Sign in to follow this  
KiskilleAcronym

Green Mountain (and other) Ambient

Once I thought that having something like Silent Hill have, would be good for this game. Like when you encounter wierd shit in SH, the ambient sound changes to really scarry and disturbing "music" like this:

Or sometimes like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4M0ujNfkJ8#t=11

In DayZ it could be used like when zombies start to attack you, or in moments of general "panic", a dynamic soundtrack to add in the atmosphere. Nothing loud that would bother gameplay, I think that it should be the optional "music" in the game. Silent Hill 1,2 and 3 were games that had great atmosphere (and creepy as hell) created by sound effects.

It would be cool to get in a big city, close to the hospital at a rainy night, all steath because lots of zombies and something like this kicks in:

(btw this whole ost is worth checking out, its this video link)

The horror side of this game could drink on these sources maybe

Edited by Avant-Garde

It would be nice if it had the ambiance of Namalsk except for each map it has a different ambiance?

I may be getting ahead of where the game is at but it is a good idea!

Obviously you didn't read the post.

This post doesn't cover Green Mountain exclusively.

It's about doing a whole ambient overhaul.

For example.

In the woods you will hear birds singing, flapping wings, the leaves you thread on, branches snapping...

Also this game does actually need an entire sound overhaul for immersions.

A post made here suggested echoing when walking in the church: I think this should be made possible with the new engine.

The whole point of ambient and sound is immersion and better experience. 

Pretty sure it was a Half Life 2 reference. "We don't go to Ravenholm".

A sound overhaul would be nice. I'd like to see an abolition of sounds like the gate swing, and instead have that sound only play when a gate is actually being opened. Same with the soda can sound, and a myriad of others.

This post doesn't cover Green Mountain exclusively.

Then it's not exclusively cursed!

Obviously you didn't read the post.

Hehe, I think the guy's just referencing HL2. "We don't go to Ravenholm any more ..."

Anyhow, I like the suggestions regarding ambient. Better ambient would do much for me. My guess would be that current ambient will be changed a lot when they overhaul the sound system.

One objection though:

Like a branch snapping.

Personally I'd prefer if branches snapped if something actually snapped them. Like every once in a while, when you're running around in the forest, a foot step would break a branch, creating a sound that can be heard further away than the footstep. Same would go for zombie footsteps and possibly animal foot steps. A breaking branch would really get your heart rate up.

Edit: stating opinion fail.

Edited by LeeVanSpliff

Mmh... to me Green Mountain is not frightening at all. I suppose that means I am really smart.

one does not simply write Green Mountain in red text and survive to do it again.

oh btw, I liked this one:

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRfNyLFx_MQ

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPqyZYqxcYE

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JomcPnGYL6A

Holy shit the doors sounds is a must, I just didn't liked the shots noise, but all the rest is awesome.

• Like 1

Indeed, has been suggested in the past a bit.. but yes I want it all and sounds of breeze blowing through a 2nd/3rd story building with that howling kind of sound.. im sure will see it but not for aaaages cause sound is always done last on film or game!

But yes, anything more to green mountain would be nice... I wish for a bunker under the ground that reaches 5-6 levels down and there is spiderweb everywhere and concrete corrdors and then there's teh zhombees...

Edited by liquidcactus
  • Like 1

Indeed, has been suggested in the past a bit.. but yes I want it all and sounds of breeze blowing through a 2nd/3rd story building with that howling kind of sound.. im sure will see it but not for aaaages cause sound is always done last on film or game!

But yes, anything more to green mountain would be nice... I wish for a bunker under the ground that reaches 5-6 levels down and there is spiderweb everywhere and concrete corrdors and then there's teh zhombees...

This is a great idea, imagine how cool would it be to have something like a underground base, all dark'n filled with zombies and bandits + good loot and a diferent atmosphere.

This is a great idea, imagine how cool would it be to have something like a underground base, all dark'n filled with zombies and bandits + good loot and a diferent atmosphere.

ONE DAY ! until then.. let us dream....