whothe

Companion animals (endgame mechanic)

I really like the idea that you made up there and looking forward that those animals get implented. I only wanted to say that Rocket 'promised' to add dogs into the standalone version of the game, so... I believe that atleast the dogs would be added anyway. (Maybe in the beta-version of the game, with cars and stuff.) Btw: Sorry for my bloody awful english.

PS.: I really would appreciate if dogs could attack players anyway. Offcourse a dog should be easily to kill (headshoot and stuff.) but for example: You run around. You see a dog. The dog is owned by another player. The dog growls. You keep moving in his near. The dog gets 'angry'. You keep annoying him. The dog attacks. Dogs that are not owned by players should not attack players nor zombies. You can't command an dog that is owned by you to attack another player. I also would like realistic hit-models to those animals. Like when the dog gets hit by his leg: He hobbels. Also like wimpering or even 'yelling' when he gets shot. Like: You running around and suddenly you hear a gunshot and an dog, wimpering his last breath out. And you know: Someone just shot my dog! *Wine.*

+ Maybe it would also be great if those animals could have a infected version of themself. Like zombie-dogs. Like those from DayZ-Epoch, although I never got attacked by one.

Edited by Grivies
  • Like 1

Fantastic ideas! Amazing artwork. Really like those!! In a February devblog Dean talked about non-hostile animals being "tamable" such as horses and dogs. Maybe we'll see something between what you suggest and what they have in mind. Anyway, great work on you post!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  

:beans:

This is the most brilliant post.  The amount of detail, and the artwork.  I would love to see these implemented into the game.

Fantastic idea my good sir.

Edit: My 69th post..... heh heh

Edited by aimbot.eXe

This is an amazing idea, I love it. Is there a way to promote this so a dev or mod can see it?

Excellent ideas,I would like to see horse especially for travel more then vehicles to be honest

A dog as a companion with a Bird of Prey .... what more could you ask for

Be cool,that's for sure!

I think dogs should be able to attack people, with packs being an option, if you can have more than one "pet" at a given time.

I want a pet pig.  I hear they are great at finding truffles in the woods.  oh boy oh boy.. selling tasty truffles for an M4. 

Really love the hawk idea. Having a spotting bird would be so cool.

I do think what you've outlined so overly complex and though realistic, might not be as fun.

• Like 1

Horses would be really nice to make you move fast , carry some bags on the side , and it's always nice to have a real friend with you :) ( this should spawn : http://www.dailyequine.com/horsesaddleshop/rockwell-ranch-high-horse-saddle.jpg / http://www.localriding.com/image-files/bridle-double-2.jpg  in those barns : http://i.imgur.com/ii2Vz.jpg?1 )

About the dogs , it would just be for having a friend ( wich is a good point ) .

Really love the hawk idea. Having a spotting bird would be so cool.

I do think what you've outlined so overly complex and though realistic, might not be as fun.

I already suggested that a while ago and everyone agreed that this would be too much since you need to train a bird for years and years....

Give him dat beans!

for_the_love_of_god_MOAR-s450x516-138604

Dogs as companions will come, pretty sure.

But Horses and Birds, dayum. pretty good suggestion.

And you lose them when you die? As long as that is the case I love the idea.

• Like 1

Great idea. I can just imagine how buggy their AI would be at first...imagine trying to be stealthy and your dog just runs out to the center of clearing to eat some rotten food ;)

Ok here's my thing, a little over six months ago I lost my best dog in RL.  I was at work and she busted out of the house, was hit by a car and died 7 hours later from bruised lungs.  Tough little dog, she clung to life as long as she could in the vet hospital.  She was on pain killers and in an O2 cabinet to help her breathing.  It was not enough.  Broke my heart, I wasn't this miserable when my father passed and I am still having grief issues with it.  My wife and I cannot have children so she was like a daughter, she was also the first dog we had together. 

15000+ years of human/dog coevolution is not lost on me, dogs were the first of the domesticated animals.   It has even been said by some anthropologists that without dogs it is unlikely that humans could have had civilization.  Dogs were equal partners in hunter/gatherer bands and are why some of these bands survived and did not go extinct.

That all said, I would go absolutely berserk if I saw anyone being cruel or torturing virtual animals in game.  I like the idea that dogs cannot attack players and I would like that to see that as reciprocal, meaning players cannot attack dogs either.  Definitely dogs would also HAVE TO BE OFF LIMITS as a food item too. I would also like dogs to be unable to attack other dogs to prevent players from participating in dog fights. 

I don't care really what players do to each other, not one little bit, but I can see how some of these douchebags will do anything they think is amusing.  Abusing dogs, even virtual ones, is not remotely amusing, it is sick.  Imagine that on YouTube, I can see some sick turd posting vids of abusing dogs in DayZ on YouTube.  I cannot emphasis enough how stupid and daft and ignorant that would be.

Flame and troll me all you want, I won't respond to it and will just put you on my ignore list.

• Like 3

Ok here's my thing, a little over six months ago I lost my best dog in RL.  I was at work and she busted out of the house, was hit by a car and died 7 hours later from bruised lungs.  Tough little dog, she clung to life as long as she could in the vet hospital.  She was on pain killers and in an O2 cabinet to help her breathing.  It was not enough.  Broke my heart, I wasn't this miserable when my father passed and I am still having grief issues with it.  My wife and I cannot have children so she was like a daughter, she was also the first dog we had together. 

15000+ years of human/dog coevolution is not lost on me, dogs were the first of the domesticated animals.   It has even been said by some anthropologists that without dogs it is unlikely that humans could have had civilization.  Dogs were equal partners in hunter/gatherer bands and are why some of these bands survived and did not go extinct.

That all said, I would go absolutely berserk if I saw anyone being cruel or torturing virtual animals in game.  I like the idea that dogs cannot attack players and I would like that to see that as reciprocal, meaning players cannot attack dogs either.  Definitely dogs would also HAVE TO BE OFF LIMITS as a food item too. I would also like dogs to be unable to attack other dogs to prevent players from participating in dog fights. 

I don't care really what players do to each other, not one little bit, but I can see how some of these douchebags will do anything they think is amusing.  Abusing dogs, even virtual ones, is not remotely amusing, it is sick.  Imagine that on YouTube, I can see some sick turd posting vids of abusing dogs in DayZ on YouTube.  I cannot emphasis enough how stupid and daft and ignorant that would be.

Flame and troll me all you want, I won't respond to it and will just put you on my ignore list.

Yes. That is the only way I'll have companions in DayZ, especially dogs.

I would also like dogs to be unable to attack other dogs to prevent players from participating in dog fights. 

How would you feel about random packs of savage dogs scavenging in a town that would attack players, therefore you have to defend yourself ? because I think its a great idea but fair enough with the no dog fights idea that has malicious intent on entertainments behalf, that is a bit crazy in a virtual world as well as RL

• Like 2

How would you feel about random packs of savage dogs scavenging in a town that would attack players, therefore you have to defend yourself ? because I think its a great idea but fair enough with the no dog fights idea that has malicious intent on entertainments behalf, that is a bit crazy in a virtual world as well as RL

TBH I don't even like killing the wolves in Rust. The sound effect gets me...

• Like 1

Nice suggestions, now here are a few of mines to complete this and prevent it from being too much like a player mount feature:

-Animals may be hurt and/or wounded the same way players can be, broken bones for instance.

-You may use medical equipment designed for humans (drugs) but it may very well have adverse effects (i don't have the details but some drugs do NOT work on a horse for instance).

-Animals come with random desirable and undesirable traits that determinate their obedience, agility/clumsyness, and so on. You may find yourself with a dog that may be very disobedient and cannot be commanded properly, yet will still perceive strangers and hostiles around you. Bottom, line, there has to be a chance that your new animal friend will NOT become what you want him to be.

• Like 2

Nice suggestions, now here are a few of mines to complete this and prevent it from being too much like a player mount feature:

-Animals may be hurt and/or wounded the same way players can be, broken bones for instance.

The only reason I disagree with this is as I have stated before. Some sick bastards will use that as an opportunity to do heinous things to virtual animals and post it on YouTube. That could bring some serious negative blow back. So far the game is under the radar, better to keep it that way rather get the rep that some other games already have.

I like the idea of your animal being it's own being. Gives them a personality. Some of my best dogs were disobedient as all hell. still loved me and still, did pretty much what I told them to do, but sometimes, revenge poop and revenge pee are best served cold. Miss that feisty little harbor dog. Sigh...

Edited by Barnabus
  • Like 1

Nice idea, but maybe it's to much on the servers.  Could the servers handle a lot (everyone would want one) of these flying/running around and the AI and all that?

Arma had farm animals and dogs before, so far i havent seen anyone whine when they get killed.

And you can be as heyneous as you want against pixel characters, they dont exist.

Arma had farm animals and dogs before, so far i havent seen anyone whine when they get killed.

And you can be as heyneous as you want against pixel characters, they dont exist.

Oh, going straight for the troll, welcome to ignore

• Like 1