agentneo

Possible Server crash with Large gatherings

Hi I just wanted to raise a discussion about server crashing that has happened to our group twice now, when about 10-20 people all came together to meet on one server and put a few items on the ground etc. The server stopped responding. On the first occasion it was a random server we joined and it crashed after lots of people gathered in one room. The second time was on Saturday and I attended so saw it all.

Basically everyone met up at a castle with lots of gears, only about 4 items were placed on ground, about 10 people in this one room and a few outside, then everyones went non-responsive, So i exited, and now the server says not responding when I try to join a friends list. And it dissapears from server list. We even contacted a server admin before, and he restarted his server for us right before the event, so sure it wasnt a restart...

Has anyone else had problems meeting up or server crashes with lots of people in one area?

I really think this needs testing in experimental or in their office if they can test this: Gather 20 people or so , all with full inventorys, and see if the game is still stable. Because i know 40/40 experimental servers have been fairly ok,. apart from rubber banding. But have they tested so many people in one room as its potential issues in the future

any advice from anyone please say to me. I have seen another group called 'day z flash mob' that met massive crowd in one room to dance, but thing is i think a lot of them had no inventory, we all had backpacks, vests, some people had yellow boxes and ammo boxes. Must be a lot of info for the server to handle? In future we will have to limit this somehow and not all meet in one room or throw things on the floor, but it seems like potential problem here

Edited by AgentNe0

We had that over the weekend, we had a planned clan war on our standalone server with 35+ participants, and within 30 minutes of beginning the server shat itself and had to be manually restarted. All participants were within a 1 kilometre radius, all shooting and moving, obviously the servers aren't ready for such high volume traffic but they will get better. Here's a link to the said clan war crash - http://youtu.be/jtRb7cTwRbU

• Like 1

we played last week with 9 ppl. i know what u mean after we spread our loots all over the floor the server starts heavy rubberbanding.

and now imaging these scripting kiddis that collect tons of gear on one place over miles from other players...

... think about it...

• Like 1

thanks guys. And yes some further testing is needed. Now a while ago i heard mentioned the dev's try to come up with a solution where the players don't constantly 'spam' inventory messages about what they have to one another. Did this happen yet? I assume no but are working on it.?

I think this is problem, too much messages within an area.

The yellow cases seem particularly bad for this, as i remember some time ago I literally couldn't carry a yellow storage box or my character would constantly teleport.

Also, these servers are expensive from what i've seen £70 a month compared to half of that price for Arma 2/3 servers, so I thought they would be kind of geared up for this type of stress, but it seems Standalone has an issue with this big gatherings, (well not that big in our case only 10-15 people) as I never seen this happen in Arma 2/ 3 and we had all kinds of crazy events inDay Z Epoch like Race days and big chases in many vechicles.

We are only on 40 people so imagine 100 people . which apparantly has been tested in experimental but you probably haven't tested 100 or even 50 people in one room, all with inventories. So some testing needed probably in their office or something just be aware and if any other large groups can advise please do.

Please disable friendly fire from some experimental servers to test this or do some internal testing at Bohemia Interactive. This is a still an issue and is been ignored as far as I know. In future larger servers and events with many people in one area crashes will be occuring

• Like 1

When you have a large group and you want to swap gear, do not drop the gear on the ground. Use a spare backpack to swap gear in. Keep the gear in the one backpack and you should be fine.

It's a subliminal message telling you this is not CoD and it's not meant for the entire server to be in one area

When you have a large group and you want to swap gear, do not drop the gear on the ground. Use a spare backpack to swap gear in. Keep the gear in the one backpack and you should be fine.

Unless next part of your master plan is..

• Like 1

Please disable friendly fire from some experimental servers to test this or do some internal testing at Bohemia Interactive. This is a still an issue and is been ignored as far as I know. In future larger servers and events with many people in one area crashes will be occuring

Oh they already know. That's why they stopped with 'testing' 100 players servers.

As for the infamous network bubble it is worked on since the "red chain player proximity alert" became quite big issue when everyone knows.

The question is if it can be fixed, since the network bubble seems to be main part of the engine..

• Like 1

It's a subliminal message telling you this is not CoD and it's not meant for the entire server to be in one area

It wasn't even the entire server it was like 10-15 people and the server was empty apart from us. The server crashed with only a couple of items on the floor. The point is 10-20 people could easily be fighting over one area such as an airfield, especially if 100 person servers are pushed. And what's to stop 3 clan having 10 members each and all fighting over an area? This is absolutely nothing to do with Call of Duty. This is highlighting how bad the engine is that the whole server crashes if a large group meet up, pretty much what the game is supposed to be designed for (free-roaming, do what you want). As usual no response from a developer about this.

Good luck barricading a big base with a big team if this is what happens!

Edited by AgentNe0

As usual no response from a developer about this.

As usual ye should report that on the bugtracker, if it's isn't in yet.

As usual ye should report that on the bugtracker, if it's isn't in yet.

ok  i have done that , hope it gets seen in amongst the hundreds of other reports

Normally your ticket is adressed within 48h, least that's what i saw.