Sign in to follow this  
barnabus

Running from zeds

So with the axe and other melee weapons currently nerfed here are some no brainer things folks can do to avoid zeds.  It is pretty simple, they don't run all that fast and they run in straight lines.  Take advantage of this.  You need to run in a serpentine fashion, do not run up hill, you can run in circles occasionally too but have a good reason for doing that. 

1. If you are on the coast and near docks just run around the docks and place water between you and the zed, it will fall off the dock chasing you.  Sometimes they die if they fall far enough and sometimes they just walk around underwater, making them true zombies because even infected humans still have to breathe.  Same goes for zeds that spawn on a roof or on a high place (haven't seen them do that much but I have seen it).  Just agro them and they will fall to their death chasing you.

2.  Get them to chase you down hill, they will try to do the zed leap, when they miss they die.

3.  If they clip through the walls of a building or a stair case you can still use the axe and do serious damage to them, sometimes even one hit them in the head.  Stay above them on the stairs and swing away till you connect with zed flesh.  Exploit?  Maybe, but till they get fixed from doing those things no harm in taking advantage of it I say.

There you have it some very easy things that an unequipped or even fully equipped toon can do.

• Like 1

I had a couple of them run towards me and then suddenly die; I was on a slight slope (not a hill), so maybe #2 came into effect. At any rate, I was glad I didn't have to swing my axe. I also had 2 of them chasing me at the same time, lunging at me and hitting me from about 10 feet away, over and over again; I finally decided to do a couple of circles around them, and then keep running, and that seemed to get them off of my back. I currently have a broken arm that I've been fumbling around in the dark trying to find some morphine to fix, caused by another couple of zombies I fought at the same time; in hindsight I should have just run away, but at least I'm still alive (and the extreme pain of my fractured arm seems to have eliminated any sense of pain I had in my leg previously). So yeah, I would definitely try to avoid them if at all possible. If you're trying to explore an area, and you need to clear any zombies that may be there out so you don't get waylaid unexpectedly, I suggest luring them away and circling back; BUT, if you have a decent weapon (which, at this point, is either a fire axe or a gun) and think you can take them, then go for it. Just don;t b surprised if you need bandages and morphine afterwards.

I am finally having fun with zombies. I love the fact that you must hit them in the head to kill. Also love the fact that everybody is complaining(whining ^^) about zombs. I had about 10-12 zombs on me at the same time in Cherno yesterday. They didn't even hit me once BUT then, as I was looting the firestation, one has spawned right behind me and that mafaka did managed to hit me!

It's much more interesting now because you will have to watch out and it brings more PvE into the game instead of simply killing other people, what so many are complaining about. There is not much to do but killing other players. Now you guys can't simply do that, you have to watch for zombies and they are a problem now, but not for everybody. It's all about your skill.

I am rly enjoying to read how you guys can't handle the zombs :D Hate me now

Edited by MetapoliC
  • Like 3

I've found the best for me are well-timed side steps and a clout to the head repeated over.  Doing this normally avoids getting hit and means not having to run anywhere, which increases your chance of getting see, shot, or attracting even more zeds. 

Any idea why you can't run *directly* uphill? You seem to be able to run diagnoally, but it only works at certain angles. If its a sake of realism, why can't they just slow you down if you run directly uphill rather than not being allowed to do it at all. The way it is now feels odd, you can be running, then all of a sudden you will stop because you move across a peice of landscape geometry that is a fraction too steep.

I had a couple of them run towards me and then suddenly die; I was on a slight slope (not a hill), so maybe #2 came into effect. At any rate, I was glad I didn't have to swing my axe. I also had 2 of them chasing me at the same time, lunging at me and hitting me from about 10 feet away, over and over again; I finally decided to do a couple of circles around them, and then keep running, and that seemed to get them off of my back. I currently have a broken arm that I've been fumbling around in the dark trying to find some morphine to fix, caused by another couple of zombies I fought at the same time; in hindsight I should have just run away, but at least I'm still alive (and the extreme pain of my fractured arm seems to have eliminated any sense of pain I had in my leg previously). So yeah, I would definitely try to avoid them if at all possible. If you're trying to explore an area, and you need to clear any zombies that may be there out so you don't get waylaid unexpectedly, I suggest luring them away and circling back; BUT, if you have a decent weapon (which, at this point, is either a fire axe or a gun) and think you can take them, then go for it. Just don;t b surprised if you need bandages and morphine afterwards.

Get some sticks (not the ash stick)

add a bandage and you get a splint. Sticks are way easier to find than morphine.

Get some sticks (not the ash stick)

add a bandage and you get a splint. Sticks are way easier to find than morphine.

I know, but I haven't been able to find any sticks, either. Trust me, if I find any, I'm definitely making a splint. I actually found some one my new hardcore character I made last night.  <_< Couldn't take 'em, though, because I didn't have any pockets big enough. In hindsight I probably could have just carried them in my hand until I found a backpack or something. But yeah, as for my regular character with the broken arm, it probably didn't help that I was running around in the dark for the better part of an hour last night looking for either sticks or morphine. There was only 1 other person on the server, but I was still afraid to turn on my headtorch.  ^_^ So it was hard to find anything lying on the ground. At least I'm energized, hydrated and healthy, thanks to a well I found, and I have plenty of bandages, so I should be OK, as long as I don't run into some stupid KoS asshole. >:(  I think it would be cool if they implemented some mechanic where your character has a limp or is holding their arm if either are injured or broken; not such much as to really disable you (but perhaps; could add to the experience), but more of a visual indicator, so that people realize you're injured; that could actually make all the difference between someone wanting to just KoS you thinking you're a threat, or help you realizing that you just need help. Of course, an Unfriendly could use this to their advantage, perhaps, but chances are they would KoS you anyway, so it's kind of a moot point.

I am finally having fun with zombies. I love the fact that you must hit them in the head to kill. Also love the fact that everybody is complaining(whining ^^) about zombs. I had about 10-12 zombs on me at the same time in Cherno yesterday. They didn't even hit me once BUT then, as I was looting the firestation, one has spawned right behind me and that mafaka did managed to hit me!

It's much more interesting now because you will have to watch out and it brings more PvE into the game instead of simply killing other people, what so many are complaining about. There is not much to do but killing other players. Now you guys can't simply do that, you have to watch for zombies and they are a problem now, but not for everybody. It's all about your skill.

I am rly enjoying to read how you guys can't handle the zombs :D Hate me now

I like it too, and it isn't that I can't handle them; I'm just thinking that it's more logical now to try to avoid them rather than trying to fight them, because, depending on your skill level and your equipment, you may not stand a very good chance. At least the devs acknowledged that the zombies aren't supposed to be this hard intentionally, that it was a patching bug, and they'll probably adjust them later to be at least a little more manageable (I like them being a challenge, but they are honestly still a bit OP, considering 1 hit to the head with a fire axe has a lower chance of knocking them out or killing them than not; plus the fact that they can outrun you at a full sprint and hit you from 10-20m away).

Any idea why you can't run *directly* uphill? You seem to be able to run diagnoally, but it only works at certain angles. If its a sake of realism, why can't they just slow you down if you run directly uphill rather than not being allowed to do it at all. The way it is now feels odd, you can be running, then all of a sudden you will stop because you move across a peice of landscape geometry that is a fraction too steep.

It's been like that since the start; they'll probably get around to that eventually, but I think at the moment it's a lower priority. Hopefully not lower than adding shit to the game. And by shit, I do mean poop.

I know, but I haven't been able to find any sticks, either. Trust me, if I find any, I'm definitely making a splint.  

FYI the splint takes up 3 slots whereas the sticks take up only 2 so it might be worth keeping the sticks separate because you can have a stack of 6 rags and/or keep them in a first aid box until needed.  

For Morphine, focus on schools rather than hospitals, typically ground floor storerooms. I come across one every other day in non-looted areas.

I've found the best for me are well-timed side steps and a clout to the head repeated over.  Doing this normally avoids getting hit and means not having to run anywhere, which increases your chance of getting see, shot, or attracting even more zeds. 

+1. I was curious to see what to expect after the patch. I actually prefer them this way since they're a bit more of a worry for other players so they could be a helpful distraction if you catch the attention of a bandit.

Circle of death works every time. Zeds will predict motion so moving in a straight line forward, back, even sideways when they are about to start an attack will get you hit. You need to significantly change your position relative to their facing as they are starting an attack, then by attacking the position you just left, you can land a blow on them. Sometimes you can circled behind them and they just try and turn around to find you, without attacking. The only change you need to make now is to simply get in the habbit of aiming high (head level or a tad higher) and ensuring that they're dead if they go down. Axes aren't a guaranteed kill on a head, I've knocked a few out. I've killed a couple dozen since the patch and I get the occasional hit landed on me, usually a glitch/lag issue, only drew blood once so far. Main thing with Zeds is that if they seem to glitch out, get stuck, or keep running off past you, *don't* stand still, chase them, or turn your attention. They often "snap" back, so keep evading and pretty soon they will be heading back after you.

• Like 1

Circling also helps if they are sprinting after you; if you circle around them, they slow down or stop to change direction, and when they start chasing you again, they're only moving at jogging speed. I have one attack me in a firehouse and, while I was fighting him, he glitched out and got stuck in the corner by the shelves, so I just ran off and left him there.  :lol:

I put some stuff for beginners about running away from zeds - and getting the better of them, at:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/182234-post-patch-zombie-feedback/page-50#entry1939725

but you heard most of this here in this thread already

One thing though - dont try to fight zombies indoors. If you hear them coming while you're inside looting - decide STRAIGHT AWAY if you want to fight or run, if you're going to run get your hands empty so you can run fast - start running.

If you're going to fight, get outside the house into a space. Get your weapon up.  Fight them there.

If you try to fight inside the house they come in and out through the walls, turn round inside the walls, so you can never keep on top of them to hit them, and you can't see where they're coming from, and they hit through the walls too. So fight in an open space - you have a lot better chance.

xx

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

I put some stuff for beginners about running away from zeds - and getting the better of them, at:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/182234-post-patch-zombie-feedback/page-50#entry1939725

but you heard most of this here in this thread already

One thing though - dont try to fight zombies indoors. If you hear them coming while you're inside looting - decide STRAIGHT AWAY if you want to fight or run, if you're going to run get your hands empty so you can run fast - start running.

If you're going to fight, get outside the house into a space. Get your weapon up. Fight them there.

If you try to fight inside the house they come in and out through the walls, turn round inside the walls, so you can never keep on top of them to hit them, and you can't see where they're coming from, and they hit through the walls too. So fight in an open space - you have a lot better chance.

xx

I've run upstairs in tech buildings and had them attack me through the ceiling and break my legs. Yeah, get OUTSIDE. That was at NEAF and it sucked hard. Edited by Barnabus

+1. I was curious to see what to expect after the patch. I actually prefer them this way since they're a bit more of a worry for other players so they could be a helpful distraction if you catch the attention of a bandit.

Circle of death works every time. Zeds will predict motion so moving in a straight line forward, back, even sideways when they are about to start an attack will get you hit. You need to significantly change your position relative to their facing as they are starting an attack, then by attacking the position you just left, you can land a blow on them. Sometimes you can circled behind them and they just try and turn around to find you, without attacking. The only change you need to make now is to simply get in the habbit of aiming high (head level or a tad higher) and ensuring that they're dead if they go down. Axes aren't a guaranteed kill on a head, I've knocked a few out. I've killed a couple dozen since the patch and I get the occasional hit landed on me, usually a glitch/lag issue, only drew blood once so far. Main thing with Zeds is that if they seem to glitch out, get stuck, or keep running off past you, *don't* stand still, chase them, or turn your attention. They often "snap" back, so keep evading and pretty soon they will be heading back after you.

Yes: Fighting zombs I just keep the forward button pressed All the time, and use the mouse to circle and circle always keep coming back right on top of the zombie and hitting it, that way you are always changing your angle to them. If they get lined up on you for 1 second from any distance, close or far, they hit. You can do the same with 2 or 3 as long as you always move and turn. Sokak has it sorted I think.

I just heard today that a bayonet is good because you can punch them straight in the head with it, hardly any risk of missing -  I never tried that, I thought fireaxe or pitchfork were the best (pitchfork good!), but things change?

Edited by pilgrim

The axe nerf in the current build is actually a bug, when .45 gets published it will go away, however, this appears to only affect the axe, the pitchfork and hoe were still nerfed in .45, at least as far as I can tell, experimental is down right now so I can't tell for sure.  When it comes back up I suspect it'll be .46 by then.

+1 for moving outdoors. 2nd floor is no safety as I've seen them "swim" up through the floor and still be able to hit you. Axes are very risky indoors because they can hit nearby walls and such, My guess is a bayonet/knife would be more effective due to the stabbing motion.  Outdoors is best, but be wary if in a populated town because someone may spot you dancing with the zed especially now that it can take a bit longer to clean them off.

+1 for moving outdoors. 2nd floor is no safety as I've seen them "swim" up through the floor and still be able to hit you. Axes are very risky indoors because they can hit nearby walls and such, My guess is a bayonet/knife would be more effective due to the stabbing motion.  Outdoors is best, but be wary if in a populated town because someone may spot you dancing with the zed especially now that it can take a bit longer to clean them off.

This shows a zomb jumping on me FROM the first floor, as an example that you can't expect them to act fair all the time..

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/182234-post-patch-zombie-feedback/?view=findpost&p=1923675

xx

Edited by pilgrim