Sign in to follow this  
iisilentjokerii

milky way at night?

i thought it would be cool if they would add the milky way when it turns dark. also this could give more light to the night also. i thought it was cool because the milky way is very beautiful in real life and what if they added it to dayz it would also be a very cool and beautiful thing to see while running at night looking for loot and killing people and zombies. i personally wont ever get bored of seeing the milky way while running through the woods or plains in dayz. what are your thoughts on my suggestion?

• Like 8

Even though its hard to see now i believe? It would still be a cool feature just cause it looks amazing and would encourage more people to play a night (kind of). Just cause its a zombie survival doesnt mean you cant "bend some realism" in the game.

I always thought the nights in Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl where great. it was dark and you could see the milky way. But never too dark. Just the right level of "that-nice-feeling-when-you-sit-next-to-a-campfire". You know what I mean...

So, yeah, I want the Milky Way in the game!

I always thought the nights in Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl where great. it was dark and you could see the milky way. But never too dark. Just the right level of "that-nice-feeling-when-you-sit-next-to-a-campfire". You know what I mean...

So, yeah, I want the Milky Way in the game!

yea that was what i was thinking to

• Like 1

Even though its hard to see now i believe? It would still be a cool feature just cause it looks amazing and would encourage more people to play a night (kind of). Just cause its a zombie survival doesnt mean you cant "bend some realism" in the game.

its only hard to see in real life because of all the light pollution. but in dayz there barely isnt any light, so i think it would be more clear to see if they put the milky way in the game

• Like 1

its a nice idea - no electric no light  from many towns and villages at night.    normal you can see than easy the galaxy

• Like 1

I like the milky way but I don't think a game can mke same effect of billions of star in spiral galaxy arm what is sideways for us to see because photon of light on retina is better resolution than 1080p and this make milky looking beautiful but I hope they try something who know maybe they manage the miracle

also this could give more light to the night also.

I think the night are perfect as it is, try play when there is full moon and you don't need the flashlight....or turn your gamma/brightness up if it's to dark for you..I personally turn my gamma settings down...

its only hard to see in real life because of all the light pollution. but in dayz there barely isnt any light, so i think it would be more clear to see if they put the milky way in the game

I dont' know where you live but I have never seen the milky way at nightime ever in real life(in areas with zero light pollution on a place called planet earth), I see the sky just like it's in the game right now, just stars...

I never understood the whining about the night being to dark, use flares, flashlights or that gas driven lightning and the world gets quite illuminated....Or if that isn't god enough, turn on your night vision googles(gamma) if you think being able to see everyhting in the dark at clouded days is more realistic to you...

If only the night servers had been more populated I would play nightime 70% of the time, the night is what makes this game intresting, more creepy and a little more challenging. I am bored to death running around 24/7 daylight all the time(I am forced to it right now because nightime servers useallly just have max 10 players if im lucky, useally just 3-4)!!

It's like when on a full server if the sun starts slighly suggesting going down and it gets a tiny bit darker you can bet before it reaches the horizon the server will be emptied, fucking hate that...

It's a survival game folks and nightime should be a part of it, come join me in the darkness pussies and stop being such KOS daytime 24/7 whimps!!

Edited by Kaboki

Looks like there are two parties. One wishing for "a brighter night" and the other one calling the night we have "perfect".

I for myself always think about how unrealistic the night in Arma/DayZ looks everytime I play at night. In real life I life in an area with very low population and if you go out at night you can always see pretty good. So it is just unrealistic to have such dark nights like in DayZ.

And the Milky Way: it can be seen on a clear night. Sure, not as clear as in Stalker or other games, but if you have a little bit of knowledge of stars and stuff, you CAN see it. At least I can from where I life...sure, you might not see it from your skyscraper in New York, but if you life in th countryside like me, you actualy can!

TL;DR: The way I see it, nights in Arma/DayZ are unrealistcly dark!

Edited by Odrakis

Looks like there are two parties. One wishing for "a brighter night" and the other one calling the night we have "perfect".

Yep and I belong to the 'just perfect party'..

I for myself always think about how unrealistic the night in Arma/DayZ looks everytime I play at night. In real life I life in an area with very low population and if you go out at night you can always see pretty good. So it is just unrealistic to have such dark nights like in DayZ.

Maybe the difference might be our monitors, I have to turn down gamma settings to not be able to see anything, play with your monitor settings and gamma settings and adjust to your liking. But I disagree that in nights you should be able to see everything unless the sky is clear and with moonlight. Im an outdoors man and often go camping in a tent in the middle of freaking nowhere, and if I could get a dollar from all the times I have stumbled over the tent ropes at night when going to take a piss I would be rich by now. On nights with clear weather I would have seen them, just as it is in Dayz now, so for me it's perfect. So I beg the devs to not give us magic night vision googles that all other games seem to have...

And the Milky Way: it can be seen on a clear night. Sure, not as clear as in Stalker or other games, but if you have a little bit of knowledge of stars and stuff, you CAN see it. At least I can from where I life...sure, you might not see it from your skyscraper in New York, but if you life in th countryside like me, you actualy can!

I live north of the polar circle so It may be different up here than the rest of the world, Im just speaking of my own expirience and I may be wrong for other parts of the world. I have never seen the milky way like in those fancy pictures that 's probably taken using a special tecnique to cath the "fog" , all I see is stars and unless I know where it's located I can't differ it from all the other stars...in short, up here the milky way just look like any other cluster of stars out there....Dayz atleast give me the same night sky as Im used too:)

cath the

I disagree lol, I think Arma engines are the best engines out there when it comes to display the night correctly

Edited by Kaboki

But.. but, can't you only see the milky way, when there's no light pollution darkness?

When Earth's shadow side is at it's darkest, when there's no light pollution and no moon light to drown out the million specks on the night sky. The only starlight you can actually use is called sun light and nights are defined by the very absence of the sun. Other stars shine a lot weaker, mostly because they are so far away.

The sun's light takes 8.20 minutes to reach Earth.

The next closest star's light is 2,207,520 minutes away.

To utilize star light at night to see, you really need a night vision device, that enhances star light about 15,000-30,000 times.

Edited by Dallas

But.. but, can't you only see the milky way, when there's no light pollution darkness?

When Earth's shadow side is at it's darkest, when there's no light pollution and no moon light to drown out the million specks on the night sky. The only starlight you can actually use is called sun light and nights are defined by the very absence of the sun. Other stars shine a lot weaker, mostly because they are so far away.

The sun's light takes 8.20 minutes to reach Earth.

The next closest star's light is 2,207,520 minutes away.

To utilize star light at night to see, you really need a night vision device, that enhances star light about 15,000-30,000 times.

And all this fancy tecnical way of saying things you mean that we actually can't see the milky way like in pictures with just our eyes at night without some advanced equipment, am I correct? :P

If so I totally agree 'dude', hahahaha. Thanks for giving the 'we want milky way bunch' the tecnical version of, NO YOU CAN'T SEE IT :D

http://www.youcanseethemilkyway.com/#how-to-see-the-milky-way

EDIT: Looks like I was wrong,,,,but you have to time it right and the right conditions have to be met....so it's not an everyday evening event...it's rare...so If Dayz could recreate these rare occasions that we would be able to see it then Im all in, if not then just forget about it.

Quote " The best viewing site would be from the middle of the ocean either northern hemisphere or southern hemisphere being"

I live far on the northern hemispere(north of the polar circle) so I should encounter this phenomen more often than those nearer to equator, but I have to say I have never, ever seen it, even in rural areas with zero light pollution in wintertime(should be the best time to spot it) and even when on the ocean(im a fisherman so I am often out at the sea at night) in my 30 years of living on this planet... So it's rare, and seing it every night in dayz would be very unrealistic, it's more realistic the way it currently is.....

Edited by Kaboki

The second closest star, is                  3,973,506,904,839 kilometers away.

Average distance between Earth and sun is 150,000,000 kilometers.

So if the moon isn't present on the night sky to reflect sun light, the dark side of Earth is just black.

Edited by Dallas

..//..

I live far on the northern hemispere(north of the polar circle) so I should encounter this phenomen more often than those nearer to equator, but I have to say I have never, ever seen it, even in rural areas with zero light pollution in wintertime(should be the best time to spot it) and even when on the ocean(im a fisherman so I am often out at the sea at night) in my 30 years of living on this planet... So it's rare, and seing it every night in dayz would be very unrealistic, it's more realistic the way it currently is..

..//..

I've seen the Milky Way many-many-many nights very clearly in the Sahara

no moisture, so no clouds

no light pollution

ya can see millions of stars.. just truthfully millions, dude

and the Milky Way like a diagonal band of even more stars, across the sky

ya can't mistake it

Everyone should see that at least once in their life

the Milky Way is our galaxy - it's where we live

it's a damned impressive place we've got here, for sure

Edited by pilgrim

I've seen the Milky Way many-many-many nights very clearly in the Sahara

no moisture, so no clouds

no light pollution

ya can see millions of stars.. just truthfully millions, dude

and the Milky Way like a diagonal band of even more stars, across the sky

ya can't mistake it

Everyone should see that at least once in their life

the Milky Way is our galaxy - it's where we live

it's a damned impressive place we've got here, for sure

Yeah, I can also 'see it' because our solar system is inside it, so most stars i see on the sky are probably from the milky way, but do you see it as in the pictures in the link I posted, with the characteristic 'fog'??? You can 'see it' already in dayz because all the stars are there, but not like in the fancy pictures of it, that is a rare event to see with the naked eye...

Even the fact that we can 'navigate' by the stars in dayz I find it very impressive and it looks very close to what I see at night far up here on the almost 'north pole' where i live..

Edited by Kaboki
  • Like 1

Yeah, I can also 'see it' because our solar system is inside it, so most stars i see on the sky are probably from the milky way, but do you see it as in the pictures in the link I posted, with the characteristic 'fog'??? You can 'see it' already in dayz because all the stars are there, but not like in the fancy pictures of it, that is a rare event to see with the naked eye...

yes.. I've seen it. I've spent hours lying on my back at night in a stone desert looking at it, watching the earth turn, with not another living creature, and not an insect or a blade of grass in 100 miles. Only burned rock and the night sky full of stars, and the milky way across it. Definitely seen it.

when you look towards the core of our galaxy you're looking in the direction of at least 100,000,000,000 (100 billion) stars. Most of them are too faint to see, but on a clear night - and in the Sahara central desert that's every night - what you can see is many-many-many-uncountable stars. It just makes you pause and think, ya know. This is a hell of a place we live in.

I was located between AinSala and Tamanrasset for a time. North of Ain Sala is the Tadmait plateau. Nothing there. You can find those places on Google Earth. But also you can get good views of the Milky Way from other places, with the right conditions. The less atmospheric moisture the better, and far from light sources. In Europe you can often see it well enough to know where it is, sometimes clearly. It's a good and beautiful thing to have in the game.

Edited by pilgrim

Disclaimer: Warning kids, before you read further, don't do drugs.....

You lucky son of a b..... :D , I may have to take a holiday sometime to Sahara because I have always wanted to see the milky way like that. I have seen it actually a few times, but that was after eating an heroic dose of 'magic mushrooms' and I didn't only 'see it', I flyed right into it and eventually I ceased to exist and I became a frikking part of it!! B) , but that's just a very different expirience from what you have seen, hahaha. I would love to expirience it sober and actually seing it with my eyes from the ground :)

Edited by Kaboki
  • Like 1

Live in a Very Rural area And Definitely Have a Far Brighter Sky than DayZ Does

1+

Edited by NokyoOkami

To see the milky way, I think it depends where you live.

I'm from France and there it is possible to see it in the countrtside but only in clear summer's night (around june or july). I think it is impossible without a telescope during another season.

Btw, in the last week status report, Chris is talking about it : "This week, I'm taking a look at our skybox and lighting settings to see if there is opportunity to improve the experience visually - particularly at dawn/dusk and night.  I'm hoping that we will find a way to add the milky way spiral arm visible in the night sky to our game."

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/213655-status-report-week-of-20-oct-14/

I just want to say i spend alot of time trekking in the woods, in Denmark, and when you are inside a forest at night, you cant see 10cm in front of you, without a light source :)

The only time you will be able to see anything if if we are close to a full moon or have a full moon.

If its just abit coudy, its dark as hell, even when you walk around open fields.

Go to a place where theres no "light polution" and you will notice its really really dark. If the moon doesnt show clearly, its almost impossible to see just a few meters in front of you.

Dont get me wrong, i would like abit brighter nights, but if we are talking realism and authenticity, DayZ and Arma, in general, is quite close to how night time looks in real life.

As far as the whole milky way goes, all i want is realistic stars, placed like they are in real life, so we can navigate with them.

I want real life constellations in the game, to be able to find the stars i need to find, to navigate without a compas or map.

Exactly like we had in Arma II :)

Edited by Byrgesen