Irish.

Would you like spawn points spread out?

Spawn points spread out?  

279 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like the player spawn points to be spread out more?

• Yes.
    • No, keep them centralized for more action.

Would you like the player spawn points to be spread out more across the map?

Discuss your thoughts and feel free to read or skip mine below.

I understand the Dev's point in having all of the spawn points localized in one area of the map and near their new towns. I also know this subject has been discussed but I have a new viewpoint I believe on how its affecting the game currently: I have noticed that this creates an issue with people sticking close to that area and upon dying simply running back to their bodies to recover the lost loot. This sort of ruins the point of even dying imo, and should only be done during a clan war or community event. When I die I log out, recover after some thought and come back later to start fresh. I feel the game would benefit greatly from spreading out the spawn points now, rather than waiting until later. In the least enable the previous spawn points we had before, and allow them all to be a random option for each new player spawning; Stary, Elektro, 3 Valleys, Berezino, Svetlojorsk, etc..

The action would still be there, just not all in one rather small part of the map. And players would rarely have the option of running back for their gear, giving more meaning to perma-death. This would also allow for deeper testing of the map areas. Perhaps the % of spawning in the NE could still be highest while needed, but there would always be the chance of spawning in one of the other previously used spawn points throughout the map?

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/24kcx3/would_you_like_player_spawn_points_spread_out/

Edited by lrish
  • Like 9

Yes, spread them more.

Reasoning: The "Berenzino Madness".

1. Over-Centralisation of Action: All the action is focussing on just one hot spot, like the last few times "Lumber Mill, around the police station". 30 bodies (25 new spawns).

2. Stupid Spawn-rushing: You died. Your body is 5 min away. You will run there to get it. That's metagaming and plainly silly.

3. New Spawn Massacre: Dozens of new spawns with nothing to lose (3 min running time) dive headlessly into the bullet hail to loot the mountain of bodies. It's unrealistic, it promotes cheap playstyles and destroys immersion. I feel like a mass murderer and psychopath when I hear: "Hey, new spawn. I bet that's the geared guy trying to get his stuff. Shoot him!"

4. New Spawn Fist Charge: Nothing is sillier than a horde of new spawns punching their way to gear. A normal human would not do it as he has practically no chance and a lot to lose (his life). A new spawn doesn't care if he only loses 3 minutes running time and the reward could be being fully geared in less than 5 mins.

5. Cheap Pvp Arena: This game is not meant to be a mindless pvp arena. Centralising spawns has made parts of the map into this.

Therefore spawn points should be spread over the complete map.
There should be 20+ points with no easy possibility to suicide and try to get closer to where you died.
Also a higher number of widely distributed spawn points would discourage the attempts to hit the right spawn point to do the corpse run.

Edited by cuddly_rabbit
  • Like 11

Yes, spawning in berezino 12 times in a row on a 40 pop server isn't a pleasant experience..

• Like 2

Well the poll is a bit misleading, the spawns aren't centralized. They never have been. They've favored certain areas, sure, but they're still dispersed (over a linear landcape, meaning the coast).

To answer the question, no. The coast should be where folks spawn. Spawning people over the map undercuts the significance/isolation of potential construction and persistent storage mechanics.

People should spawn along the entire length of the coast (as opposed to now) but they should only spawn on the coast.

• Like 7

Would you like the player spawn points to be spread out more across the map?

Discuss your thoughts and feel free to read or skip mine below.

I understand the Dev's point in having all of the spawn points localized in one area of the map and near their new towns. I also know this subject has been discussed but I have a new viewpoint I believe on how its affecting the game currently: I have noticed that this creates an issue with people sticking close to that area and upon dying simply running back to their bodies to recover the lost loot. This sort of ruins the point of even dying imo, and should only be done during a clan war or community event. When I die I log out, recover after some thought and come back later to start fresh. I feel the game would benefit greatly from spreading out the spawn points now, rather than waiting until later. In the least enable the previous spawn points we had before, and allow them all to be a random option for each new player spawning; Stary, Elektro, 3 Valleys, Berezino, Svetlojorsk, etc..

The action would still be there, just not all in one rather small part of the map. And players would rarely have the option of running back for their gear, giving more meaning to perma-death. This would also allow for deeper testing of the map areas. Perhaps the % of spawning in the NE could still be highest while needed, but there would always be the chance of spawning in one of the other previously used spawn points throughout the map?

Interesting take on this but I can't say I agree with it in terms of it being a valid reason. I could care less if people get back to their dead body and reloot it. It may as well be someone else who loots his body, I don't think that is an issue at all. Besides when bodies start to stay longer on the ground in the future, it won't matter anyway where you spawn, since you'll be able to get back to your loot before the body de-spawns, given that nobody else has looted it.

The real issue is, a high number of people being concentrated in a very small area of the map and the rest of the map being mostly deserted. I personally don't even remember the last time I visited the West side of the map, it has been so long.

• Like 1

the spawns aren't centralized. They never have been. They've favored certain areas, sure, but they're still dispersed 

Wut?  :|  ..in my experience its very centralized, and I believe that is almost everyone else's experience as well. 5 mins apart, is not enough. 

The real issue is, a high number of people being concentrated in a very small area of the map and the rest of the map being mostly deserted. I personally don't even remember the last time I visited the West side of the map, it has been so long.

This is my take exactly, but in having to post a new idea to discuss this correctly I must make my main point that people are just not playing the game properly right now. But I dont care how people play to be honest, I do care though that the map is just EMPTY unless you're in the NE. 

Edited by lrish
  • Like 3

When the game releases vehicles so friends and clans can get to each other then de-centralize spawning. Keep it on a berezihno spawn until that point because there is no fun in running 6 hours to get a decent gear set.

When the game releases vehicles so friends and clans can get to each other then de-centralize spawning. Keep it on a berezihno spawn until that point because there is no fun in running 6 hours to get a decent gear set.

6 hours!?

I could run around the entire map edge twice in that time.  :huh:

• Like 6

At the very least people should spawn all across the coastline. 

Spawning everyone on the east coast is too small of an area, especially when we get those 100 man servers.

I'm in favour of random map spawn locations.

Edited by Jeansie
  • Like 3

That doesn't even make sense. If you have everyone spawn in Berezino you will have to go somewhere else for loot because it will have no loot to begin with.

Wut?  :|  ..in my experience its very centralized, and I believe that is almost everyone else's experience as well. 5 mins apart, is not enough. 

Centralized is a misnomer. We're still spawning along a coast, not in a diffuse group based around a fixed point (i.e. a center). It may seem semantic, but it's misleading as represented in the poll. Weighted toward the east, sure. But it isn't centralized. And there are unrepresented middle grounds as well.

Like having us just spawn all along the coast, rather than just the east.

Edited by Katana67

Spread them out across the map. Who cares if we dont have vehicles. People are lazy. But yeah the berezino war sone is just plain stupid. Not against pvp but having 3/4 of the server in one city is silly. The rest of the map remains unused. All of your points are spot on.

• Like 1

I'm a pretty firm believer in spawning only on the coast.  Isn't that the DayZ lore anyway?  You're ship capsized and you ended up on the coast unsure of where you are with little on you? 

Spawning all along the coast: Definitely

Spawning inland: Nope

• Like 3

6 hours!?

I could run around the entire map edge twice in that time.  :huh:

I know right?? if I spend 6 hours gearing up I did it on purpose... otherwise I get geared up reasonably well rather quickly (of course it all depends on what I plan to do with that spawn). I will spend a ton of time just looking at stuff too so there have been times when its taken me days to gear up but that's all on me.

SPREAD 'EM!!!

Make use of our new interiors. Spawn us in random buildings. Imagine spawning into one of the apartments in a town, or a church at night. Pretty cool.

• Like 6

SPREAD 'EM!!!

Make use of our new interiors. Spawn us in random buildings. Imagine spawning into one of the apartments in a town, or a church at night. Pretty cool.

I actually like the idea of spawning in a house, like you just woke up from being knocked out or something.  

And yeah, the spawns are focused on the east coast.  Out of all the times I have died in the past week or so, I have only ever spawned on the east coast, no farther south than the Factory.  When I die, I tend to run to the NWAF, gearing up along the way.  DayZ is about surviving, not whatever the hell you want to call whats happening in Berenzino. and the rest of the east coast.

• Like 3

As long as people are killing themselves for better spawn points, heck no.

Edited by Dallas

like i don't think even coast spawns. We NEED spawns that are inland to REALLY throw ppl off there survival game. Iv been on the coast so much i know where every major landmark is that can tell me where exactly i am at times.

• Like 1

Even with inland spawns you could change the lore.

1) Your squad was ambushed by bandits and taken prisoner. You managed to escape and are now lost.

2) Your camp was attacked by the infected. You alone made it out.

3) You have been travelling since the infection started.

Let's not start changing DayZ lore here.  It's been around for over 2 years!  While I admit your ideas are pretty good I still am an "only spawn on the coast" guy.  I remember playing for a long time with the same character, gearing up, surviving firefights, only to die in one eventually.  The sound of the waves once you respawned was devastating.  Even worse if the guy that just killed you at NWAF tells you to "Enjoy the beach!".  Then you started the long trek North again.  Spawning on the coast used to be a bad thing and I hope the mentality eventually gets there again.

• Like 1

Let's not start changing DayZ lore here.  It's been around for over 2 years!  While I admit your ideas are pretty good I still am an "only spawn on the coast" guy.  I remember playing for a long time with the same character, gearing up, surviving firefights, only to die in one eventually.  The sound of the waves once you respawned was devastating.  Even worse if the guy that just killed you at NWAF tells you to "Enjoy the beach!".  Then you started the long trek North again.  Spawning on the coast used to be a bad thing and I hope the mentality eventually gets there again.

You could always have a chance of spawning at Novy...

So, point is moot lore wise.

You could always have a chance of spawning at Novy...

So, point is moot lore wise.

That dreaded Novy spawn got me!

I was just saying it could change lol. I wouldn't mind spawning on the coast if it was the entire coast. And maybe a wait timer if you die within 10 minutes of spawning so people wouldn't kill themselves until they had a spawn closer to Elektro, Cherno, etc.

Yes.  Entire coast.  Otherwise it doesn't work as well.  Anywhere from North of Svetlo to West of Kamenka.  I do get your side of spawning across the whole map though and honestly it wouldn't kill my experience so whatever the spawns end up being I'll still be playing.

• Like 1

Everyone should spawn inside a supermarket filled with axes at night time.

So much this. 

Also axes should have a rail for flashlights.. so everyone looks really cool inside the market swinging 'em around.

• Like 1

The coast should be where folks spawn. Spawning people over the map undercuts the significance/isolation of potential construction and persistent storage mechanics.

People should spawn along the entire length of the coast (as opposed to now) but they should only spawn on the coast.

I completely agree.  The linear progression of onwards and upwards in DayZ is a key element.  Moving away from the coast should present more danger and risk, yet offer the promise of more rewards in the form of better weapons and gear.  The mod nailed this with the military loot hot spots at Stary and NWAF.  Venturing there was dangerous and risky, but often well worth it in the end.  Death meant starting back at the beginning.  When you die near the coast it's no big deal, but losing your treasured gear when you're a 20 min run away from the spawn points is a much bigger deal.

Unfortunately SA has failed to create this environment.  There's no incentive to go North/West.

• Like 2

For the love of all that is holy. 

Make the spawns ANYWHERE on the map. Completely random town. Spawn inside of a house, inside the forest.

That could possibly make it a possibility for any town to have someone. Most of the towns on the western side of the map are always empty. 

• Like 5