Sign in to follow this  
gannon46

game doesn't feel like anything bad happened in chenarus

first off lets get this out of the way alpha alpha alpha alpha ok lets move on. i understand that atmosphere will probably be last but does anyone else fell like an insurgent more than a survivor i feel no connection to the map or the events that took place. I'm not wanting a story line or a back story i just want it to feel like something happened. i want to walk in the hospitals and see fucked up shit i want it to look like there was extreme panic as of now it looks like they called a moving company and just moved out of chenarus and left nothing put piss stained couches. the world is to clean and tidy. so do you think they'll ever get around to making it more panic ridden like the world has actually been wrought by flesh eating ghouls because if they keep it nice and tidy i don't think anyone including me will ever get a level of immersion we want nor the feeling of adventure. i mean how cool would it be to walk into a home and when you open the door  a head rolls out and your toon pukes soon after zeds come shuffling out of the front door chewing on a hand or intestines. and as for hospitals we should have to have somekind of mask to go in that place with out getting sick/infected and our toon should vomit at the smell or atleast recoil in horror but no you go in there some shelves some smeared blood not enough I'm sorry if this is all we get is some red paint here and there and a few mass graves then I'm gonna be very disappointed. so again you think they will implement this kinda stuff over time or at the end or not at all.other than that no complaints really i know most folks want guns guns guns or hacking fixed yes those need to be a priority yes but so does atmosphere to me its as important as a gun or a piece of clothing if not more important folks need to feel like they've logged into hell on earth just the sight of what happened makes them feel panic and a feeling of dread.

ive seen loads of topics about this exact subject now, and every time i reply that i think the map looks good, i dont want to see it changed too much from what it is already, what do people expect to see here?

map looks desolate, and not over the top, so far, its good, im sure some things will progress too, but i like the understated look.

Hahaha dude they they all got a sugar high and went on a blood thirsty rampage through town. And by blood thirsty i mean cannibalizing anything sweet they could get a hold of. XD

Thats why everything is so clean man!

ive seen loads of topics about this exact subject now, and every time i reply that i think the map looks good, i dont want to see it changed too much from what it is already, what do people expect to see here?

map looks desolate, and not over the top, so far, its good, im sure some things will progress too, but i like the understated look.

But there is NO dread or real signs of a struggle in allot of areas. Again the world is to clean cut and past atm for any kind of survival apocalypse. I mean unless its a happy childrens super fun Barney apocalypse but even than idk man. There would be stuffing EVERYWHERE!

its like it was a met epidemic they all got hopped up and cleaned everything. the map feels dead to me some of the new towns have good atmosphere but all in all i don't believe that anyone lived out there daily lives in chenarus it feels like we were shipped here and then they released zombies on us, fells like a zombie version of running man except without the cheesy jumpsuits

The cities FPS are already horrid, adding more apocalyptic objects isn't gonna help that FPS. xD

There is an abandoned feel to the map.  I get what you are saying, but I think aesthetic changes to the components will be a late addition.  It just isn't important at this juncture.

Dean Hall recently mentioned the completion of the "graveyard set" of items to be added to the map for that apocalypse feel.  Presumably they weren't happy with the items from arma, so they've made a whole slew of new junk items.  I presume that since it is now done, that SenChi is plopping them around now. 

Watch out for that SenChi guy, he is really really good with adding stuff to the maps. 

Edit:  Here's the quote from the dev tumblr.

Environment

The team would like to focus now on some signature objects to spice up the vast environment and make the new explorable areas more unique.  We’ve just finished a new office building and will start an ornate municipal building which will serve as a land mark in a new large city being constructed by the map design team.  This city, called Novodmitrovsk, will have an industrial zone and is very close in size to Cherno or Electro but located in the north of our terrain.  We’ve also created a ‘graveyard set’ of various objects so the map designers can enhance the gloomy atmosphere.

Edited by klesh

Saw a couple of car crash setups in the new city up north with smashed glass and shit on the road, looks good. But yeah some more stuff like this would add to the atmosphere of the map.

Dean Hall recently mentioned the completion of the "graveyard set" of items to be added to the map for that apocalypse feel.  Presumably they weren't happy with the items from arma, so they've made a whole slew of new junk items.  I presume that since it is now done, that SenChi is plopping them around now. 

Watch out for that SenChi guy, he is really really good with adding stuff to the maps. 

Edit:  Here's the quote from the dev tumblr.

By that i thought you meant he was going to randomly pop up on different servers teleport to our asses and karate chop us to death...... XD

Yes it definitely needs more "apocalypse" style added. Check points, medical tents, mass graves, executions, abandoned cars stuck in a traffic jam, underground research facility where the outbreak started, abandoned cars, cars with skeletons in them, zombies chewing on things, people hung from the neck from trees or churches, signs to go with the apocalypse from official "QUARANTINE ZONE" to civilian "ur a fagit"

• Like 1

One of the reasons theres not a whole lot of blood and gore around, is because they want the blood and gore on the map to be player created.

Basicly they want you to walk into a house, see tons and tons of blood and go "ohh someone died here recently", so the blood and gore actually have an impact on gameplay.

I realize you are talking about much more then blood and gore, but i feel like it needed to be said :)

Heres a quote from one of the early devblogs from last year:

One caveat I forgot last time, the interiors do look very clean. Adding gore or deterioration can quickly be overdone, so we feel our first task is to create the interiors and ensure we are happy with the gameplay and quality of the basic texture work - then we will go through to add elements more authentic to the situation.  Overall, we believe the experience should have a style more akin to “The Road” rather than gore for gore’s sake.  When you find gore in DayZ, it will mean something and have impact. In fact, it will be most likely due to tragedy or betrayal involving a human player. This way, we believe what happens in the world matters, instead of simply adding some crashed buses and blood everywhere.

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/post/33906503689/work-in-progress-interiors-continued-i-was-a

Tip of the day, break your posts down into point form or paragraphs, makes for happy campers.

Anyone remember the piles of corpses you'd come across in the mod?

Or the creepy music that constantly kept you on edge...

I have confidence the devs team will really spice up the ambiance in the nearish future...

Anyone remember the piles of corpses you'd come across in the mod?

Or the creepy music that constantly kept you on edge...

I constantly find my self missing the music and going to the old spot east of cherno, where one of the the body piles used to be lol :)

It'd be cool to see medical camps with piles of bodies, overrun military outposts, roadblocks, random dead people (they wouldn't have to have any items, maybe just simple clothes) and stuff that adds to the story dayz tells.

It'd be cool to see medical camps with piles of bodies, overrun military outposts, roadblocks, random dead people (they wouldn't have to have any items, maybe just simple clothes) and stuff that adds to the story dayz tells.

I think we have enought mass graves in the game. Thankfully they are (realistycally) placed not on sight.

Many people just don't realize how many mass graves there is, many people don't even know about mass grave on NWAF.

The map is progressing awesomely, but I agree, they need to add more burnt out cars, buildings, mass graves like in the mod.

This is definitely a polish phase thing. We are already seeing some of the overturned humvees and blood splatters on the walls. I know you said alpha but these sorts of things are definitely usually banged out further on in development.