Sign in to follow this  
GriefSlicer (DayZ)

Building art in DayZ Standalone not apocalyptic enough IMO

Hey guys I just came on here to discuss the situation of the building art/interior, because I feel as if I am not exactly getting that apocalyptic feel when I walk into one of the buildings. Yes, there is blood on the ground and a few knocked over table, but I believe the blood needs to be more intensified with red instead of looking like someone spilt their red water colour paint on the ground. I know it is the least of the "Building Teams" problems as of now seeing they are working hard on pumping out new buildings to accommodate the new towns to exist and also to accommodate already existing towns, but I really do hope that one day they can at least "re-do" the interior and exterior of building just to add an apocalyptic touch instead of making it look like your average city where everyone spills red water colour paint on the ground.

So what do you guys currently think about the state of the buildings in DayZ standalone. 

• Like 1

So gore = apocalyptic?

I think the buildings themselves are fine, in and out. The overall environment however, needs more apocalyptic blemishes (i.e. abandoned refugee camps, roadblocks, crashes, etc.)

So gore = apocalyptic?

I think the buildings themselves are fine, in and out. The overall environment however, needs more apocalyptic blemishes (i.e. abandoned refugee camps, roadblocks, crashes, etc.)

Yeah your actually exactly right I guess the apocalypse isn't all just gore, but it would be nice to find a chopped up brutalized zombie inside of a home from time to time and also maybe people hanging themselves as suicide would heavily increase in an apocalypse. Being a few years later after a zombie outbreak I think that grass/plants should be overgrown around housing areas which would be excellent.

Edited by GriefSlicer
  • Like 2

It is meant to be a couple of years later so the blood would be a dark stain :)

I want to see more destroyed buildings like the hotel in cherno.

lol same. There is only a few key locations with truly destroyed buildings. Everything is ubber clean cut. But i think they said they had an art team working on making things more gloomy like.

The reason the buildings arent plastered with blood, is because the original idea was for player events to leave behind traces of it.

Rocket wanted the buildings to look kinda plain, unless someone was killed in it.

Now it doesnt work like that in the SA atm, but it was a great idea "back in the day", which is why the interior isnt full of blood.

Hopefully it will work like that, in the end, but only time will tell.

You can read more about this in the early dev blogs on tumblr.

It is meant to be a couple of years later so the blood would be a dark stain :)

Source for this?

If its years later, why are fresh fruit lying all over the place?

Anything but canned food would not survive, even one year like this.

Never heard it was suppose to take place years after the apocalypse, so im very curious as to where you obtained this information :)

• Like 1

The reason the buildings arent plastered with blood, is because the original idea was for player events to leave behind traces of it.

Rocket wanted the buildings to look kinda plain, unless someone was killed in it.

Now it doesnt work like that in the SA atm, but it was a great idea "back in the day", which is why the interior isnt full of blood.

Hopefully it will work like that, in the end, but only time will tell.

You can read more about this in the early dev blogs on tumblr.

Source for this?

If its years later, why are fresh fruit lying all over the place?

Anything but canned food would not survive, even one year like this.

Never heard it was suppose to take place years after the apocalypse, so im very curious as to where you obtained this information :)

Soda would be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO freaking bad to without proper refrigeration. Why the hell would ANYONE try to drink a flat soda?!!! UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH >.>

Also this logic pretty much beats everything countering it lol. Fresh fruits and vegetables do NOT last for years. They go bad within a month and a half of not being properly once again stored in refrigerators.

Soda would be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO freaking bad to without proper refrigeration. Why the hell would ANYONE try to drink a flat soda?!!! UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH >.>

Also this logic pretty much beats everything countering it lol. Fresh fruits and vegetables do NOT last for years. They go bad within a month and a half of not being properly once again stored in refrigerators.

Unless they are filled with enough chemicals to start the zombie apocalypse ;)

Perhaps thats how it all started lol.

I think the buildings look alright, what we need is more designs of general houses and hospitals, so we have more than 10 types of buildings. However, I understand this may take a while, blood stains need to be ore frequent, such as on roads, burnt out cars, hospitals need more blood.

Just needs more blood and to be made to look a bit more realistic other than looking like the spray can tool on MS paint. :P

Unless they are filled with enough chemicals to start the zombie apocalypse ;)

Perhaps thats how it all started lol.

Naw it all started when ppl ordered the special fish sandwiches and McDonalds. XD

Unopened soda cans can last for years without any noticeable effects. And they don't need to be stored in refrigerators to last, they are after all canned.

I think the buildings look alright, what we need is more designs of general houses and hospitals, so we have more than 10 types of buildings. However, I understand this may take a while, blood stains need to be ore frequent, such as on roads, burnt out cars, hospitals need more blood.

Just needs more blood and to be made to look a bit more realistic other than looking like the spray can tool on MS paint. :P

The "plan" was to minimize the default blood decals all over the place, and create then when ever players are hurt or killed, so the world would change visually.

Imagine going into a house and finding a shit ton of blood on the stairs leading up to the second floor. You know something bad has happened, but you dont know what.

Let me see if i can find the segment from the dev blog, mentioning this.

It was in one of the early ones hehe.

EDIT:

Got it :D

One caveat I forgot last time, the interiors do look very clean. Adding gore or deterioration can quickly be overdone, so we feel our first task is to create the interiors and ensure we are happy with the gameplay and quality of the basic texture work - then we will go through to add elements more authentic to the situation.  Overall, we believe the experience should have a style more akin to “The Road” rather than gore for gore’s sake.  When you find gore in DayZ, it will mean something and have impact. In fact, it will be most likely due to tragedy or betrayal involving a human player. This way, we believe what happens in the world matters, instead of simply adding some crashed buses and blood everywhere.

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/post/33906503689/work-in-progress-interiors-continued-i-was-a

Edited by Byrgesen

Unopened soda cans can last for years without any noticeable effects. And they don't need to be stored in refrigerators to last, they are after all canned.

Yeah but im sure the cans would explode from constantly expanding and contracting from both warm and cold weather without having one consistent temperature over the other.

I agree with that, but I was sort of talking about having blood that is from the original aftermath, hard stained into the floors of busy areas, such as hospitals, schools and the army bases.

But having (can't think of the word), on servers which will have blood from an attack which happened previously stay there would also be good. :)

remember the mod? sandbags and machine gun posts and bodies in the streets, showing a fight lost.. and the occasional massacre site with flies buzzing. Def atmospheric (was it decided this was too atmospheric?)

Cars do not fall to ruin after 2 years abandoned, unless ALL these cars are burned? in this case many buildings should be violence-damaged?

City buildings take 25 years before they begin to show external signs of wear

Interiors left open fall to bits faster, interior paint flakes off, plaster and tiles fall fast, furniture decays if left with windows broken and open to the climate.

It's interesting to look at the many photos of Pripyat on the web (Chernobyl) 30 years after this modern city was completely abandoned non-violently.

Wooden buildings need more upkeep, external wood stains and dries in sun and ice, shingles break loose if not maintained, a door left open for a year falls off its hinges, metal starts to rust (hot summers cold winters, central Euro climate). I always noticed in SA that - in real life, in abandoned wooden country buildings the doors always stick and are difficult to open, usually left wedged or sagging half way. Village gardens and streets and road borders grow thickly and are rank after 1 year, except good metalled roads.

In cities grass starts growing in the streets, in paving cracks, gutters, around posts and drains after 1st year, could be strongly noticeable after a few years, dust collects, windblown. This gives the uninhabited look more than anything else, untill trees start appearing and the roads begin to crack (long time later)

I thought the film "I am Legend" was VERY good at the uninhabited abandoned city look.. someone should have an award for these visual effects... was the only interesting good thing about the film in fact..

• Like 3

Source for this?

In many earlier vids and interviews Rocket had stated how long after the apoc (of sorts) we were thrown into, and actually i'm glad you questioned me because it may in fact have only been a couple of months after now that you made me really think, i had two years locked in but it may be two months.  I couldn't find any sources but it is there in some early interviews and i ain't spending all night watching them :)

In many earlier vids and interviews Rocket had stated how long after the apoc (of sorts) we were thrown into, and actually i'm glad you questioned me because it may in fact have only been a couple of months after now that you made me really think, i had two years locked in but it may be two months.  I couldn't find any sources but it is there in some early interviews and i ain't spending all night watching them :)

I see, i guess thats why ive missed it, i havent watched ALL the interviews with Rocket, because its almost the same stuff mentioned everytime hehe.

I was just curious, as i havent heard of it myself and this question has been an ongoing debate on these forums, for quite some time now :)

Hopefully we will get a definite answer at some point, when they start to "flesh out" the lore of the game more.

• Like 1

I thought the film "I am Legend" was VERY good at the uninhabited abandoned city look.. someone should have an award for these visual effects... was the only interesting good thing about the film in fact..

I feel best movie representing post apocalypse is the road. The book of Eli was not bad either
  • Like 1

remember the mod? sandbags and machine gun posts and bodies in the streets, showing a fight lost.. and the occasional massacre site with flies buzzing. Def atmospheric (was it decided this was too atmospheric?)

Cars do not fall to ruin after 2 years abandoned, unless ALL these cars are burned? in this case many buildings should be violence-damaged?

City buildings take 25 years before they begin to show external signs of wear

Interiors left open fall to bits faster, interior paint flakes off, plaster and tiles fall fast, furniture decays if left with windows broken and open to the climate.

It's interesting to look at the many photos of Pripyat on the web (Chernobyl) 30 years after this modern city was completely abandoned non-violently.

Wooden buildings need more upkeep, external wood stains and dries in sun and ice, shingles break loose if not maintained, a door left open for a year falls off its hinges, metal starts to rust (hot summers cold winters, central Euro climate). I always noticed in SA that - in real life, in abandoned wooden country buildings the doors always stick and are difficult to open, usually left wedged or sagging half way. Village gardens and streets and road borders grow thickly and are rank after 1 year, except good metalled roads.

In cities grass starts growing in the streets, in paving cracks, gutters, around posts and drains after 1st year, could be strongly noticeable after a few years, dust collects, windblown. This gives the uninhabited look more than anything else, untill trees start appearing and the roads begin to crack (long time later)

This + ∞ 

I believe in the last stream Hicks did he mentioned first they are going to get in the new towns, buildings etc then later they will add more "atmospheric" stuff to set the mood.

i think the buildings look really good, and i hope they dont change the general look  a lot, i like it as it is

but I believe the blood needs to be more intensified with red instead of looking like someone spilt their red water colour paint on the ground.

Dried blood looks black and not red.