Ninja_Meh

Movement controls detrimental to gameplay in 0.47 patch

But I like the new movement in .47

Specially the crawling.

• Like 2

I love the new movement changes. More balanced and to me semi-realistic. So, yea....no.

• Like 3

The way it was prior to this update was perfect. Crouching and then double tapping W to run, and then back to crouching, perfect. Now it's weird and annoying. A lot less fluidity. I hope this doesn't go into stable and it returns to normal.

• Like 8

I definitely agree with OP. I much preferred the system in 0.46 over the new implementation. As it is in 0.47, both crouch and ADS force you to move slow by default and fast with the sprint key/double tap w. No longer can you easily transition between crouch/prone and sprinting. I still think there's a chance that it's a bug/accidental because to me these changes seem to be less fluid.

Specially the crawling.

What's been changed with crawling since 0.46? I didn't pay much attention to it when playing earlier. 

Edited by solodude23
  • Like 3

Naw I like the new movement, though still coming down stairs with a broken leg means you walk down not crawl

I find the gun raised and crouched walk movements to be far too slow.

• Like 4

Specially the crawling.

do you mean the animations for the movement, or the fact you have to sprint to move at speed when you have your gun raised in either walking and crouching stance.

what is changed with crawling?? (i presume you mean prone when you say crawling, or do you mean crouched?)

I love the new movement changes. More balanced and to me semi-realistic. So, yea....no.

more balanced? please do explain how so? as for semi realism, try watching any footage of combat situations (say for example people fighting in syria or ukraine, so as to keep in line with civilians using weapons as opposed to trained military) then find me footage where any time someone has a gun aimed instantly begins to walk around from a jogging pace just because they aim their weapon. the inability to go from a crouched walking toggled speed to a sprint is totally against any realistic type of movement in a firefight situation. i know i certainly wouldnt be walking around if i was in a combat scenario, hell, i think i would even be able to aim and fire (albeit with a lot less accuracy) when i was actually sprinting. as opposed to not being able to sprint for some reason at all just because i have my gun at a readied state...

• Like 1

How so? 

do you mean the animations for the movement, or the fact you have to sprint to move at speed when you have your gun raised in either walking and crouching stance.

what is changed with crawling?? (i presume you mean prone when you say crawling, or do you mean crouched?)

more balanced? please do explain how so? as for semi realism, try watching any footage of combat situations (say for example people fighting in syria or ukraine, so as to keep in line with civilians using weapons as opposed to trained military) then find me footage where any time someone has a gun aimed instantly begins to walk around from a jogging pace just because they aim their weapon. the inability to go from a crouched walking toggled speed to a sprint is totally against any realistic type of movement in a firefight situation. i know i certainly wouldnt be walking around if i was in a combat scenario, hell, i think i would even be able to aim and fire (albeit with a lot less accuracy) when i was actually sprinting. as opposed to not being able to sprint for some reason at all just because i have my gun at a readied state...

Semi-realistic because why in the hell would you be moving fast while aiming? Especially with how guns work in in DayZ (as of right now) it will cause you to still have your normal aim as if not moving. Of course, this is because of the whole 0 dispersion with the AKM that I like this idea (I see lots of AKMs which is why I said this). More balanced because it means no more fools jogging fast with a gun out spraying (albeit maybe tweak it to be just a "tad faster").

How so? 

Read above.

Semi-realistic because why in the hell would you be moving fast while aiming? Especially with how guns work in in DayZ (as of right now) it will cause you to still have your normal aim as if not moving. Of course, this is because of the whole 0 dispersion with the AKM that I like this idea (I see lots of AKMs which is why I said this). More balanced because it means no more fools jogging fast with a gun out spraying (albeit maybe tweak it to be just a "tad faster").

Read above.

People seem to be confusing the issues here. im not saying we should be able to sprint and aim, and moving fast while aiming has pros and cons (being a harder target to hit, whilst still posing a threat, yet less accurate to fire and such) the point here is the ability to move fast and aim is STILL in game, yet for some reason has been turned to a really cumbersome thing to do in anyway and also try crouching, with no weapons drawn, and you will see you go from jogging pace to walking pace untill you "sprint" in crouched stance, which now makes you jog... that is just pointless and nulls the point of having a walk/run speed toggle in the first place. im not trying to say the controls and movement could not be improved but this first attempt is a massive step in a direction that makes sense to very few people i have seen discuss this so far.

People seem to be confusing the issues here. im not saying we should be able to sprint and aim, and moving fast while aiming has pros and cons (being a harder target to hit, whilst still posing a threat, yet less accurate to fire and such) the point here is the ability to move fast and aim is STILL in game, yet for some reason has been turned to a really cumbersome thing to do in anyway and also try crouching, with no weapons drawn, and you will see you go from jogging pace to walking pace untill you "sprint" in crouched stance, which now makes you jog... that is just pointless and nulls the point of having a walk/run speed toggle in the first place. im not trying to say the controls and movement could not be improved but this first attempt is a massive step in a direction that makes sense to very few people i have seen discuss this so far.

Just press the fast forward button, and also whenever I press the fast forward while crouched I don't stand up and start jogging. My character just goes faster while crouching. ._.

Just check every video on TV or on the internet of soldies moving around in towns or somewhere else in combat situations. They always have their weapons raised infront of them when they expect threat just around the next corner but they still move fast. They do not sprint around of course but they also do not slowly walk. And they often also walk fast in a state between standing and crouching.

The new movement system is forthrightly spoken crap...

So please stop coming with these typical arguments like "it's more realistic". Has nothing to do with realism when you slowly cross a street in a situation in which you could get shot every second....

And no, I'm not saying you should be able to sprint and shoot like some action-film-cowboy^^

Edited by Kal_Zakath
  • Like 6

Just check every video on TV or on the internet of soldies moving around in towns or somewhere else in combat situations. They always have their weapons raised infront of them when they expect threat just around the next corner but they still move fast. They do not sprint around of course but they also do not slowly walk. And they often also walk fast in a state between standing and crouching.

So please stop coming with these typical arguments like "it's more realistic". Has nothing to do with realism when you slowly cross a street in a situation in which you could get shot every second....

And no, I'm not saying you should be able to sprint and shoot like some action-film-cowboy^^

I like you, you know whats sensible. also i checked my twitter this morning and Viktor one of the guys behind a lot of the changes has said there are bugs having adverse effects on the movement and that the topics of discussion are being noted, which is good news and why i love the teams that bring us dayz, they listen to us for the most part and also let us know when things like what we are discussing have changed but are not working as they intended (which i thought to be the case because the controls change seems to not be working as they intended, but is moving in a way they want in some way or other)

im sure they will find a decent compromise in good time. :P

• Like 1

Make the movement like Arma 3. Default combat walk, press shift when ADS combat jog (With extra sway cuz were not "trained soldiers")

maneuverability with a raised axe / pistol is pretty shocking imo.

eidt : added pistol

Edited by Calibre

\/ THIS.

Aiming with a combat pace is very common and useful - and should be the default pace. If you want to aim more precisely while moving, use the walk toggle. I set mine to the F key for this very reason. It was very fluid before - and this is far from it. If anything, the fluidity of transitions between stances and movements is what makes it feel realistic.  Running-and-gunning or spraying-and-praying should be dealt with not by making controls less fluid, but by better designing the ballistics to have penalties for more movement.

Edited by solodude23
  • Like 1

New movement is far better.

Why do people insist on turning this into a twitch shooter. They finally fixed the movement so it is more natural and realistic yet people want to go back to the 10 mph strafe speeds ?

• Like 5

New movement is far better.

Why do people insist on turning this into a twitch shooter. They finally fixed the movement so it is more natural and realistic yet people want to go back to the 10 mph strafe speeds ?

My thoughts exactly.

Old movement felt like Unreal Tournament or Counter-Strike.

New movement feels more realistic.

• Like 1

yeah walking around when gun shots ring out at you, totally realistic XD

• Like 2

More realistic then moving with sanic speed on completely flat area while your equipment weights nothing at all.

PS.

And while you take one bullet to the body your character also don't gieve a f*.

Realistic

PPS.

Then don't walk around with gun when shots ring around you but start sprinting?

Oh wait, you want to sprint Unreal Tournament or Counter-Strike style?

Edited by Frosti

Put your weapon down and then sprint.

Humans simply do not move like they do in FPS people do not move side to side with the same dexterity that they do when moving forward.

• Like 2

Humans simply do not move like they do in FPS people do not move side to side with the same dexterity that they do when moving forward.

sorry i dont play any FPS asides from Dayz, and killing floor. the dev has already confirmed on twitter that a lot of the issues with the movement are bugs. i can side step very fast and also at a slower walking pace. the controls were more "realistic" in 0.46 :) being forced to walk just because you crouched is clearly a bug along with weapon raising.

More realistic then moving with sanic speed on completely flat area while your equipment weights nothing at all.

PS.

Realistic

sanic speed? also if you have pristine clothing and a military vest on i think you can take a single shot without it outright knocking you unconscious, which is kind of the idea, being able to move with human dexterity is realistic, the cumbersome parts of the movement have been confirmed to be bugged from intended, so im happy with that, and await the fixes due

• Like 1

I haven't noticed any change regarding what you said from .46 to .47. Were the players really slowed down?

Nothing to do with the changes in question.

Then don't walk around with gun when shots ring around you but start sprinting?

Oh wait, you want to sprint Unreal Tournament or Counter-Strike style?

Why does everyone jump to this conclusion? It's like you guys run out of valid arguments and go to the b.s. "counter strike" accusations. I only want movement to be fluid and make sense. If weapons/ballistics are handled properly, this should never result in a counter-strike/UT type game.

I DEFINITELY think that in general, movement should be slowed. I cannot wait for a more robust endurance system that prevents you from sprinting across the map. Not only is it unrealistic, but it hinders gameplay. However, I should not need to stand up before sprinting anymore than you have to think about standing up before sprinting in real life. You just do it.

But, what does this have to do with what the OP was referring to? We just don't like the forced default slow ADS walk and crouch, and inability to go from crouch/prone to sprint without using several keys. Aiming at a combat pace is extremely useful and you can always use the walk toggle to get to that speed anyway.

Edited by solodude23
  • Like 2