Sign in to follow this  
Mark Darkers

A nice hike and thoughts about map design

Hi, I would like to share a nice moment I had in DayZ with the rest of you.
This is why I like DayZ so much, you can experience so many different things, it does not always have to be about shooting people or running from zombies.

If you look for it, you will also find the beauty of the apocalypse.

I also made this video to show you the importance of large forest areas (which are disappearing unfortunately). For this reason I think it would be smart to expand the debug to large forest areas. It even can be from the same type of tree (to save draw-calls on the entire map), but just so you have a different way of surviving. I guess i'm just saying creating cool towns is not

the only thing that was attractive about DayZ, it is the scale and the beauty that can be created on the whole map itself.

A next thing I want to point out is the importance of good map design and environmental exploration, in this part of the map the devs have done a wonderful job in my opinion, it would be nice to see this on more parts of the map. It would be a great addition to the map if there would be large caves, in this video I just walked trough a very small one, few meters, but having larger parts of the mountain explore-able would be amazing, it would feel adventurous.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the importance of ambient music, it can really influence the mood of an area and also influence to behavior of players. Maybe we don't have music out of no where in real life, but for immersion it can be a big deal.

The video is pretty long so here are some highlights. The video can be found at the bottom.

213s07p.jpg

23vm3wj.jpg33c1bo7.jpg2uqi2qx.jpg

Edited by Mark Darkers