gibonez

Thread in defense of banditry

In this thread we discuss the defense of a very valid playstyle and the bad game mechanics that the developers add that cater to care bears and that punish our playstyle.

Game mechanics that artificially try to change our playstyle but ultimately fail.

So go forth fellow bandits and display your distaste for crappy game mechanics that punish our playstyle such as items becoming completely damaged and useless when killing players.

And the countless other gamey mechanics that are in the game now or will be added in the future.

• Like 3

Nothing stops me. It is my duty to keep players from feeling safe in this game. You could make it kill me each time I shoot someone, and its all I would do.. gear up, kill and respawn. Over and over. 

KOS and PvP is the only reason I play this game. I could care less about a treasure hunt-jogging-eating-crafting sim. But I do love me some FPS/TPS.

• Like 9

Is this really just a rant-thread? Why exactly? Why not stick to the other threads? What's exactly flawed? The itemdamage is currently bugged, expect that to change. It will be realistic at some point, though. If you shoot things, they break. Not really punishment nor catering carebears.

• Like 7

Nothing wrong with banditry. but annoying that 95% of players you run into will just try to kos. I've met less then 5 people in 120 hours that were not like this. At least make it interesting, a robbery or something.

Edited by meiz22
  • Like 1

KoS and banditry are not the same thing.

:rolleyes: I wish people would figure this out.

How would you describe us then ?

Murderers ?

I kill people in game to ruin their progress I get some satisfaction from knowing they now have to start from scratch. I don't even bother looting their body anymore due to the item damage mechanic i just leave the body there as bait.

• Like 2

I don't consider banditry and murder to be the same thing, even though I've done plenty of both. Regardless, I agree that it's part of the game and wouldn't like cheesy mechanics in place to artificially limit it, and thankfully so do the devs as it's been said in public many times that they'll never try.

Murderers ?

I would. KoS is just senseless murder. I murdered someone for being Scottish the other night, but even that still wasn't KoS.

(Sorry Scottish guy, it was a moment of madness and all in good fun.)

Edited by DarkwaveDomina
  • Like 1

What's exactly flawed? The itemdamage is currently bugged, expect that to change. It will be realistic at some point, though. If you shoot things, they break. Not really punishment nor catering carebears.

I actually find the item damage to be working well.. it deters players from taking horrible shots if they want the gear.

For me a headshot  = every time, all gear is pristine that is not on his head.

Murderers ?

I kill people in game to ruin their progress I get some satisfaction from knowing they now have to start from scratch. I don't even bother looting their body anymore due to the item damage mechanic i just leave the body there as bait.

Murderer fits, if you're doing it just to grief them, then arsehole does too.

• Like 9

I actually find the item damage to be working well.. it deters players from taking horrible shots if they want the gear.

For me a headshot  = every time, all gear is pristine that is not on his head.

It's quite terrible for me at the moment.

1 shotgun blast to the chest of an enemy , ruins everything including every piece of clothing and item within the clothing.

We need a detailed system where clothing items do not absorb any damage but the bullets hit location determines what item gets damaged.

heart shot hits so the item that is in your shirt in the top right corner gets damaged.

It's quite terrible for me at the moment.

1 shotgun blast to the chest of an enemy , ruins everything including every piece of clothing and item within the clothing.

I am no expert in killing people with shotguns, but isn't that how it would work?

• Like 5

KoS and banditry are not the same thing.

:rolleyes: I wish people would figure this out.

Banditry is a general term applied to players that snipe the coast, grief others, and will kill anything they see.

KOS is a term that was applied to players that look for firefights, not survival sim/interaction/etc..

It really does not matter if you mix up that terminology. Only a KOS player would get upset, and any KOS player needs a good rustle every now and then. It helps fuel our fire to go out and kill some more. Its like caring when someone says mag over clip. Who cares? Jesus still loves you if mix it up, so I think I can deal with it too.  :lol:

Didnt know banditry needed defending of any sort, it makes more sense than being a hero.

Banditry is fine. It's also the most valid playstyle in terms of a balance between good loot and safety.. 

Between choosing your own fights, being able to kill/target any player you like, and taking your time to kill a guy with a well placed headshot, you literally have the pick of the litter when it comes to looting.

Also, KOS =/= Banditry;

See a guy with loot you WANT? Kill him, you're a bandit. (or hold him up, but killing him is a way easier method that still doesn't count as KOS)

See a guy with no loot that you want, but kill him anyway? You're killing on sight.

I played bandit for a long time in the mod, I didn't KOS, but I DID kill people who had loot I wanted. That's what being a bandit is about.

Take your time to aim, hit the head, don't ruin gear. It's not that difficult.

• Like 3

I am no expert in killing people with shotguns, but isn't that how it would work?

well there would be damage to the chest and items within the chest area but not ruined backpack or items in the backpack ruined, the pants should also not be damaged if the pellets land within the chest area.

Sorta strange and obviously bugged how it works right now, its like every single item in the body is damaged as soon as you shoot a person with a shotgun.

The m4 is a big culprit too the m4 seems to shred inventory items for some reason too.

That's the way it should be bro. As said before, try some precision. A headshot leaves all that gear intact. You hit someone in the chest with a cloud of heavy buckshot it should ruin their gear. A shotgun is a noob gun or a last resort sawn off anyways, not a prime weapon for killing.

DayZ rule # something, something...

"Each and every player that is a "Carebear", "Hero" or "Bambi" if given enough time and reason will eventually, at least once, turn KOS/Bandit."

That's the way it should be bro. As said before, try some precision. A headshot leaves all that gear intact. You hit someone in the chest with a cloud of heavy buckshot it should ruin their gear. A shotgun is a noob gun or a last resort sawn off anyways, not a prime weapon for killing.

It depends on where the pellets hits, but right now shooting someone in the chest ruins every single piece of kit on them.

Backpack, shirt, jacket, pants and any item inside of em.

Bandits are scrub players They think they are good killing fresh spawns or people trying to gear up. Until they meet a counter snipe unit. Its fun to hear them plead on voip.

• Like 1

well there would be damage to the chest and items within the chest area but not ruined backpack or items in the backpack ruined, the pants should also not be damaged if the pellets land within the chest area.

Sorta strange and obviously bugged how it works right now, its like every single item in the body is damaged as soon as you shoot a person with a shotgun.

I uh.. would link some images if it wouldnt get me banned for good. 

Basically.. you can blow a hole the size of Georgia in someone with a shotgun.. the backpack would disappear essentially. 

Edited by lrish
  • Like 1

Banditry is a general term applied to players that snipe the coast, grief others, and will kill anything they see.

KOS is a term that was applied to players that look for firefights, not survival sim/interaction/etc..

The problem with these general terms in their current use is that they don't really fit their definition. Banditry implies a thief, it doesn't exclude murder but the emphasis is on robbing people, which certainly is not killing on sight. KoS (Killing on Sight) doesn't really fit the profile of someone who looks for firefights either, because they don't always immediately kill someone on sight.

The community has some really skewed ways of describing things sometimes.

• Like 4

It depends on where the pellets hits, but right now shooting someone in the chest ruins every single piece of kit on them.

Backpack, shirt, jacket, pants and any item inside of em.

Personally I haven't noticed 100% item destruction but yes, generally items are devastated after CQB. I won't argue that the system needs tweaking, but item destruction from combat needs to stay in the game,

The problem with these general terms in their current use is that they don't really fit their definition. Banditry implies a thief, it doesn't exclude murder but the emphasis is on robbing people, which certainly is not killing on sight. KoS (Killing on Sight) doesn't really fit the profile of someone who looks for firefights either, because they don't always immediately kill someone on sight.

The community has some really skewed ways of describing things sometimes.

Exactly.. the definition really lost its way in the SA. In the mods it was rarely misused and easily understood what people meant. Now its all convoluted. 

• Like 1

Nothing stops me. It is my duty to keep players from feeling safe in this game. You could make it kill me each time I shoot someone, and its all I would do.. gear up, kill and respawn. Over and over. 

KOS and PvP is the only reason I play this game. I could care less about a treasure hunt-jogging-eating-crafting sim. But I do love me some FPS/TPS.

Whats wrong with CS/BF/COD or the ArmA series itself for that purpose?

I love fortuite pvp in this game, but I have this strong feeling that those like you who enter a game like this just to KoS people do it because it's the only way they can actually kill something, like an unarmed new spawn or someone unaware minding her own bussines. Because when it comes to equal chances and the hunter is also the prey, things dont go that well right? well, If you suck at fps pvp learn, dont go the easy way dude xD

Edited by p4triot

I uh.. would link some images if it wouldnt get me banned for good. 

Basically.. you can blow a hole the size of Georgia in someone with a shotgun.. the backpack would disappear essentially. 

Don't ever expect people who make video games or play video games to have an understanding of what a bullet tearing through flesh/bone/meterial actually does. You get hit in a bone.... it shatters into bone shrapnel... you get the wall shot near you.. you get a concrete sandwich.. you you take a few rands from behind... your food/supplies are shit.

semper fi

• Like 1