Sign in to follow this  
akafugitive

eating/drinking/bandaging and how to create cancel action.

So here is my suggestion to fix the whole not being able to stop yourself mid action.

So from what I have seen the problem comes from the whole length of the animation being only 1 animation that is not able to be stopped after being played.

My solution is to split and shorten the animations, then play them on a loop, that way stopping the animation will just interrupt the loop from continuing.

For example:

Pulling a can of food into your hand is one animation.

"Start eating" would begin the loop; each time the hand pulls food from the can to your mouth would be the full animation sequence using 5% of the food at a time. The sequence would automatically loop until empty, stomach is full, interrupted. "Eat all" would not be necessary, just start and stop action.

Drinking from a water source would work the same as above. Each time you bring your cupped hand to your mouth would be the looped animation.

Drinking water bottle could work similar. Opening the bottle would be one animation, each gulp would be the looped animation, closing the bottle would be the last animation.

Bandaging would be every complete circle the bandage makes around the arm is the looped animation, if each loop used 5% of the bandage, interruption before bandaging was finished would mean the wound was not dressed properly and will continue to bleed at the loss of the supplies.

This would also solve the audio que not matching up with the animation, because instead of one animation of shoveling food to your mouth 10 times with an audio que, the same animation would play 10 times in a row with an audio que at the end. This would line up the sounds with the animation correctly.

Anyone who has setup sequenced macros knows what I'm talking about.

Edited by akafugitive
  • Like 2

Someone, I forgot who, posted a pic on Reddit, (one of the devs) of a picture where he's cancelling an action, so it's gonna work.

I'd like to have a cancelling action. At times when I'm bandaging myself and a person comes around, I can't do anything to react to what that person is going to do whether it'd be handcuffing or just straight up shooting me in the head.

Interesting suggestion. I think that you should also maybe hold down a button to start bandaging / eating drinking (rather than spamming clicks rapidly) and it cancels if you let go early. Like bandaging in The Last of Us, Left 4 Dead and so forth.

• Like 1

I like your longer sequences too, the 5% will make thing s a little longer and more relaistic.

• Like 1

Caneling actions has already been confirmed by a developer, not in the way you described though

Yeh, I've seen a Tweet with a screenie of that feature. However, it's part of the action menu when right clicking on something.

Interesting suggestion. I think that you should also maybe hold down a button to start bandaging / eating drinking (rather than spamming clicks rapidly) and it cancels if you let go early. Like bandaging in The Last of Us, Left 4 Dead and so forth.

I like this, goes with my idea for reloading

Controls when you have a can of food in your hand could be like this:

(Raise Weapon) no change, toggles raise/lower

(Mouse 2) toggle eat/throw stance - eat stance, same as now. Throw held up at the shoulder

(Mouse 1) action based on stance - holding down the button will throw further or continually eat till released or container is empty.

Wouldn't need the action menu to perform these actions anymore

Edited by akafugitive

Caneling actions has already been confirmed by a developer, not in the way you described though

I wonder how it will be handled though. Will canceling an animation like eating behave as if you never started, regardless of how late into the animation you were when you cancled