Time Glitch

The ONLY Realistic Way to Prevent Deathmatching: Make DayZ a Living Hell

+1 on making DayZ more coop and survival game, less deathmatch.

Rocket mentioned that he improved code and more infected can be spawned on a server - good. But supplies, weapons/ammo are way too common and easy to loot.

As I mentioned somewhere else, you can fully equip yourself in less than 30 minutes after respawn to fully survive in game, and 50 minutes to start a regular war with high class military equipment.

• Like 17

Haters gonna hate.

But that man speaks the truth.

Thanks, man.

I would look forward to the challenge, though most will probably say "Then everyone will be even MORE desperate!" The trick though, is that in this scenario, asking for help will be more beneficial than taking their items. The idea here is to give players more power than their items.

I think that if this kind of change were to be made, it should all be unleashed in one big update...And everyone and everything gets wiped. Force everyone to live in fear and hopelessness again.

• Like 3

fuck all of the shit you just said. I'm never gonna team up with some theater kid who'll probably end up killing me. making the mod harder by making the already broken zombie mechanics worse isnt gonna solve anything. you aren't going to get rid of the pvp in this mod so stop trying to

I like this idea. The cynic in me says that making the world harsher, and requiring new items like rubbing alcohol, will push bandits more toward killing you to take your stuff. The harder it is to survive, the easier it is to decide you'll kill someone to stay alive.

Requiring teamwork isn't the same as preventing douchebaggery. It just means you'll get killed by three bandits instead of one. Tons of people play in groups, which is great because they know someone has their back. But if you wander up to them, they'll still shoot you because you are still a threat, whether or not they have rubbing alcohol.

Still, nice input. I personally think shifting the focus back on zombies is the way to eliminate all of the hate. I totally agree re: appearing in the woods. The game got a lot less terrifying when I realized I could hide in the hills until I got hungry.

• Like 10

I like this idea. The cynic in me says that making the world harsher' date=' and requiring new items like rubbing alcohol, will push bandits more toward killing you to take your stuff. The harder it is to survive, the easier it is to decide you'll kill someone to stay alive.

Requiring teamwork isn't the same as preventing douchebaggery. It just means you'll get killed by three bandits instead of one. Tons of people play in groups, which is great because they know someone has their back. But if you wander up to them, they'll still shoot you because you are still a threat, whether or not they have rubbing alcohol.

Still, nice input. I personally think shifting the focus back on zombies is the way to eliminate all of the hate. I totally agree re: appearing in the woods. The game got a lot less terrifying when I realized I could hide in the hills until I got hungry.

[/quote']

I outlined this a bit in the OP, but what we need to do to prevent the lone wolves from killing one another is to make PLAYERS more powerful than their ITEMS. Make it so you can only do so much for yourself, and you must rely on other's actions to help you survive. The body heat and setting/splinting ideas are a start to that.

• Like 8

Release hacks to everyone.

Instant hell.

• Like 5

I think we need to eat too often as it is. Who ever heard of starving to death 8 hours or less after eating a can of beans? But I generally approve of most of your points.

• Like 3

I think we need to eat too often as it is. Who ever heard of starving to death 8 hours or less after eating a can of beans? But I generally approve of most of your points.

Obviously some tweaks would need to be made to the current food/water system, as well as some others. This is not something to just be tacked on...This is a complete overhaul of what we know so far.

• Like 2

I think we can all agree that there is simply too much murder right now. There's no incentive not to kill. We've tried bandit skins' date=' getting rid of global chat...All of these are very gamey solutions. And none of them have worked.

Here's what I'm proposing, Rocket and team. Rather than come up with some mechanic to help out one side or the other, or do some kind of balancing act...Do something different. The reason we don't work together is because we can survive alone. The reason we shoot on sight is because we have nothing to gain from teaming up.

So let's set the world on fire. Let's watch it burn. Let us feel fear; That same fear we all felt when our boots first landed on the shores of Chernarus.

Let's Make DayZ a Living Nightmare.

-----------

You already start with next to nothing. Good. That sets the table. Canned Food is scarce. Canteens are as precious as gold.Weapons are a luxury, and ammo doesn't last long. Finding the tools you need to start a fire and cook a meal? Good luck. And if you don't find food or water, both of which are incredibly scarce? Enjoy dehydration, or starvation. You won't just die from some ticking blood bar. Your vision will blur, you'll be tortured by the sounds of your stomach aching for food. You'll barely be able to keep crawling forward. You'll pass out from exhaustion, and die curled up on the ground, without so much as a whimper.

The Zeds are more numerous. They prowl the streets of cities in packs, and must be avoided if you hope to survive. The Zombies have begun to migrate to forests, and herds of them roam the countryside. Nowhere is safe from the infected, and their numbers continue to grow. Areas that have been densely populated with infected for a long period of time are now more difficult to breathe in. Death stinks the air, and if you spend too much time there, you might get sick. You'll cough if you don't have a surgical mask, or at least a scarf to wrap around your nose and mouth.

And what of your injuries? That scratch could get infected if left untreated. You'll need sterilization materials, such as rubbing alcohol or peroxide. That last bout with the Infected didn't break your leg, but you sure as hell can't run on it. Maybe you got lucky and it hit your arm instead. Can't use your primary with only one good arm. Morphine isn't going to heal those broken bones of yours...Only give you the ability to walk on it for a period of time. And if you keep using Morphine? Well, you'll become addicted. Then you'll need it if you don't want the shakes, hallucinations, and sickness.

The environment is unforgiving and harsh. The coast is plagued with deep fogs, and ripping coastal winds that chill you to the bone. If you manage to make it off the coast, beware the sun. Running too long in the sun can cause heat stroke and exhaustion. If you take refuge in the mountains, be prepared for a drop in temperature, and cold wet nights. Further north, expect cloudy skies and torrential rain which chills you if left unchecked.

You're only one human being against a world that is designed to kill you. So how do you survive?

You MUST cooperate.

Maybe that scarce can of beans, or that canteen of water, can satiate 2 people rather than one. Maybe a pair of eyes covering your six increases your chances of survival when scavenging in an infested city. Maybe when you can't walk on your leg, a friend could take you on their shoulder so you can walk again. Maybe someone could set and splint that broken leg of yours. Maybe someone can bring that fever down by tending to you while you're sick and unable to take care of yourself. Maybe being within close proximity to others makes you share body heat when the temperature drops. Maybe that other person has the matches, and you've got the hatchet.

Maybe, when the world is a living hell...Other people are your only hope to survive.

It's just a thought...But I think it's the only way to keep DayZ from becoming Deathmatch + Zombies.

[/quote']

Sweet! Survivors come in pairs now! And so do bandits!

• Like 4

Sweet! Survivors come in pairs now! And so do bandits!

And when Rocket introduces more fortification-building mechanics, settling an area will drastically increase survival chances in this new, harsher DayZ. Forming bigger groups will benefit you on supply runs. Having more people to contribute to the food and medical supplies pool will help your group survive longer. Chances of finding a vehicle go up with more people looking.

It's a natural progression.

• Like 10

I'm not so sure it would change anything really, it would only provide an even greater incentive for others to kill you, I mean if food / supplies are even more scarce than they are now then there is no way anyone would share, let alone medical supplies.

I'm part of a number of gaming communities, one community I am involved with had many months of people whinging on the forums (much like here), that the game is too easy, not "extreme" enough and so on.

So eventually the devs listened, changed the entire game mechanics, implemented new difficulty benchmarks, and gave the playerbase what all those on the forums had been asking for all along.

And you know what has happened ? - many people don't play anymore, and those that do, spend a lot of time on the forums now, whinging that the game is "too hard" . . . . .

It has basically killed the playerbase, and all because of listening to the forum folk.

I only hope that rocket sticks to his guns, and follows his own vision with this, please don't make kneejerk changes to the game especially major ones in response to forum posts.

On average in any game, the forum community makes up about %5 of the playerbase, so it's a case of the %5 speaking for the other %95 that are not active on forums.

And that %95 are the ones who determine the success or failure of a game, while the %5 are pushing for changes that perhaps the %95 do not want or will not like.

• Like 8

All i can say is, no matter how big the group. I will still sniper you from 800 meters with my L85 thermal. and when zeds come, I will lay down the law with my saw.

BANDIT TILL THE BITTER END

• Like 1

it's a shame you put all that effort into that large and well-stated OP because the bottom line is this:

as long as players can shoot each other, they will.

and this is a very good thing. i have been attempting to stress in several posts now that static, AI-driven NPC code will never, ever, ever approach the uncertainty and excitement of dealing with a player whose intentions are unknowable.

no matter how much crap you try to pile up to increase difficulty, it will eventually be figured out and distilled down to something easily overcome. the only way to have a constant supply of fresh experiences is through potentially hostile player interaction.

• Like 4

This is a really great insight into making the game more about the right kind of survival. Survival from the world - not from the other players.

Thanks for taking the time to write this up!

Yeah, I'm sorry but this would just make pack hunting more inviting to me and my bandito friends. And hey - instead of one body to loot, we get at least two!

I think we can all agree that there is simply too much murder right now.

I don't agree.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure it would change anything really' date=' it would only provide an even greater incentive for others to kill you, I mean if food / supplies are even more scarce than they are now then there is no way anyone would share, let alone medical supplies. [/quote']

I don't think so, somehow. Especially if ammo was even more scarce than it currently is.

If you can share, just avoid the bloodshed and ask for some help. People underestimate how valuable another player can be. All they see are the beans. I tried to outline this a bit in the OP, but there are mechanics in there that give players more power than their items...Where an alive player is more valuable than his items.

I only hope that rocket sticks to his guns, and follows his own vision with this, please don't make kneejerk changes to the game especially major ones in response to forum posts.

Same, but this is the time when he should be trying drastic and interesting stuff like this. This is Alpha; the time for features and fun.

• Like 8

it doesn't matter the game. Players want to kill shit. Heck EVEN IN Amnesia the dark decent, a game where you can't kill. People found how to Glitch the monsters with objects and make them fall of cliffs.

• Like 3

I think the OP has some solid ideas. You would probably need to make zombies slow (given current zombie bugginess I wouldnt be suprised if making them slow isnt goign to end up as a requirement) and very populous around loot areas though. You would NEED to clear zombies to get loots and doing that alone would be risky, having the loot not halved would also help (ie the can of food for both players). Other stuff like splints would help.

I say wait for the radio system first and see what happens.

Ahh Alpha.

• Like 2

It already is a hell, you get killed by EVERYTHING except maybe people you know.

Which is EXACTLY the point of the mod.

If I wanted to kill zombies all day I would be playing dead rising and even there you have to deal with psychopaths.

What would get people to work together is to put stuff in the game that is better than things you can get solo, or things to gain that need to be defended in a group.

Punishing lone wolf play is a terrible idea and luckily will never be considered by rocket.

There is a problem with this.

If you introduce a game mechanic which brute forces the existing PVP mechanic entirely out of the game, you have irreperably altered the foundation of this mod. PVP is a PRINCIPAL part of the very experiment we are testing here. What you are suggesting is to turn the ship about and take an entirely different direction.

If the devs were to take in interest who am I to argue (and I expect they won't) but let's be very clear, taking your approach would be tantamount to abandoning this "experiment" we are curently undertaking.

What you suggest, CO-OP play ON A MASSIVE SCALE, well let's face it, that is simply not DayZ, as it has been envisioned and designed by the devs. I would love to play through your idea sometime, but it would never be DayZ.

• Like 4

What you suggest' date=' CO-OP play ON A MASSIVE SCALE, well let's face it, that is simply not DayZ, as it has been envisioned and designed by the devs. I would love to play through your idea sometime, but it would never be DayZ.

[/quote']

If PermaDeathmatch + Some Zombies is exactly what Rocket wants this experiment to be about, then by all means let that continue. I haven't seen the evidence to support that this is his vision, though.

And I'm not looking to get rid of PvP. That will never happen, as some have said. I just want to get rid of EVERY encounter being one where people start shooting at one another. I haven't heard a story of cooperation in a long time.

• Like 4