SmashT

Experimental Branch saw many changes in 0.44

Experimental Branch saw many changes in 0.44, which have been released on stable. Two very important changes were improvements to multiplayer netcode and an entirely new mouse control system that removed the previous one based on mouse acceleration.

We’re now continuing our work optimizing and bug fixing, while others in the studio work towards new functionality for hunting and survival.

Respawning Loot Experiments

We have been gathering a huge amount of metrics around loot spawn and distribution from the experimental servers, culminating in a test of an engine based loot respawn system last night on experimental. Out of this we identified some very significant optimizations we can make to how loot is managed, and also identified how we can make loot respawn.

These changes will flow in over time as we are planning to do this in iterations. Most important for us is to allow loot to respawn, even just at a basic level. Once this is done we will focus on persistent items (backpacks, tents, potentially even all or most items). Finally we will focus on globally managed loot.

Graphics Optimization and the Renderer

Work has commenced on disconnecting the renderer directly from the simulation. This would then free us to change (or even replace) the renderer much easier, allowing greater optimization and new functionality such as better particle effects. We have no timeframe for this completion no any specific goals beyond preparing it for future goals, but it’s exciting for us to start this work.

This work will offer us the potential for future very significant client FPS optimizations, such as better scene management, to solve issues people experience such as low FPS in cities.

Network out-of-sync problems

We are also looking at various out-of-sync bugs and other issues posted in the dev tracker. A great deal of progress was made on some issues with the 0.44 patch, so we encourage those having serious network problems to try out the game now with the new update. Many of the remaining issues (such as rubberbanding) are related to low server FPS that will be fixed with performance optimizations.

64-bit Server

This is now fully compiling and ready for test deployment. We are currently scheduled to test this deployment on experimental next week. While it is unlikely to improve performance of the server, it will remove memory limit problems we previously experienced (particularly with the growth of ragdoll and physics in general on the server). It’s also a huge milestone for us in other areas of work focused on making the dedicated server environment much more robust.

From the Lead Artist, Chris Torchia

I’m really happy with the direction of the artwork in DayZ and have to point to my great team of artists who make it happen. Its been another busy week for us and I can’t wait for you guys to see all the new content on the way.

Character Art

We just finished a basic police uniform inspired by some combination of Russian DPS and our local Mestská policie (affectionately known as the Hicks Unit for their enthusiasm with issuing tickets to our own Brian Hicks). We’re starting to play with OMON-inspired riot police uniforms but its a bit too early to show anything. We’re also working on a GORKA-E uniform in multiple patterns and we’re hoping to pick up the pace in this department as we welcome a new full-time character artist to the team. 

Environment

The team would like to focus now on some signature objects to spice up the vast environment and make the new explorable areas more unique.  We’ve just finished a new office building and will start an ornate municipal building which will serve as a land mark in a new large city being constructed by the map design team.  This city, called Novodmitrovsk, will have an industrial zone and is very close in size to Cherno or Electro but located in the north of our terrain.  We’ve also created a ‘graveyard set’ of various objects so the map designers can enhance the gloomy atmosphere.

Animals

Our Bratislava studio is wrapping up the first batch of animals requested by the game designers. The studio’s own animators and programmers will soon begin work on animal AI and animations to deliver an authentic experience for our players. We’re also working on a prototype fish model and an improvised fishing pole as requested by the designers. As an ourdoorsman myself, I’m really looking forward to seeing these survival features develop. 

Weapons

The venerable AKM is nearing completion I don’t want to be held to a specific date for when it will be released to experimental but it won’t be long.  I just tested out the PSO1 scope with a 75 round mag dump.  What have I done? I’ve created a monster! Also, we’ve completed a pistol that I think will give players some new gameplay options. It fires a .30 cal rifle cartridge and comes with a long eye relief scope. We’ve simply taking to calling it the Longhorn.

Animations

Viktor, our animation lead reports that his team was focused mainly on bug fixing in the past week. Many new hand poses were added for items so the player is holding them properly. They’ve also been working on reload animations for the P1 and Longhorn pistols, and AKM. At the same time, the programmers did a great job for allowing synchronization of animations between the bowstring and character hand.  It will also sync across the network since we feel its important for other players to know when the bow is drawn and when its at rest. It’s been a pleasure to see this develop over time and its only going to get better.

tumblr_n4hpa8BkHQ1rd90z0o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4hpa8BkHQ1rd90z0o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4hpa8BkHQ1rd90z0o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4hpa8BkHQ1rd90z0o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4hpa8BkHQ1rd90z0o6_1280.png

tumblr_n4hpa8BkHQ1rd90z0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4hpa8BkHQ1rd90z0o7_1280.jpg

Read on Tumblr

• Like 33

The pig looks cool... but that is not a pig you would find in the wild.

Good point, wild pigs are going to be boars basically... with the tusks and such.

Wow!! :o  Great job!!! Thanks for sharing this!! Looking forward to see the new clothes and animations! :thumbsup: 

Well, I guess it was a pig on a farm, but since the farmers have been infected, the pigs got loose. (like the sheep and cows in the mod) ;)

Edit: Maybe we'll get a wild pig/boar eventually.

Edited by Odin Lowe
  • Like 10

The farm animals didn't suddenly vanish. ;) Looks good guys.

• Like 1

Dat roll of leather/fur tho. 

Please tell me we're gonna be able to craft some mountain man gear.

• Like 1

I understand that... but you don't have to "hunt" farm animals.  With a pig like that you would simply walk up to it and kill it.  It does look amazing though!

Edited by redcoat22
  • Like 1

I understand that... but you don't have to "hunt" farm animals.  With a pig like that you would simply walk up to it and kill it.  It does look amazing though!

Have you ever run across a stray cat or dog? Chances are it looks exactly like any domesticated cat or dog and is probably the descendant of a house pet, but chances are you aren't going to be able to walk up and pet it just because it looks that way.

Edited by Hells High
  • Like 1

the pig looks awesome :)

cant wait to massacre it ^_^

• Like 2

Have you ever run across a stray cat or dog? Chances are it looks exactly like any domesticated cat or dog and is probably the descendant of a house pet, but chances are you aren't going to be able to walk up and pet it just because it looks that way.

Have you ever run across a domesticated pig in the forest?  Your analogy is flawed because unlike feral dogs and cats (predators) that roam cities everywhere on the planet, there are no domesticated pigs roaming the brush outside your window. 

'

A domesticated pig, even if it escaped the apocalypse and managed to get into the forest wouldn't last long against coyote, wolves, and all manner of woodland predators.  I can assume you have never actually hunted a pig so let me explain that even If the "farm pig" did manage to find wild pigs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_boar , it would be traveling in small herds of WILD pigs or else dead... thus we still need the wild pig model.

The point being that since "hunting" is the big goal here.. and not "gathering" lost farm animals they simply chose to model the wrong type of pig in this first round.  The pig above looks GREAT and I am glad it will be in the game... it's simply the wrong pig for the intended purpose of being hunted.  I really cannot imagine your angle in this discussion other than to be a forum warrior. 

• Like 7

I really cannot imagine your angle in this discussion other than to be a forum warrior. 

We have a discussion on the farm pig's place (which you commented yourself as saying it could be in the wild) in the game and you have to take it to that level? Better a forum warrior as you say than a forum big-head I feel. I never said a wild boar shouldn't be made either, but your argument appears to be based entirely on the fact that this was the only model completed and shown in this particular dev blog:

"it would be traveling in small herds of WILD pigs or else dead... thus we still need the wild pig model."

Oh well.

Edited by Hells High

They've already showcased hunting a boar. It may have been taken from Arma II, but perhaps it just wasn't worth redoing? Maybe it's in the works? It looked fine either way. 

love especially that part:

Environment

The team would like to focus now on some signature objects to spice up the vast environment and make the new explorable areas more unique.  We’ve just finished a new office building and will start an ornate municipal building which will serve as a land mark in a new large city being constructed by the map design team.  This city, called Novodmitrovsk, will have an industrial zone and is very close in size to Cherno or Electro but located in the north of our terrain.  We’ve also created a ‘graveyard set’ of various objects so the map designers can enhance the gloomy atmosphere.

LUV!

Thanks for the infos

Now, was it that hard? Now I am satisfied because I now know what is going on with the development. Exactly that is what so many people were talking about - information. 

Even if the written in this thread has been taken from somewhere else, it is now here and people can read it. Keep it going this way SmashT, nice job man.

Beanz, Respect

Edited by MetapoliC
  • Like 2

Awesome patch notes! I'm liking the first impressions of the pig.

I can't wait until they put grizzly bears into the game. I hope they will be able to tear your face off, if you don't kill them first. :)

Shoot bear with .22 sporter. Bear gets pissed off. run like hell.

What would be more hilarious be watching someone get chased by a bunch of zeds AND bears at the same time.

Work has commenced on disconnecting the renderer directly from the simulation. This would then free us to change (or even replace) the renderer much easier, allowing greater optimization and new functionality such as better particle effects. We have no timeframe for this completion no any specific goals beyond preparing it for future goals, but it’s exciting for us to start this work.

This work will offer us the potential for future very significant client FPS optimizations, such as better scene management, to solve issues people experience such as low FPS in cities.

This is big news right here :o

• Like 1

Pigs are known to be one of the fastest evolving animals known to man. A farm-raised pig and grow tusks and turn into a wild boar within a few months.

Work has commenced on disconnecting the renderer directly from the simulation. This would then free us to change (or even replace) the renderer much easier, allowing greater optimization and new functionality such as better particle effects. We have no timeframe for this completion no any specific goals beyond preparing it for future goals, but it’s exciting for us to start this work.

This is big news right here :o

People are in here talking about domesticated pigs when this optimization section is quite possibly the biggest news we've gotten since the release. This. Would. Be. Huge.

• Like 2

pigs :D gonna be fun chasing them

im sure they will add wild boar once they look at different animal AI.  Im happy with just basic farm animals.  as far as i know chernarus is pretty much a farming country/state anyway?

also good to be kept conveniently in the loop this time with development, even if not from the devs.  so our thanks to smashT  :beans:

pigs :D gonna be fun chasing them

im sure they will add wild boar once they look at different animal AI.  Im happy with just basic farm animals.  as far as i know chernarus is pretty much a farming country/state anyway?

also good to be kept conveniently in the loop this time with development, even if not from the devs.  so our thanks to smashT  :beans:

Not from the devs?

Who wrote this? http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/post/83623167155/experimental-branch-saw-many-changes-in-0-44

This is looking rather promising, keep up the work guys!

Awesome ... Just awesome , everything I was hoping for seems like It will be in in the next few months .. Besides barricades :( but it's ok as Long as they give us something survivaly (fire, temperature system, some animals to kill , ya know )..