blackmauser95

major bugs and glitches that should have priority over other things.

so this thread is for compiling a list of all bugs, and or glitches that we (the players/alpha testers) believe should be fixed before anything else.  i always see the updates of things being fixed where since the beginning there has always been the same problems that never get fixed.  to start i'll say the obvious "zombies walking through anything" bug.  it obviously hurts the playability of it because it's almost impossible to get away from a zombie/zombies which is a problem before you find any good weapons.

so;

1.zombies can walk through anything

2.zombies that sometimes do not die (usually only with melee weapons)\

3.zombies still have the same old erratic movement as always that makes it very difficult to kill at times.

anyone wanna make any additions?  this list was just to start off, if we make it big enough and list the concerns we most want fixed maybe developers will see this and focus on fixing things that the players (who payed for their absolute mess of an alpha game) want fixed first.

• Like 1

Here we go again.     Get ready to get flamed for not understanding how gane development works.   Apparently, Im really dumb for not getting this either.

Really depends on how they're approaching the project. Traditionally it would look like:

Alpha = Build content

Beta = Fix bugs for (mostly) complete content

Release = Beta minus bugs and complete content

If they're doing this in a Scrum fashion they should be bug fixing as they develop, rather than developing a huge backlog of bugs they may or may not get to address at the end. 

They seem to be doing this in big horizontal slices:

- All content

then

-All bugs

then

-All release

Rather than vertical slices of the application where they do some content, fix all bugs related to THAT content, release that slice of content bug free, then move on to the next content. 

• Like 1

Here we go again.     Get ready to get flamed for not understanding how gane development works.   Apparently, Im really dumb for not getting this either.

just saying, it's the same problems that there were even in the original mod from almost 2 years ago.  you think they'd bhave fixed it by now.  but i guess i should expect 'programmers' to come in and yell at me ffor not being a programmer and understanding everything about it.

if anything i'd say the devs could start a kickstarter or something that could fund professional dev teams to help for a few months. 

OP ITS AN ALPHA

Shouldn't have bought the GAMEEEE, ROCKET SAID IT WAS UNFINSHED 

Also stop complaining  ITS AN ALPHA, ITS ONLY BEEN IN DEVELOPMENT FOR 1.5+ YEARS!!!!!!

^^^^^^^

This is the reply you will get from everyone. Prepare to get flamed, also 1.5 years of development but yeh.

just saying, it's the same problems that there were even in the original mod from almost 2 years ago.  you think they'd bhave fixed it by now.  but i guess i should expect 'programmers' to come in and yell at me ffor not being a programmer and understanding everything about it.

if anything i'd say the devs could start a kickstarter or something that could fund professional dev teams to help for a few months. 

This game has made more than enough to hire an army of programmers, but still they decide content is more valuable than stability. personally, if they were to patch even ONE bug, and release it EVERY wednesday, i'm sure the majority of people would be happy. instead we have to wait months on end just to have content (that isn't really even needed ATM) added to the still broken game. I mean, ooooooohhhh physics system! that's niice! [sarcasm] too bad we don't have any means of storing items over long term periods... if only there were a...hmm... deployable item maybe? that you could stash somewhere? hmm... i don't think anything exists like that in anything ever related to dayz.

Seriously though, with all of the copy-pasted content from arma 2/3, you think a simple tent would be fairly easy. I mean seriously, dayz, i love you, but you're dying.

/endrant

Edited by OMGItzGnaR
  • Like 2

Imagine if they got paid by tears...........  What a Game we would have then

Please use the SEARCH FUNCTION

• Like 1

OP ITS AN ALPHA

Also stop complaining  ITS AN ALPHA, ITS ONLY BEEN IN DEVELOPMENT FOR 1.5+ YEARS!!!!!!

^^^^^^^

This is the reply you will get from everyone. Prepare to get flamed, also 1.5 years of development but yeh.

too late, they're already here. 

Not sure if troll or just a stupid person.

This game has made more than enough to hire an army of programmers, but still they decide content is more valuable than stability. personally, if they were to patch even ONE bug, and release it EVERY wednesday, i'm sure the majority of people would be happy. instead we have to wait months on end just to have content (that isn't really even needed ATM) added to the still broken game. I mean, ooooooohhhh physics system! that's niice! [sarcasm] too bad we don't have any means of storing items over long term periods... if only there were a...hmm... deployable item maybe? that you could stash somewhere? hmm... i don't think anything exists like that in anything ever related to dayz.

Seriously though, with all of the copy-pasted content from arma 2/3, you think a simple tent would be fairly easy. I mean seriously, dayz, i love you, but you're dying.

/endrant

That feel of denial, then realizing its true. 

A sad day indeed. 

OP ITS AN ALPHA

^^^^^^^

This is what makes me worried. I'm okay playing an Alpha and I get that there will be bugs, and we've been warned accordingly. But, coming from an IT background, it is worrying to see how development has evolved in this long timeline, and makes me wonder if the dev team has the organization and legs to take this all the way. My gut and experience in this field says no, and what we'll end up with is a somewhat polished beta. And that may be okay. For an alpha I still have a hell of a time, but would really like to see the roadmap played out well. 

• Like 1

I don't care if this new team takes months to do the zombies, as long as they do them well. Even 6 months from now would be well within projected alpha time.

They do have a survival sim to build in the meantime, survival mechanics could be arguably more "core" than zombies. Without that its just another zombie game.

OP there is a list the devs look at all the time....the dav tracker. Upvote these issues if you want them solved. But assigning a whole team to zombie AI....what more can we really ask them to do :)

Edited by Karmaterror

This is what makes me worried. I'm okay playing an Alpha and I get that there will be bugs, and we've been warned accordingly. But, coming from an IT background, it is worrying to see how development has evolved in this long timeline, and makes me wonder if the dev team has the organization and legs to take this all the way. My gut and experience in this field says no, and what we'll end up with is a somewhat polished beta. And that may be okay. For an alpha I still have a hell of a time, but would really like to see the roadmap played out well. 

It's good to see that from your IT perspective. I'm from a business (and marketing) background. I already made a detailed argument pointing out the sales and cost to continue with the target market, but got insta flamed by everyone who disagreed. 

I don't care if this new team takes months to do the zombies, as long as they do them well. Even 6 months from now would be well within projected alpha time.

They do have a survival sim to build in the meantime, survival mechanics could be arguably more "core" than zombies. Without that its just another zombie game.

OP there is a list the devs look at all the time....the dav tracker. Upvote these issues if you want them solved. But assigning a whole team to zombie AI....what more can we really ask them to do :)

still though. almost 2 years they've been doing this.  most "professional" developers can make a complete working game in a year from scratch.  they already had arma's base mechanics.

still though. almost 2 years they've been doing this.  most "professional" developers can make a complete working game in a year from scratch.  they already had arma's base mechanics.

So much truth in this thread. 

That's what makes me feel like they lack hard direction. Rocket has all these great ideas, but the dev team comes across like dogs chasing cars. They get on a good path, someone has a new (good) idea, and suddenly they're off on that tangent without finishing the last. We all do it, however when developing a lasting product you simply have to be disciplined enough not to. They need more separation of ideas vs. leadership. The ideas are important, but they need to leadership to drive them to completion on ideas.

I'd rather 10 complete "ideas" over 25 50% complete "ideas" personally. 

OP you do realise theres already a section in the forums for bugs and suggestions right?

Not true, they take much longer just aren't open to public testing. This game isn't taking any longer, we are just allowed to watch as it takes shape. total of 3-4 years is an ok development time for a game. I read somewhere that Chernarus took 5 years to build.....5 years! :) 

They have stripped so much from arma, most recently mouse acell. By the end of alpha I don't think much will be left at all. Its like gutting an engine and rewriting it.

They are also heavily focusing on updating the engine and moving it forward. Pulling out the renderer to make way for better direct x. Also trying to get 64bit servers going. Better multi-core support, its all being addressed. That's about as core as it gets, and is very keyed in on bringing the engine forwards, removing some inherent flaws. Not to mention they are still adding items and mechanics in the meantime

There plan seems good to me....update engine, other team works on zeds, all the time adding content that will function even when the engine updates are applied....patience is key, 4 months in is just to early for the whole "loosing faith" talk :)

• Like 1

Not true, they take much longer just aren't open to public testing. This game isn't taking any longer, we are just allowed to watch as it takes shape. total of 3-4 years is an ok development time for a game. I read somewhere that Chernarus took 5 years to build.....5 years! :)

They have stripped so much from arma, most recently mouse acell. By the end of alpha I don't think much will be left at all. Its like gutting an engine and rewriting it.

They are also heavily focusing on updating the engine and moving it forward. Pulling out the renderer to make way for better direct x. Also trying to get 64bit servers going. Better multi-core support, its all being addressed. That's about as core as it gets, and is very keyed in on bringing the engine forwards, removing some inherent flaws. Not to mention they are still adding items and mechanics in the meantime

There plan seems good to me....update engine, other team works on zeds, all the time adding content that will function even when the engine updates are applied....patience is key, 4 months in is just to early for the whole "loosing faith" talk  :)

best argument in the whole thread, i totally agree although i wish they would have restarted from mostly the beginning especially when zombies are concerned, they were always broken.

OP you do realise theres already a section in the forums for bugs and suggestions right?

yes, but this isn't about bugs and suggestions, it's about which ones we believe should be dealt with instead of the current trend of them adding all the random features.  (like the possibility of adding pooping to the game ->http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/187937-do-you-want-pooping-in-this-game/

best argument in the whole thread, i totally agree although i wish they would have restarted from mostly the beginning especially when zombies are concerned, they were always broken.

yes, but this isn't about bugs and suggestions, it's about which ones we believe should be dealt with instead of the current trend of them adding all the random features. (like the possibility of adding pooping to the game ->http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/187937-do-you-want-pooping-in-this-game/

Lord almighty im sorry i want on that thread. Also apparently pooping is confirmed as there is a picture in one of these threads.

Lord almighty im sorry i want on that thread. Also apparently pooping is confirmed as there is a picture in one of these threads.

i also believe there's a pregame model of flying poop too.

i also believe there's a pregame model of flying poop too.

yeah i saw that i figured it was for it falling not from being thrown though.

That feel of denial, then realizing its true. 

A sad day indeed. 

You sir, are one of the few people here who can actually think. I'm rly glad that this forum hasn't been overtaken by Deanists yet.

PS: Could you please send me the link to your post about the sales of the game?

• Like 1

Hello there

Its not a case of being dumb, its a case of being directed to the correct place for that feedback or indeed edumacating oneself on the current situation.

Its not that difficult IMHO.

if it is hard for "joe average" you'd be better off trying to inform us as to where we are going wrong.

Rgds

LoK

You sir, are one of the few people here who can actually think. I'm rly glad that this forum hasn't been overtaken by Deanists yet.

PS: Could you please send me the link to your post about the sales of the game?

Here you go 

Jesus, I can't say how wrong you are in that post. 

30$ for an alpha allowed them to make massive revenue before releasing a stable working product. They made millions doing this way. If they would have released it full price for an Alpha the sales would be less then half, guaranteed in addition to be frowned on as the only company to charge full price for an alpha , and if they would have just released the full game in a few years at full price, then sales would be even less because competition and the lose of interest would eat away at their sales. Not to mention people's expectations would be much higher.

In doing this amazing kickstarter they were able to assure themselves that profits were made regardless of the development of dayz. They are allowed to develop at their own pace regardless of pressure. 

Also, they will refrain from spending to much of the revenue made to speed up developments for one simple reason; most of the people who were going to purchase dayz, already did. Why invest more then they have to in a project that will no longer reel in major profits?

Less money in development + slower progress = more profits 

Everyone must remember, that BIS is nothing but a company. While they do their very best to make their consumers happy, their primary goal is to make money.

tl:dr

1) Releasing alpha at 30$ was the only way to make their maximum revenue (unless dayz suddenly became 10x better and the market grew exponentially)

2) Most of the money made of the early access will not be reinvested into the creation of dayz. 

Now you may say I do not have any knowledge in videogame creation, and your right about that; however, if there is something i do know, is the way companies work to maximize profits  

• Like 1