FlyingCork

Horses in DayZ Standalone

More struggle than maintaining a car with an automatic transmission tho? We did domesticate their wild ancestors at a time when most humans were barely surviving through hunting, gathering and subsistence agriculture.

Actually, that is false. It was actually discovered that hunter-gatherers lived longer,cleaner lives than their agrarian counterparts. They could also meet their nutritional demands with about 20 hours of work per week, vs early farmings 50+.

Agriculture eventually became more worthwhile, but it sucks ballsack while we were figuring it out.

Bikes are for children and hippies, I will ride my horse and look like a badass thank you very much.

Then be very sad when it gets shot and dies.

Actually, that is false. 

I wasn't comparing the two so go look for straw men elsewhere. My point was that domestication of animals preceded modern civilization, so their use would presumably continue if civilization were to collapse.

Ummm .....If APES can ride horses after the apocalypse so can I!

Edit : *Damn dirty apes at that.

Edited by MarchHare

I'd say there's about an 80% chance BI will screw this up. Riding horses in DayZ is a bit too much to hope for, though it'd be awesome

• Like 1

Improvised backpack, green cowboy hat, olive tactical shirt, aviators, chest holster, brown hunter pants and jungle boots with a magnum and Blaze

My ranger will be complete ;A;

• Like 1

What is your opinion on horses in DayZ standalone?

I want them in. (only when the quality feels nice)

i think they are planned

I hope so, they can also use them for other games, so I think it is worth the money to get them in.

Horses should be in game and In emergency status everything should be eatable in this game included horse, own shit, also drinknig own pee like real survivors doing.

Improvised backpack, green cowboy hat, olive tactical shirt, aviators, chest holster, brown hunter pants and jungle boots with a magnum and Blaze

My ranger will be complete ;A;

I also use the green cowboy hat with olive tactical shirt, but also wear a gas mask.

If they can do it right...

Calvary charging the bandits camped in the NWAF whilst firing horsetop...

FUCK YEAH!

• Like 1

Horses should be in game and In emergency status everything should be eatable in this game included horse, own shit, also drinknig own pee like real survivors doing.

Yeah, you go ahead and eat your own faeces. Bon appetit. 

Report back when you realise it didn't hold any nutrients and didn't still your hunger. 

• Like 2

Can you imagine the amount of broken legs trying to mount your horse?

im yet to hear this fabled horse sound but on the grounds that because you think you hear a horse it will be added ...im going to believe because there is a leather jacket there implementing choppers or even mad max's interceptor

lets me think of horse armor and katanas

If I could just have my horse from Red Dead Redemption.  Nothing more, nothing less.  He's there when I need him and if he pisses me off I plug him in the skull and lassoo  me another.

I personally think horses would be awesome to see in game. Even if the first implementation of them was just another animal to hunt, while the devs worked on domesticating them & riding them for a later update.

To me it seems like horses are necessary. In real life - pre automobile, we only had horses for transport across land (putting aside trains)other than walking. It seems logical that in a post modern civilization scenario, that horses would become the main mode of transportation again. I don't think Day Z should add dozens of horses to the game, but how cool would it be to run in a group of people who are all on horseback.

To me it seems like horses are necessary. In real life - pre automobile, we only had horses for transport across land (putting aside trains)other than walking. It seems logical that in a post modern civilization scenario, that horses would become the main mode of transportation again. I don't think Day Z should add dozens of horses to the game, but how cool would it be to run in a group of people who are all on horseback.

Again, do you know how to properly saddle, un-saddle, maintain the tack and bridle, how to put the bit and assorted gear on the horse in the correct manner without hurting the animal, recognize and treat diseases, how to ride the horses over different terrain, how to actually ride the horse (different steps, how to sit, etc), etc etc etc? 

Bikes are easier to maintain, easier to ride, easy to fix, and when they get broken beyond repair, you can just go to a shed behind a house and get a new one. 

Not including the fact that Chernarus is very mountainous. The only flat land suitable for horses is by Vybor, and I am willing to bet that that land was for cattle, not horses. 

You do realize that humans can outrun horses, right? Over time, of course, but it is possible. Humans are (were?) persistence hunters, that is, we chased animals down until they collapsed from exhaustion. Other animals might be faster than us in the short term, but very few animals are faster than us in the long term. In fact, wolves (and by proxy, dogs) are one of those few species that can keep up with us via persistence hunting. 

Not including the fact that horses are rather easy to spook, and when they get spooked, they will run, and not stop until they feel like it, regardless of your wishes (If you managed to remain in the saddle at all, that is) Gunshots? Spooked horse. Zombies? Spooked horse. Hell, shadows on the road? Spooked horse (horses, cows, and other ungulate animals are very leery about crossing things like grids and trenches, as they can break a leg easily)

So, enjoy your easily spooked, effectively-slower-over-time, high-maintenance animal. I will ride my bike right on by, and probably stab it with a spear to get the meat.

I think you'd struggle to keep a dog during the apocalypse, nevermind a horse.

i really don't think so.

constraints to keeping horses based on feed and watering don't apply when you're running between waterholes and fields that your horse will eat from. 

if anything it'd be easier because there's no farmers running with shotguns because you're eating their crops. 

Horses and all are nice addition but when we have COD type run-n-kill death match, horses don't make sense. I'm sure if you play on a low pop or private server with certain rules then it would be interesting to try it. And the majority of players are into PVP. I think 80% are all into gunfights. So, I don't know if all that work is worth even trying it. Players will play with the horses, make jokes, and some horsing around videos and get killed on sight, after a week or 2 they get bored of horses and wait for another exciting addition to play with. This game's intention is different than what most people expect from it. Some people are playing the wrong game and are frustrated about it. It's like me playing Mine Craft and expecting to be like DayZ. Choose the right game for your style. If the horses are 100% practical when I play dayz, then yeah, please add it.

Horses and all are nice addition but when we have COD type run-n-kill death match, horses don't make sense. I'm sure if you play on a low pop or private server with certain rules then it would be interesting to try it. And the majority of players are into PVP. I think 80% are all into gunfights. So, I don't know if all that work is worth even trying it. Players will play with the horses, make jokes, and some horsing around videos and get killed on sight, after a week or 2 they get bored of horses and wait for another exciting addition to play with. This game's intention is different than what most people expect from it. Some people are playing the wrong game and are frustrated about it. It's like me playing Mine Craft and expecting to be like DayZ. Choose the right game for your style. If the horses are 100% practical when I play dayz, then yeah, please add it.

i've never thought of dayz as a run n kill deathmatch. even if it is all about fighting there's going to be up to 20km of walking between each fight. 

Again, do you know how to properly saddle, un-saddle, maintain the tack and bridle, how to put the bit and assorted gear on the horse in the correct manner without hurting the animal, recognize and treat diseases, how to ride the horses over different terrain, how to actually ride the horse (different steps, how to sit, etc), etc etc etc? 

Do you know how to snipe someone from 1000 yards? Calculate wind-age and bullet drop? Do you know how to skin a cow and tan leather? Do you know how to insert a saline drip? Probably not uless you GI Jo or something.... its a game.

• Like 2

Do you know how to snipe someone from 1000 yards? Calculate wind-age and bullet drop? Do you know how to skin a cow and tan leather? Do you know how to insert a saline drip? Probably not uless you GI Jo or something.... its a game.

Uh..... 1: I could certainly get close, if not hit that shot. 2: Yes, actually, though I mostly shoot based on adjustments. 3: Yes! I trapped for a while, so skinning animals and tanning hides is in my skill set! 4 : Yup, this too. All this, and Im just a red blooded American. youd be amazed what a random internet go-er can know.

Edited by LootandLive

I am now imagining myself on horseback, plowing through a horde of zombies swinging a sword or sledgehammer around.

FOR CROM!!!

We currently have cows, goats, chickens, deer, hogs, etc. in game and I haven't seen any of them fall over dead, because someone didn't feed them. Of course it would be a hoot if the devs would introduce cow tipping! :D  I have seen no indication that these animals must eat and drink, as the characters do, in order to survive. I think this is a reasonable simplification.

I think the solution is simple. If you log out, the horse should go into a grazing mode (not because it needs to eat, but because this is normal horse behavior) within a 100m radius of your log out point. If you want the horse to be there when you get back, you need to be selective about where you log out. If the horse gets stolen, or run over by a truck while you are logged out, then, "Them's the brakes!"

If we get horses, I think the devs need to fix the bow situation, once and for all. I would fancy Mongol-type recurve, composit bows. Supposedly, a skilled Mongol archer could use these with deadly effect out to 500m.

If anyone is interested, I hve similar thoughts about dogs. If you are eating something, the dog should beg for food. Not because the dog will die from starvation, but because this is normal dog behavior. If you have spare food, you can give it to the dog to maintain the relationship and make it unlikely that the dog will abandon you for a different master. If you can't, or don't give the dog food, the dog should move on and find someone else to bond with.