full kitted out AKM.  The MP5 would be more maneuverable in close quarters, while sacrificing the greater stopping power of the AKM.

Adding in a more realistic weapon movements would be nice, I should want to be use my MP5 while clearing something like an apartment complex instead of my full kitted out AKM.  The MP5 would be more maneuverable in close quarters, while sacrificing the greater stopping power of the AKM.

That is thankfully implemented now. It is not perfect yet but it is already in game and with time it will be an amazing gameplay addition.

It will give pistols more value too.

That is thankfully implemented now. It is not perfect yet but it is already in game and with time it will be an amazing gameplay addition.

It will give pistols more value too.

I'm hoping they add a system the lowers your weapon when you get too close to an object that should obstruct it.

• Like 3

- Red Orchestra's ability to stabilize your weapon by resting it on cover or pressing it up against a pole or doorway, corner of wall

- Raven Shield's fluid door and cover systems

- The Darkness' system where rubbing up against walls or faceplanting a wall affects your aiming (like SFRs suggestion)

- Like ARMA 3 or Breaking Point, weight over slots. Slot system is too inconsistent. Why does a screw driver take up twice as many slots as a flashlight that its twice it's size? Why does a measly piece of paper take up a slot at all? Stuff like that would be avoided with a weight system, but I guess you would need to account for overall volume as well

• Like 2

Vast underground complexes like in stalker that are dark and filled with odd monsters !

Weapon resting and correct ballistics from arma 3 realism mods.

Useable grenades like so

• Like 2