Sign in to follow this  
xalienax

How important should vehicles Be in the SA?

Vehicles  

72 members have voted

1. 1. How big of an impact should vehicles have/How important should they be?

• Vastly More then the mod. Vehicles should be everyone's goal!
    • The same or similar to the Mod. they should massively improve the abilities of those who have them.
    • Less than the mod. Vehicles should be a minor consideration for the average survivor.

So, in the various threads relating to every possible vehicle suggestion one could think of from Tanks, to Choppers, to battle buses, to bicycles; there seems to be quite a wide variety of opinions on what impact vehicles would/should have, if any, to gameplay.

Personally I've always like vehicles in my DayZ. the more the better. thier something to work for, something to horde as a squad, and something to destroy/deny to others. Its creates a much more group-oriented environment in the mod that's simply not in the SA currently, in no small part due to thier absence.

*Please not i did not say they would reduce in any way KoS or PvP, simply that they premote group play.

I think the bring a LOT of interesting aspects to the game.

• For PvP, They allow you to rapid relocate when one of your guys spot another group/clan/squad and engage in squad fights. an opportunity that would often be missed due to distance and time needed to meet up and re-locate othersiwse.
  • For Heroes, they allow you to rapidly get to those in need of help, or wose come the worse, for you back up to come to you quickly.
  • For the "firendly" survivor they give you unparalled flexibility and also can server as a mobile stock-pile for you and your mates.

so my question to you all is HOW much should vehicles effect Gameplay, and why?

• Like 1

The mod to me seemed like a decent balance between vehicle sparcity and founds parts...

I wouldnt mind seeing it be very similar to that.

The mod to me seemed like a decent balance between vehicle sparcity and founds parts...

I wouldnt mind seeing it be very similar to that.

My opinion as well. I wouldnt mind seeing a few more then true vanilla sprinkeled about the map if they were made harder to fix/maintain. (speaking mainly small civie cars and trucks) the extremely small handful in official servers made it a bit to easy to "collect em all" combined with the issues discussed elsewhere with the trees and foliage not rendering fully from the air.

playing dayz usually takes hours. with vehicles you can have more fun in less time. would be nice to have them soon but not tons of them on one server as you see it nowadays in the mod. maybe something around 10 cars and 5 motorbikes for 40 players (?). btw 1 - 2 helicopter per server could also be a deal. i would miss them if they won't be added.

Edited by duke0095

While I like vehicles (mainly bikes and ATVs), I don't think they add much other than something to help you move around faster. *Shrugs* 

Edited by DJ SGTHornet

I don't mind having the same equivalency for vehicles based on the mod but,what I do worry about is,and this will go along with base building too,that folks will get possessive and start demanding a way to lock these things up so no one else can get to them or access them while they are not logged into the game.They will get belligerent about their efforts to get these together and up & running then,placing items in them and be all upset once someone else comes along and takes it over once they leave the game and it becomes vulnerable.

I guess this will be where the modding tools will come into play and folks will mod a way to secure these items from others. 

Bear in mind I am looking at this from a purely logistical perspective....

How much does the average suburbanite (which I am assuming most of us are) know about vehicle maintenance? While there would most definitely be people who can take a car apart backwards and forewards, I sure as hell don't know what is going on underneath the hood of my truck, beyond the basics of the internal combustion engine.

Now, extrapolate that to an event where (assuming) 90% of the world's population has been lost. There are no new parts being produced, no new fuels, no new lubricants, no new tires, etc. How are you going to fix up a vehicle? What happens if it breaks? Runs out of gas?

Yes, vehicles can carry a lot of people and supplies. However, they also require a lot of work.

Bicycles FOREVAH. The most efficient vehicle ever designed by man. Can cover the miles quickly using nothing more than your own muscle power, can carry/tow a goodly amount of supplies as well as your person, can be walked/carried over off-road/rough terrain, the tires can be replaced easily, and can be improvised out of almost anything, up to and including wood. All it needs for propulsion is a chain, which (again) can be improvised. You can take the back wheel off and use it to generate torque in a generator, bringing mankind out of the darkness. Can be found almost everywhere on the globe, so finding a new one is not necessarily a problem.

The bicycle is truly a beautiful machine.

• Like 3

Not sure the poll is worded quite right, I want them to be important in the sense that they allow me to travel from A to B quickly and store things which may provide a distinct advantage over walking or fixed storage. But I don't want them to be more prevalent or somehow more necessary.

There are a lot of things that need to happen with vehicles before I personally, would consider them acceptable.

First, they need to be randomized, rarer, and completely/near barren (i.e. no usable parts on spawn).

Second, the repair parts need to be vehicle or vehicle-type specific. No more generic "tires" fitting on everything from a rickety bike to a Ural. Not sure if it should be "Toyota Hilux tire" or just "truck tire," but the parts have to be less generic.

Third, the ACTION of vehicle repair needs to be made into an ACTIVITY. It's not enough to just have a generic "toolkit," click "use," and your character goes about repairing the individual part. Locating what actually needs repair via in-game visual cues (not HUD items) is essential. Likewise, repairing a vehicle needs to be made a process. I'd suggest a mini-game for different repair actions, but people would probably have a shit fit.

Fourth, they need to save consistently and be persistent. Helicopters and technicals have to actually SAVE their previous ammo counts from restart to restart, and should NEVER come standard with ammunition.

Fifth, camouflage netting. This may not seem like much, but vehicles really do stick out like a sore thumb no matter what color they are or where you hide them. A camouflage netting item needs to be included for all vehicles.

Sixth, fuel availability. With the advent of the loot management concept, this could be applied to dynamically allocating fuel loot distribution on the hive. Siphoning fuel is a must, and it should be able to be done on both wrecked and live vehicles alike (but may not yield anything, or a small amount of gas). Gas should be a precious resource, not a "taken for granted" item in the game.

• Like 1

i hope they will be extremely difficult to gain and maintain, and i hope they will not be common.

So, in the various threads relating to every possible vehicle suggestion one could think of from Tanks, to Choppers, to battle buses, to bicycles; there seems to be quite a wide variety of opinions on what impact vehicles would/should have, if any, to gameplay.

Personally I've always like vehicles in my DayZ. the more the better. thier something to work for, something to horde as a squad, and something to destroy/deny to others. Its creates a much more group-oriented environment in the mod that's simply not in the SA currently, in no small part due to thier absence.

*Please not i did not say they would reduce in any way KoS or PvP, simply that they premote group play.

I think the bring a LOT of interesting aspects to the game.

• For PvP, They allow you to rapid relocate when one of your guys spot another group/clan/squad and engage in squad fights. an opportunity that would often be missed due to distance and time needed to meet up and re-locate othersiwse.
  • For Heroes, they allow you to rapidly get to those in need of help, or wose come the worse, for you back up to come to you quickly.
  • For the "firendly" survivor they give you unparalled flexibility and also can server as a mobile stock-pile for you and your mates.

so my question to you all is HOW much should vehicles effect Gameplay, and why?

I picked the last one. In all honesty vehicles should be a minor consideration. The last thing you want is everyone having easy access to vehicles and farming loot spots while running everyone over to get easy kills.

Bear in mind I am looking at this from a purely logistical perspective....

How much does the average suburbanite (which I am assuming most of us are) know about vehicle maintenance? While there would most definitely be people who can take a car apart backwards and forewards, I sure as hell don't know what is going on underneath the hood of my truck, beyond the basics of the internal combustion engine.

Now, extrapolate that to an event where (assuming) 90% of the world's population has been lost. There are no new parts being produced, no new fuels, no new lubricants, no new tires, etc. How are you going to fix up a vehicle? What happens if it breaks? Runs out of gas?

Yes, vehicles can carry a lot of people and supplies. However, they also require a lot of work.

Bicycles FOREVAH. The most efficient vehicle ever designed by man. Can cover the miles quickly using nothing more than your own muscle power, can carry/tow a goodly amount of supplies as well as your person, can be walked/carried over off-road/rough terrain, the tires can be replaced easily, and can be improvised out of almost anything, up to and including wood. All it needs for propulsion is a chain, which (again) can be improvised. You can take the back wheel off and use it to generate torque in a generator, bringing mankind out of the darkness. Can be found almost everywhere on the globe, so finding a new one is not necessarily a problem.

The bicycle is truly a beautiful machine.

This is what my whole post was about a few days ago.

Bicycles

Everyones to worried about high end freaking military vehicle loot right now.

Not sure the poll is worded quite right, I want them to be important in the sense that they allow me to travel from A to B quickly and store things which may provide a distinct advantage over walking or fixed storage. But I don't want them to be more prevalent or somehow more necessary.

There are a lot of things that need to happen with vehicles before I personally, would consider them acceptable.

First, they need to be randomized, rarer, and completely/near barren (i.e. no usable parts on spawn).

Second, the repair parts need to be vehicle or vehicle-type specific. No more generic "tires" fitting on everything from a rickety bike to a Ural. Not sure if it should be "Toyota Hilux tire" or just "truck tire," but the parts have to be less generic.

Third, the ACTION of vehicle repair needs to be made into an ACTIVITY. It's not enough to just have a generic "toolkit," click "use," and your character goes about repairing the individual part. Locating what actually needs repair via in-game visual cues (not HUD items) is essential. Likewise, repairing a vehicle needs to be made a process. I'd suggest a mini-game for different repair actions, but people would probably have a shit fit.

Fourth, they need to save consistently and be persistent. Helicopters and technicals have to actually SAVE their previous ammo counts from restart to restart, and should NEVER come standard with ammunition.

Fifth, camouflage netting. This may not seem like much, but vehicles really do stick out like a sore thumb no matter what color they are or where you hide them. A camouflage netting item needs to be included for all vehicles.

Sixth, fuel availability. With the advent of the loot management concept, this could be applied to dynamically allocating fuel loot distribution on the hive. Siphoning fuel is a must, and it should be able to be done on both wrecked and live vehicles alike (but may not yield anything, or a small amount of gas). Gas should be a precious resource, not a "taken for granted" item in the game.

I agree with you mostly actually. i would like more work dedicated to fixing them up to make it work, However with 50/60 players the standard now and higher counts being suggested (tho not offcially confirmed one way or the other) i think a few more actual repairable cars per server would be good. gives more people a chance to access them without really making it easier as they still have to do all the work of fixing.

The mini-game thing i think is a bit too much but i would likje you to have to use different tools for different repairs- perhaps even have 'compound parts' like tires and rims that require you to then put the tire onto the rim (this can easily be done by two people oldschool with tire irons or crowbars given some physical effort).

As to the person who mentioned bases and vehicles being locked. im okay with that as long as its a breachable lock. (Ie busting thru a base door with axes, or smashing a car window to get in) it forces the attacker to slithgtly damage the vehicle or structure to get at it and make a lot of noise in the process. this is a realistic tradeoff between security and the anything goes in the apocalypse game play that dayZ trys to portray.

I agree with you mostly actually. i would like more work dedicated to fixing them up to make it work, However with 50/60 players the standard now and higher counts being suggested (tho not offcially confirmed one way or the other) i think a few more actual repairable cars per server would be good. gives more people a chance to access them without really making it easier as they still have to do all the work of fixing.

The mini-game thing i think is a bit too much but i would likje you to have to use different tools for different repairs- perhaps even have 'compound parts' like tires and rims that require you to then put the tire onto the rim (this can easily be done by two people oldschool with tire irons or crowbars given some physical effort).

As to the person who mentioned bases and vehicles being locked. im okay with that as long as its a breachable lock. (Ie busting thru a base door with axes, or smashing a car window to get in) it forces the attacker to slithgtly damage the vehicle or structure to get at it and make a lot of noise in the process. this is a realistic tradeoff between security and the anything goes in the apocalypse game play that dayZ trys to portray.

I personally like the minigame concept, it actually allows for the player to get GOOD at something. Vice just having the player click "use" or "repair" or "combine" and the character goes about a fixed animation in accomplishing that task. Failure, shoddy repair, or a perfect repair... should be options as well, rather than a 100% guarantee of success.

Agreed about the locks, some of the mods were absolutely stupid because of "indestructible" bases. So long as an item (locks in this case) has a suitable counter, I'm totally fine with it. But it shouldn't be something that everyone has, and the locks should have varying degrees of resistance.

I personally like the minigame concept, it actually allows for the player to get GOOD at something. Vice just having the player click "use" or "repair" or "combine" and the character goes about a fixed animation in accomplishing that task. Failure, shoddy repair, or a perfect repair... should be options as well, rather than a 100% guarantee of success.

Agreed about the locks, some of the mods were absolutely stupid because of "indestructible" bases. So long as an item (locks in this case) has a suitable counter, I'm totally fine with it. But it shouldn't be something that everyone has, and the locks should have varying degrees of resistance.

I suppose it could be okay provided 2 things;

1. any mini game must be a matter of manpipulating the tools or something that does not have a big foot print on your screen. No clunky pop up window or screen obscuring ui.

2. There needs to be an "instant out" allowing you to drop the tool imediately with one button press if being attacked or approached (but this results in the tool being left behind if you have to flee. it doesnt majicly go back into your inventory)

Vehicle should not be important at all.

kinda stupid that having a vehicle is seen as a respectable end game in a survival game.

So you got a vehicle so what ? why should such a stupid thing be the maximum you can achieve in the game.

So great you got a car now you can travel at 30 mph instead of sprinting at 15 mph on foot.

Vehicle should not be important at all.

kinda stupid that having a vehicle is seen as a respectable end game in a survival game.

So you got a vehicle so what ? why should such a stupid thing be the maximum you can achieve in the game.

So great you got a car now you can travel at 30 mph instead of sprinting at 15 mph on foot.

its the flexibility and capability to be anywhere in short order that makes them important. its the ability to carry a full kit of gear, pick your mate up where he or she spawned and have them ready to go soon as they hop in, and within a few minutes later be rolling up to wreck the person wo done 'em wrong with your car full of gunmen. It also means you can hit loot points faster, farm better gear faster, and if detected get far away faster before a bigger group shows up.

the person whose on foot has to deal with excessive food and drink needs of jogging everywhere with onyl what they can carry, having a vehicle changes the rules. you can be thirsty and risk crossing the map.

• Like 1

In my opinion, vehicles should be used for transportation only. In the mod we could see how a single chopper could dominate a whole server. I've played on a hive and everyones goal was the heli because the heli ment server domination. you were able to spot anything (cars, tents and player) out of the heli.

But cars and bikes are needed as soon as possible!

Edited by Fesskey

In my opinion, vehicles should be used for transportation only. In the mod we could see how a single chopper could dominate a whole server. I've played on a hive and everyones goal was the heli because the heli ment server domination. you were able to spot anything (cars, tents and player) out of the heli.

But cars and bikes are needed as soon as possible!

I never ever... ever... thought helicopters could "dominate" the map. I've been playing since April of 2012, and I've never once had an issue with a helicopter. One could take them out with small arms fire for god's sake. Or just, you know, avoid them... really... really... easily.

Sure, the vehicles and tents stuck out like a sore thumb. But that's not the helicopter's fault now is it?

Reading the circumstances of the mod as if they're perpetually applicable to the SA, isn't helpful.

Sovetsky, how will you use your vehicle if you're server hopping through 10-50 servers to find the parts you need? Vehicles will be locked to individual servers

I never ever... ever... thought helicopters could "dominate" the map. I've been playing since April of 2012, and I've never once had an issue with a helicopter. One could take them out with small arms fire for god's sake. Or just, you know, avoid them... really... really... easily.

Sure, the vehicles and tents stuck out like a sore thumb. But that's not the helicopter's fault now is it?

Reading the circumstances of the mod as if they're perpetually applicable to the SA, isn't helpful.

You could take out a Huey with small arms fire? Me not. You maybe crush their glass or something they don't need but hitting the heli's engine is not really likely. 

Tanks and air vehicle (with guns) make DayZ an open world PvP. 

You could take out a Huey with small arms fire? Me not. You maybe crush their glass or something they don't need but hitting the heli's engine is not really likely. 

Uh.. derpity derp derp?

The 7.62 could literally smash a Hueys main rotor. Took more 5.56 but the both worked equally well. Sure it was difficult to land good shots on a moving huey, but that's why you play smart and ambush the chopper when it needs to hover, or is flying low. I've taken out many a pilot by leading my shots and just firing. It's not guaranteed but it can be done, requires luck and skill.

The MI17 however.. that thing was a flying tank. Amg.

Edited by Daemonkid

No, the fact that more than one player is in DayZ make it PvP.

You can absolutely destroy a UH-1 in the mod with a Mk 48, I've taken several out in just that way. Hell, I've even been sniped out of helicopters by battle rifles.

How do zombies fare against helicopters though? Unless zombies swarm after them from miles around, I think helicopters cheapen the whole experience and encourage even more militaristic behavior; something dayz is not short of.

How do zombies fare against helicopters though? Unless zombies swarm after them from miles around, I think helicopters cheapen the whole experience and encourage even more militaristic behavior; something dayz is not short of.

yea helicopters would hurt the game so much.

The game will evolve back to the same boring regiment that the mod did.

Get helicopter, fly all over north looking for tents and cars.

Capture them and the weapons then hide your helicopter too.

Helicopters will do far more harm than good in the game.

• Like 1

yea helicopters would hurt the game so much.

The game will evolve back to the same boring regiment that the mod did.

Get helicopter, fly all over north looking for tents and cars.

Capture them and the weapons then hide your helicopter too.

Helicopters will do far more harm than good in the game.

Funny thing is; almost everyone from the SA that ive introduced to the mod have preferrred the mod's gameplay. infact, i think the only ones who have a problem with the mod's vehicles are the bear-grylls like solo survivalists.

the helis have turned the north of this particular server into a warzone in which the 3 clans there are compeeting for vehicle supremacy. This is interesting gameplay, all involved are enjoying it. the thrill if stealing from and trashing your rivals' base and the rage of having it done to you. dayZ is in Apocalypse that happens to have zombies. everyone seems stuck on this dillusion that people just gater together all friendly like in dark times. Please, go look at any country/state where there has been a total collapse. people do work together- but they also divide into sects based upon varying principles or backgrounds. Clans/Squads are the Online gaming equivalent of this.

All i can say is the northern vehicle wars are keeping the major clans occupied with eachother and not (for the most part) shooting fresh spawns.