massacrorBKK

Fire from the hip animation

Hi everyone.

Made a search about that but couldn't find anything relevant so I'm making a thread. (search function is quite weird sometimes, I search "fire from the hip" and it found me many threads completely odd... like about tents, pistols silencer or drag body function... anyway).

It could be nice when characters are gripping rifle (can work with a pistol as well) without aiming that the animation shows the character with the rifle at the hip. Could be some explanation why the aiming is harder but let you move faster.

The animation now is coming from Arma2 I guess, and make everybody looking like commandos by always gripping and firing their rifle at the shoulder.

Once again, all characters are not supposed to be former green berets...

If anyone understand my english, feel free to post your comment...

• Like 1

Ask yourself this. If it was the apocalypse and ammunition is VERY limited, would you fire from the hip, or aim down sight?

Ask yourself this. If it was the apocalypse and ammunition is VERY limited, would you fire from the hip, or aim down sight?

Dependant on the situation.... 

If I was being held up, and knew I couldn't shoulder my rifle, you can bet your ass I'm going to hipfire. Even if I don't hit anything, still makes them scatter..

Edited by Preach
  • Like 1

Dependant on the situation.... 

If I was being held up, and knew I couldn't shoulder my rifle, you can bet your ass I'm going to hipfire. Even if I don't hit anything, still makes them scatter..

That might be the ONLY situation. Besides, they have bigger priorities at the moment.

That might be the ONLY situation. Besides, they have bigger priorities at the moment.

You need to push from cover to cover? That's 2.

You need to push out of cover and back pedal? There's 3.

Most people probably wouldn't be armed with a rifle at all. But this is DayZ, currently a very inaccurate representation of what a zombie apocalypse would be like.

Most people probably wouldn't be armed with a rifle at all. But this is DayZ, currently a very inaccurate representation of what a zombie apocalypse would be like.

Actually, I would think that rifles would be far more common in a region like Chernarus.  I grew up in the country and most people I knew had at _least_ 1 hunting rifle and 1 shotgun, whereas very few people had handguns.  Now that I'm older, I own 3 handguns and no rifles... but that's because I don't live in the country any more and my weapons are for protection, not hunting.

• Like 1

You need to push from cover to cover? That's 2.

You need to push out of cover and back pedal? There's 3.

We have a shouldered, but not aimed down sight, firing position. That's good enough. 

I would take my time and aim down sight. That I can already do ingame...

What I mean is the actual walk and fire animation is making the avatar more looking like a soldier than a civilian... look the fighting style of SWAT and gangs... both of them are used to weapons, but their training and discipline is not the same.

I'm not asking they make this tomorrow... Doesn't mean I have to wait for propose... As long as nobody here is part of the dev team, who can say when it is the right moment. Hope when they see an idea to their liking, they note it somewhere...

Nonsense. Why wouldn't you fire from the hip, if you have hundreds of rounds, an automatic rifle, and are willing to do it. Shoulder and hip stance have different animation in first person, have different accuracy, and therefore should look different from 3rd person view as well. Long live the common sense.

Edited by saamohod
  • Like 1

Nonsense. Why wouldn't you fire from the hip, if you have hundreds of rounds, an automatic rifle, and are willing to do it. Shoulder and hip stance have different animation in first person, have different accuracy, and therefore should look different from 3rd person view as well. Long live the common sense.

My point is, it makes more sense to accurately place your shots than to hip fire like a maniac.

My point is, it makes more sense to accurately place your shots than to hip fire like a maniac.

Exactly. But you should have a choice of doing it or not. It seems to be implemented anyway, the only problem is that the 3rd person animation pictures both stances (hip and shoulder aiming) the same way, although they aren't the same. That's all.

Edited by saamohod

But the most realistic one made.

You're missing that there is no point where you're moving (apart from sprint) where the rifle isn't shouldered.

When you're not looking down your sights, your rifle is still braced on your shoulder, you're just not tilting your head.

In a country like Chernarus, almost every civilian would be using long guns. The IZH-43, SKS, and Mosin are good examples of typical guns you see in that kind of setting. In fact, there'd be a good deal who had AKMs stashed away, many more people with select-fire weapons than in the US, but that's not done for balance reasons.

A few people might have handguns & revolvers like the TT-33, Makarov, Nagant M1895, and CZ-75, but they would still tend to be people who lived in an area like Chernogorsk, Elektrozavodsk, or Novodmitrovosk, rather than the farming villages.

The US would be pretty different in some areas. Most of the built up areas on the east coast or west coast would be heavily limited to handguns, and plenty of the big midwestern cities would be similar. But head out into the country of even a state like Pennsylvania, and you've got people who own 15 shotguns & rifles.

Hell, I live ~45 minutes from Philadelphia and you can buy shotguns from the nearby Walmart. However, there are no handgun dealers for a considerable distance outside of where I live. The only places you could truly go and see people relying solely on handguns would be cities like Los Angeles or New York, which superbly restrict firearm ownership. Otherwise, pretty much anyone who survived would have their hands on something bigger at that point.

You're missing that there is no point where you're moving (apart from sprint) where the rifle isn't shouldered.

When you're not looking down your sights, your rifle is still braced on your shoulder, you're just not tilting your head.

That's a weird problem you see in most games today. They call any instance that you're not aiming down the sights "hip-firing", even though it's incredibly obvious through both first person and looking at other characters that its just regular shouldered firing, and they don't even change animations when you aim down the sights. It's probably just an excuse to make firing without the sights inaccurate and pointless, though.

Edited by Chaingunfighter