FlyingCork

Horses in DayZ Standalone

We should be able to eat them, if required. :>

• Like 10

I think you'd struggle to keep a dog during the apocalypse, nevermind a horse.

• Like 2

i think they are planned, and you can already rarely hear a horse sound (has to do with the sound-bug)

Edited by rotteck

There's so many farms. They could add packs of hay or we can just let them eat next to the mounds of hay. Maybe some horse shoes in the farms as well. What else besides this do you need. If they get sick and die.. life sucks, find another one.

Edited by DontGoToBalotaAlone

It's like beating a dead horse over and over. (Pun intended) But really, they said they want to TRY to impliment horses, but it's not exactly 100% sure that they will even work, let alone be implimented at all.

• Like 1

Nudges pole: explodes

Goes over bridge: flips 30 feet into the air

:P

In all seriousness I think it'll be extra hard to implement them functionally correct into the game. 

• Like 3

If they can do it great, if they can't meh! I won't lose sleep.

• Like 2

The sound bug sounds like a horse, so they'll  add horses to the game.
Because it is easier to add a new animal into the game rather than solve the problem with the soundsystem.

(Attention: This post is filled with irony*.)

* Thanks to Richard II in Leicester

Edited by TonyMahony
  • Like 2

The sound bug sounds like a horse, so they'll  add horses to the game.

Because it is easier to add a new animal into the game rather than solve the problem with the soundsystem.

(Attention: This post is filled with ironie.)

The irony of your post being filled with irony spilled over into your misspelling of irony ! How ironic ! Hah

I don't think horses would be a good idea. Just a noisy, hungry, zombie attracter isn't it?

Though maybe that could just be a part of the pros vs cons of having one if they did put them in the game.

Where would you keep it while you're logged off? And wouldn't it still need a lot of food and water whilst you're logged off? And fresh hay would be very hard to come by when the world has come to an end wouldn't it? Just thinkin out loud, so to speak. 

• Like 1

Horses can eat grass. How do you think they survived before humans started domesticating them?

• Like 3

Aye, lots of grass obviously that goes without saying. Just someone mentioned the use of the hay mounds to feed them that's all.

Plus I'm sure that if it gets to the point where teams of players can ready and maintain a Heli, like in the mod, then why wouldn't they also be able to take care of an animal or two. Pros could be its off road ability and leaping fences, cons that it needs a lot of food and is a big easy soft target for zeds and bullets etc. Scout horses, like dragoons could be an interesting role for a team member to have. The more I think about it the better it seems, but I still don't know if it would be in keeping with the feel of the game. I know that's completely subjective.

Horses "graze" anywhere there are grasses. Lawns, fields, pastures etc. They do not require "horse chow". They are resistant to most waterborn bacteria as well, so pond/stream drinking is fine. Maintenance of a horse is actually EASIER post apocalypse since you are free ranging. My little shack deep in the woods where I log out is a great place for an equine pal. He can log back in with me :)

Animals would be a server item like cars etc would be and were in the mod. They would be persistant to that server surely? Therefore not logging in or out ever. Hence my main point of concern. Where would you put a horse during the hours/days when you cannot be in DayZland? Tethering it could be a viable option I reckon. Near a pond.

But dogs cant just graze. Horses can. In fact, as long as its not dirt, or poison ivy, horses can eat most plants.

I'd rather have a dog than a horse, IMO. A dog, a bicycle, and a shotgun, and I'll be set

While horses could be a worthwhile addition to the game, in terms of travel and gear-carrying, does anyone actually know how to care for a horse? Treat illnesses, how to properly saddle, pack, and lead the thing? What if it goes lame?

See, this is why I prefer a bicycle. They are everywhere, easy to ride and, more importantly, repair (Plus, a full repair kit and spare tubes can be kept under the seat), can be taken off road with the snap of your fingers, and can carry you, you and some gear (strap a milk-crate on the front and back), or just several hundred pounds (look up "Ho Chi Ming Trail" The Vietnamese used bicycles to transport TONS (literal) of military supplies across the mountains of Vietnam and Laos). If it breaks beyond my capabilities to repair, just ditch it and find a new one at the house next door!

I like the idea but what happens when you log out?  Horse goes with you while other vehicles remain on the server?   Does it die if you don't feed it for a few days?

Horses are easy to maintain. They eat grass and drink water

Horses are easy to maintain. They eat grass and drink 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh God.....

More struggle than maintaining a car with an automatic transmission tho? We did domesticate their wild ancestors at a time when most humans were barely surviving through hunting, gathering and subsistence agriculture.