Sign in to follow this  
Borges (DayZ)

Make survival rewarding.

This is a suggestion for post-alpha builds for future features. It would be nice if there was actually a point to surviving, such as a type of reward or advantage for surviving past a specific number of days like 5 or something. This general idea comes from Arma 3's breaking point where if you survive for 5 days you're awarded with a "survivalist" ghillie suit and a package of stuff or something. I don't think it would be a good idea to copy this exactly but perhaps making surviving days in general be beneficial or an advantage to the player in some way, would be cool and add to the core gameplay I think.

Survival  is rewarding because you are still alive.

Edited by meat pie
  • Like 11

Couldn't put it better for Meat Pie, you shouldn't get a reward besides the fact you still have your gear

How would you get this "reward"?  A ghillie suit just materialises out of thin air?

As Mr Pie has said, just surviving is reward enough.

Because we live in an age where we get participation rewards just because you were on the field and were in uniform.  We get an achievement for watching the cut scene that bridges two levels, rather than 'hey I get to advance'.  In my day the Winners went to Dominoes, sat inside to eat and went to Dave's Ice cream afterwards, the losers sat in the parking lot of Little Caesars while coach went inside to get 2 pizzas while her husband stops at 711 to pick up a bucket of generic Neapolitan ice cream that's soup by the time it gets there.

Whats wrong with Little Caesars? Thats good pizza to lol.

Whats wrong with Little Caesars? Thats good pizza to lol.

Well I didn't know at the time, but they set their ovens too low temp wise or the conveyors are too high a speed.  Sure the surface crust is a light golden brown (not quite golden brown and delicious) but the bottom is almost raw dough white.  Crazy bread has to be slathered in this oil that's called 'butter' (pretty sure I might have skin cancer on my hands from that shit) after it's been cooked, otherwise it too looks like barely cooked.  Yeah as a Pizza it's alright, if I want pizza and don't want to go more than 2 valleys over I'll grab a hot and ready and ignore that sickly white undercrust.

hair growth, beards, tans, weight gain or loss (subtle -- depends on your diet -- with no effect of run speed), and cleanliness (attracts zombies your way and repels animals youre hunting, so go hop in the pond and clean off that B.O.). 

thats all the reward i need.

Edited by UnarmedCiv
  • Like 1

Well I didn't know at the time, but they set their ovens too low temp wise or the conveyors are too high a speed.  Sure the surface crust is a light golden brown (not quite golden brown and delicious) but the bottom is almost raw dough white.  Crazy bread has to be slathered in this oil that's called 'butter' (pretty sure I might have skin cancer on my hands from that shit) after it's been cooked, otherwise it too looks like barely cooked.  Yeah as a Pizza it's alright, if I want pizza and don't want to go more than 2 valleys over I'll grab a hot and ready and ignore that sickly white undercrust.

Sounds like you got dealt a bad pizza joint. They are not all like that.

Ive thought alot about giving rewards for doing something ingame.

But surviving is not enough tbh.

If we are to get "rewards" (using this words loosely) we should do more then just survive to earn it.

For example, having the healthy status for a long period of time (24 ingame hours perhaps?) would grant you a higher chance of not getting infected with disease or bleeding as easily.

Having the energized status for a long time, would increase your need for food, same goes for hydrated.

If you are hungry or thirsty alot, you will eventually last longer without food and water.

This is simple adaptation, our bodies are doing it on a daily basis IRL, so why not ingame aswell :)

There was a post somewhere about this, just cant find i now :(

EDIT:

I want to add, it can be done easily by adding more status effects, like "Fit", "Tired", "Strong", "weak" and so on...

At least i would like to see our actions have an impact on the type of survivor we evolve into.

Overeat/drink = become slower, maybe run a smaller distance before a break is needed.

Undereat/drink = become slower, and can run a smaller distance, before a break is needed.

Balancing the diet just right, should give you the best possible chance to survive.

Atm, the best thing you can do is to eat EVERYTHING you can find, even if your not hungry, because your body can store so much energy, which is the equivelant og overeating tbh.

This should change omhi, what you put in your mouth should have a more direct impact on your character.

Edited by Byrgesen
  • Like 2

We could get a stat telling us our average lifespan? And just a random thought but maybe when private hives are added some could require you to have above a minimum lifespan to join?

Survival  is rewarding because you are still alive.

And I like being alive! A lot!

Lolwut?  Surviving is nothing but rewards:

Stay alive = keep your loot.

Survive encounter = keep their loot.

Every meal = a banquet.

Every formation = a parade.  

I love being a survivor.