raynor009

PDA's and stashes

So meanwhile I was playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Lost Alpha last night I was thinking about how beneficial PDA's in DayZ could be. One of it of course is GPS and the ability to see your characters exact position on the map. And while we talk about GPS, another cool thing would be GPS tracked stashes. So basically the idea is if you have 2 PDA's you could make them connect with each other and then put one in a backpack for example, so then you drop the backpack with one of the PDA's inside it and using the PDA GPS you could track its position. This also opens the door to communication, if other players in lets say a range of 1km or something like that has a PDA you could send him a message or create a waypoint on the map so you could meet him or share the cuordinates of the stash you just made. The PDA could also have a built in camera so you can take in-game screenshots or capture short demos. The PDA could also be used as a diary and if the player dies and someone else gets his PDA they could transfer his journal to theirs.

dayz_pda_concept.png
I made this as a concept only, and I didn't put much effort into it.

I used this image as reference

pic1.jpg
free picture upload

Edited by raynor009
  • Like 2

Who the fuck uses a PDA anymore?

• Like 2

Who the fuck uses a PDA anymore?

The military.

So...it's a zombie apocalypse and we all have fancy electronic devices with working satellites for GPS....um ok.

And I suppose the zermbies are working these satellites?

Edited by DayZ_Friendly

i prefer the low-tech approach the game currently has.

we also have no established lore regarding the scope of the apocalypse. if the whole civilized world is afflicted (which seems a reasonable assumption as we have no indication of help/communication from outside) then we can assume the gps ground stations lost power within months (considering hydro/emergency power) and then the satellite positioning systems would deteriorate within days or weeks at best without the ground stations providing constant corrections for clock offsets.

Paper/pen = poor mans PDA

Poof, pda is already implimented.

Not sure about the paired PDA idea, but being able to store GPS coordinates in ... well a GPS would be nice. You could mark rendez-vous points, stashes and so on. And the next person to "inherit" of that pda would obviously be able to access the stored coordinates that where on it.

Endless hours of fun...... :D

So meanwhile I was playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Lost Alpha last night I was thinking about how beneficial PDA's in DayZ could be. One of it of course is GPS and the ability to see your characters exact position on the map. And while we talk about GPS, another cool thing would be GPS tracked stashes. So basically the idea is if you have 2 PDA's you could make them connect with each other and then put one in a backpack for example, so then you drop the backpack with one of the PDA's inside it and using the PDA GPS you could track its position. This also opens the door to communication, if other players in lets say a range of 1km or something like that has a PDA you could send him a message or create a waypoint on the map so you could meet him or share the cuordinates of the stash you just made. The PDA could also have a built in camera so you can take in-game screenshots or capture short demos. The PDA could also be used as a diary and if the player dies and someone else gets his PDA they could transfer his journal to theirs.

Concerning your post,i think it would be a nicer aproach if we had like 50 paged notebooks for journals.

Also the ability to tear of pages.About the stashes,i would really love to see,scatered notes with coordinates

to the supposed stashes in a random house and with the help of the gps track them down and find the loot.

They need a system to make them spawn in a random house though,because experienced players will always know where to look.

Not sure about the paired PDA idea, but being able to store GPS coordinates in ... well a GPS would be nice. You could mark rendez-vous points, stashes and so on. And the next person to "inherit" of that pda would obviously be able to access the stored coordinates that where on it.

Nice idea and absolutely base-level feature on all commercial and military GPS devices.

Nice idea and absolutely base-level feature on all commercial and military GPS devices.

I did like the old Arma GPS that only gave you your coordinates and didn't really have any other display, it made maps a natural complement to it. Such a "coord only" GPS would be interesting in my book, with a simple "set/reset" function for a handful of recorded positions (it could then show a simplistic compass that point toward the set target).

Sure that could work as well. I was just trying to come up with more features and make it more useful and interesting that's all :D

It could indeed potentially substitute for a map rather than having to find lots of tourist guides of small segments of Chernarus.

Let's say you have the option by right-clicking the item in your inventory to "Turn On" and "Turn Off" the PDA. It'd be cool also to see the PDA require batteries and often warn you with a small buzz that the PDA is running out of battery; in order to get this there could be a chat message say "You feel a slight buzz signalling your PDA is almost out of battery."

To insert a new battery, just drag the battery into the PDA and it should refill.

I also came up with a small concept using your image (which I hope you don't mind) about maybe a "damaged variant" which can be found below:

dayz_pda_concept_cracked_zps91f784e5.png

I decided to attempt making a version which was cracked, but also turned off. Again, as seen below;

dayz_pda_concept_OFFwithCrack_zps7b11c61

Edited by EnergeticSheep
  • Like 1

It could indeed potentially substitute for a map rather than having to find lots of tourist guides of small segments of Chernarus.

Let's say you have the option by right-clicking the item in your inventory to "Turn On" and "Turn Off" the PDA. It'd be cool also to see the PDA require batteries and often warn you with a small buzz that the PDA is running out of battery; in order to get this there could be a chat message say "You feel a slight buzz signalling your PDA is almost out of battery."

To insert a new battery, just drag the battery into the PDA and it should refill.

I also came up with a small concept using your image (which I hope you don't mind) about maybe a "damaged variant" which can be found below:

dayz_pda_concept_cracked_zps91f784e5.png

I decided to attempt making a version which was cracked, but also turned off. Again, as seen below;

dayz_pda_concept_OFFwithCrack_zps7b11c61

Its all good. I like how you did the turned off version.

• Like 1