Sign in to follow this  
Grimey Rick

Increase traffic inland by removing the tents at Balota

Dont care either way. Until these people learn to use the navigational tools provided I don't think it would change things anyhow. 

Edited by lrish
  • Like 1

I dont think that would change anything - I do think theres entirely too much loot but im certain they plan on changing it again 

• Like 1

What? I don't see anyone at Balota either.

Let them screw around at the coast, gives me some breathing room from the cowards who shoot before shot.

Meh. Balota is actually pretty low-traffic right now, I've only ever seen two people there on full servers since they moved the spawns to the far east. Everyone seems to stick to Berezino and Elektrozavodsk now (I still don't see too many people in Cherno).

I will admit that it's odd to find Staroye, which is like a 10 minute's walk from the coast (with stops at cabins and houses along the way) completely unlooted (including the police station), but I doubt that removing Balota's tents will do anything. If at all, you'll see even less people traveling that far and thus the entire of the west will be completely vacant.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

I've been hovering back and forth between SWAF and NWAF the last few days, and have seen entirely too few people near NWAF. There aren't a whole lot at SWAF either, but definitely more. I know it's been brought up before, but I think NWAF needs to remain the king of military loot. I don't see the point of having military tents at Balota other than to deter people from running to NWAF and looting the places along the way.

I feel that if they reinstated the Kamenka/Balota spawns as well as sprinkling a few here and there between Chernogorsk and Elektrozavodsk, it'd spread us around the map a bit more and keep NWAF as the go-to-place for military loot. I like playing inland for many reason, but I find myself being forced to head to the coast for any kind of player interaction in this multiplayer game.

• Like 1

I am playing on 100/100 Expirimental... there's like 4 people at balota.

js....

I am playing on 100/100 Expirimental... there's like 4 people at balota.

js....

Cool. On the experimental servers the tents are usually looted within an hour. There are definitely fewer people going to SWAF now, but there are definitely more going there than NWAF.

NWAF, the Sobors, Vybor, Lopatino and Grishino are ghost towns now. If we ditched the military tents at Balota and sprinkled spawn locations all along the coast from Kamenka to Svetlojarsk I feel we'd have much better player distribution.

• Like 1

It's part of the problem, sure, but then again... Balota has always been a "military loot" spawn. Even in the mod.

What really needs to happen, are two things. One, the loot bias needs to be moved inland overall. Two, the zombie counts need to be markedly increased on the coast.

This would remedy the two issues that I view to be keeping people on the coast (in addition to just blind PvP). The fact that the coast has the same, if not better loot than inland areas. And the relative risk disparity is not appropriate.

turn the balota airfield into a civilian airport.

No military loot at all.

Then add a military loot halfway up the map perhaps at noby or back at stary.

Just put a bunch of these there instead.. like a survivor encampment gone ghost town.

Day_Z_2014_04_21_15_46_45_258.jpg

• Like 1

There's no reason to really travel. its a general lack of content issue. No storage, no base construction, no vehciles. Removing spawns from costal areas would only be a shoddy and aggravating way to "force" people to go to the new spawn locations. im 100% against gameplay steering like this.

Once vehicles and some form of storage or construction are added traffic will expand as clans/squads will want to base up in more remote locations to minimize thru traffic around their bases.

There's no reason to really travel. its a general lack of content issue. No storage, no base construction, no vehciles. Removing spawns from costal areas would only be a shoddy and aggravating way to "force" people to go to the new spawn locations. im 100% against gameplay steering like this.

Once vehicles and some form of storage or construction are added traffic will expand as clans/squads will want to base up in more remote locations to minimize thru traffic around their bases.

That's part of the issue, yes.

However, one man's "gameplay steering" is another man's "broadening the use of the map".

I want to eventually, see the coast be a place to which people return, rather than spawn and stay. It should be a dangerous area in terms of zombie density, but there should perhaps be unique spawns there. So that the player has to be geared/grouped to actually navigate the coast effectively.

Edited by Katana67

kind of on board with this response. I don't really think that forcing this would make any difference. The mechanic that enticed players to travel around was mainly persistent storage, and then other perks that helped fortify those those thoughts. 

I just think of human beings with that. I think about Native Americans and how they traveled. They always had the ability to tether from their shelter that stored their belongings. 

If we just wait, these features will be added, and I think you'll see a lot more roaming about the map.

I'm not saying improvements can't be made, but that people hanging around on the coast is largely due to the lack of mechanics in the game at the moment. I also think that solution is two-fold. Once you have people with the ability to store shit, they will have a bigger potential arsenal, making coastal bandits a bigger threat, eventually forcing people to run inland to spread out and get away from those threats. 

That would also make balota and nwaf a hotbed sausage-fest for assholes (as it once was). I have no problem staying away from those areas, because there are alternative places to loot that can yield very close to the same results in terms of quality lewtz (know where to look). I also think they will change places to find 'leet scopez' and the like within a year, making those places not worthless, but somewhat obsolete. They aren't focusing so much on that at the moment because it's a massive project with many other priorities, i'm sure. All in due time.

Edited by Gekkonidae

There's no reason to really travel. 

Ive been milling it over for a while now why people dont play DayZ like they did in the mod. I chalked it up to new player base not knowing map and the whole what you know is most comfortable thing applying. But now I realize you're right. Its more so about not needing to travel inland, so its really only the looted servers and rare explorers or veterans that you find up north and out west. The rest just dont need to go inland, and why would you if you dont need to? 

Damn.. now I question my existence up North. I could be killing 100's in Svetlo instead of 10's at the NWAF.  :huh:

• Like 1

That's part of the issue, yes.

However, one man's "gameplay steering" is another man's"broadening the use of the map".

I want to eventually, see the coast be a place to which people return, rather than spawn and stay. It should be a dangerous area in terms of zombie density, but there should perhaps be unique spawns there. So that the player has to be geared/grouped to actually navigate the coast effectively.

I think perhaps you took "gameplay steering" the wrong way. What I mean is that its should be 100% true sandbox, emergent, player's choice. Not "game design" more ore less forcing you to go to A instead of B because that's the only place you can get something you vitally need to be effective.

I agree they should make use of the whole map. More unique spawns in each town would be an interesting way to encourage travel. But also additional content to promote Long-term group play Vs. Let me gear up, kill someone, and die then repeat. (which is what the SA currently offers.) there is no real incentive to work together until you can start working towards things like bases, vehicles which are a nightmare to fix and maintain, etc.

This stuff that many refer to as "end-game content" think the massive fortress bases made by 20-30 man clans on epoch- weeks of resource management and construction and crafting- All the while having to defend your base from other clans and lone PvPer's & and bandits this sort of content will see people using the map more strategically and playing in groups cooperatively will be the way to succeed.

with that all out there, I must re-state my original opinion tho, that taking valuable tiems from an existing spawn to "push" people to go somewhere is not the way to make a good sandbox.

the way its set up now you need to move far west across  the map to get to either nwaf or balota

Edited by qww

Meh. Balota is actually pretty low-traffic right now, I've only ever seen two people there on full servers since they moved the spawns to the far east. Everyone seems to stick to Berezino and Elektrozavodsk now (I still don't see too many people in Cherno).

I will admit that it's odd to find Staroye, which is like a 10 minute's walk from the coast (with stops at cabins and houses along the way) completely unlooted (including the police station), but I doubt that removing Balota's tents will do anything. If at all, you'll see even less people traveling that far and thus the entire of the west will be completely vacant.

I agree, I barely ever see people at Balota!!! With 257 hours I can count all the people I've seen at Balota.

1 guy with a big orange backpack running towards tent city

2 irish kids in the glitch wall arguing with me about weather or not scotland is in the UK

3-4 clan members that owned the server I was on and they were protecting the airbase.

To be honest, I want them to move the spawns back near Balota, but to REALLY tone down the loot you can get there. I really like to snipe down on to Balota from Cherno Towers... Hehe...

*PS - Those encounters were only when I was ON the airfield. I've seen more while sniping, but you always see tons of people while sniping no matter what city/airfield you're looking onto.

I've thought of their eastern spawn point moves more as a placeholder to attempt to both somewhat equalize the chance of getting good loot and to also attempt to make people travel a little, while they worked on filling more gaps. I don't think it's their end game, but it is effective. I get a little sad seeing piles of instant gratification or un-experienced new players fist fighting on the coast while I run to cherno and clean house with literally no one there. I might feel that way for now, but it is what it is. I like exploring, but then again I came from the mod when it just started and have a little history on DayZ as a whole to help with my SA experiences.

Edited by Gekkonidae

I've thought of their eastern spawn point moves more as a placeholder to attempt to both somewhat equalize the chance of getting good loot and to also attempt to make people travel a little, while they worked on filling more gaps. I don't think it's their end game, but it is effective. I get a little sad seeing piles of instant gratification or un-experienced new players fist fighting on the coast while I run to cherno and clean house with literally no one there. I might feel that way for now, but it is what it is. I like exploring, but then again I came from the mod when it just started and have a little history on DayZ as a whole to help with my SA experiences.

I've noticed that there is a ton of geared people out east, and that's because of NEAF. No matter where the spawns are, people are GOING TO GET TO AIRFIELDS SHORTLY AFTER THEY SPAWN. Sad thing is, those people end up dying to fresh spawns quite often. Just earlier today. I ran into a guy near the suicide silo in solnichniy. I waved at him, pointed at him, sat down in front of him, got up. This is the good part. He flipped me off, so I punched him in the head, One, two three punches and all of a sudden, i have a decked-out M4, a long range scope, all the food I could need, and an M1911 with a flashlight and mag... They really need to make it like 6 punches in the head to knock a player out, it's not even funny being able to be knocked out in two hits. Ballistic helmets should also prevent knockouts just as much as a hard hat or a moto-bike helm.

• Like 1

NWAF, the Sobors, Vybor, Lopatino and Grishino are ghost towns now. If we ditched the military tents at Balota and sprinkled spawn locations all along the coast from Kamenka to Svetlojarsk I feel we'd have much better player distribution.

Now? Hell, I havent seen any traffic in those areas since they removed the stary/novy spawns months ago.

I love going to NWAF no matter how many people are on the server. 20 or so minutes of running across empty countryside, culminating in more loot than I can carry with 2 backpacks. Makes no difference that i have to run another 20 minutes to get back to NEAF for the fun.

• Like 1

I am one to guess that they placed the spawns on NE corner to get players into their new towns up there to test them. 

I also have looked at their development of the map and it looks to me like they intend to have a full circle idea, and most likely spawns will be around the edge of the entire map if that happens. That way only the center is void if anything. 

Edited by lrish
  • Like 1

^That would be pretty damn interesting if that does pan out to be true. I always liked completely random spawning in the mod (and the variations of it). I get a sense of that immersion back when I don't know exactly where i'm at, and that feeling of survival is quite clear. I know the routes on these eastern spawns, probably too well.

Edited by Gekkonidae