mithrawndo

How To Land

A very simple, short and sweet suggestion: Add the ability to control your landing.

In real life when you drop down from a few meters up you can tuck and roll to allow the force of your inertia (multiplied by gravity) to be spread out. Parkour enthusiasts will attest to this; bend the knees, roll through your shoulder to the opposing hip and you can be back up on your feet and running after quite a long drop - as much as two stories even!

01.jpg

In DayZ, a drop of 2m is enough to incapacitate you (as you just fall like a stone). This is perfectly authentic as if I landed like that in the real world, I'd certainly sprain my ankle if not worse. What I'd like to see is very simple, inspired by the mechanic Minecraft used to allow you to "stick" to the platform you were walking on.

• Hold down shift (walk)
  • Walk off side of a single storey building (still holding shift)
  • Upon landing (assuming you're still holding shift!), your character will perform a roll before returning to the standing position

This would enable players to comfortably drop from small heights (up to a single storey - approximately 2 metres, for the sake of balance as much as anything) without fear of destroying gear and/or damaging themselves but, without removing the risk. It's also reasonably authentic to the circumstances of falling: The player will panic upon falling and lunge for the landing control key - just as your heart would be in your throat in real life if you fell from two storeys (you might not be able to react in time to land gracefully!). As a player learns the game they will start to spend more time walking when at risk of falling, just as in real life many people become more cautious when at heights.

This landing animation could take as much as four or five seconds to play out (preventing further action on the player's behalf until it's completion), and could be accompanied by a loud thud, a rustle of clothing and even a grunt from the character - alerting anyone nearby that someone has just dropped from above. When in first person view, the camera would spin around, disorienting the player until they have become accustomed to it - again, quite authentic to my mind.

Edit - Thanks to Scrubbie_McNoob: Your gear should play a role in how well this system works. If you had backpack, this could slow the speed of the animation and increase the chances of injury. If you have a weapon, it could again increase your chance of injury and risk damaging the weapon. With the addition of the physics system it becomes feasible for you to be on a roof, throw your backpack, gun and melee weapon off the roof to the floor and drop down yourself. High quality footwear could also help reduce the chance of injury.

Thanks for reading. Your thoughts and criticisms are most welcome.

Edited by Mithrawndo
  • Like 8

I actually like this a lot. Now if someone could figure out a way to keep from regularly breaking legs on ladders I would be elated. I swear I have climbed ladders my whole life without ever breaking my leg. Why have I broken a leg twice in two days doing it? Seriously though, I like that you came up with an option that doesn't just instantly work out. Sure it saves the broken leg, but adds a lot of noise, disorientation and probably poor aim as well as the inability to take further actions. That seems pretty well balanced to me.

A great idea, and releasing shift too soon = flat on your back, borked leg/ankle etc. Its a good idea, simple, effective and realistic. Surely one for the dev box id say. 

It's a good idea, although I think if you had stuff on your back you should get injured and the axe/gun/backpack should also get damaged.

Jump,drop and roll should be a thing.

They are functions that would change alot in DayZ.

I think if you had stuff on your back you should get injured and the axe/gun/backpack should also get damaged.

Agreed, your gear should play a role in how well this system works. If you had backpack, this could slow the speed of the animation and increase the chances of injury. If you have a weapon, it could again increase your chance of injury and risk damaging the weapon. With the addition of the physics system it becomes feasible for you to be on a roof, throw your backpack, gun and melee weapon off the roof to the floor and drop down yourself. High quality footwear would also reduce the chances of injury.

It's a very elegant addition to such a system, and I thank you for your input :)

pretty nice idea. but i cant still imagine how would it look with big backpack and allot of military gear. like vests and stuff like that

pretty nice idea. but i cant still imagine how would it look with big backpack and allot of military gear. like vests and stuff like that

From the original post:

Your gear should play a role in how well this system works. If you had backpack, this could slow the speed of the animation and increase the chances of injury. If you have a weapon, it could again increase your chance of injury and risk damaging the weapon. With the addition of the physics system it becomes feasible for you to be on a roof, throw your backpack, gun and melee weapon off the roof to the floor and drop down yourself.

Good idea, but as always it will brings more - bugs/lags error 3000, and other shit, because developers can't even fix damn textures, floor is still only for player, not for zombie or items in some places, dafuq i am talking about?Everyone know that's we have tons of bugs overhere, which one just do not solving, instead they add items that does not work, instead of fixing problems that we already have, it's like making a house without good foundation, how someone allow to release new patch with new items if you did not fixed those things which one was added before? Who will fix them? Me? Or maybe those dudes who posted in that thread?

UPD.1. If i will not continue to say that here on forums, idk who the hell will tell that to developers, because i see no result for a long time, even no news about work on those issues

Edited by Electi

Good idea, but as always it will brings more - bugs/lags error 3000, and other shit, because developers can't even fix damn textures, floor is still only for player, not for zombie or items in some places, dafuq i am talking about?Everyone know that's we have tons of bugs overhere, which one just do not solving, instead they add items that does not work, instead of fixing problems that we already have, it's like making a house without good foundation, how someone allow to release new patch with new items if you did not fixed those things which one was added before? Who will fix them? Me? Or maybe those dudes who posted in that thread?

UPD.1. If i will not continue to say that here on forums, idk who the hell will tell that to developers, because i see no result for a long time, even no news about work on those issues

DayZ is in it's Alpha development stage. This means that for the most part, the only development we see is the addition of more features. Once the developers are happy that the project is feature-complete, we move on to the Beta development stage, where the primary function is to address the problems created in the Alpha stage - in other words, handling bugs. Software development isn't all that similar to building a house. To continue the analogy though, it's entirely possible to lift the house off the ground, tear up the foundations and rebuild them without damaging the house itself.

For clarification, this Wikipedia entry has details of what to expect whilst the game is in alpha. TL;DR? Expect more bugs without fixes for a long time to come, and expect more features to be added long before any bugs are fixed!

• Like 1

Do not invade random suggestions with your off-topic ramblings, do it again and you will get suspended.

Please spend a little while reading up on how game development works, then a little on how forums work.

Enough.

If you have a problem with this you can send me a PM, but stay out of this thread.

Now, topic.

• Like 1

Interesting idea. I think it'd probably have pretty limited applications, however, even if it were to be implemented.

If you simply walk off the side of a building then your forward momentum won't be sufficient to facilitate a roll, thus you'll fall straight down. If you were to, say, sprint off of a roof then you'd be able to roll.

Hell, you can see it in Mirror's edge. If you fall straight down you'll likely hurt yourself.

However, I do think that changes to fall damage need to be made - and animations showing your character attempting to negate fall damage (like bending legs/ rolling/ etc) would really help immersion.