Greenjellie

Story: Night in all it's glory

I'm standing on the second floor of a building in a small coastal town, staring out the window at the sea.

It's starting to get dark outside, which gives the image an almost romantic look.

At that moment I spot a hideous green bandana, lying on the bed next to the window I'm standing at and I decide to try it on,

just for the laughs. I take of my headtorch (which I found earlier today together with a canteen) and put on the bandana.

I look at myself in the mirror: hideous, as promised. I laugh a little and turn around to take back the headtorch I dropped and be on my way.

But where did I leave it.. I start looking around the room slowly trying to spot it, but in vain.

My headtorch (and my only battery) is gone. At that moment the evening loses all of its romantic appeal to me.

I need to find light, and I need to find it fast.

I run out the front door and start bursting doors of other houses like a madman. Every time I leave a building the sky is darker than the last time

and I start to panic: none of the houses have any source of light. Not even a battery lying around, or a gas cannister, nothing to give me hope.

I have checked all the houses in this town and it has become night, not evening, not sunset, night in all it's glory.

I run onto the street that leads from coastal town to coastal town and decide to just follow it until I get to the next town,

as I could see the silhouette of the roof of a far away house in the distance right before it got completely dark.

With the best of my ability I manage to stay on the road but by the time I reach the new town it's dark, so dark.

I can't even see the house anymore, although I'm almost 100% sure it's right in front of me.

I turn my eyes to the sea and see a pier. I stand there for a moment:

on the road I can barely see, in front of a town I can't see at all, next to a mountain I can't see.

All I see is a pier, and I give up.

I walk to the pier, stumbling over fences that I don't notice until my knee hits them,

and walk up it.

I walk to the end, turn around and sit down. Looking at the small part of the pier that I can make out in front of me

(thank god the sea reflects the moonlight) and how it disappears into the darkness.

I sit there for quite some time, hungry, wet (try getting up a pier when it's pitch dark) and utterly calm: I'm ready to die here.

After some time, my survival instinct seems to kick in because I lose my calm completely.

I can't die like this, not after making it this far. I stand up and run back to the coast, I make my way back to the street and try to get into the house that I know is there.

Slamming my hand against the walls, hoping to find a door, but I don't. I keep on trying but the complete darkness (now that I'm at the roadside of the building,

I can't even see the sea anymore) kills my nerves and I start shouting.

"Anyone hear me? ANYONE? HELP ME!"

Footsteps. I'm sure of it. I hear them coming closer. I keep on shouting, knowing very well that all odds are against me and I probably just gave a bandit an easy prey.

A light flashes on. Right into my eyes.

I'm blinded completely, but I know someone is looking at me. I lift my farming hoe, to show him I'm not going down without a fight,

while I tell the light how I lost my headtorch and beg for help.

Someone walks into the light and looks at me. I can't make out what he's holding, but I'm quite certain the person is armed.

He doesn't say a word but just looks at me, while his friend shines at me with his light.

And then they talk: they ask me to stick with them until we find some light for me.

I'm saved. I live.

• Like 1

And then they turn around and shoot you. Lol I'm glad you found a friendly (for now... Dun dun dunnn!)

• Like 2

Really enjoyed reading that. Thanks for sharing.