Sign in to follow this  
No One Knows

A fix for Zombie Spawn.

1st of all, sorry for my english, is not my native language.

2nd: its probably that no one will read this as its not in general discussion :P

Introduction:

The other day i was thinking about how to solve the spawn problem of zombies (spawn, not the broken core of them)

Would be nice if they spawn at server reset inside cities, then when someone kill them they start to respawn outside the town and they slowly walk back again into the city. Fixing first the 1 mile detect radius, setting it at 200/300m at daylight and 50/600m at night (50 in the shadows, 600 if they watch a moving light source).

In that way you can "clean" a town knowing that for a few minutes you are in the clear to loot safely. But if you are taking too much time the zombies will come back again to bite you in the ass. Also can be an indicator if there are players inside a town.

How it works:

I'll use Svetlo to make an example:

ak7v51.jpg

It can be done with variations, example: if you kill 1 zombie, 1 or 2 spawn outside, or there is a chance to spawn a horde (5 or 7).

Muh Realism check:

"but why zombies comes from outside the town" the explanation could be "as when you kill zombies you make sounds that attract new zeds"

This only cover the town spawns. But i guess is a fair solution, im not a programmer but i used others editors and i guess it wouldnt be that hard to set spawn zones for zombies.

Right now the spawn zone are the entire cities, including buildings (thats why they are at rooftops).

Possible problem with this spawn system and the solution:

Maybe some people would go to towns just to kill zombies, making the spawn rate increase without limits. So a variable limit of max zeds will be obligatory.

Example: if the town spawn 25/30 zombies at server restart. Killing zombies could respawn a max zombies between 40/70 zeds.

About forest spawns / Player bases (in the future)

About the base building i think that will be a different spawn sector, like forests or places away from cities as i really don't think that someone will make a base close to a city.

So for the forest can be in the following way:

Zombies that spawn (only if there is someone in the proximity, lets say 1 mile) in the forests and they will roam a limited zone, see below:

Elektrotest.jpg

As we can see the red square its the spawn point, these spawn points could be randomly at the entire map like if they were as in the mod the crashed helis in order to not saturate the server.

And from these spawns zombies start roam, but not too many, lets say 2 / 4 zombies, and they will be facing randomly.

From my days sniping NEAF (sorry serverhoppers :P) i could saw that certain zombies were doing a path, lets say roam like 100/200m in a straight line then went from point A to B all day until they detect someone.

So i think that the roam thing is possible thats why i mentioned. They will roam from the spawn point, lets suppose that the zed saw a guy running inside his base, then the zed will go directly to the base.
If the base its closed it will attack the base. If its open, it will enter to attack the player. (here will be involved the core of pathmaking of zeds)

Some variations to spice things as you said would be that when you kill 1 zed in the vecinity of your base, instantly from the spawn point many more zeds will spawn facing directly to the base. And only after clearing this "wave" of zeds the spawn point (the red square) will stop spawning zeds (in order to avoid the game to convert to only "a defense tower")

Also zeds won't attack a base if they don't see a player to begin with.

In addition in order to avoid problems like "player A found a base, so he agro zeds on purpose and throw them at the base of player B" the only way that zeds will start attacking the base of player B would be if zeds saw player B.

I think that this is a really cool idea and not too difficult to implement, is all about the spawn zones. And that zombies attack bases would be a great idea for bases durability in order to constantly mantain it and giving a purpouse to the game.

The only point that may cause problems like i said its the pathing when they attack bases, but it would be the same as when they start to chase players, so sooner or later this must be solved.

Hope someone of the staff find this useful.

Edited by No One Knows
  • Like 8

This is exactly what I've been thinking about.

Brings also up the point when base building gets implemented, a small group would be able to hold off a small location, whilst a bigger group can hold off a small village. (Setting up walls, and defending them when a lot of zombies starts to claw at the wall and a lot of zombies will eventually break it down if left unguarded).

Inspiration: Woodbury.

Edited by Survivor_Ted
  • Like 1

This is exactly what I've been thinking about.

Brings also up the point when base building gets implemented, a small group would be able to hold off a small location, whilst a bigger group can hold off a small village. (Setting up walls, and defending them when a lot of zombies starts to claw at the wall and a lot of zombies will eventually break it down if left unguarded).

Inspiration: Woodbury.

About the base building i think that will be a different spawn sector, like forests or places away from cities as i really don't think that someone will make a base close to a city.

So for the forest can be in the following way:

Zombies that spawn (only if there is someone in the proximity, lets say 1 mile) in the forests and they will roam a limited zone, see below:

Elektrotest.jpg

As we can see the red square its the spawn point, these spawn points could be randomly at the entire map like if they were as in the mod the crashed helis in order to not saturate the server.

And from these spawns zombies start roam, but not too many, lets say 2 / 4 zombies, and they will be facing randomly.

From my days sniping NEAF (sorry serverhoppers :P) i could saw that certain zombies were doing a path, lets say roam like 100/200m in a straight line then went from point A to B all day until they detect someone.

So i think that the roam thing is possible thats why i mentioned. They will roam from the spawn point, lets suppose that the zed saw a guy running inside his base, then the zed will go directly to the base.

If the base its closed it will attack the base. If its open, it will enter to attack the player. (here will be involved the core of pathmaking of zeds)

Some variations to spice things as you said would be that when you kill 1 zed in the vecinity of your base, instantly from the spawn point many more zeds will spawn facing directly to the base. And only after clearing this "wave" of zeds the spawn point (the red square) will stop spawning zeds (in order to avoid the game to convert to only "a defense tower")

Also zeds won't attack a base if they don't see a player to begin with.

In addition in order to avoid problems like "player A found a base, so he agro zeds on purpose and throw them at the base of player B" the only way that zeds will start attacking the base of player B would be if zeds saw player B.

I think that this is a really cool idea and not too difficult to implement, is all about the spawn zones. And that zombies attack bases would be a great idea for bases durability in order to constantly mantain it and giving a purpouse to the game.

The only point that may cause problems like i said its the pathing when they attack bases, but it would be the same as when they start to chase players, so sooner or later this must be solved.

As i liked your point and my develop, i'll edit my first post with this info, tks Ted! :P

Edited by No One Knows
  • Like 1

i like it, beans for you  :thumbsup:  :beans:

I remember Dean talking about this idea months ago in one of his devblogs or at some expo or on livestream. (That tehnically when you clear out a town from zombies, they will start spawing around it and moving towards the town)

I remember Dean talking about this idea months ago in one of his devblogs or at some expo or on livestream. (That tehnically when you clear out a town from zombies, they will start spawing around it and moving towards the town)

Really? ouch, anyway is not only the idea, it shows a way to instrument these ideas into the game (sight detection, base building, zed paths, forest spawns, and more without asking to add more hats or things that would break the game even more).

Try to read the entire thing in my broken english lol.

Edited by No One Knows

Really? ouch, anyway is not only the idea, it shows a way to instrument these ideas into the game (sight detection, base building, zed paths, forest spawns, and more without asking to add more hats or things that would break the game even more).

Try to read the entire thing in my broken english lol.

Yea, I know, I read your post. I mostly ment with my comment that this idea in particular might have a pretty good chance of being implemented into the game.