Sign in to follow this  
zoxintv

Tranquilizer Gun/Non-Lethal Take-Downs

I don't know about you guys, but I don't always want to kill people when I'm playing DayZ. Just because I know how much it sucks to have to die, find out where you are again, regroup with your squad, etc., I don't always jump to kill on sight. Trying to hold up one or two players to interrogate them gets pretty risky, though.

What I propose is that a non-lethal way to incapacitate players be implemented. I know that there are handcuffs, but carrying around three pairs of handcuffs to take down a group gets pretty insane if you ask me.

Finding a tranquilizer gun would work the same way that finding a normal gun would; you'll still need to track down some tranquilizer rounds.

This isn't just a lazy way of taking down enemies to loot them, it is still a painstakingly skilled hunt which can be even more dangerous in a situation where one group may be trying to kill you, while you're trying to keep them alive. Tranquilizer rounds don't just instantly put someone out of commission; you can continue fighting for a while after struck by a dart. Messages such as , "I'm getting dizzy" will be presented, along with minor initial damage from the round itself. After falling unconscious, you will be given a timer for when you will become conscious again.

I'm hoping that something like this would allow for players to still experience the harsh realities of life in DayZ, without needing to worry about 100% chance of death when someone wants your loot from you. People don't usually steal all of your loot, right? Sure, they'll steal all of your ammo and your guns, but you'll still be alive and able to regroup with the rest of your tranquilized squad.

Also, let's be honest, we could all definitely have some fun with tranquilized players. For real. Especially if we could have some kind of dragging/moving mechanic introduced for dead/unconscious bodies.

I'm starting to ramble, but if any of you have more suggestions for non-lethal take-downs of players, post them below! I think this is something that definitely needs to be considered for the features of DayZ.

Other ideas could include things like chloroform, a specific button for knocking/attempting to knock out someone out with your melee weapon or the butt of your rifle. Let's give people some kind of grasp that not everyone in DayZ is a murder dog, guys. What do you say?

Edited by ZoxinTV
  • Like 13

I don't like the idea of a traquilizer, I think the best thing to do would be add a tazer. It would require a battery, and blam, you could taze someone, which should last around 7 seconds.

• Like 2

I don't like the idea of a traquilizer, I think the best thing to do would be add a tazer. It would require a battery, and blam, you could taze someone, which should last around 7 seconds.

Good idea! I still like the idea of tranquilizer guns, but a tazer would still be a great implementation for an opportunity for non-lethal takedowns in game. Even if you taze them a incapacitate them for a few seconds, that's plenty of time to run up and handcuff them while you control the situation.

I would even like there to be the danger of someone's muscles spasming when they're tazed; they could swing their weapon once or twice, or their gun could fire off a shot while the muscles tense.

• Like 3

Seems authentic. And not game breaking. Bravo!

-snip-

Why hasn't this idea seen more attention?

They could explain it by Chernaus being some kind of nature reserve so that there'd be hunters who tranq animals and move them away from dangerous areas and stuff but now without restrictions they've bred like wildfire. And of course the ammo and suitable guns have been left behind.

A tranq pistol and a rifle or tranq rifle ammo would be awesome, so long as not every rifle or pistol can shoot the ammo it would be cool.

I think it would be way more satisfying to knock people out and take all their stuff than straight up kill them, it would be funny having it happen to you too.

However I think it should be made that zombies tend to avoid you if you're down sleeping, they should go for moving and bleeding players/animals almost exclusively. (I suggested something like this before)

With that maybe you could cut sleeping people to use them for attracting zombies.

I think rifle tranq rounds should be fairly instant(and rare) but pistol ones should take a minute or so and the rifle should be like the Longhorn, one shot then you have to reload so if you miss at close range you're at a disadvantage. A big one.

Wouldn't it be cool if it had some kind of affect on zombies too? Like instead of putting them to sleep, maybe it could make them go crazy, even attack other zombies. When stealth is implemented, that could be a very effective distraction assuming the other zombies start attacking/chasing the crazed one.

How bout both?

Tazer and Tranquilizer. The game really needs to give us options on how to interact with people because the only prudent option right now is hot death at 1500fps.

Imagine getting the drop on someone. Either using a taser or tranquilizer to knock them out. Dragging their body back to your car. Handcuffing them and driving them out to an abandoned shack to have a little fun.

Stealth could be something that could be amazing in this game since unlike any other game- you'd be using stealth against REAL players and not just zombie AI.

Imagine hunting and stalking someone with the intent to capture them instead of kill them

Good idea! I still like the idea of tranquilizer guns, but a tazer would still be a great implementation for an opportunity for non-lethal takedowns in game. Even if you taze them a incapacitate them for a few seconds, that's plenty of time to run up and handcuff them while you control the situation.

I would even like there to be the danger of someone's muscles spasming when they're tazed; they could swing their weapon once or twice, or their gun could fire off a shot while the muscles tense.

With the new ragdoll physics, this should be completely possible. 

6 day necro is acceptable right?

First, I like the idea and mostly support it. Second, I haven't done a search on other topics that have suggested the idea. I'd hope those guys have struck by now informing you how your post is pointless because it's already been said. 

Third, how about these:

Bean-bag shotgun. Tear gas. Mace. Ya know, standard riot gear one might expect to find in a city during the course of a panic-inducing outbreak resulting in much fabulous looting.

Fourth, inb4: "THIS IS NOT WHAT DAYZ IS ABOUT!!! DAYZ IS ABOUT %@!$# and KILLING YOUR OWN FAMILY!!!"

maybe if you couldnt find the gun you could put the darts on arrows

tranquilizer bow

or crossbow

Edited by Zuulass

We definitely need tranquilizers, tazers AND beanbag guns :) and I think whenever you spawn your character should have a random resistance to tranquilizers (like some people do in real life) anywhere from 0% to 15% so some people would need like 2 tranq darts to go unconscious ... I only suggest this because I can see whole clans hoarding darts and guns and this would be a very annoying problem for fresh spawns so once in a while you would find out that your character is a little bit resistant being able to take 2-3 darts to go unconscious instead of one ( of course every time you die your new character would have a new random resistance , and some might not even be resistant , it'll be kinda like blood type every time you spawn you get a random resistance ) maybe !?

How about non-lethal but weapons that require medical attention after use. Such as a harpoon gun.

How about non-lethal but weapons that require medical attention after use. Such as a harpoon gun.

A harpoon gun seems like it has the capability to be lethal to me. 

Edited by Jasonperson

Yeah... A harpoon gun sounds just as non-lethal as a javelin through the chest, unfortunately.

I like where you're going with that, though. The idea of being able to tend to wounds, ensure that gashes don't fester... I think this may be a bit too realistic in DayZ, though. No one wants to play medic as it is, to be honest, and it would take time away from the core ideals of the game as it stands today.

I would like to see some more ways to take care of bodily harm other than bits of t-shirt and sticks, though.

Edited by ZoxinTV

A harpoon gun seems like it has the capability to be lethal to me. 

LOL yeah ... Guess the guy never wondered why the police were not running around with harpoon guns all the time?

Some less-than-lethal weapons would be O.K but with the current gaming mechanics they would be a huge risk to use. Most people blow your head off as soon as they see you, any way.

They would be a good risk-free alternative to handcuffs, though.It is kind of silly that when you're slapping cuffs on someone, they get to attack you with a two-handed weapon.

I think a tranquilizer dart gun would make more sense. Can they not load tranquilizer ammo in some types of rifles? I see veterinarians run around with what seem to be regular rifles when they're on the news.

Its not a bad idea, we need more non lethal options for sure.

Would also like to see rubber bullets, which we can shoot from shotguns, to knock people unconcious without killing them tbh.

• Like 2

Don't taze me bro!

Actually not a bad idea. It would certainly create more interesting interactions other than, see movement: shoot.

Rubber bullets or Stinger grenades would make a good less lethal weapon, have them casuse high shock damage to anyone hit, a low bleed chance and a chance to break bones or cause fractures.

A paint ball gun loaded with pepper balls would work well to if they add in a blinding effect (could cause  the pain status effect for a limited time as insted )

/Signed.

This sounds great, having an ability to subdue without killing!

Tranquilizers don't act instantly.  Also they are made for animals not people so they wouldn't go through armor of any sort.  Even clothing might be a problem.  If I am a wearing a rain coat or puffy jacket I don't think a tranq gun would go though.  they are low power guns designed for animals.  Not people wearing clothing.  They don't act instantly if you have ever seen them tranq a deer the deer runs around for about 1-3 minutes before finally falling over.

There are a few sedatives that can put someone out instantly but you have to get them in the right place.  Like the neck or near the heart.     

I think gas would be more effective.  

Edited by harley001

I like the idea, but unfortunately I don't think anyone out there would drop an SKS or an AK for a tranquilizer gun.

Unless said tranquilizer bullets came in 7.62 casings, it might not change the game all that much.

I like the idea, but unfortunately I don't think anyone out there would drop an SKS or an AK for a tranquilizer gun.

Unless said tranquilizer bullets came in 7.62 casings, it might not change the game all that much.

My idea of adding in sting stun gerenades, pepper ball guns and rubber bullets solves the problem of loosing your main weapon, a sting gerande would take up a backpack slot like a norman grenade, rubber bullets can be stored in a spare mag for nonlethal takedowns and the pepperball gun could be carried as a sidearm like a pistol.

• Like 1

This is great. I think the best ideas here are

• Rubber bullets
  • shotgun bean bags
  • Tear gas
    Tasers
  • tranquiliser guns and darts
  • Smoke canisters

Are riot shields a thing? Could we have those too? And flashbangs? :huh: 

If tranquiliser guns were silent and didn't attract zombies, that would be even better.

Edited by bobotype3334
  • Like 1

That could work, but I still like the traq idea because it would give you much more time to conclude what happens next to that person.

For sure not the way OP suggested, it would be insanely OP. First dart cant bypass armor, helment etc, even jacket.. if this could be implemented than maybe. But I feel like OP wants one shot target disable which would be broken compared how resiliant players are to gunshot. Don´t make it op just coz it dont kill player right away.