Sign in to follow this  
mixmastajingles

How to Fix "Connecting Failed" Issue

Chances are that you may be experiencing a very common problem know by most as that "Connecting Failed" issue. This issue may be complex or simple and will take a few minutes of troubleshooting to find out what exactly is your problem. I was where you are at now with the horrible issue and I hope my tutorial can help you!

What is the "Connecting Failed" issue?

The issue means you are having one of the two problems listed in your DayZ experience.

1.When attempting connection to a server the game fails to connect and sends you back to screen that only says "Confirmation of Changes" and "Connecting Failed" followed by a prompt that says "Restart".

2. Server List will not refresh or takes an extended amount of time to load.

Troubleshooting Steps

Here are a few steps you may take to attempt to fix the issue yourself! These are all for Windows OS.

1. Run the game as administrator. Locate your Dayz.exe launch file in your steam folder and right click for the option to run as administrator. This may sometimes help if you have default security measures in your system that block aspects of your game. 

2. Allow Dayz and steam through your system firewall and router. Also try disabling your firewall completely as allowances may not be enough. If you do not know how to log into and change settings in your router you may find information about it on the bottom of your physical router and use your router manufacturer's website to guide you through the steps.

3. Enable or disable UpNp in your system and/or router. You may find UpNp by searching "services" in your computer and scrolling down your service list until you find "UpNp device Host" and right click it to stop or start it(If this step does not work make sure you go back in and undo your changes). Your router steps will vary greatly as routers are not made equal so please refer to your manufacturer's website for steps.

4. Your router may have "default DMZ server" enabled or disabled. Attempt to disable or enable it for a possible fix. Again, please refer to your router manufacturer's website for steps.

If these 4 steps have not worked for you these next steps will be the fix for most players and requires the most time, effort, and possible money. Most of the time this issue is in regards to Steam Authentication failure and will need to be addressed by forwarding ports in your router, hooking your computer up directly to your modem, or the purchase of a new router. I had to purchase a new router because my router was quite old and would not allow steam to authenticate and connect me or allow me to view servers at all.

Do yourself a favor and take 5 minutes to turn off your router and connect your system directly to your modem. I would assume over 80% of you will see immediate results in DayZ and all other steam games with authentication issues. I purchased a new Belkin router and have had the best time ever since, a new router may be expensive but your time is more expensive than 40 bucks at walmart!

I really hope this shed some light on the issue and helps you out! 

Edited by jingles
  • Like 1