Katana67

Deer Stands - What Do You Want To Spawn There?

All hail the mighty deer stand! Thou supplier of loners and devourer of time!

Deer stands have been devoid of loot in the standalone for quite some time. Visiting these mini Stary Sobors is one of the fondest memories I have from the mod.

In the mod, for a while at least, these structures (scattered all over the map as I'm sure you're aware) provided a rare mid-range spawn of so-called "military" gear (generally nothing more flashy than a vanilla M4A1 or AK-74). They were then patched to be totally focused on hunting gear.

This is all well and good, but I'd like to see them return to their former status as having the capability to spawn decent pieces of kit every now and again... with a few caveats.

• The overall percentages should be (roughly, just using this to demonstrate a point) as follows - 95% hunting gear, 5% mid-range "military" gear
  • Things like DMRs and Mk 48s (whatever their equivalent ends up being in the standalone) should never spawn here at all
  • Ammunition for rare military gear should never spawn here at all (which is problematic given the current ammunition paradigm)
  • The hunting items that spawn at deer stands should be primarily clothes, followed by gear (knives, traps, game calls, etc.), followed by weapons (CZ 527s, SKSs, Mosins, and whatever else they end up adding), followed by ammunition, followed by canned food as a rarer spawn

What I liked about this approach in the mod was that it provided an alternative approach to gearing. The typical system of venturing into a high-risk area (NWAF, for example) to get high-end gear never really appealed to my personal playstyle. It's a high-risk, low-time, high-reward scenario.

With deer stands, it was the inverse. A low-risk, high-time, low-reward scenario. This provided a time-intensive alternative to looting, which was great for those of us who like to stay on the periphery of the map. Likewise, with the marked increase in survival mechanics being touted... I suspect these areas (however marginalized, see my "Save The Trees" thread) will become more attractive to the average player.

Plus, it probably couldn't hurt to actually have a dynamic deer area spawn percentage if a player camps out in a deer stand for long enough.

What would you like in YOUR deer stand?

800px-DeerStand_3.jpg?version=d4f8212dc0

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 16

What you suggested seems about perfect.

hunting shotguns and rifles along with ammo for those weapons + knives for field dressing.

• Like 5

Also crossbow + ammo for it, some hunting backpack as well.

I remember doing deer stand runs around Devil's castle and then south-east of Grishino as well.

At first it was relatively secure, but then more and more we encountered other players and often got shot.

• Like 3

Also crossbow + ammo for it, some hunting backpack as well.

I remember doing deer stand runs around Devil's castle and then south-east of Grishino as well.

At first it was relatively secure, but then more and more we encountered other players and often got shot.

I started doing that exact run during that one patch early in dayz life where the devs upped the zombie count and the spawn rate so it was nearly impossible to survive any time alone or with people.

• Like 2

While we're on the topic of "stands," I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to a deployable tree stand being a looted item at deer stands.

stand_rightcol.jpg

Might be a little bit much having people in the treeeees maaan! But, high chance of falling to your death...

But what I'd really want, is this...

camera.jpg

Game camera, could be put up on a tree near your camp... could utilize a similar technology as the mirror/screen bit from ARMA III in recording an image of whoever raided your cozy camp site.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

Id be cool with just low tier to mid range items spawning and most often times just some cans of food at best.

Only hunting items. Only things that you would find in a hunters hide to begin with.. 

..and a few of them, maybe 1 or 2 should have signs of being used a last hold out by someone (like say have several static dead zed corpses gathered around the thing, and have a campsite below it with fireplace and tent)... And the loot there should spawn civilian weapons and survival gear on the ground as well as in the tower. 

Edited by lrish

I would prefer nothing spawned there because why should it be there?

Who would leave hunting gear or even guns there? If it was outside a house perhaps but a random one on top of a hill...what kind of idiot would leave weapons there for anyone to find.

They should just make it have a higher chance to spot some deer around them, it's rather inelegant to just run around the forest until you see one realistically they'd hear you coming and probably be gone or leaving before you noticed them. Or if you walked...well that would just take too long.

So a higher deer and possibly other animal spawn rate would do, perhaps as a downside a higher wolf spawn rate too.

Gear wise at best, hats maybe. No hunter would leave without their gun, maybe they saw a zombie and just didn't take their hat.

Who would leave hunting gear or even guns there? If it was outside a house perhaps but a random one on top of a hill...what kind of idiot would leave weapons there for anyone to find.

They should just make it have a higher chance to spot some deer around them, it's rather inelegant to just run around the forest until you see one realistically they'd hear you coming and probably be gone or leaving before you noticed them. Or if you walked...well that would just take too long.

So a higher deer and possibly other animal spawn rate would do, perhaps as a downside a higher wolf spawn rate too.

Gear wise at best, hats maybe. No hunter would leave without their gun, maybe they saw a zombie and just didn't take their hat.

Some who more often than not got attacked i would imagine. Maybe they got off the stand thinking it was safe. Let there guard down and than wind up dead after. There is allot of IF factors that can play into a scenario like that.

I would prefer not

Answer - It's a game. And it was fun having stuff spawn at deer stands, because it allowed for a different type of gameplay. Rather than the singular experience of going to a high-value area, one could gear up to a middling capacity just off of deer stands.

If we look at it from a purely "plausible circumstances" perspective, half of the loot is in places where it shouldn't necessarily be.

• Like 5

Some who more often than not got attacked i would imagine. Maybe they got off the stand thinking it was safe. Let there guard down and than wind up dead after. There is allot of IF factors that can play into a scenario like that.

Why did they get off and leave their guns? Unless Chernaus was populated by brain damaged hunters that wouldn't happen, certainly not enough to warrant some sort of spawn in every deer stand much less good loot.

For hunting gear they should just add some kind of hunters cabin building, the kind of store you'd go to for clothing, fishing rods etc and that gives us another spot for fish hooks which are madly rare.

If we look at it from a purely "plausible circumstances" perspective, half of the loot is in places where it shouldn't necessarily be.

True but current loot spawns aren't the final loot spawns.

If there's any good loot in them you can guarantee they'll all be occupied by people camping and waiting for people to come look, it would be better if they were just suitable for hunting rather than being a target zone for douchebags.

Being a good place to find animals to eat is good enough, especially when canned food gets more scarce we're going to need it, not hunting gear.

Why did they get off and leave their guns? Unless Chernaus was populated by brain damaged hunters that wouldn't happen, certainly not enough to warrant some sort of spawn in every deer stand much less good loot.

For hunting gear they should just add some kind of hunters cabin building, the kind of store you'd go to for clothing, fishing rods etc and that gives us another spot for fish hooks which are madly rare.

You don't have to be brain dead to make a wrong decision that can cost you your life. Freak accidents happen all the time no matter how careful some ppl may be.  Besides even some cans of food or something left over would be nice. It doesn't really have to be a weapon you know or a piece of clothing.

If there's any good loot in them you can guarantee they'll all be occupied by people camping and waiting for people to come look, it would be better if they were just suitable for hunting rather than being a target zone for douchebags.

Being a good place to find animals to eat is good enough, especially when canned food gets more scarce we're going to need it, not hunting gear.

I don't agree. I can count on one hand how many times I've been killed at a deer stand, out of two years of playing.

They're all over the place, there are more deer stands than there are players-per-server right now. There are over 100 deer stands.

Compared to something like a barracks building or a police station, they are very... very... low-risk locations.

If they're made into a low-rate, mid-range spawn, I can't see that drawing hordes of "camping" players in... when there are much more centralized and high-traffic areas around.

• Like 1

the occasional hunter pants / rope / maybe a hunting knife / burlap...stuff like that...

• Like 1

I had the idea deer stands turn into small bus shelters along roads where pre-infection a public transport network would ferry passengers by bus on and off at these stations. It is more usefull a question of designing the "deerstand" into a space that in real life would hold the loot that you want to spawn in the game. Like this it would have reason to spawn a wider variety of loot classes (residential, farm with the occasional pistol lying about)

1355380757-adaptbymany-milostodorovic-sh

Edited by Pokerguy10
  • Like 1

Now what about Barricading?

What if nothing spawns there, and you can barricade yourself up there? ...hmmmmm  :)

Now what about Barricading?

What if nothing spawns there, and you can barricade yourself up there? ...hmmmmm  :)

For fun i used to design makeshift military fortifications for my architecture projects when i was supposed to be designing nonsense like fancy houses and shopping malls. The image is a picture of an bus shelter that is meant to be an outdoor space that provides shelter, i think alot of places in CHernarus could be redesigned with similar concepts. Fire station i am looking at you.

Hell i want a swimming pool in the NWAF and a submarine base on Skalitsy island

• Like 1

I think they should spawn what deerstands could've like camos, knives, axes, some dropped spare ammo, rope, tape etc. but something like a gun is too much IMO.

Mostly because its a game imo. 

There should be a deer spawning around. Like, you know... deer stand, but no deers?

I don't agree. I can count on one hand how many times I've been killed at a deer stand, out of two years of playing.

They're all over the place, there are more deer stands than there are players-per-server right now. There are over 100 deer stands.

Compared to something like a barracks building or a police station, they are very... very... low-risk locations.

If they're made into a low-rate, mid-range spawn, I can't see that drawing hordes of "camping" players in... when there are much more centralized and high-traffic areas around.

Yeah because nothing good spawns in them, that would change if they spawned a hunters set many people would want it and thus many people would want to hog the gear.

And soon there will probably be about that many players with 64 bit servers, the easy to find ones near spawns will be targeted.

It's better they be useless in terms of loot then people are only going to go near them for hunting, you could set up shop there maybe you could board it up so nobody can climb in only weakness being grenades.

Deer spawns is all we need.

Food should be priority over gear getting geared up is too easy as it is the only good item that's somewhat hard to find is a high capacity vest.

Yeah because nothing good spawns in them, that would change if they spawned a hunters set many people would want it and thus many people would want to hog the gear.

And soon there will probably be about that many players with 64 bit servers, the easy to find ones near spawns will be targeted.

Again, it was the case in the mod (i.e. decent stuff spawning there now and again). And not every, or even most, deer stand(s) was/were camped... or even visited.

You're seriously positing, that if the player count goes up (to around 100, by the developer's own statements) that every single deer stand will be constantly camped? That's unfeasible and more than unlikely. Even if half of them are, which is a ludicrous proposition, there's 50 left over. Even if 25% of them are, which is equally ludicrous, there's 75 uncamped deer stands.

If there's a 95% chance that deer stands spawn unremarkable stuff that can be found elsewhere, and a 5% chance that it spawns mid-range loot, 95% of those deer stands aren't spawning anything special at any given time. So why would it make sense to camp these, when barracks spawn decent stuff nearly 100% of the time and people flock to those much more frequently? I mean, it just doesn't add up.

I think you're seriously underestimating the significance of rarity.