Sign in to follow this  
KiskilleAcronym

Green Mountain (and other) Ambient

We all know how annoying some DayZ ambient sounds are.
Hearing a closing fence in the middle of black forest isn't, at least in my opinion, realistic.

Can be useful to remove unnecessary background noises.

But use something nice for exchange.

Players like to feel haunted my something when they visit Green Mountain.
My idea is to add horror ambient to Green Mountain.
Give the players something they would really like to see, hear or feel.

Like a branch snapping.
Wind blowing and scratching antennas of the radio tower.

Just something to give you a real chill. If the community likes Green Mountain as a scary place, then make it a scarier experience.

This idea does not just apply to Green Mountain.
The devs can add areal ambients: for villages, forests, airfields, cities...
Anything that would give us an even more astounding experience.

At the end of the day, you have an ambient perfect game that anyone would enjoy listening to. 

This post doesn't cover Green Mountain exclusively.

It's a discussion about the flaws and the things needed to be add to the sound system of DayZ.
It's about doing a whole ambient overhaul.
For example.
In the woods you will hear birds singing, flapping wings, the leaves you thread on, branches snapping...

Also this game does actually need an entire sound overhaul for immersions.
A post made here suggested echoing when walking in the church: I think this should be made possible with the new engine.

The whole point of ambient and sound is immersion and better experience. 

Random sounds like soda caps popping, random closing and opening fence (this is especially annoying if you find yourself on top of a tower or in a forest), dropping bullets...

Edited by KiskilleAcronym
  • Like 17

i would also like some kind of different ambient sounds for different locations like:

- strong wind ( <- ? ) if you´re on a runway/airport

- every step makes an echo if you walk in a church

oh, and i also really like this idea:

Wind blowing and scratching the antennas of the radio tower.

• Like 3

Are you kidding? Green mountain is already creepey enough. I rarely go there in standalone, even if its an empty server I still feel like someone or something is watching me. I think adding unique or customs sounds to certain places would up the creepiness factor even more. Good idea though, would be funny to set up an ambush(clown masks and all) in these places just to scare the bejeesus out of peeps

Edited by Tobias Winfro
  • Like 1

yes :)   and howling wolves at the night ^^  

rustle of leaves in the wood by the wind

etc.

• Like 1

yes :)   and howling wolves at the night ^^  

rustle of leaves in the wood by the wind

etc.

But only if you can actually hunt the wolves afterwards, they shouldn't be sound only.

• Like 2

Farting sounds when you eat to many cans of beans.  :beans:  :beans:  :beans: :o  :blush:

• Like 2

Farting sounds when you eat to many cans of beans.  :beans:  :beans:  :beans: :o  :blush:

Haha, nice!

But going off-topic a bit here :P

Haha, nice!

But going off-topic a bit here :P

ok ok, I'll contribute something more serious then  :P

What I would like to hear would be sounds like screams from a distance.

What annoys me the most is the constant wind sounds no matter where you are, or the wave sounds even when you are several 100 meters away from the shore.

If I am in an open field or on the top of the radio tower on green mountain then wind sounds are good, but not when I am standing below between buildings.

• Like 1

... or the wave sounds even when you are several 100 meters away from the shore.

This is SO TRUE.

That's one of the reasons they should add in areal ambient sounds!

Great idea ! Would like to hear the banging shutter in the wind or the creaking of a wind mill...all in the appropriate places of course.

Like the idea of screams in the distance as long as they are not all the same and too often...I would like gun shots to travel a long distance not loud enough to make you think they are shooting at you..unless they are... But just to hear other players shooting would make it feel like you are not all alone. I've played hours on a server with 30/40 and never saw a single person. Felt too much like a single player game. Maybe when cars get implemented we could have a lot of abandoned cars and some with car alarms. I know totally already used in zombie games but always enjoyed the thought. Hearing them in the distance might draw players or Zeds to it creating a rallying point for helpers or killers.

• Like 3

oh yes, this is a nice suggestion! BEANS FOR YOU MASTER! :beans:

• Like 1

i would also like some kind of different ambient sounds for different locations like:

- strong wind ( <- ? ) if you´re on a runway/airport

- every step makes an echo if you walk in a church

oh, and i also really like this idea:

The echo would need a more modern sound engine. The current engine still uses the sound engine of ToH. But it could be possible, most modern engines use modify sones, these are collisions (triggers, so you go trough them) and as long as you are inside them (sphere like) the sound is modified realtime. This could be a technique used for dayz, and it is not that performance intensive.

• Like 2

The echo would need a more modern sound engine. The current engine still uses the sound engine of ToH. But it could be possible, most modern engines use modify sones, these are collisions (triggers, so you go trough them) and as long as you are inside them (sphere like) the sound is modified realtime. This could be a technique used for dayz, and it is not that performance intensive.

This is true.

The developers said something about upgrading the engine or making a new engine.

Something in that context. Let's hope they upgrade the audio as well.

This is true.

The developers said something about upgrading the engine or making a new engine.

Something in that context. Let's hope they upgrade the audio as well.

They have made their own engine, it is called Enfusion. Because they came to a point that their engines source could did not look anything like the original (ToH) engine code at all. And now that they are implementing a new render engine from another engine Bohemia purchased, the engine is officially a beast of itself, Enfusion. So I really hope they upgrade their sound engine with it to.

• Like 1

Green Mountain is my home, its haunted for sure, my pet Zed guarded and always spawned back after a while, I love the place, Green Mountain was mainly creepy because I am there. I think it is a beautiful place, but it belongs to the Ghosts and Damned Player souls I have taken, 902. Big number :) Green Mountain Serial Killer For life!

Green Mountain is my home, its haunted for sure, my pet Zed guarded and always spawned back after a while, I love the place, Green Mountain was mainly creepy because I am there. I think it is a beautiful place, but it belongs to the Ghosts and Damned Player souls I have taken, 902. Big number :) Green Mountain Serial Killer For life!

Your name tells us everything we need to know.

Please. this. but I must admit, I find it frustrating to hear sounds that just don't have a source. example? The sound of doors closing shouldn't exist (as ambient) because I always keep an ear out for noises of players/zeds.

Wolves, gunshots, doors/gates, etc. should have actual sources. but wind rustles, dust/dirt falling from high up, rat squeaks, high tension wires "singing", the "tinking" noise a flagpole makes, water dripping, (a much softer version of ) the chain link fences being affected by wind, creaking metal in some areas (like railyards)... even the occasional rustle of a small animal or distant twig snap in forests.

I agree on changing the sound to be more realistic. For me, I hate that I hear gates and footsteps when there's nobody around. Because then if I do hear footsteps, I might just think it's part of the ambient (irl, every sound has a cause). The horror ambient for green mountain seems cool, but I've never had the opportunity to go there. Make it so!

In fact the whole sound system need to be redone.
I have a nice headset (Astro A50 + Asus Phoebus and in the past i was playing with a Logitech G930) and i CAN'T hear player footstep sound, a lot of time i was killed cause people can just run at me without making any noise, same for zombies, sometimes we hear random should of heating/open pepsi and stuff like this even if their is absolutely NO ONE near, it look like sound can be hear from other places.
And this ambient sound they make NO SENSE, how can a fence make noise with no one/nothing touch it, ok for some RARE noise caused by the wind but that's ALL, with liveless people, object are moved only on rare occasions, wind should already have make fall object that can fall with it, not only when we are here...

I think that the random ambient should should be driven by presence, animals/zombies/players, if their is animals we can hear some small sound, the sound they make...Except for Fox ! :rolleyes: but also they can do other sound, such as try to eat into a trash or things like this, but wild animals in general are quiet...
But zombies will probably make way more noise like knock over a trash, walk and hit a fence, empty can on the ground, make something fall or anything else.
And player should drive to others sound, also things like door should make noise, footstep should be hear, both the fact that they walk and make noise on the ground AND the fact that the equipment should make noise while walking, more heavily loaded with equipment they are and more they should make noise, except if walking, and really huge noise while sprint/fast running.
And maybe random sound related to near player, hard to hear but if we do that can help us to know that we are not alone here, it can be noise of something falling inside an house (like if the guy have look for something and do a mess or something that he have no correctly close/Drop just fall or a door that smash cause of the wind...) braking windows and more...

Away from town we should not ear sound such as fence or things like this, more sound like wild animals, broken tree branch or stuff like this...

Look at the game TheHunter which is a hunting simulator, wild sound are nicely done in it, same for the mods for Skyrim : Sound of Skyrim - the wild 

• Like 3

I want this ambience for green mountain.

nLZmu.jpg

• Like 1

I know for a fact they are working on sound (or so they say) to at least cut out this random noises that don't belong (cans opening, zombie grunts and groans when no zombie is near you etc), but I support the idea of dynamic sound

We don't go to Green Mountain any more 

Obviously you didn't read the post.

This post doesn't cover Green Mountain exclusively.

It's about doing a whole ambient overhaul.

For example.

In the woods you will hear birds singing, flapping wings, the leaves you thread on, branches snapping...

Also this game does actually need an entire sound overhaul for immersions.

A post made here suggested echoing when walking in the church: I think this should be made possible with the new engine.

The whole point of ambient and sound is immersion and better experience. 

Edited by KiskilleAcronym