Jumbaliah

Do you want pooping in this game?

To poop or not to poop  

616 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want pooping?

How was this irrelevant, games need to be fun, if you are having fun, by taking a virtual dump, there is something wrong with you.

Your dismissal of an issue, based on the fact that we don't "need" it to have fun, is what is irrelevant. Nothing is "needed" in DayZ, but it is nonetheless added because of what it adds to the experience. Pick an item/mechanic in DayZ, and you can make the argument that we don't "need" it. We don't need vehicles to have fun in DayZ, yet they're inbound.

I'd have fun if I had to purify my water, because of the off-chance that some douchenozzle bandit might've contaminated it via defecation.

As an aside, why do people only focus on the fact that defecating is "realistic"? I don't give a shit if it's realistic or not, I care about what it has the potential to contribute to DayZ. Why is purposefully defecating to contaminate a water supply somehow over the line?

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

I can see it now. People breaking other players legs so that they can shit on them as they try to crawl off.

This is when you pull out the magnum/sawed-off shotgun you've hidden somewhere on your person and literally blast them a new asshole.

As for the rest of your post that I didn't quote, I pretty much agree. I am part of a realism unit in Day of Defeat: Source, and, even though we try to play the game adn run our unit as realistically as possible, we all realize that it IS a video game, and there's a certain amount of realism that just won't happen due to the game mechanics. I feel the same should be expected from this game.

First off, there's all of the points being made about how this could be abused by (the relatively few; J/K) immature people that already have the game, not to mention all those that have yet to pick it up. It's inevitable. That's just a fact. Regardless of how "realistic" it would make the game, as many have stated, there simply has to be a line somewhere, and I think that may definitely be it.

Secondly, from a programming standpoint, just the amount of time and energy that would have to go into creating something like that (and especially animating it) could DEFINITELY be put to better use elsewhere in the game (I think the current state of the game proves that). No sense in wasting so much time on something that will likely piss many people off and discourage serious playing to the point that it would eventually be simplified/removed altogether. There are plenty of other games out there where ridiculous players can get their jollies by teabagging people they've "pwnt"; we don't need to waste time that could be better spent fixing the zombie mechanics or implementing survival mechanics on something that will inevitably end up being so ridiculously juvenile. Serious gamers have to have SOME sort of multiplayer respite from all of that.

Third, in regards to the realistic aspect of it, sure, it could create a more immersive experience, but, as many people have stated, so could a number of things that really just don't belong in a game, e.g. fapping, picking your nose and wiping it on a tree, chewing gum and blowing bubbles, clipping your toenails, moar fapping, etc. There is a point where TOO MUCH realism can break the experience, and, honestly, it's really just rather ironically unrealistic to expect that much realism from a video game, at least until holodeck-style technology is invented, where you really can't tell the difference between what's "real" and what isn't.

This being said, it would be interesting if there were sicknesses and diseases that supposedly stemmed from fecal contamination, without there actually having to be turds floating in the pond, for example. You could simply have a message when drinking from a contaminated water source that says something like "this water tastes funny" or "someone has put poop in this water" (nod to the Morgan Freeman Dayz adventures), and then eventually become sick from it with actual diseases that stem from fecal contamination, e.g. e-coli (just as an example). Again, it's a video game, so there's going to be some sort of boundary for absolute realism, and I just think this would cross it.

• Like 3

Defecation provides a player-initiated way of spreading disease. Short of giving folks vials of disease as a looted item, I don't foresee a way to do this otherwise. I mean one could theoretically snuggle in with some other players if that's how disease transfer ends up working. But one could just as easily sabotage a water supply. Either way, I'd rather multiple vectors than one.

I see a lot of ways. You could add smear infection and you could add droplet transmission, in "Plague Inc." those are very effective ways to spread a disease, while defecation works rather in highly populated areas. Because - simply put - nature absorbs it and on a map with only 100 players it is more probable that a dead animal or player lays somewhere in a pond than that someone defecates in there. Except when he is doing it with purpose and that is where player behavior makes it an unrealistic feature, because humans don't defecate in water normally. Why should they? It makes no sense at all.

So I think there are far better ways to spread diseases. Like coughing and sneezing, which has many more advantages. For example sneezing can affect many other player interactions, like when you are hiding somewhere.

• Like 1

I see a lot of ways. You could add smear infection and you could add droplet transmission, in "Plague Inc." those are very effective ways to spread a disease, while defecation works rather in highly populated areas. Because - simply put - nature absorbs it and on a map with only 100 players it is more probable that a dead animal or player lays somewhere in a pond than that someone defecates in there. Except when he is doing it with purpose and that is where player behavior makes it an unrealistic feature, because humans don't defecate in water normally. Why should they? It makes no sense at all.

So I think there are far better ways to spread diseases. Like coughing and sneezing, which has many more advantages. For example sneezing can affect many other player interactions, like when you are hiding somewhere.

Why can't we have many vectors then, including defecation? Why is defecating somehow illegitimate and "too realistic" whereas sneezing in someone's face is totally cool and reasonable? They accomplish the same goal, through different means/applications (which can complement one another).

To be honest, I think people are solely keying in on the societal taboo around defecation, rather than just dealing with the idea of a purposefully spread disease.

Edited by Katana67

I'd have fun if I had to purify my water, because of the off-chance that some douchenozzle bandit might've contaminated it via defecation.

Don't you think that this kinda sounds wrong in multiple levels?

If you want water contamination,i'm sure you could achieve this by other

means other than defecating (toxic waste,etc).

• Like 2

I'm sorry but that's a terrible idea. I thought this was a joke poll until I read a little more about it.

Can't believe they're even considering that. :(

• Like 1

Don't you think that this kinda sounds wrong in multiple levels?

If you want water contamination,i'm sure you could achieve this by other

means other than defecating (toxic waste,etc).

Sure, but why is defecation over the line? Why can't we have multiple ways of contaminating things?

And I think people are forgetting that this is actually a mechanic endorsed by Rocket as well. So it's not out of thin air that this materializes.

Edited by Katana67

Your dismissal of an issue, based on the fact that we don't "need" it to have fun, is what is irrelevant. Nothing is "needed" in DayZ, but it is nonetheless added because of what it adds to the experience. Pick an item/mechanic in DayZ, and you can make the argument that we don't "need" it. We don't need vehicles to have fun in DayZ, yet they're inbound.

As one smart person above me stated, there are several much better ways, of making this game authentic.

So honestly, this idea from the devs, is one of the worst ones I have ever seen in gaming.I bet people who like this idea, would also love wiping ass in the game, I mean, its so realistic and stuff.

• Like 2

How was this irrelevant, games need to be fun, if you are having fun by taking a virtual dump, there is something wrong with you.

that is where you are wrong. The game not being fun is what made the original fun.

Game needs to be punishing in every aspect.

Needs to be a chore.

As one smart person above me stated, there are several much better ways, of making this game authentic.

So honestly, this idea from the devs, is one of the worst ones I have ever seen in gaming.I bet people who like this idea, would also love wiping ass in the game, I mean, its so realistic and stuff.

Again, I like this idea... yet I don't care about realism and authenticity in this matter. I care about what the concept can add.

The objective of this mechanic isn't to somehow magically render the game wholly authentic/realistic.

that is where you are wrong. The game not being fun is what made the original fun.

Needs to be a chore.

Yeaaaah. Um i play games to have fun. Not because i want a chore simulator.
  • Like 1

Sure, but why is defecation over the line? Why can't we have multiple ways of contaminating things?

And I think people are forgetting that this is actually a mechanic endorsed by Rocket as well. So it's not out of thin air that this materializes.

Well,yes but take in account the gameplay value of this function.We can come up with multiple ways for water contamination

but If we allow poop,it will definetely be missused taking away from the immersion.

(i'm sure a game where you are tied up and fed sh*t isn't the best thing).

Needs to be a chore.

Well,i'm all for sleep in regards of the "chore" game aspect,

but i find pooping highly unnecessary.

Well,yes but take in account the gameplay value of this function.We can come up with multiple ways for water contamination

but If we allow poop,it will definetely be missused taking away from the immersion.

Yep, we can come up with multiple ways. But why is defecation over the line? Because other than the societal taboo of "pooping," I'm not seeing a whole lot of reason to dismiss it as a potential vector for disease.

I'm not sure I get how it'd remove "immersion" as that's an abstract and subjective concept up to the individual.

To your third point, we have no idea whether or not people will be able to be fed feces. It could be done in a very low-key and "tasteful" manner and could be done in such a way that it doesn't actually produce an item. It just creates an effect.

I vote all female characters have their period once a month bcuz realism

Again, focus less on the fact that defecation is "realistic" and focus on what types of gameplay a mechanic such as defecation could create.

Firing bullets is an aspect of "realism", yet it isn't extrapolated into silly anecdotes. And I doubt many folks would consider handloading to be detrimental just because it's "realistic."

I pray that you see the concept that I'm highlighting above, rather than getting caught in the specifics of the analogy above.

Edited by Katana67

Personally I think its a bad idea. The coast will be nothing but shit everywhere. Water supplies could be contaminated with dead zombies, dead animals and dead players..so really do we need poop. I dont think so.

How about dismemberment? Rape? Oh why not? If you can force feed someone a handful of crap...whats wrong with alittle rapey...or cutting off limbs?

Can we poop but not pee? Thats not realistic...what are we ..birds?

just sayin...theres other ways of going about tainting water supplies..

silly idea.

Edited by Stixx
  • Like 1

Well,i'm all for sleep in regards of the "chore" game aspect,

but i find pooping highly unnecessary.

Yea Sleep i think will be vital for when base building and private hives come out. Just like rust your character should lay down in the safety of his base or barricaded home.

Pooping is one of those things that could potentially add tot he immersion and be a valid gameplay mechanic but we wont know for sure unless they add it.

This is the alpha so lets test it right , add it in and see if it improves the game or how people react to it.

• Like 2

It's more of a matter of aesthetics.Look at it this way....

If male survivors could wear skirts,the game would be full of drags.

If we could cannibalize on other survivors,the game would be full of Hanibal Lectors.

If pooping was implemented game would be full of......

• Like 1

Why can't we have many vectors then, including defecation? Why is defecating somehow illegitimate and "too realistic" whereas sneezing in someone's face is totally cool and reasonable? They accomplish the same goal, through different means/applications (which can complement one another).

To be honest, I think people are solely keying in on the societal taboo around defecation, rather than just dealing with the idea of a purposefully spread disease.

It is not illegitimate or a taboo for me but I just don't like it and I try to see more behind the concept than just spreading diseases, because against your point I hold that it is something which is forced on me as a regular activity. For example: I don't kill to my own disadvantage, I wear civilian and only small backpacks to my own disadvantage, in all these cases I am maybe dumb, but I have a choice. But you support something where I cannot choose for a very limited outcome.

I vote all female characters have their period once a month bcuz realism

I read somewhere their periods attract bears. Bears can smell the menstruation.

Well, that's just great. You hear that, Dean? Bears. Now you're putting the whole zombie apocalypse in jeopardy.

Hell no.

They could "model" diarrhea by having you fall unconscious, then waking up a  few minutes later, finding out you just lost a massive amount of water. Have it go on for a few hours, too, to make it the killer it is in a wilderness survival situation. That sounds like a good idea.

But, having a conscious and active shitting activity, with animation and all? Think realistically here. What would it add to the game? And what do you think would be both the first and most prominent usage of said animation?

-Sigh-

i can see it now 

*my clothes are damp with feces

*i am soaked in my own feces

please don't add pooping.

I think the bigger picture needs to be developed before small details such as this are done.

I'm not really a massive fan of being required to take a pee break in game but it wouldn't break the game for me that much since it does add a small value to survival.

I would be extreamly disappointed if this made it in, but a more complex health system, improved zombies, or better carry meathods did not.

I'm for a realistic approach on survival mechanics, just for the sake of it being realistic

Edited by akafugitive

So we're basically going to be scared of dying from everything except the zombies, and staying healthy is going to fuck with group dynamics in a major way. A truly healthy team will be a rarity.

Tbh, I think this is rockets attempt way to deter "KOS"

Because once the whole medical / disease system is implemented into the game.

* The number deaths related to sickness will hit the DayZ community like a massive Tsunami.

• Like 1

Good god, 

I cannot believe, there is a civilized topic on this. Why the hell would you want to add this in game. Why not make the game half decent then decide if you want to add such a useless feature.

Imagine it with the text notifications. 

Please

Please tell me this is a joke thread

please

please

• Like 3

Good god, 

I cannot believe, there is a civilized topic on this. Why the hell would you want to add this in game. Why not make the game half decent then decide if you want to add such a useless feature.

Imagine it with the text notifications. 

Please

Please tell me this is a joke thread

please

please

*i feel hungry

*i am thirsty

*i need to take a sh*t

• Like 1