Jumbaliah

Do you want pooping in this game?

To poop or not to poop  

616 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want pooping?

So I feel that, due to immature gamers and for the sake of keeping the game fun, poop should not be added.

Again: "Immature gamers" is not a valid argument for not adding a realistic game feature, as it is an argument that can be used against any feature in the game. If you single out shitting with this rationale, then yes it is because you are "squeamish".

Edited by BadAsh

Though I don't think I would stop playing dayZ altogether I think I would play private servers that had poop disabled if it were implemented. 

I just see too much opportunity for trolling and griefing.

In a perfect world where all PC gamers were mature than I could see this as being a valid implement. But I think we all know well enough there are too many young kids (and immature adults) that would not take it seriously. 

The last thing DayZ needs is people running around handcuffing each other, and then defecating on one another like some kind of kinky post-apocalyptic scat film.

As for the contamination of water I think it is a great idea but could be implemented without the pooping.

With no one maintaining sewers there is a high risk of a pipe breaking and contaminating wells and bodies of water in the area. As well as untreated water can contain bacteria to begin with, so drinking straight from a pond always has a risk. (There is a reason you boil water if it is untreated.)

It's not a matter of being "squeamish". It's simply that, survival sim or not, DayZ is a video game. So I feel that, due to immature gamers and for the sake of keeping the game fun, poop should not be added.

Im surprised they want to go full realism with shitting and not the aspect that makes combat so brutal. You know the gore...... lol

Hello there

I do think many folk (not all the detractors here) are very iffy about certain things due to their upbringing and unfortunately defecation is one of those things.

One cannot stop "immature" players from being dicks.

Ever been teabagged in a shooter?

No matter what is there, you are going to get idiots.

I dont think we should ruin the game for the majority just because of a small minority.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

-snip-

Well, according to the above poll, the majority of players do not want a pooping mechanic.

I, for one, wouldn't mind it so long as it were done tastefully, with little chance for abuse. It is a "realistic" aspect of survival. Maybe your screen blacks out, you come back in and you lose some water? Don't include an actual "defecating animation", for the love of God. It is just ASKING for players of a certain mindset to utterly ruin and fuck with the rest of the player population.

It's not a matter of being "squeamish". It's simply that, survival sim or not, DayZ is a video game. So I feel that, due to immature gamers and for the sake of keeping the game fun, poop should not be added.

Stop viewing it as a simple video game that might be the problem.

Think of it as a sim first and a multiplayer game second.

As for everyone else let it get introduced and you actually give it a try before you denounce this feature.

Me neither. The opposition against it is indeed very emotional and vocal, but I have yet to see any rational arguments against it.

How about that it's completely unnecessary. It serves no purpose if they implement other ways of transmitting disease.

Well, according to the above poll, the majority of players do not want a pooping mechanic.

I, for one, wouldn't mind it so long as it were done tastefully, with little chance for abuse. It is a "realistic" aspect of survival. Maybe your screen blacks out, you come back in and you lose some water? Don't include an actual "defecating animation", for the love of God. It is just ASKING for players of a certain mindset to utterly ruin and fuck with the rest of the player population.

Hello there

The above poll does NOT represent the entire community.

How about that it's completely unnecessary. It serves no purpose if they implement other ways of transmitting disease.

Why is it unnecessary?

Rgds

LoK

Hello there

Why is it unnecessary?

Rgds

LoK

Do we "need" defecation in the game? Of course not. That's why it's unnecessary.

Do we "need" defecation in the game? Of course not. That's why it's unnecessary.

Hello there

There are many things we dont "need" that does not invalidate them.

Defecation, if you take a minute to think about it could add a whole range of mechanics and situations to the game.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Hello there

Defecation, if you take a minute to think about it could add a whole range of mechanics and situations to the game.

Rgds

LoK

All of those things could be accomplished using an alternate method. The negatives far outweigh the positive benefits IMHO.

• Like 1

Hello there

Rgds

LoK

Orlok, I think the problem is, that lots of players (including me) are simply scared that this poop mechanic can be abused in a very humiliating way and would for sure take antisocial behaviour in videogames to a whole new level.

Yes, force feeding rotten fruits is humiliating enough.

Of course we don't know HOW it will be added to game and lots of players would probably be very fine if this could not be abused by means of

- throwing at

- force feeding to

- or pooping on other players

A simple statement by any of the developers involved would be appreciated from my side.

If it can not be abused in the ways above, it would probably be okay for me. (e.g. seeking a bathroom, having no poop animation but maybe only sounds (disgusting enough))

Be asured if one of the three options above (or any other ways which allow humiliation of other players including scat and pee) will be added to the game I will quit the very same day and for sure I will raise to question Rocket's signature.

I don't care if my oposite is 12, 22 or 32 years old. This would simpy go too far (for me).

Hello there

I very much doubt that waste would be allowed to be force fed. We cant rule it out, but its unlikely. The same with throwing and relieving oneself on a player.

Also, I doubt there'll be a high definition animation of the actual relieving process showing every nook and cranny.

If one is into survival, then one has to appreciate that waste material, including bodily ones is something that has to be tackled.

But compare "pooping" to gutting a rabbit. Personally i find gutting an animal hideous but in a survival situation it has to be done. But look how that has been accomplished in this and other games, its rather tame and very few people are offended by it take Farcry3 for example.. I believe it will be the same with defecation. Yes it will be there, but not in a gratuitous way.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

Hello there

I very much doubt that waste would be allowed to be force fed. We cant rule it out, but its unlikely. The same with throwing and relieving oneself on a player.

Also, I doubt there'll be a high definition animation of the actual relieving process showing every nook and cranny.

If one is into survival, then one has to appreciate that waste material, including bodily ones is something that has to be tackled.

But compare "pooping" to gutting a rabbit. Personally i find gutting an animal hideous but in a survival situation it has to be done. But look how that has been accomplished in this and other games, its rather tame and very few people are offended by it take Farcry3 for example.. I believe it will be the same with defecation. Yes it will be there, but not in a gratuitous way.

Rgds

LoK

Thank you Orlok for being one of the few with their head screwed in properly on this forum. So many reactions to proposals, (especially this kind) tend to be of the knee jerk kind...

• Like 1

I agree with Survivor35 on this one. As long as there's no squatting animation and no physical "poop" in the game then I'm fine with it.

If all we get is some text in the game saying what you've done then I can't complain.

IMHO adding defecation to the game isn't going far enough, we need all sorts of things to make this game more realistic hear me out I've got a few ideas.

1. Nail Clipping:  Our characters sometimes live for more than a few weeks have you ever tried going three or more weeks without cutting your nails you would end up with some pretty lethal daggers.  We can even turn it into a little mini-game that behaves like the surgeon simulator game.  If you screw up your character accidentally cuts himself with the nail clippers and you have to bandage yourself then sanitize the clippers to continue.

2. Realistic cooking:  With this mechanic you will need to find a meat thermometer to check every once in awhile to see if your food has been cooked to the right temperature otherwise you might end up with E.coli poisoning or worms.  Cooking would be in real time so you'd have to hang around that campfire for a bit while your pork chops are cooking.

3. Allergies:  I don't know about you guys but when its nice outside my sinuses go into a frenzy and we can put this in-game where every character on re-spawn has some unknown allergy.  Wouldn't it be fun to find a can of salted peanuts eat a few and then go into cardiac arrest  because it turns out your character had a severe peanut allergy.  Add in some drug stores Dean because we are going to a lot of epinephrine and Zirtek.

4. Laundry:  Again out characters can survive for multiple days and with all that running we must sweat a metric ton, so we will need a way to wash out clothes every so often otherwise we could get sick from the smell.  So you would have to find something to use as a clothes line and some laundry soap, then you just head on down to a stream or any body of water and spend some time washing your clothes then hanging them up to dry on your homemade clothes line.

Believe me guys with all these mechanics we will have a great time experiencing realism.  I have no idea why people will think that adding poop to the game will lead to it being abused I mean we are all mature players here right?  So what is with the arguments against it.

/end sarcasm

As many others have pointed out this mechanic really serves no purpose.  If I wanted to baby-sit an avatar that I have to feed, clothe, and make it go use the toilet I could go watch my niece for my step brother and it would be a real living person not a bunch of pixels.  This game already is a huge time-sink with having to find friends, getting kicked from servers and dealing with rubber banding that sends me back a few hundred meters.  I mean could you imagine rubber banding and using a defecation mechanic and have to shit multiple times for it to register.  Just please no.

• Like 2

IMHO adding defecation to the game isn't going far enough, we need all sorts of things to make this game more realistic hear me out I've got a few ideas.

1. Nail Clipping:  Our characters sometimes live for more than a few weeks have you ever tried going three or more weeks without cutting your nails you would end up with some pretty lethal daggers.  We can even turn it into a little mini-game that behaves like the surgeon simulator game.  If you screw up your character accidentally cuts himself with the nail clippers and you have to bandage yourself then sanitize the clippers to continue.

2. Realistic cooking:  With this mechanic you will need to find a meat thermometer to check every once in awhile to see if your food has been cooked to the right temperature otherwise you might end up with E.coli poisoning or worms.  Cooking would be in real time so you'd have to hang around that campfire for a bit while your pork chops are cooking.

3. Allergies:  I don't know about you guys but when its nice outside my sinuses go into a frenzy and we can put this in-game where every character on re-spawn has some unknown allergy.  Wouldn't it be fun to find a can of salted peanuts eat a few and then go into cardiac arrest  because it turns out your character had a severe peanut allergy.  Add in some drug stores Dean because we are going to a lot of epinephrine and Zirtek.

4. Laundry:  Again out characters can survive for multiple days and with all that running we must sweat a metric ton, so we will need a way to wash out clothes every so often otherwise we could get sick from the smell.  So you would have to find something to use as a clothes line and some laundry soap, then you just head on down to a stream or any body of water and spend some time washing your clothes then hanging them up to dry on your homemade clothes line.

Believe me guys with all these mechanics we will have a great time experiencing realism.  I have no idea why people will think that adding poop to the game will lead to it being abused I mean we are all mature players here right?  So what is with the arguments against it.

/end sarcasm

As many others have pointed out this mechanic really serves no purpose.  If I wanted to baby-sit an avatar that I have to feed, clothe, and make it go use the toilet I could go watch my niece for my step brother and it would be a real living person not a bunch of pixels.  This game already is a huge time-sink with having to find friends, getting kicked from servers and dealing with rubber banding that sends me back a few hundred meters.  I mean could you imagine rubber banding and using a defecation mechanic and have to shit multiple times for it to register.  Just please no.

Some of the developers must be a big fan of Tamagotchi games.....lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamagotchi

Which is exactly what i don't want this game turning into.

• Like 1

well if there will be pooping, i will eat only rice / bread, so i no need to poop, and drink own piss and use water purification tablets.

/sarcasm off

Realism might be great, but let it be survival game not a simulation of life, i wish better - to see complicated injuries - like liver dmg = 100% death, braking bones - and fixing them will cause you to limp etc.

Ok... I thought that this is a joke thread, but apparently it's not. First I was thinking "what's the reason for this shit", but contamination and it used as a weapon (arrow tips, bullets, water sources) is a valid point. You can say that carcasses etc. can be used for that purpose but shit is just one more way to do it...and you carry that stuff with you all the time. Dangerous stuff, too, since human feces contains bacteries that target humans.

Also, you are vulnerable, when you are taking a dump. It's hard to move quickly with your pants down (or if you are in a crouching position or whatever way they might implement that pooping animation).

Hunters can see how old animal droppings are so players should be able to do that, too. Is that pile of shit still steaming or is it old news? That texture... so he ate combat bacon and some tuna... (ok, that last part went a bit far).

Finally, forcefeeding... I'm against all restrictions. If you can do something stupid irl, then you should be able to do it in DayZ. My cousin drank dish washer liquid as a kid and docs had to remove a big part of his esophagus. Drinking that stuff was stupid, yes, but totally possible to do. Removing a...feature just because people might get upset is just pampering the masses. If you get caught by other players, prepare for a shitstorm. Personally, I would just run and get shot before bad things started happening.

I voted yes.

Edited by Al Bobo

One way it could be done "tastefully" and have some purpose is like vomiting is done now. You get to defecate if you catch Colera or some specific disease linked to food or water contamination. That way the player has no control over it or at least not without taking some risks - If such a scenario was in place I would bet my beans that players would in fact makes themselves sick on purpose to defecate on players or others... 

Edited by zeroy99

Hello there

Why is it unnecessary?

Rgds

LoK

It doesn't represent the entire community but it does represent a fair sample of the entire community. The sample size may be kind of low as of now but it has been staying around 63% of people who don't want this in the game. All you need for a true sample of a population is a way to randomly select participants without any bias towards the question in hand. I'm not sure what percent of DayZ players are also on the forum, or what percent of forum members aren't on DayZ, but with a few hundred more votes any poll on this forum could be seen as scientifically accurate. (within ~3% deviation from the mean with a few hundred more votes)

If they add pooping into the game I uninstalling until it's modded out...

• Like 1

If they add pooping into the game I uninstalling until it's modded out...

Same. When it goes that route this game is going a route I just don't want it to go. They rumored about it in the mod as well and there was just as much of a kerfuffle at that time as well. 

A lot of people say it's about the fact that kiddies will abuse it and poop on our corpses or throw it around at balota, which is true they will, but it goes much further than that in my eyes:

• It's distasteful - I can't think of any way to implement a mechanic like this without at one time seeing the message on my screen "i really have to take a poop". Even if there is no "high def" visual of you squatting and making a little brown baby it's going to be implied and it's going to leave a sour taste in my mouth. If the screen blacks out and you do your business it's just cheesy, they won't go that route.
  • You can implement all the disease mechanics you want without pooping - Contaminated wells, passing disease onto other survivors, spoiled food, infectious weapons and clothing, etc. All these can be accomplished by other means other than someone took a shit in my well or I crapped my self in a gunfight. 
  • I just don't want to think about it - As it is currently and I hope it continues to expand (in a different direction) you are constantly thinking about the health of your character. Thinking about where you will get your next meal, especially if you are travelling long distances, being prepared for broken legs or zombie attacks with the right equipment are all justifiable means of survival that I want to think about in a video game. They are fun and I enjoy it. Needing to find a spot to crap between my journey from NE to NW is not fun and I don't want to have to even think about it while playing a game. 
  • It's going to be broken and unrealistic just to be a nuisance - Ever go a week without taking a dump? I have. Especially on a low calorie diet such as our survivors are you can probably get away with only needing to take a crap once every other maybe every third day. When it's implemented in DayZ you can almost guarantee you will have to take a crap every third can of food you eat. 
  • The Walking Dead doesn't focus on their characters pooping - AMC's hit zombie drama doesn't focus on their characters taking a crap and how they overcome the struggle without any toilet paper. It may be in an episode or two but if it's in DayZ you will take thousands of shits within the course of a couple hundred hours of play. So how does the hit T.V. show overcome not having the depth of "realism" you would encounter in a real life situation? By just not including it... by making your audience assume that the process takes stage somewhere off screen, because who cares about when the main star of a T.V. series, or your video game character, has to take a dump? 
  • If it's implied our characters sleep while we're "offline" it can be implied they poop then, tooYou play for 12 hours straight and run across the map 3 times. You're not tired and don't need to sleep. But you took a crap 4 times on your journey. 

Talking to a friend on steam voice:

"Hey, I just spawned and found some food, water, a fire axe and some clothing. I'm gonna duck out to the woods and take a shit then lets meet up in balota"

Edited by Jumbaliah
  • Like 3

YES! YES! YES!  - We need it!

Pooping suffers of an extreme lack of underrepresentation in contemporary media, although it is a central aspect to our everyday life.

End the discrimination! Dayz is a revolutionary game, and should therefore pursue revolutionary goals!

Freedom for the poop! Vive l'excréments!

• Like 1

Another thing is that it could get Rocket and Bohemia in allot of trouble is if this type of mechanic can in fact extend really far and go into sexual territory as a type of fetish related deal. It would be VERY bad. Selling porn to minors would get both him and Bohemia in allot of trouble if they dont play this right. Think about it and tell me im not right. Even video games with sex can get ppl in allot of trouble look what happened to Grandtheft Auto with the Hot Coffee mod.

You can tell me it can be mature all you want but the minute it gets out of hand and talk about it starts spreading around to press "shit" Could literally hit the fan on this mechanic.

Than this will open up a whole can of worms with digital online purchases software and what not and i dont feel like straying from the subject.... @.@

Another thing is that it could get Rocket and Bohemia in allot of trouble is if this type of mechanic can in fact extend really far and go into sexual territory as a type of fetish related deal. It would be VERY bad. Selling porn to minors would get both him and Bohemia in allot of trouble if they dont play this right. Think about it and tell me im not right. Even video games with sex can get ppl in allot of trouble look what happened to Grandtheft Auto with the Hot Coffee mod.

You can tell me it can be mature all you want but the minute it gets out of hand and talk about it starts spreading around to press "shit" Could literally hit the fan on this mechanic.

Than this will open up a whole can of worms with digital online purchases software and what not and i dont feel like straying from the subject.... @.@

trouble with who exactly ?

Is there some international anti pooping police that issues fines and tries to ban games no.

Dayz is a digitally distributed game that is sold through steam it does not have to obey and stupid preset expectations for a video game.

• Like 1