Sign in to follow this  
Ugly (DayZ)

What do I do with stones? aka How do I make a fireplace?

How do I make a fireplace using stones? I have a pile of 7 stones in front of me. What do I do with them?

I need to craft a fire place kit using sticks and rags. and then place rocks onto that.

Yours,

Furiously defending this house I'm in with these rocks.

Edited by Ugly

First you need to make fireplace kit with rag and a twig. Then you put stones into it (you also will need bigger twigs from cutted trees or if you don't ahve axe to cut down tree you will need to find it in barns for exemple).

And you need matches.

You can apparently mine stones from some rock formations with a pickaxe. 

The rocks don't do anything yet, so you don't need them for a fireplace kit yet.

• Like 3

First you need to make fireplace kit with rag and a twig. Then you put stones into it (you also will need bigger twigs from cutted trees or if you don't ahve axe to cut down tree you will need to find it in barns for exemple).

Im just quoting to say: I FUCKIGN LOVE YOUR SIG!!!! haha

1. Use stick + (rag or bandage) = fireplace kit.
  2. Place wood in fireplace kit.
  3. Place matches in hand.
  4. Choose "ignite" option and light your fireplace.

Stop playing with your stones or you'll go blind, they're not needed.

The rocks don't do anything yet, so you don't need them for a fireplace kit yet.

I can second that - yesterday I made a fireplace out of rags and a bundle of twigs, plus a log, and no stones. The matches ignited it just fine and it burned for a few minutes at least (I bugged out once I had warmed up, so I don't know how long it lasted). As I understand it you cook food by putting it in the fireplace's slots.

What would be great is if the game had an isotope testing kit, so you could identify fissionable rocks. Then all you'd have to do is refine sufficient fissionable material (using a bucket and some of the rope, and some alcoholic tincture - just whirl it around your head) and then by assembling some of this into a motorcycle helmet with some .22 ammo as a trigger you could construct a portable nuclear fission bomb. Obviously you'd need some kind of timer. It'd be ace.

Edited by AshleyP

Currently, the best use for the stone is to sharpen badly damaged blades back to damaged status. You'll generally have to do this after every use but in this way you can maintain a blade indefinitely. With gear being somewhat more precious in experimental 0.50 I find myself carrying a stone all the time.

Does the fire cure hypothermia ?? or is it game over once hypothermia hits....

I logged out and i was cold, logged in last night and all of a sudden - freezing - hypothermic = in a matter of mins... in full gorka gear - nothing ruined... i dont get it..

• Like 1

We need to be able to drop them off of rooftops on to zombies' heads.

Does the fire cure hypothermia ?? or is it game over once hypothermia hits....

I logged out and i was cold, logged in last night and all of a sudden - freezing - hypothermic = in a matter of mins... in full gorka gear - nothing ruined... i dont get it..

It certainly warms you up. I find that when my gear is in bad condition especially I have to stop and light a fire every 10 minutes or so to get out of the red text complaining about me being cold. Fire kits are easy to do if you have an ax and matches. However once I get pristine gear and energized again I find I'm able to stay warm without needing to have a fire every so often.

Maybe someone else can answer this - do/should portable gas stoves provide warmth? I've tried that and it doesn't seem to do much.

• Like 2

The rocks sharpen axes up to worn condition, or so I've been told.

Axes and machete's although its only from badly damaged to damaged (unless that has changed since the hot fix for .49??) i havent tried to sharpen a knife with them yet has anyone done this ? does it work on knives also..

Axes and machete's although its only from badly damaged to damaged (unless that has changed since the hot fix for .49??) i havent tried to sharpen a knife with them yet has anyone done this ? does it work on knives also..

knives cant be sharpen with stones, but I think they will have to rethink the current "ruined" system. Lets face it, even a blunt axe will take your head off

• Like 1

I tried for a very long tme to get stones and logs at the same time to make a fireplace. Never got to do it :( Then I tried lighting the fire with just a fireplace kit, a log and my matches and felt like a real tool when it worked.

Its a bit silly needing logs to start a fire, in other words no axe no fire.

Yep. You should be able to light a twigs-and-paper fire, and it should probably be able to heat you up a little, though perhaps not cook food. Given that you can warm yourself very effectively with a tiny little gas burner, it doesn't seem right.

you don't NEED stones in your fireplace to cook food but it seemed to me like the meat cooked quite a bit faster with the stones added B)

Its a bit silly needing logs to start a fire, in other words no axe no fire.

I believe u can search for sticks on the ground and use those...not 100% sure!

That said...its not about starting a fire, its about starting a fire that gives off enough heat. And that is kinda hard to achieve with small sticks. So in fairness it is realistic that if u want a fire that dries ur clothes and warms u up, u need logs burning. Burning sticks isnt gonna do much good when ur cold and wet.

Edited by svisketyggeren

Are you sure about this? I'm fairly certain you need them to cook meat. Though you don't need a stone just to make a fire to get warm by.

I believe u can search for sticks on the ground and use those...not 100% sure!

That said...its not about starting a fire, its about starting a fire that gives off enough heat. And that is kinda hard to achieve with small sticks. So in fairness it is realistic that if u want a fire that dries ur clothes and warms u up, u need logs burning. Burning sticks isnt gonna do much good when ur cold and wet.

I tried sticks, doesnt work. I agree with you, but just like twigs and sticks, woods are full of broken logs as well, maybe its something that will change in future. Also you can find stones in barns and even bedrooms, but none outside.

Are you sure about this? I'm fairly certain you need them to cook meat. Though you don't need a stone just to make a fire to get warm by.

I cook meat on fires all the time without the use of stones although you have to be carefull and quick because they will go from cooked to burnt in seconds. Perhaps some one can confirm that if by using rocks it slows the final stages of cooking allowing you to easily cook all your meat without burning some??

Yes i'm sure. I do it all the time.

I'm sure you're suppose to add stones to be able to cook but that isn't how it works yet. just combine rags/piece of paper and sticks, add a log, ignite and put the meat on.

Edited by Chompster